Jets Training Camp- 8/2

Patriot Killa

Starting this one a little early today. So a quick recap on yesterday’s practice, here’s what we know.(mostly, again, piggy backing off tweets and KRL report)

- Derrick Jones is a beast. He is definitely going to earn himself a shot in the preseason to further earn a shot in the regular season. Big, athletic, instinctual and so much room to grow for him. 5 interceptions in 4 practices. Something has clicked.

- Sam Darnold starts his drive, first play was a big run from Cannon(who has made a habit of big runs.) second play, Darnold’s arm gets hit and the ball wobbles out for an easy interception by Morris Claiborne. Sam then gets another chance to drive the ball down the field, he then comes back with a laser to Hansen for 20+ yards, hits some guy(no recollection of his name) we just picked up and then darts another to Chris Herndon. During one of these plays...think it was the Herndon catch, Nathan Shepard powers his way into the backfield, Sam dodges him, resets his feet and fires for a first down..- and that is a glimpse of the magic we are hearing about.

- Nickerson is also a beast and even more instinctual. He just had to finish on the play and real the interception in. He honestly could have like 7 interceptions on his hands. He covers really well and even followed Robby Anderson stride for stride one day.

- Foley, Anderson and Shepherd should really make this D-line energetic and enjoyable to watch. All of them are having good camps and they all show the ability to get in the back field regularly(and I didn’t even mentioned Leo who definitely can.)

- Spencer Long looks good

- Enunwa was hurt with a disclosed injury. It was labeled “just a training camp injury” ... whatever that is.

- Hansen is still showing up and that’s good to know with Enunwa injured again.

- Teddy and McCown were up and down. McCown more steady than not. At one point he got hot and was carving up the defense but cooled off after McClendon got them together with a fiery pep talk.

- LOTS of resilience in this team on both sides.

question time:

with the first preseason game in 8 days, what are your expectations of the offense and defense? Where will they show improvement in your best guess?

let us know in the comments.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Just spoke to Glenn, he will be there again today, so will KRL. Can't thank these guys enough for doing this, the information has been great.

Most definitely. We all look forward to KRL’s reports every day and I love how detailed both him and Glenn get. Glenn’s tweets tell you more of what’s going on than most of the mainstream beat writers.

definitely great effort and work by those guys.

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Most definitely. We all look forward to KRL’s reports every day and I love how detailed both him and Glenn get. Glenn’s tweets tell you more of what’s going on than most of the mainstream beat writers.

definitely great effort and work by those guys.

Agreed.

Glenn will be there next week as well.

Welp I will have to do some catching up on the jets in about 2 weeks time as I am heading off to the west coast of British Columbia and 'going off the grid' to do some hiking with my young fit nieces and nephews.  I have to hope I do not embarrass myself hiking wise.  The good news is the 2nd half of the trip we have rented a house on the west coast of Vancouver island and the house is like a block from their local brewery.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Welp I will have to do some catching up on the jets in about 2 weeks time as I am heading off to the west coast of British Columbia and 'going off the grid' to do some hiking with my young fit nieces and nephews.  I have to hope I do not embarrass myself hiking wise.  The good news is the 2nd half of the trip we have rented a house on the west coast of Vancouver island and the house is like a block from their local brewery.

So you will be drinking beer and presumably doing some fishing?  Sounds about right ;)

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Also off the grid in Italy for two weeks, going to miss the first game, but hope my wifi works so I can check out these Boards to keep up!  have not been excited about a Camp like this in 10 years.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Moutain Lions on vancouver Island....be careful hiking

2 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

Also off the grid in Italy for two weeks, going to miss the first game, but hope my wifi works so I can check out these Boards to keep up!  have not been excited about a Camp like this in 10 years.

This team is united, young, hungry and they have some ability now. Definitely a different feeling in the air, this year.

we have a weak schedule this year, I have high hopes for this team.

Hard to see how the offense or defense could be much worse tbqh. 

We were ranked 24th in Points Scored, 28th in Offensive Yards.

We were ranked 22nd in Points Allowed, 25th in Defensive Yards Allowed.

And we were ranked 23rd in Takeaways/Giveaways.

Overall and taken together, we were basically ~27, 28, 29 out of the 32 teams across the board.

Hard to see us failing so completely again in 2018, but who knows.  Bowles defense has taken a step back every single season since he got here, turning a consistently top 10 D into the 25th ranked D.  The offense has been a rotating "who gets blamed this year" cascade of problems and limited production, with only one not-really-that-bright spot in 2015, production wise at least.

I'd love to see us at least get to average.  15th or so in offense and defense.  Would be a huge start towards a better future here.

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This team is united, young, hungry and they have some ability now. Definitely a different feeling in the air, this year.

You know..I always worry about camp reports because it’s not the same as live action or it could be that the team is horrible as a whole and the only reason the offense and defense look good respectively. However, this is essentially the same unit as last year with way more firepower at pretty much all positions and 3 solid QBs so nothing should be a fluke.

Plus, all the young guys have matured and gotten necessary experience to take the next step. They should only be getting better. My only concern is the “new” offense but it seems very QB friendly and catered to Benedict Darnold (sorry I love that nickname) which is all we can ask for.

Last year we had positive camp reports and it wasn’t because the team was terrible on both sides of the ball and looking good as a result. Last year’s team was not a TERRIBLE team. They were in most games and overperformed. To hear positive things this year with a better team on both sides of the ball is VERY encouraging. I, as well as others should temper our excitement though because anything can happen. 

24 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

That's an interesting point and similar to the low bar the Jets had in MaccBowles' first season.  I'm looking for 8-8.

22 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

3 solid QBs

This is false. No matter how many times you repeat it- it is, and always will be, false.

McClown is a pineass, who is a serial loser, bumbler.

Teddy is comong off a catastrophic knee injury and was always a game manager type at best.

Our only brightness is Sam.

ffs. :soapbox:

Whens the next padded practice? 

I have pretty big expectations for this team overall. I think it should be noticeable how much potential they have, and if it's not, Bowles should be fired. There's talent there, theres depth, it's on the coaches now. Get these guys playing at a high level. 

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

????????   5 and phukking 11!!!!

I did not say they were good. But considering they were gutted and supposed to be the worst team and McCown had a career year, yeah I would call that over performing. It is by no means good enough and I am extremely critical of this team but I think most people agree that they out performed expectations last year. 

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

This is false. No matter how many times you repeat it- it is, and always will be, false.

McClown is a pineass, who is a serial loser, bumbler.

Teddy is comong off a catastrophic knee injury and was always a game manager type at best.

Our only brightness is Sam.

ffs. :soapbox:

After McCown’s year and leadership, Bridgewater’s past success and Darnold’s bright future, yeah I would say solid situation overall unless you think it’s the same as last year with Hackenturd and Petty. 

I think we have very good group of QB's.  We have the future, we have the veteran who is more than happy to mentor and we have a guy who needs to prove he is worth another shot as a starting QB.  The good thing is that they all know what their roles are and I can see the them all helping and rooting each other on.

To add to yesterday's recap and based on KRL reports and others

1) Obum Gwacham is showing potential as pass rusher and someone to keep an eye on as TC progresses and PS games start 

2) Jordan Leggett needs to get on the field..and start to show something. Cant make the club from the tub

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

btw, despite what I said above...

I'll prolly need to darn some adult diapers when watching the first pre-season game cos I am more enthused about the Jets than I have been since 1999.and-thats-the-truth-ruth-.jpg

I just got an email from DirectTv Now that they just added NFL network and the game will be live next Friday. Perfect timing! So pumped. 

14 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Whens the next padded practice? 

I have pretty big expectations for this team overall. I think it should be noticeable how much potential they have, and if it's not, Bowles should be fired. There's talent there, theres depth, it's on the coaches now. Get these guys playing at a high level. 

I would assume today. Tomorrow could be, not sure since Saturday night is the scrimmage.  They need all the padded practices they can get considering once the season starts they become limited. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Sounds like the westcoast trail and a house Tofino? what a big spender! ;)  You'll be within spitting distance of yours truly. I got the hell out 'Berta a few years ago and reside on the island now

To OP --

DERRICK JONES. six to noon in my pants.

27 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I just got an email from DirectTv Now that they just added NFL network and the game will be live next Friday. Perfect timing! So pumped. 

Wish they had an option for the RedZone channel.

Archived