Jets Training Camp- 8/2

Patriot Killa

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

- Nickerson is also a beast and even more instinctual. He just had to finish on the play and real the interception in. He honestly could have like 7 interceptions on his hands. He covers really well and even followed Robby Anderson stride for stride one day.

If he could catch he'd be a slot receiver as opposed slot corner. I'm excited to see Nickerson blanketing guys in the preseason.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

You know..I always worry about camp reports because it’s not the same as live action or it could be that the team is horrible as a whole and the only reason the offense and defense look good respectively. However, this is essentially the same unit as last year with way more firepower at pretty much all positions and 3 solid QBs so nothing should be a fluke.

Plus, all the young guys have matured and gotten necessary experience to take the next step. They should only be getting better. My only concern is the “new” offense but it seems very QB friendly and catered to Benedict Darnold (sorry I love that nickname) which is all we can ask for.

Last year we had positive camp reports and it wasn’t because the team was terrible on both sides of the ball and looking good as a result. Last year’s team was not a TERRIBLE team. They were in most games and overperformed. To hear positive things this year with a better team on both sides of the ball is VERY encouraging. I, as well as others should temper our excitement though because anything can happen. 

The "Creeper" in your avatar looks like Adam Sciff.... Ca. Congressman and Minority leader of the Russia probe.

Is that what you were going for?:-k

17 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Pressure is on for B. Winters, Spencer Long and Beachum. All under contract beyond this season, but each could be cut after ‘18 with team saving $6.5 mil in cap space per player. Ben Braden got reps with the 1’s yesterday and no word on Winters’ health.

i called braden a dark horse to make the team and play this year.  smart michigan OL.

Which Jets Have Stood Out in Training Camp?

E_MK2_0864-landis-promo

Olivia Landis

TEAM REPORTER

who-impressed-question-E_MK1_2726

Throughout training camp, NewYorkJets.com reporters Eric Allen, Randy Lange, Ethan Greenberg and Olivia Landis will each give their answers to a series of questions regarding this year’s camp.

Today’s question: Which Jets Have Stood Out in Training Camp?

EA: Jamal Adams is the most obvious answer. He is constant motion who knows only one speed — go. Adams loves every aspect of the game and you can hear him from Madison when the Jets are on the field. The second-year safety, who changed up his diet in the offseason, appears a little bit quicker this summer. And while he is in better shape, you have to attribute most of that to his eyes are quickly diagnosing what is in front of him. Remember that scene at MetLife in Week 9 last year against the Bills when Adams and the defense were dancing during a timeout? I anticipate many more of those occasions in 2018 because this guy is going to be a catalyst for this unit and this team. He has special energy and he wants to be great.

Defense Honorable Mention: ILB Darron Lee

While the backs have been impressive and there is an interesting battle taking place at tight end, Quincy Enunwa is consistently starting to flash. Limited to individual drills during the spring, Enunwa has resumed team activities in the summer and No. 81 has been explosive. In the offseason, Enunwa was as dedicated as anyone and captured an Iron Jet award for his work in the strength & conditioning program. After missing a year of action, Enunwa again looks like a guy who is going to be a matchup nightmare. How many corners in this league will be able to handle the strength of this 6’2”, 225-pounder? And I don’t think you are going to want to throw a safety or ‘backer on this guy because he’ll just run circles around most. Josh McCown sees some Anquan Boldin in Enunwa and remember this is a target who had 58 receptions, 857 receiving yards and four touchdowns in 2016. Like Adams, Enunwa is an energizer. He is a quieter guy, but the crowd feeds off his energy. I’m awfully encouraged by Q’s start to camp.

Offense Honorable Mention: RB Bilal Powell

Top Photos from Monday's Training Camp Practice

Best Snapshots from Practice No. 4 During Camp

E_1D2_5310

E_1D2_5223

1 / 46

RL: A number of veterans have looked decent but I'll go to the rookie class and say that I've been impressed with DL Nathan Shepherd. At 6'4" and 315, he's a big space eater on the D-line and he looks like he's got the athleticism to push the pocket and provide some pass rush as well. Fourth-year vet Leo Williams has noticed, too, of course, having told Shepherd, "Now that I see it, I need to see it all the time." I would hope to see Nate with his strength and physicality continue to show why he was a steal in Round 3 out of Fort Hays State.

EG: I think receivers Robby Anderson, Jermaine Kearse and Quincy Enunwa have all flashed at times. In terms of Anderson, you see the great speed and the ability to separate. Kearse can come down with the ball despite defenders in good position and Enunwa looks well on his way back to the ascending player we saw in 2016. It’s early, so it’s difficult to pinpoint a player or two, but I’ve been impressed with Jamal Adams. Adams has all the tools to be a force on defense and he’s a man who is clearly on a mission out there. He’s loud, he’s fast and he could take a big step this season. Honorable mentions: TE Neal Sterling and CB Parry Nickerson.

OL: I’m going with Chad Hansen. Coming into spring ball, the second-year receiver not only looked physically different (slightly bigger, faster, etc.), but you could actually see a change in his confidence level. I know spring ball is just shorts and a t-shirt with no pads, but Hansen impressed throughout OTAs and minicamp. Let’s not forget he spent time during the summer catching balls from Rams QB Jared Goff, which can only help his cause. I think Hansen is going to have an impressive season, and he’s a guy to keep an eye on during training camp.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Welp I will have to do some catching up on the jets in about 2 weeks time as I am heading off to the west coast of British Columbia and 'going off the grid' to do some hiking with my young fit nieces and nephews.  I have to hope I do not embarrass myself hiking wise.  The good news is the 2nd half of the trip we have rented a house on the west coast of Vancouver island and the house is like a block from their local brewery.

Ditto.  I'm leaving Sunday for Amsterdam and Belgium for two weeks and will be off the grid for the most part as I dive headfirst into an endless supply of booze and other mind altering "indulgences." 

Will try to check the boards here and there if my varying altered states of consciousness don't get the best of me.  Cheers!  :cheers: :pimp:

28 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

The "Creeper" in your avatar looks like Adam Sciff.... Ca. Congressman and Minority leader of the Russia probe.

Is that what you were going for?:-k

Who? Haha. No it’s from a show called Tim and Eric’s Awesome Show Great Job! 

Quite possible the dumbest thing ever but it’s not for most people. 

BEED129F-B209-47E3-B2D4-3D439CFE7F99.jpeg

5A982B34-751A-4492-B55A-9E5BD5D91984.jpeg

He has an “It Factor” that few possess and fewer can fully explain. He also is destined to make a lot of mistakes that might ultimately help turn him into a star one day.

Sam Darnold’s capacity to process information over the next several weeks will shape his development during this critical phase of the Jets evaluation process. Whether or not the team hands him the keys to the kingdom in time for the Monday night season opener against the Lions on Sept. 10 will have much more to do with the rookie quarterback’s ability to prove his football I.Q and resilience than to be perfect.

Darnold, frankly, was so good in only his second practice of camp after his four-day holdout.

He’s already operating on an advanced plane for a rookie, making smart pre-snap reads and post-snap decisions, while displaying fluid mobility in and around the pocket.

On Wednesday, he did everything from properly identifying a blitz to communicating the corresponding hot reads to his teammates to eluding pressure by stepping up in the pocket and completing a pass to hitting pass catchers in stride on designed rollouts to making quick post-snap decisions that prevented turnovers.

In layman’s terms, Darnold is one smart dude with a desire to learn more and more.

The Jets should be very excited.

Late in practice, he threw a deep pass intended for Hansen that fell harmlessly too short near the goal-line that included four critical elements. Within seconds, Darnold correctly identified a blitz, failed to recognize that the protection already had him covered, properly identified the right throw to make and smartly made a last-second adjustment that resulted in an incompletion.

Here’s how he explained the play:

“I signaled a fade because I saw man (coverage),” Darnold said. “This is a part of the growth that I’m talking about. I thought they were bringing pressure. It turns out we were protected. So, I could have gone through another read. But I just gave Chad a nice little fade. I was trying to throw back shoulder. Last second right as I was throwing it, I saw the DB’s eyes look at me. So, I knew if I threw back shoulder, it would have been a pick. So I tried to in literally the last millisecond… just try to throw it out in front of him. It came out weird. Threw it at his feet. But it’s better than a pick. Throwing an incompletion.”

So sexy.

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Ten players with torn ACLs this season: Panthers RB Fozzy Whitaker Eagles LB Paul Worrilow Chargers TE Hunter Henry Rams DE Morgan Fox Vikings DE Hercules Mata’afa Lions FB Nick Bawden Rams OL Rod Taylor Chargers TE Austin Roberts Packers LB Jake Ryan Titans S Johnathan Cyprien

Our guys better be careful 

My heart says Darnold starts and we make the playoffs...I am super excited about not only Darnold, but Cannon, Shephard, Derrick Jones, improvements from Lee and Adams, the possibilities of a greatly improved secondary and a subtly strong WR corps especially if Robbie takes the next step, Q can actually play (not convinced yet) and we get production from the TE position.

My brain recognizes that PFF actually views the Jets as the least talented team in the NFL. They have us as the worst offense, worst OL, one of the worst DL, like 29th at WR, etc.... Say what you want about PFF but from a macro standpoint they tend to have some insights.

So I worry that we are just drinking the annual preseason green kool-aid, we will suck, Bowles, McCagnan and Bates will be fired, and we start over in 2019 with new HC, GM, coaching staff and uniforms and a completely new offensive system for Darnold to learn which never quote works all that well.

But screw it, I am as excited as I have been for a Jets season in a very very long time and I am going with the Darnold starts and we make the playoffs concept. I am loving what I am hearing out of camp this year.

43 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Decker ranked 41st of 50 WRs with 80+ targets in yards per target last season. He was one of only four WRs with 80+ targets and only 1 touchdown. He was 81st in the league in receiving YPG.

The days of "OMG NEW ENGLAND SIGNED THIS GUY SO HES NOW GOING TO THE HALL OF FAME" days are so over. It's been like 4 or 5 seasons since I've cared that they signed our scraps.

51 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

He has an “It Factor” that few possess and fewer can fully explain. He also is destined to make a lot of mistakes that might ultimately help turn him into a star one day.

Sam Darnold’s capacity to process information over the next several weeks will shape his development during this critical phase of the Jets evaluation process. Whether or not the team hands him the keys to the kingdom in time for the Monday night season opener against the Lions on Sept. 10 will have much more to do with the rookie quarterback’s ability to prove his football I.Q and resilience than to be perfect.

Darnold, frankly, was so good in only his second practice of camp after his four-day holdout.

He’s already operating on an advanced plane for a rookie, making smart pre-snap reads and post-snap decisions, while displaying fluid mobility in and around the pocket.

On Wednesday, he did everything from properly identifying a blitz to communicating the corresponding hot reads to his teammates to eluding pressure by stepping up in the pocket and completing a pass to hitting pass catchers in stride on designed rollouts to making quick post-snap decisions that prevented turnovers.

In layman’s terms, Darnold is one smart dude with a desire to learn more and more.

The Jets should be very excited.

Late in practice, he threw a deep pass intended for Hansen that fell harmlessly too short near the goal-line that included four critical elements. Within seconds, Darnold correctly identified a blitz, failed to recognize that the protection already had him covered, properly identified the right throw to make and smartly made a last-second adjustment that resulted in an incompletion.

Here’s how he explained the play:

“I signaled a fade because I saw man (coverage),” Darnold said. “This is a part of the growth that I’m talking about. I thought they were bringing pressure. It turns out we were protected. So, I could have gone through another read. But I just gave Chad a nice little fade. I was trying to throw back shoulder. Last second right as I was throwing it, I saw the DB’s eyes look at me. So, I knew if I threw back shoulder, it would have been a pick. So I tried to in literally the last millisecond… just try to throw it out in front of him. It came out weird. Threw it at his feet. But it’s better than a pick. Throwing an incompletion.”

So sexy.

That's awesome.

1. 1 retweet1 like

Jordan Leggett, Kevin Pierre-Louis also out.

Connor HughesVerified account @Connor_J_Hughes
    No sign of Quincy Enunwa as #Jets sixth practice begins

I don’t see Quincy Enunwa out here as practice begins. He missed yesterday’s practice with an undisclosed injury

No sign of Quincy Enunwa as #Jets sixth practice begins

Thomas Rawls isn’t practicing either #Jets

Some early mental lapses on special teams drills. Boyer not happy.

Kevin Pierre-Louis, Kacy Rodgers, Jordan Leggett, Quincy Enunwa do not appear to be practicing today #JetsCamp #Jets

Charone Peake in red jersey to start practice.

1. WR Quincy Enunwa is here, but just walked off the field - appears he won’t practice for second straight day. Has what Todd Bowles called only “a training camp injury.” #Jets

Enunwa was out here watching and now is heading inside. It looks like he has a wrap on his right hand.

Enunwa has his right hand wrapped. #Jets

1 like

Found Enunwa. He’s not in pads, has bucket hat on = not working. He’s walking back inside #Jets

Roberts, Cannon, Whitehead, Crowell, back returning kicks, QBs working with WRs on far field #JetsCamp #Jets

Cannon, Roberts, Crowell and Whitehead back as return men.

Just now, flgreen said:
  1. WR Quincy Enunwa is here, but just walked off the field - appears he won’t practice for second straight day. Has what Todd Bowles called only “a training camp injury.” #Jets

Enunwa was out here watching and now is heading inside. It looks like he has a wrap on his right hand.

Enunwa has his right hand wrapped. #Jets

1 like

Found Enunwa. He’s not in pads, has bucket hat on = not working. He’s walking back inside #Jets

Roberts, Cannon, Whitehead, Crowell, back returning kicks, QBs working with WRs on far field #JetsCamp #Jets

Cannon, Roberts, Crowell and Whitehead back as return men.

Obviously you never want to see an injury, but I'll take a hand, wrist, finger, etc. over what my pessimistic mind was worrying about any day of the week.

Archived