New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 8.1

Maxman

On why Quincy Enunwa didn’t practice...

He got injured yesterday, so he's inside getting treatment.

On Enunwa’s injury...

It's training camp, I'm not going to get into that until I have too.

On if Enunwa’s injury is related to the neck

No.

On If Enunwa’s injury is anything significant...

Training camp injury, he will be fine and he'll get back when he gets back.

On why Brian Winters missed the end of practice...

I didn't see him and wasn't looking for him to miss, but I will find out when I go inside. 

On if Buster Skrine has a cast on his hand...

He's got a splint, hurt his finger.

On Jordan Leggett...

Training camp injury again, we got guys that will be in and out for the next couple of weeks. When he gets back he will be ready.

On if any of the injuries could linger into the regular season...

I won't speculate on injuries at this time, but we'll see.

On Marcus Maye and Terrelle Pryor returning to practice...

Limited action, but you know their healthy enough to go out there. It's a matter of how they feel tomorrow is what I'm more concern about, not really today. They moved around some and got in some action. Mentally, from their standpoint it feels good. 

On how did Sam Darnold look today...

Second day for him, learning, progressing. He’ll watch the film, learn and get better.

On does Darnold look like the situation is not too big for him...

No, it's not to big for him, but you still got to learn. I don't think it’s too big for him at all, he got a lot of learning and work to do. He's just putting his head down and working and we'll go from there. 

On how Darnold responded to mistakes...

He learns from his mistakes. He's a good study and he’s a hard worker and he mentally tough. He grasps the situation and he moves on to the next play pretty good. 

On how critical is that when you trying to evaluate... 

It's critical for anyone of our guys at any position. Whether it's a corner that gets beat, lineman gets beat for a sack or whether a linebacker fumbles to get back and run the next play to forget about it as well as the quarterback. So that's critical for everybody on our team.

On what he’s seen from Nathan Shepard so far...

Again he tough, we understand he tough and he is athletic and he can play, but he has to learn the scheme as well. He’s going through a learning process just like all of the rookies, to be expected. You give him about a week and a half, almost two weeks grace period to get everything down, so that their not swimming. When the installation slows down and these guys get to focus in, than you can really take a look at them and see what they've learned.

On besides learning the scheme, what is the next steps for Shepard...

Obviously, it's going to be all year learning blocking schemes, understanding what people are trying to do to him and then understanding where his help is coming from and continue to use his hands. 

On what kind of changes has he seen from Darron Lee this year...

Just more vocal, like I said the game slows down for him because he's in his third year, so it's slowed down for him and he’s more vocal, but he's just as athletic as he was when he came in.

On if he is expecting a big season from Lee...

Like I said, we're expecting a big season from everybody. It's not just him, he just has to do his job just like everybody else just has to do their job.

On who has impressed you the most in training camp...

Coach Jimmie Johnson, our tight ends coach, cause he wears a sweatshirt that weights about forty pounds in this heat every day. That’s what has impressed me the most. 

On what player has impressed him…

I don't think no one has a sweatshirt on, so right now no. It's early. I can't get into details because it's a lot of teaching going on, I can't say.

On if he was pleased there were fewer penalties today…

You can win with four during the season. We have to keep it five or below. We don't want to be up in the nine, 10 area. It’s a work in progress every day with a lot of guys, a lot of new guys going in. We understand where they're coming from and who their from. It's going to be a consist progression throughout camp.

On if Leonard Williams is moving better...

He was moving better in the spring and he's moving better now. I think he knows where to go now without thinking. Playing fast without thinking kind of helps a lot too.

On if Williams came into camp lighter this season...

No, he came in the same. He's just looks quicker. He puts a lot of work in this year so it's a credit to him. 

On how has ArDarius Stewart progressed since the end of last year...

Same thing, his mentally approach is different. Last year, he was swimming a little bit and coming into the offense. He has a better gasp this year and he's always been a hard worker. It will be interesting to see as the weeks go on.

On if he has given any thought to the quarterback rotation for the first preseason game...  

No, no thought yet. 

40 minutes ago, Maxman said:

On why Quincy Enunwa didn’t practice...

He got injured yesterday, so he's inside getting treatment.

On Enunwa’s injury...

It's training camp, I'm not going to get into that until I have too.

On if Enunwa’s injury is related to the neck

No.

On If Enunwa’s injury is anything significant...

Training camp injury, he will be fine and he'll get back when he gets back.

On why Brian Winters missed the end of practice...

I didn't see him and wasn't looking for him to miss, but I will find out when I go inside. 

On if Buster Skrine has a cast on his hand...

He's got a splint, hurt his finger.

On Jordan Leggett...

Training camp injury again, we got guys that will be in and out for the next couple of weeks. When he gets back he will be ready.

On if any of the injuries could linger into the regular season...

I won't speculate on injuries at this time, but we'll see.

On Marcus Maye and Terrelle Pryor returning to practice...

Limited action, but you know their healthy enough to go out there. It's a matter of how they feel tomorrow is what I'm more concern about, not really today. They moved around some and got in some action. Mentally, from their standpoint it feels good. 

On how did Sam Darnold look today...

Second day for him, learning, progressing. He’ll watch the film, learn and get better.

On does Darnold look like the situation is not too big for him...

No, it's not to big for him, but you still got to learn. I don't think it’s too big for him at all, he got a lot of learning and work to do. He's just putting his head down and working and we'll go from there. 

On how Darnold responded to mistakes...

He learns from his mistakes. He's a good study and he’s a hard worker and he mentally tough. He grasps the situation and he moves on to the next play pretty good. 

On how critical is that when you trying to evaluate... 

It's critical for anyone of our guys at any position. Whether it's a corner that gets beat, lineman gets beat for a sack or whether a linebacker fumbles to get back and run the next play to forget about it as well as the quarterback. So that's critical for everybody on our team.

On what he’s seen from Nathan Shepard so far...

Again he tough, we understand he tough and he is athletic and he can play, but he has to learn the scheme as well. He’s going through a learning process just like all of the rookies, to be expected. You give him about a week and a half, almost two weeks grace period to get everything down, so that their not swimming. When the installation slows down and these guys get to focus in, than you can really take a look at them and see what they've learned.

On besides learning the scheme, what is the next steps for Shepard...

Obviously, it's going to be all year learning blocking schemes, understanding what people are trying to do to him and then understanding where his help is coming from and continue to use his hands. 

On what kind of changes has he seen from Darron Lee this year...

Just more vocal, like I said the game slows down for him because he's in his third year, so it's slowed down for him and he’s more vocal, but he's just as athletic as he was when he came in.

On if he is expecting a big season from Lee...

Like I said, we're expecting a big season from everybody. It's not just him, he just has to do his job just like everybody else just has to do their job.

On who has impressed you the most in training camp...

Coach Jimmie Johnson, our tight ends coach, cause he wears a sweatshirt that weights about forty pounds in this heat every day. That’s what has impressed me the most. 

On what player has impressed him…

I don't think no one has a sweatshirt on, so right now no. It's early. I can't get into details because it's a lot of teaching going on, I can't say.

On if he was pleased there were fewer penalties today…

You can win with four during the season. We have to keep it five or below. We don't want to be up in the nine, 10 area. It’s a work in progress every day with a lot of guys, a lot of new guys going in. We understand where they're coming from and who their from. It's going to be a consist progression throughout camp.

On if Leonard Williams is moving better...

He was moving better in the spring and he's moving better now. I think he knows where to go now without thinking. Playing fast without thinking kind of helps a lot too.

On if Williams came into camp lighter this season...

No, he came in the same. He's just looks quicker. He puts a lot of work in this year so it's a credit to him. 

On how has ArDarius Stewart progressed since the end of last year...

Same thing, his mentally approach is different. Last year, he was swimming a little bit and coming into the offense. He has a better gasp this year and he's always been a hard worker. It will be interesting to see as the weeks go on.

On if he has given any thought to the quarterback rotation for the first preseason game...  

No, no thought yet. 

How is this bumbling fool an NFL HC?

37 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Bowles gets a lot of heat and criticism, and much of it is deserved, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt going into this season.  He doesn't need to win press conferences but he does need to win football games.  After back-to-back 5 win seasons that number has to go up and, more importantly, this team has to play smart, competitive football.  I will judge Bowles not necessarily on the win # but on things like competitiveness, decision-making (going for it on 4th down, defensive strategies, etc.), clock management and team discipline (penalties and chemistry), and adjustments.  Those are things that coaches can control.

Is the team better at the end of the year than the beginning?

Do the Jets play competitive, disciplined football or are they beating themselves?

Do they adjust and resolve 1st half problems in the 2nd half of a game?

Does coaching frequently, or even just periodically, turn out to be a positive difference in beating a team?  (i.e. Do the Jets pull off some upsets because of coaching and Todd Bowles employing a strategy that outcoaches the opponent?)

Those are the kinds of things I'll be watching to determine whether this guy has truly grown.  It's year 4, we'll really have a solid sample size to evaluate this guy.  JMHO.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Bowles gets a lot of heat and criticism, and much of it is deserved, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt going into this season.  He doesn't need to win press conferences but he does need to win football games.  After back-to-back 5 win seasons that number has to go up and, more importantly, this team has to play smart, competitive football.  I will judge Bowles not necessarily on the win # but on things like competitiveness, decision-making (going for it on 4th down, defensive strategies, etc.), clock management and team discipline (penalties and chemistry), and adjustments.  Those are things that coaches can control.

Is the team better at the end of the year than the beginning?

Do the Jets play competitive, disciplined football or are they beating themselves?

Do they adjust and resolve 1st half problems in the 2nd half of a game?

Does coaching frequently, or even just periodically, turn out to be a positive difference in beating a team?  (i.e. Do the Jets pull off some upsets because of coaching and Todd Bowles employing a strategy that outcoaches the opponent?)

Those are the kinds of things I'll be watching to determine whether this guy has truly grown.  It's year 4, we'll really have a solid sample size to evaluate this guy.  JMHO.

He has not grown in the first 3 years and hes not a good NFL HC. If you compare him to the top coaches in the NFl hes not even in the same zip code ... I expect to see the same dysfunction we have already witnessed the first 3 years making the same mistakes through out his tenure and that's disappointing. When he constantly has to take play calling abilities from his pal Kacy Rogers then lose focus on when to call a time out and when not too because his head is coordinating and not head coaching it makes you wonder who is evaluating this guy within the organization. If he makes the same dumb mistakes this year he needs to be replaced and that should not be hard to do next year with a top young QB and the best cap space in the NFL and guy like Harbaugh could become a reality. I'm fully expecting the same thing from Bowles not because I don't like the guy but because he's shown no improvement in game management over the first 3 years 

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

He has not grown in the first 3 years and hes not a good NFL HC. If you compare him to the top coaches in the NFl hes not even in the same zip code ... I expect to see the same dysfunction we have already witnessed the first 3 years making the same mistakes through out his tenure and that's disappointing. When he constantly has to take play calling abilities from his pal Kacy Rogers then lose focus on when to call a time out and when not too because his head is coordinating and not head coaching it makes you wonder who is evaluating this guy within the organization. If he makes the same dumb mistakes this year he needs to be replaced and that should not be hard to do next year with a top young QB and the best cap space in the NFL and guy like Harbaugh could become a reality. I'm fully expecting the same thing from Bowles not because I don't like the guy but because he's shown no improvement in game management over the first 3 years 

Very possible.  All I'm saying is that I personally am starting with a fresh perspective and will give the benefit of the doubt.  It's a new season, lots of new personnel, new OC.  If he doesn't pass the eyeball test this year and can't do the one thing he's most responsible for, managing the entire team and setting a tone for competence, game management and discipline then I'll be on the replacement train at the end of the season.

9 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I actually thought his answers were pretty funny.   What do you expect him to say?

I don't love him as a coach, but he didn't do anything bad there.   I liked the sweat shirt comments.

Archived