Mike Maccagnan has built a Jets team he can believe in

Patriot Killa

Mike Maccagnan has built a Jets team he can believe in

By Greg Joyce

With a rather large issue off his plate, Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan began to look ahead Monday but declined to put expectations on the 2018 team.

Coming off back-to-back 5-11 seasons, Maccagnan said there has been no mandate from ownership with regard to a deadline when the Jets must make the playoffs — but he believes the organization is headed in the right direction.

“I don’t want to sit here and say, ‘We are this,’ or, ‘We are that.’ It’s going to work itself out over time,” Maccagnan said Monday at the Jets facility, hours after finally signing Sam Darnold. “Our vision is to build a team that can be competitive for the playoffs year in and year out. I think we have a lot of good, young players. I think we’re in excellent cap shape going forward. Hopefully that will set us up for success possibly this year and into the future.”

As the Jets continue to chase their first postseason appearance since since 2010 — when they lost to the Steelers in the AFC Championship — Maccagnan has been building a young core largely through the draft.

Since he took over as GM in 2015, Maccagnan has picked potential building blocks like defensive end Leonard Williams (in 2015), linebackers Jordan Jenkins and Darron Lee (in 2016) and safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye (in 2017). The young core did not go unnoticed despite a challenging season last fall, he said.

“Honestly, after this season, one of the things I always remember talking about with my friends on other teams that we played was how hard we played, how physical we played,” Maccagnan said. “A lot of those were young guys that were in there and chemistry started to develop and we felt very good about. It’s kind of carried over into this spring. Time will tell how good or bad we are.”

One pick that went the opposite direction was quarterback Christian Hackenberg, the 51st-overall selection in 2016, who was cut this spring without having played a single regular-season snap and is currently without a job.

“I wouldn’t necessarily say it would be a successful pick since it didn’t really turn out the way we ideally wanted it,” Maccagnan said in his first remarks about Hackenberg’s departure. “I think any time you make a pick … you always see potential and risk.”

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the big issue is not finding those true impact players and a qb.  just about every move he made to get rid of the older players would've been done by any gm.  and he didn't make any great moves to bring in more than average players, at least during his first two seasons.  trumaine johnson and even claiborne seem to be pretty solid as do mcclendon and williamson.  we'll see what happens on the oline.  and his drafts haven't been all that great either. this season will be telling.

The window closed quickly on that 2009-2011 Jets team.  It wasn't built to last and the future was mortgaged.  I'm all for building something more sustainable....even if it takes a little longer to get there.  I do think Macc has already accomplished most of the "dirty work" that needed to be done in terms of the purge of legacy players.  Guys who were talented and iconic but aging and expensive (Revis, Mangold, Harris, etc.).  We went through a less than ideal "tanking" effort to position the Jets in the draft.  We've swallowed the bitter pills and written off guys like Wilkerson, Richardson, etc. and Macc cut his losses with Hack, Devin Smith, etc.  Not fun stuff....but necessary.

The Jets have the foundation now IMO.  Young guys, some good but not yet great talent, good chemistry and leadership.  That's what you have to start with....we'll add the "difference makers" once this team looks like it's a consistently .500 or better club.  For Fantasy Football guys it's very interesting to note that the Jets are almost guaranteed to be the very last team to have one of its players drafted.  That tells you something about the lack of difference makers and playmakers here.  But those guys will come eventually....when the foundation has proven solid.  It's like when the Jets added Braylon Edwards and felt that Ladainian Tomlinson was a 1 or 2 year piece to push the team over the top.  We'll get there but now is not yet the time.

I like what Macc has been doing.  He's far from perfect and has had some notable misses in the Draft, but the team is young and solid, he obtained the consensus best QB prospect in the Draft, and he's got a war chest of FA dollars.  The future is bright my brothers.

Totally ignored the offensive line in the draft.

No pass rushers.

No real weapons for the Qb that other teams will have to game plan for.

He has a lot of work to do.  I'd like to see him operate with a real coach though.  The defense has let this team down and the guy responsible for it is the head coach.

I like the long term approach but when we are competetive, there is no harm in taking advantage of Darnold at a reduced rate during his first 5 years if he is “the guy”. Load up on short term quality vets to put us over the top during that window when it opens.

Things will look very different if we resign a Darnold at FQB money so we have to take advantage of the first 5 years. This DOES NOT mean mortgage the future. Roll over whatever you can or load up on cap hits early for long term players while we have all this room and sprinkle in a few quality vets until we have to resign Darnold. If our window doesn’t open within next 5 years, I don’t even know any more. 

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

One pick that went the opposite direction was quarterback Christian Hackenberg, the 51st-overall selection in 2016, who was cut this spring without having played a single regular-season snap and is currently without a job.

Actually, he was traded (miraculously) in the spring and waived in the summer by oakland. Sloppy writing.

Now that we have Darnold, the franchise’s entire strategy changes (or at least it should change). Every single thing the team does should be for the purpose of supporting #14. We got lucky he fell to us, we have no idea if/when we’ll be in this position again so we need to stop with the “build a dominant defense!!1!” approach. All of the premium draft picks and cap space need to go towards offensive linemen and weaponz. 

42 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Now that we have Darnold, the franchise’s entire strategy changes (or at least it should change). Every single thing the team does should be for the purpose of supporting #14. We got lucky he fell to us, we have no idea if/when we’ll be in this position again so we need to stop with the “build a dominant defense!!1!” approach. All of the premium draft picks and cap space need to go towards offensive linemen and weaponz. 

Sorry Todd bowles needs more resources for his defense.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Totally ignored the offensive line in the .

No pass rushers.

He has a lot of work to do.  I'd like to see him operate with a real coach though.  The defense has let this team down and the guy responsible for it is the head coach.

Mac ignores the Oline in FA too. He bargain shops and never goes after a prime player for Oline. There has been no gm Who ignores the Oline more then mac. He doesn’t believe in drafting 1 until fifth round lol. Championships are built with a strong Oline. Why we got close in 09/10, even with a piss poor qb. Sam Darnold turned the ball over a ton last yr, due to bad Oline. Hopefully Mac has seen the error of his ways and starts putting a LOT more effort into building a strong Oline. Or he will soon be gone.  

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No pass rushers.

this, this and this... 

I'm assuming now that we have a QB, and enough invested in defense, that we're going to see that 100$ next year spread around the Oline and Pass Rushers... and we better draft some skill players on offense.

then i'll sing the OP's song.

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No pass rushers.

IMO OL and Weapons will he added after this season. I think that was the right move too, Wes Johnson was so putrid that he made the rest of the OL look terrible. Replace the problem position and reassess. With the weapons we have the opportunity to see Kearse, Robby, and Enunwa all get a lot of work in contract years. IMO it didn’t make sense to add weapons this past offseason when you have the opportunity to build from within.

25 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

IMO OL and Weapons will he added after this season. I think that was the right move too, Wes Johnson was so putrid that he made the rest of the OL look terrible. Replace the problem position and reassess. With the weapons we have the opportunity to see Kearse, Robby, and Enunwa all get a lot of work in contract years. IMO it didn’t make sense to add weapons this past offseason when you have the opportunity to build from within.

He’s had four plus years to build it. Why does he deserve more after failing so mightily thus far?

I dont like the O-line, but the WRs are fine.  They can all get open and catch it..  Anderson is dangerous.Darnold will get the ball to them. The guy they will have to game plan for is Darnold, because he is creative about his playmaking.  I agree, if Mc cown starts, we are pedestrian.

That's great he can believe in them but believing and achieving are 2 different things.  You can believe all day long that you've built the right team but the proof is in the win column.  And Mac thus far, is a loser.  

And I should hope he believes in the team HE put together.  What else is he supposed to say?  I really dont like the players I've acquired and dont believe we're headed in the right direction?

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The window closed quickly on that 2009-2011 Jets team.  It wasn't built to last and the future was mortgaged.  I'm all for building something more sustainable....even if it takes a little longer to get there.  I do think Macc has already accomplished most of the "dirty work" that needed to be done in terms of the purge of legacy players.  Guys who were talented and iconic but aging and expensive (Revis, Mangold, Harris, etc.).  We went through a less than ideal "tanking" effort to position the Jets in the draft.  We've swallowed the bitter pills and written off guys like Wilkerson, Richardson, etc. and Macc cut his losses with Hack, Devin Smith, etc.  Not fun stuff....but necessary.

The Jets have the foundation now IMO.  Young guys, some good but not yet great talent, good chemistry and leadership.  That's what you have to start with....we'll add the "difference makers" once this team looks like it's a consistently .500 or better club.  For Fantasy Football guys it's very interesting to note that the Jets are almost guaranteed to be the very last team to have one of its players drafted.  That tells you something about the lack of difference makers and playmakers here.  But those guys will come eventually....when the foundation has proven solid.  It's like when the Jets added Braylon Edwards and felt that Ladainian Tomlinson was a 1 or 2 year piece to push the team over the top.  We'll get there but now is not yet the time.

I like what Macc has been doing.  He's far from perfect and has had some notable misses in the Draft, but the team is young and solid, he obtained the consensus best QB prospect in the Draft, and he's got a war chest of FA dollars.  The future is bright my brothers.

The problem I have with this, is the foundation you're referring too, really isnt that good.  We're all hoping Darnold is a step in the right direction but it's hope and it's year 4.  So he's the first real ray of hope for this regime but what else is the foundation?  A DT and a limited athlete at SS? Good dudes, good leaders but leadership and chemistry only take you so far when you're taking a knife to a gun fight.   As of right now, there isnt a single player on the Jets that Mac has selected or acquired that is guaranteed to see a 2nd contract with the Jets.  That's actually in fact, the opposite of a good foundation.  

The other part I dont get is the bold  What is going to change?  How will Mac all of a sudden start adding difference makers?  Why hasnt he so far?  And what about being .500 changes things?  This is my biggest fear with Mac.  Darnold seems like a gift from the gods (or Browns) and that never happens to the Jets but do you trust Big Mac to build talent around him?  Unfortunately, I really dont. 

16 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Since he took over as GM in 2015, Maccagnan has picked potential building blocks like defensive end Leonard Williams (in 2015), linebackers Jordan Jenkins and Darron Lee (in 2016) and safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye (in 2017). The young core did not go unnoticed despite a challenging season last fall, he said.

Yeah, the entire "young core," is on defense. 

Jets need production from Hansen, Herndon, Stewart, Leggett - at least two or three of these guys have to really step up. 

OL complaints are 100% valid, the hope is that the zone blocking scheme makes the sum greater than its parts. That's a lot to hope for. They're going to have to splurge there in free agency next year, and maybe use their first rounder there as well. 

Pass rush is another pipe dream, hoping guys like Dylan Donahue or Frankie Luvu defy expectations and gravity. 

Darnold is really the difference between being able to believe at all or not. 

23 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Other Things Mike Maccagnan Believes In

Magic beans

Colloidal silver

the fabled Third Hemsworth Brother

Chemtrails

He's like Bigfoot. But have you seen Pops?  Due is ripped in his 60's.  Such a hawt family.

Image result for hemsworth brothers and dad

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The issue is you cannot rebuild an  oline in one off season, it takes years because you have to rebuild via the draft, almost never does really good olienman make it to fa and the odd year when one does every team is after him.  He is using the same strat that they used when he ws with houston.  Draft the qb and then try and fix the oline and look what happened to david carr.

His treatment of the oline has been a totally dereliction of duty and it is like a house of cards, one injury and our qbs will be ducks on he pond.

Our Wr are okay but no huge threat other than telling your team don't let anderson go deep.  We can get by with the wrs and tes and maybe even the rbs but the treatment of the oline as a position is  a disgrace.

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No pass rushers.

+1 

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

So why didn't he draft a center instead of trading down 5 slots to pick up a late round pick (used on a nutcase driving the wrong way in the Lincoln Tunnel)? Never mind that it was done some 2 months after releasing Mangold, with only $2.7m RFA Wes Johnson in place. Ask the Vikings if they'd trade their 2nd year starting center, making all of $1m/year for the next 3 years, for Stewart, whose roster spot may only be saved temporarily by getting suspended for the first 2 games. The next 3 years of Elflein will cost the same amount as last year's Wes Johnson debacle.

So it's never the "right move" to pass up cheap, young, talented OLmen at a position of need, to pick up a low-percentage draft pick (that we only needed to recoup because his idiotic+bust UFA pickups in 2016 negated a few compensatory picks for 2017). People here scoffed at the low value of those picks, and then the very GM they praised kept trading down to get them back, losing a dirt-cheap, young, starting center and more in the process. 

Also if "it didn't make sense to add weapons this past offseason," then why did he outbid the $16m/year offers for both Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins (both of whom turned him down to take less money on a team not run by Maccagnan, just like Cousins and Norwell also did in March). His reputation around the league must be even lower than previously leaked earlier this offseason. Anyway it seems some defend anything he does or doesn't do; he was unsuccessful in signing an expensive WR and it's to his credit; had he been successful in signing Robinson/Watkins, that would have been to his credit, too. Basically anything he does or doesn't do, some will rationalize as shrewdness after the fact, even if it wasn't his intention lol.

Anyway these later selections (rd 3 isn't even late) are the ones that make a talent evaluator good, not drafting the highest-floor player available with #6 overall picks; picks themselves earned by crappy rosters having crappy seasons. It's as though a healthy percentage of fans are willing to simply erase his first 3 years of massive lost-investment opportunity.

Also at least one of the glorious "building blocks" mentioned in the OP, Leo, will ultimately prove to be a worse investment than a free agent by next year (a FA who won't cost a #6 overall pick); thus negating the value of the selection itself, because Leo's compensation is about to rise into the $15-20m/year range.

There are only 2 real values with such a high draft pick:

1. pick up a player that rarely becomes available via free agency, if at all, like a stud QB, a good young LT, and a good young edge rusher.

2. pick up a player whose clone maybe is available via free agency, but they're so expensive they take away from positions elsewhere. This value is only realized if the team is a serious contender during the first 4 years of his career, while playing under a relatively cheap rookie contract that saves some $10m/year over a comparable veteran's cost.

The crazy thing is from his first 3 full drafts the only player he took in the first 2 rounds who even met this obvious standard (at the time they were drafted) is historical bust Christian Hackenberg who, while always 100% healthy throughout his 2 years here, couldn't outperform the likes of Fitzpatrick during a meltdown, Geno Smith, Josh McCown, or Bryce Petty. And having this as his ace in the hole is the reason he passed up the offer to move up to #1 for a FQB in 2016. 

That's this boob's real record as a college talent evaluator. Having his back up against the wall as the singular motivation for moving up to #3 for a QB (or lose your job) is no great feat: there isn't a person in his position that would have stayed at #6 at the time, to let division rival Buffalo leapfrog us and place a 4th potential QB landing spot ahead of us. Never mind that it turns out he wasn't even the one who did the negotiating, and that we wouldn't have needed to move up in the first place if he didn't add just enough veterans during a season where his goal was to tank for a QB in the following year's draft. A Colts offer was put before him, and all he did was say "ok" when his one and only mandate for the entire draft was drafting a FQB. 

Lastly, here's the problem with crediting him with pickups like McLendon. As a GM he "saved" about $3m/year by downgrading from Snacks in his veteran prime (what he'd have cost when Macc arrived) to McLendon in his early 30s, and the strength of our DL went along with it. Then he blew more than this entire 3-year savings on another year of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Also such credit, even if you consider this a success, ignores a far greater amount of failure veteran contracts awarded to Mo, Fitz, Forte, Jarvis Jenkins, and more. I could fill another 10 pages with concrete examples of his gross incompetence.

Maccagnan is really good at absolutely nothing. It's baffling why anybody would choose to defend his atrocious record, and why he holds any appeal to any Jets fan.

Love the idea that the trade up which got us Darnold really isnt a good move because his back was up against the imaginary wall.  When thats your point its obviously slanted.  Its right up there with Williams, Adams and Darnold arent good picks because they were all luck.  Or FA signings are meaningless because if he drafted better we wouldn't have to sign a FA.  

Hes here 3 years, hes made some good picks, some bad.  He hasnt distinguished himself yet, may never.  Sometimes its about whos available when you pick. Hard to make blanket ratings based on a handful of drafts that have some good and bad. Ultimately it comes down to Darnold at this point.  So far this draft has lots of potential, no matter the hate

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Love the idea that the trade up which got us Darnold really isnt a good move because his back was up against the imaginary wall.  When thats your point its obviously slanted.  Its right up there with Williams, Adams and Darnold arent good picks because they were all luck.  Or FA signings are meaningless because if he drafted better we wouldn't have to sign a FA.  

Hes here 3 years, hes made some good picks, some bad.  He hasnt distinguished himself yet, may never.  Sometimes its about whos available when you pick. Hard to make blanket ratings based on a handful of drafts that have some good and bad. Ultimately it comes down to Darnold at this point.  So far this draft has lots of potential, no matter the hate

Love the idea you putting words in my mouth that I never said.

• I didn't say it wasn't a good move. I said he had no choice.
  • I didn't say Williams and Adams aren't good picks because they were all luck. I didn't even hint at anything like this. They aren't such great picks for other reasons which you are unable to comprehend so don't try.
  • I didn't say FA signings are meaningless because if he drafted better he wouldn't have to sign a FA (though that is obviously true). 

This "he's made some good picks, some bad" purposely (yet unsuccessfully) makes it sound like it's about 50/50 simply because you've outlined 2 possible outcomes. In reality his "bad" to "good" rate is about 9:1 if you actually tally it up with player names, which you don't because it's inconvenient to face facts.

It won't just come to Darnold, which is the point. The Saints showed quite clearly you can have a top 3 QB and still finish 7-9 almost every year. A FQB may be necessary, but it isn't enough. 

I don't understand the love affair with an incompetent boob who has such a track record of failure in such a short span of time. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The problem I have with this, is the foundation you're referring too, really isnt that good.  We're all hoping Darnold is a step in the right direction but it's hope and it's year 4.  So he's the first real ray of hope for this regime but what else is the foundation?  A DT and a limited athlete at SS? Good dudes, good leaders but leadership and chemistry only take you so far when you're taking a knife to a gun fight.   As of right now, there isnt a single player on the Jets that Mac has selected or acquired that is guaranteed to see a 2nd contract with the Jets.  That's actually in fact, the opposite of a good foundation.  

The other part I dont get is the bold  What is going to change?  How will Mac all of a sudden start adding difference makers?  Why hasnt he so far?  And what about being .500 changes things?  This is my biggest fear with Mac.  Darnold seems like a gift from the gods (or Browns) and that never happens to the Jets but do you trust Big Mac to build talent around him?  Unfortunately, I really dont. 

Fair points.  I think the overall level of the team is better despite it's lack of "stars."  My point regarding the team finding its way to consistently .500 or better is that that's when you can make some swings for the fences.  That might be when you make a bold free agency move or trade for something like an elite WR or RB.  There's no sense trying to make a move to "push over the top" if we're still on the climb up the mountain.  And I think the foundation includes everything from youth vs. age (the Jets are much younger than they've been), team chemistry (intangible but it's hard to row the boat north when you've got a couple of knuckleheads like Wilkerson, etc. rowing south or Revis not rowing at all), and leadership (this team was devoid of it in 2016, it wasn't coming from veterans like Revis and Leo Williams is talented but not a vocal guy).  I think Jamal Adams will lead this defense and Darnold will come to lead the offense.

I'm not saying this is definitely how things will be.  I'm just saying that these are the tea leaves I'm reading.  The foundation is different, it's younger, it has better competition.  Gone are the days of Decker, Marshall and a bunch of dudes.  We could now argue that the difference between the Jets #2 or #3 WR is not all that much from their #6 or #7 WR.  We don't have real stand outs or difference makers yet, but the depth and lack of reliance on just 2 or 3 players seems to be gone.  JMHO.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Love the idea you putting words in my mouth that I never said.

• I didn't say it wasn't a good move. I said he had no choice.
  • I didn't say Williams and Adams aren't good picks because they were all luck. I didn't even hint at anything like this. They aren't such great picks for other reasons which you are unable to comprehend so don't try.
  • I didn't say FA signings are meaningless because if he drafted better he wouldn't have to sign a FA (though that is obviously true). 

This "he's made some good picks, some bad" purposely (yet unsuccessfully) makes it sound like it's about 50/50 simply because you've outlined 2 possible outcomes. In reality his "bad" to "good" rate is about 9:1 if you actually tally it up with player names, which you don't because it's inconvenient to face facts.

It won't just come to Darnold, which is the point. The Saints showed quite clearly you can have a top 3 QB and still finish 7-9 almost every year. A FQB may be necessary, but it isn't enough. 

I don't understand the love affair with an incompetent boob who has such a track record of failure in such a short span of time. 

Love that you think I was talking just to your post.  LOL

He had a choice, he could have stood pat an wound up with a QB.  Then we would be killing him for not moving up and winding up with Darnold.  Its the beauty of being a MMQB.

Plenty have rated Macc only by the picks after he lucked into Williams, Adams and Darnold.  From his first draft we've heard this unique style of criticism.  Blame him for the picks that dont pan out, dont give him credit for the ones that do because anyone could have picked them.  Except anyone didnt.

And yes, many blow off Anderson for example. 

I dont understand how after only a couple of drafts, with obvious ups and downs but with a real good 2018 draft shaping anyone would insist on calling someone an incompetent boob, atrocious or whatever negative name we can come up because were too impatient 

17 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

One reason it closed quickly was that Rex and Mike Tannenbaum had no plan for the future. They dropped Sanchez favorite WR's and brought in bums like Plaxico Burress. Once that happened his development went down the drain and even the threat of Tim Tebow couldn't get it back.

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No pass rushers.

That's clearly the To-do list right there.  I agree, I wish he would have addressed OLine and our passrush search has been almost as bad as our Hunt for Red Quarterback.  But....he got the QB.  Passrusher is next and OLine, well.....we'll see.  Macc has shown a propensity to go after OTs in free agency (Clady, Beachum) rather than with high draft picks (Shell was a mid/late round guy).  But again, that's the priority list...

1. Pass rusher

2. Improve the OLine (find our next LT and get younger at C/G with a rookie)

3. Add the shiny toys, the elite WR, the game-changing RB (and last year shows that you can get excellent RB talent in middle rounds....Dalvin Cook, Kareem Hunt, Alvin Kamara)

There will always be work to do on the roster but I'm glad that we have at least checked the QB box this year.  That's the hardest one.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Love that you think I was talking just to your post.  LOL

He had a choice, he could have stood pat an wound up with a QB.  Then we would be killing him for not moving up and winding up with Darnold.  Its the beauty of being a MMQB.

Plenty have rated Macc only by the picks after he lucked into Williams, Adams and Darnold.  From his first draft we've heard this unique style of criticism.  Blame him for the picks that dont pan out, dont give him credit for the ones that do because anyone could have picked them.  Except anyone didnt.

And yes, many blow off Anderson for example. 

I dont understand how after only a couple of drafts, with obvious ups and downs but with a real good 2018 draft shaping anyone would insist on calling someone an incompetent boob, atrocious or whatever negative name we can come up because were too impatient 

You don't just get to say "Anderson" and it magically erases his multitude of failures at that and other positions. Name a team that hasn't picked up exactly 1 worthwhile UDFA in 3 seasons. Let's see if he's even worth re-signing after his rookie deal is up, or if he's constantly in trouble and a distraction or suspended where the team still has to make other plans.

It seems like only yesterday people were touting EACH of the following prospects as valuable finds and steals that were examples of his keen eye for talent:

• Jalin Marshall
  • Lorenzo Mauldin
  • Bryce Petty
  • Juston Burris
  • Deon Simon
  • Charone Peake
  • Hackenberg (a franchise QB in round 2!!)

As well as the greatness and awesomeness of the hundreds of millions in veteran contracts awarded to:

• Revis
  • Harris
  • Cromartie
  • Skrine
  • Fitz
  • Marshall
  • Gilchrist
  • Winters (at full UFA rate because of this dope)
  • Jarvis Jenkins
  • Forte
  • Ijalana
  • Clady
  • Mo
  • $10m McCown
  • Powell (as much as some like him, the Forte/Powell additions at $9m clearly influenced passing up the chance to draft Kareem Hunt last year).
  • Any others that aren't off the top of my head.

Plus facepalms like the Knile Davis/CJ Spiller stupidity that just make this whole organization look incompetent (which is saying something). Is it any wonder 4 FAs turned him down after he was the highest bidder just this past offseason alone? When have you heard of that with any organization in NFL history?

Not to mention all the non-moves/signings that he passed up on, which would have given him massive credit had he done so:

• failure to draft a center right after cutting Mangold (with only Wes Johnson on the roster)
  • passing up on the chance to draft multiple young FQBs prior to Darnold (this should be 4-5 bullet points not just 1)
  • letting Snacks go instead of extending him in 2015 when he held all the cards
  • not cutting or at least putting the squeeze on Giacomini in late Aug to free up a much needed $5m when he was already going to start the year on PUP and sucked when healthy
  • plus plenty more dumbassedness.

And all the other lesser/no-named acquisitions that didn’t pan out, like his other vetrean RBs Zac Stacy, Khiri Robinson, Ridley, and the hundred UDFAs brought in before ending up with 1 worth a damn suggests it was as much dumb luck as anything else.

Oh yeah, and we have 10 combined wins the last 2 years and 20 in his 3 years. People too easily gloss over multiple, entire wasted seasons as though they never happened. 

But hey, you counter this mountain of garbage with "Anderson" lol.

And with Indy's pick in play, he did not have a choice no matter how many times you make it up. Not after his boss commanded the quadrupling of QB scouts for this draft. He had to be the highest bidder, and sent Heimerdinger to negotiate (presumably because he stinks at it), but ultimately he was going to pay anything he had to after putting all his chips into this draft to find a QB (certainly a few 2nd rounders). There is no way entering year 4, and failing on opportunities to bring in a solid handful of young QBs, that he'd sit and hope one of his top 3 choices fell to #6. Not when the price tag was a trio of 2nd round picks his track record suggests he was going to screw up anyway. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You don't just get to say "Anderson" and it magically erases his multitude of failures at that and other positions. Name a team that hasn't picked up exactly 1 worthwhile UDFA in 3 seasons. Let's see if he's even worth re-signing after his rookie deal is up, or if he's constantly in trouble and a distraction or suspended where the team still has to make other plans.

It seems like only yesterday people were touting EACH of the following prospects as valuable finds and steals that were examples of his keen eye for talent:

• Jalin Marshall
  • Lorenzo Mauldin
  • Bryce Petty
  • Juston Burris
  • Deon Simon
  • Charone Peake
  • Hackenberg (a franchise QB in round 2!!)

As well as the greatness and awesomeness of the hundreds of millions in veteran contracts awarded to:

• Revis
  • Harris
  • Cromartie
  • Skrine
  • Fitz
  • Marshall
  • Gilchrist
  • Winters (at full UFA rate because of this dope)
  • Jarvis Jenkins
  • Forte
  • Ijalana
  • Clady
  • Mo
  • $10m McCown
  • Powell (as much as some like him, the Forte/Powell additions at $9m clearly influenced passing up the chance to draft Kareem Hunt last year).
  • Any others that aren't off the top of my head.

Plus facepalms like the Knile Davis/CJ Spiller stupidity that just make this whole organization look incompetent (which is saying something). Is it any wonder 4 FAs turned him down after he was the highest bidder just this past offseason alone? When have you heard of that with any organization in NFL history?

Not to mention all the non-moves/signings that he passed up on, which would have given him massive credit had he done so: failure to draft a center right after cutting Mangold (with only Wes Johnson on the roster), passing up on the chance to draft multiple young FQBs prior to Darnold, letting Snacks go instead of extending him in 2015 when he held all the cards, and more.

But hey, you counter with "Anderson" lol

And with Indy's pick in play, he did not have a choice no matter how many times you make it up. Not after his boss commanded the quadrupling of QB scouts for this draft. He had to be the highest bidder, and sent Heimerdinger to negotiate (presumably because he stinks at it), but ultimately he was going to pay anything he had to after putting all his chips into this draft to find a QB (certainly a few 2nd rounders). There is no way entering year 4, and failing on opportunities to bring in a solid handful of young QBs, that he'd sit and hope one of his top 3 choices fell to #6. Not when the price tag was a trio of 2nd round picks his track record suggests he was going to screw up anyway. 

Does anyone have any alka seltzer? 

Talk about ending a discussion with minutia 

All the signees that led to decent play, 10 wins and a playoff push if thats what was the plan are as silly an argument as there is.  No one was bitching about Revis that year.  Or Fitz, Harris etc.

And yeah, you get to say Anderson because he found him.  You dont get to eliminate him because you dont like or agree with a failed pick, he still found Anderson.  This isnt hard

As I said MMQB.  Hes had 3 years, hes a big, fat INC

Archived