Jets Training Camp- 8/2

Patriot Killa

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not surprised Darnold is looking good thus far, in fact it should be expected.  He’s a legit talent, one we haven’t seen around here very often.  He’ll have his moments but it’s going to be hard to sit him.  Especially when the other option is almost 40 years old.  

1 hour ago, edscuba said:

All 3 OB's seem to be doing great.

Is there any possibility that JETS let McCown go and keep Bridgewater and Darnold?  Would JETS get any of their 10m back from McCown? Just asking. Thanks

No.  His $10MM is fully guaranteed and he would have little to no value in trade.  Much more likely if Teddy shows he can stand up to contact over the next few weeks, that he would get moved for a pick wither late in camp or during the season.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

No.  His $10MM is fully guaranteed and he would have little to no value in trade.  Much more likely if Teddy shows he can stand up to contact over the next few weeks, that he would get moved for a pick wither late in camp or during the season.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Jets tried to "showcase" him the first two preseason games. Have him play majority of the first half. 

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I think people are kidding themselves if they think this kid isn’t starting from Day 1.

For either McCown or Teddy to start, they’d need to show that they’re basically head and shoulders above him at this time.

And that sure as sh*t hasn’t been the case so far.

Maybe that changes when the pre-season games start, but I seriously doubt it.

There’s a reason why Darnold was the consensus #1 QB in this draft for 16-18 months straight.

All I can say is thank God for the Browns and Giants.

The football gods finally smiled down on the Jets for a change instead of kicking them square in the balls.

I still sort of finding it hard to believe. Every draft preview started with "After Darnold is taken first". The owner sat with his family at the Pro Day. He is going to be special. Funny thing: I think the Jets interest in Mayfield was legit, but the fact that it got out there may have given us Darnold. Without that, Cleveland might have gotten cute and taken Barkley first figuring they could get Mayfield at 4.

15 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the Jets tried to "showcase" him the first two preseason games. Have him play majority of the first half. 

Yeah gotta figure McCown gets 2 or 3 series and then it's teddy and Sam the rest of the summer 

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

My heart says Darnold starts and we make the playoffs...I am super excited about not only Darnold, but Cannon, Shephard, Derrick Jones, improvements from Lee and Adams, the possibilities of a greatly improved secondary and a subtly strong WR corps especially if Robbie takes the next step, Q can actually play (not convinced yet) and we get production from the TE position.

My brain recognizes that PFF actually views the Jets as the least talented team in the NFL. They have us as the worst offense, worst OL, one of the worst DL, like 29th at WR, etc.... Say what you want about PFF but from a macro standpoint they tend to have some insights.

So I worry that we are just drinking the annual preseason green kool-aid, we will suck, Bowles, McCagnan and Bates will be fired, and we start over in 2019 with new HC, GM, coaching staff and uniforms and a completely new offensive system for Darnold to learn which never quote works all that well.

But screw it, I am as excited as I have been for a Jets season in a very very long time and I am going with the Darnold starts and we make the playoffs concept. I am loving what I am hearing out of camp this year.

First off great post.  I'm super excited about the injection of young talent that we have on this team.  I feel like certain players are ready to step up and all these mistakes and bad play that we've had to endure these last few seasons have been a product of these kids just being young and not being acclimated to the NFL speed yet.  

What worries me is not knowing too much about the other 31 NFL rosters out there.  When I look at this roster I see youth and talent top to bottom but there has to be other teams with youth and talent on it also.  Not saying this to be a downer but I seem to do this to myself every year where some players shine in practice and even in Preseason games then back to reality I go when they just don't pan out.  While I feel really good about Darnold I'm just going to patiently wait until the real games start to protect my sensitive heart.  

Darnold really has me giddy though.

I'd like to see Stewart get a crack at Punt Returns.  He returned kicks in college. He obviously can track the ball in the air and has good hands.

The thing that really intrigues me is his lateral quickness and physical running.  Punt returns are rarely about straight line speed.  They are about making a guy or two miss immediately then hopefully finding a seam.  I think he could be very good at it. 

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'd like to see Stewart get a crack at Punt Returns.  He returned kicks in college. He obviously can track the ball in the air and has good hands.

The thing that really intrigues me is his lateral quickness and physical running.  Punt returns are rarely about straight line speed.  They are about making a guy or two miss immediately then hopefully finding a seam.  I think he could be very good at it. 

Me too after his suspension. 

6 hours ago, JMJ said:

If you watch this video, Darnold and McCown take the snap at the same time.  Look how much faster McCown gets set, gets rid of the ball, and how much sooner the receiver on his side who is running the same route at the same depth makes the catch.

Not a knock on Darnold, I'm pumped to have him.  But this is why (most likely) McCown is going to start.  Every split second counts in the NFL and it takes time to make these adjustments and play at the game speed the NFL requires.

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The timing difference is based on the fact it's two different playaction drops.  Darnold's drop requires a reverse pivot at the top due to the side the play fake is on.  McCowns doesn't.

Exactly this, and don’t forget throwing to your left as a RH QB is much more difficult then to the right, some QB’s never are any good at throwing to their left never mind placing one perfect along the sideline like that.

7 hours ago, Larz said:

Wtf? That's the worst thing that they can do 

I'll never agree with this move.  Are the other guys looking that bad??  It's shocking to me that Cannon isn't light years ahead of everyone else when it comes to the return job.  It would be so perfect for him to be our 3rd down back and returner.

7 hours ago, Mike135 said:

This sounds good on multiple levels.  Obviously the kid playing well, but if I'm reading that correctly, seems like McCown is handling this situation like a champ.

Sounds like he's joking around, pretending he's pissed Sam is looking good enough to take the #1 gig.  If that's the case, his 10mil paycheck this season is well worth it, even if he doesn't play. 

It's like McCown is prepared to start if needed, but he's also doing what he can to help Sam, while actually somewhat rooting for the kid to take his job.

I think McCown is fully expected to be the mentor as Darnold starts and is completely okay with it.  In a sport like this it really takes a special kind of person let alone player to hand the keys over to the youngster and literally do everything in your power to make sure he has everything he needs knowledge wise.  I'm completely fine with him getting 10 mill.  I love that he's in the QB room.  

6 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Happy to hear about Sam progressing well. I do think there is some Darnold bias here. From what I read, McNown is having the best camp, albeit early

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He is doing ok so far and hopefully it continues but we havent seen him play a game yet...and for those of us who arent there we are relying on reports from the same press who last year said we are going 0-16. 

I'll temper my enthusiasm until I see him in a few games, right now McClown is playing better and a good example all around for the kid. Sam's time will come and it looks like there is no need to rush it. WE should be fine either way unless we get hit with a slew of injuries. 

1 minute ago, JetFanatic said:

I think McCown is fully expected to be the mentor as Darnold starts and is completely okay with it.  In a sport like this it really takes a special kind of person let alone player to hand the keys over to the youngster and literally do everything in your power to make sure he has everything he needs knowledge wise.  I'm completely fine with him getting 10 mill.  I love that he's in the QB room.  

Woops. Quoted the wrong post. Nothing to see here

13 hours ago, Losmeister said:

This is false. No matter how many times you repeat it- it is, and always will be, false.

McClown is a pineass, who is a serial loser, bumbler.

Teddy is comong off a catastrophic knee injury and was always a game manager type at best.

Our only brightness is Sam.

ffs. :soapbox:

Thank you Mr. Downer. You gotta be a riot at parties.  :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

I'll never agree with this move.  Are the other guys looking that bad??  It's shocking to me that Cannon isn't light years ahead of everyone else when it comes to the return job.  It would be so perfect for him to be our 3rd down back and returner.

Personally, I'm pulling for Lucky to win the return man job.

20 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

I wouldn't mind Lucky Whitehead winning either.  Wasn't he doing pretty well last season in practice until he got hurt?

Yeah, I seem to recall he was, but I think he got hurt pretty early on. I was expecting him to be cut, but was surprised when they kept him, and that he's still around now. You could say its because we're so desperate to find our return man, but perhaps they see something in him they like.

I don't imagine he'd see much--or any--time on the field as a receiver, but I think I read that they were using him in special sweep plays in practice, and I think he did some of that in Dallas. Could be our return man/trick play player. Dude is pretty fast.

And, I feel shameless to mention this, but I went to school with the kid, so that's kinda cool.

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Welp I will have to do some catching up on the jets in about 2 weeks time as I am heading off to the west coast of British Columbia and 'going off the grid' to do some hiking with my young fit nieces and nephews.  I have to hope I do not embarrass myself hiking wise.  The good news is the 2nd half of the trip we have rented a house on the west coast of Vancouver island and the house is like a block from their local brewery.

Dammit!  I just missed you.  We are leaving tomorrow back to Ontario

6 hours ago, Losmeister said:

i love the jets. i am just not interested in deceiving myself about what the J ets are.

I'm , perhaps misguided, very optimistic about the coming year. I guess most fans are this time of year regardless of which team.

via The Athletic (Again, I recommend subscribing or at least try their 7 day trial)

Scouting Sam, a stronger O-line and more: Key observations from the latest practices at Jets camp

By Connor Hughes 

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — They were two plays separated by 24 hours. Isolated, each tells a different story. Combined, they illustrate the growth of Jets rookie quarterback Sam Darnold.

Wednesday afternoon, the 21-year-old lined the offense up at the opposing 16-yard line. He scanned the defense, recognized man-to-man coverage, then sent Chad Hansen a signal to run a fade. He assumed the defense would blitz, so on the snap, he immediately turned his head to Hansen.

One issue: The pressure never came. Cornerback Xavier Coleman read Darnold’s eyes and jumped in front of Hansen. Darnold’s back-shoulder pass fell incomplete.

Thursday afternoon, Darnold again took to the line. He again read the defense, identifying man coverage. He again signaled to his receiver, Jermaine Kearse, who lined up in the slot to the right.

Then he did something different.

Instead of immediately turning his eyes to Kearse, he glanced to the left. This moved the safety over. He then climbed the pocket, pivoted to his right, and delivered a back-shoulder strike for a 20-yard gain.

“He’s picking up everything,” Bowles said following Thursday’s workout. “He’s just got to keep working. As he sees things every day — as well as the rest of the quarterbacks — they’ll get better.”

It’s been a gradual, daily improvement for Darnold ever since he ended his brief three-day holdout earlier this week. Monday he looked rusty. Wednesday he flashed. Thursday he put together his best outing yet.

Aside from the strike to Kearse, Darnold scored twice in the Jets’ first red zone drill. The first came on a quarterback draw, and the second on a play-action bootleg to Neal Sterling (called back because of an illegal formation). When coaches again set the Jets up in the red zone (this time full-contact), Darnold really went to work.

He threw a perfect touch pass to Dimitri Flowers off a play-action roll-out, dropping it right in the fullback’s hands and over a defender as he crossed the goal line. The next play, he fired a laser to tight end Clive Walford, who broke free in the back of the end zone.

It’s early, but Darnold’s trending in the right direction.

“You want to limit your mistakes,” Darnold said Wednesday. “But at the same time, if you do make a mistake, you don’t want to keep your head down. You want to hold your head up high and just go out for the next play with all you got.

“That is kind of our mentality here, but that has also been my mentality throughout playing football. That is kind of how I was taught at a young age to play football. If I make a mistake early on, just bounce right back and get after it the next play.”

Here’s the practice report from the second set of Jets workouts:

The walking wounded
First, the good news: Receiver Terrelle Pryor (ankle) and safety Marcus Maye (ankle) returned to team drills. The two are still limited but headed in the right direction. Maye wore a red non-contact jersey Wednesday, but shed it Thursday. Receiver Charone Peake (ankle) also returned to practice, although he too had a red jersey on.

Now the bad: Receiver Quincy Enunwa (hand) missed practice each day, his right hand wrapped in an apparent cast. Bowles wouldn’t provide much of a timetable for his recovery. Cornerback Parry Nickerson tweaked his hamstring midway through practice Thursday. Tight end Jordan Leggett missed each practice with an unknown ailment, as did linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis, defensive linemen Shaneil Jenkins and Deon Simon. Bowles is taking a hush-hush approach with diagnosing issues with his players, calling them “training camp injuries.”

Cornerback Buster Skrine has a finger issue. He’s practicing, but with a splint on his right hand. Running back Thomas Rawls missed practice Thursday. Safety Kacy Rodgers II is still out. The Jets sat Steve McLendon on Thursday for a rest day, a luxury Bowles grants to some veterans. Running back Eli McGuire is out for a while with the foot injury.

TAKEAWAYS
It’s officially a competition
Bowles took the first step towards shaking up his quarterback depth chart this week, slightly adjusting the rotation. Josh McCown is still the starter, followed by Teddy Bridgewater and Darnold, but now Bridgewater is taking a few reps each drill with the first team.

He has earned the repetitions, too. Bridgewater bounced back from a rough start to training camp to string together a few impressive workouts. He’s still not as consistent as McCown, but he’s flashing, his balls have more zip, and he looks more comfortable in the pocket. Bridgewater threw a beautiful ball on Thursday to Robby Anderson. Anderson ran a corner route, and Bridgewater dropped it right in his hands 25 yards down the field.

“You get more comfortable as you gain that experience over the years, but at the same time you remain a student of the game,” Bridgewater said of his maturation throughout his career. “As long as you remain a student of the game, you continue to get better.

“When you think you know it all, that’s when guys start to struggle. For me, I just have to remain humble, continue to trust the great coaches we have here, and just continue to get better as I take reps every day.”

McCown has still had the better camp, but Bridgewater — and to a lesser extent, Darnold — are closing the gap. I don’t think Bridgewater has any chance of starting for the Jets Week 1, though. Considering Darnold’s daily progression, the Jets will likely look to trade Bridgewater to a quarterback-needy team before the end of the preseason.

Speaking of Darnold, as highlighted above, he continues to improve. I’ve been impressed with his improvisation (he’s tremendous on the run), but even more with his resiliency. I’ve covered a lot of bad quarterbacks since I joined the Jets beat in 2014. They all shared one quality: When things went wrong, it wasn’t easy for them to turn it around. This is where I see the biggest difference in Darnold.

A two-play transition describes this better than my analysis can. The Jets ran through a drive-the-ball drill on Wednesday. Darnold threw just a terrible pass which sort of slipped out of his hands, got batted at the line, and ended up in the waiting arms of cornerback Morris Claiborne — an ugly way to end a drive. So many young quarterbacks retreat to their shell after that, especially rookies. Their next play is a handoff or screen, maybe a slant or swing pass. Something easy.

Not Darnold.

He went back on the field the very next play. He took a shotgun snap, climbed the pocket, then fired a rocket over the middle to Chad Hansen on a skinny post for a gain of 20.

I’m not going tell you Darnold is a franchise quarterback yet. I’m not going to tell you he’s the savior. I’m not going to tell you the Jets forever-long search for a signal caller is over. He hasn’t played a game yet, and honestly, I’ve never seen a franchise quarterback practice.

What I will tell you is he’s different than anyone I’ve covered before. And that’s a good thing.

Those big guys up front
The offensive line might top the worry list for many of the Jets’ loyal followers. For a good reason. The unit stunk last year, and the lone addition made in the offseason was center Spencer Long. Can one guy make that big of a difference?

It’s early, but it appears so.

There were practices last year where the Jets front allowed nine, 10, 11 sacks a day. Part of that had to do with shotty quarterback play from Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty — you could scream ‘I’m going to blitz!’ and they still wouldn’t know — but not all of it. This year, that hasn’t been the case. There are still hiccups — as is expected in camp — but it’s far more good than bad, and getting better as the practices pile up. Especially in the run game.

Running backs Isaiah Crowell, Trenton Cannon, Thomas Rawls, and George Atkinson all broke long runs through gaping holes this week. McCown, Bridgewater, and Darnold are getting more and more time (when working with the starters) to step up in the pocket and find open guys. The Jets don’t have an elite rusher on the team, but it’s still promising.

So how can one guy make that big of a difference?

The center is responsible for so much more than just blocking a dude in front of him. He, as much as the quarterback, is tasked with identifying blitzes and adjusting protections at the line. It’s a cerebral position. One mental mishap, and the entire line struggles.

“I think it does (make a difference) because the center runs the show,” Bowles said earlier this year. “The center’s the one that lines everybody up and makes all the calls. (Long) is a little bigger and heavier than what we had in the past (with Wesley Johnson). Hopefully, that solidifies a lot of things and makes everybody else better.”

So what about that depth chart?
The Jets rotate guys in and out, especially early in camp. Bowles usually makes lineup adjustments after the first preseason game. With that said, here’s how things look on offense and defense through two weeks of practices:

Note: The Jets media policy prevents the reporting of specific positions. You can fill in the blanks. A slash between two players means they regularly rotate depending on the package. 

Starting offense: Josh McCown, Bilal Powell, Lawrence Thomas, Robby Anderson, Jermaine Kearse, Quincy Enunwa, Eric Tomlinson/Neal Sterling, Kelvin Beachum, Brian Winters, Spencer Long, James Carpenter, Brandon Shell.

Backup offense: Teddy Bridgewater, Isaiah Crowell, Dimitri Flowers, Chad Hansen, ArDarius Stewart, Tre McBride, Chris Herndon, Ben Ijalana, Dakota Dozier, Travis Swanson, Ben Braden, Brent Qvale

Starting defense (base): Josh Martin, Leonard Williams, Steve McLendon/Mike Pennel, Nathan Shepherd/Henry Anderson, Jordan Jenkins, Avery Williamson, Darron Lee, Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Trumaine Johnson, Morris Claiborne

Starting defense (nickel): Josh Martin, Leonard Williams, Nathan Shepherd/Henry Anderson, Jordan Jenkins, Avery Williamson, Darron Lee, Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Trumaine Johnson, Buster Skrine, Morris Claiborne

Backup defense: Brandon Copeland, Henry Anderson, Steve McLendon, Foley Fatukasi, Kevin Minter, Neville Hewitt, Franki Luvu/Lorenzo Mauldin/Dylan Donahue, Doug Middleton, J.J. Wilcox, Darryl Roberts, Juston Burris

Backup defense (nickel): Brandon Copeland, Henry Anderson, Steve McLendon, Kevin Minter, Neville Hewitt, Franki Luvu/Lorenzo Mauldin/Dylan Donahue, Doug Middleton, J.J. Wilcox, Darryl Roberts, Parry Nickerson, Juston Burris

Pryor, who’s working his way back from an ankle injury, is working third in the receivers rotation. Ex-Patriot Tony Garcia is the third-team left tackle. He’s had moments in camp, but needs to show a lot in the preseason to unseat coach-favorite Ben Ijalana as the backup left tackle.

There they are
ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen, the Jets’ third- and fourth-round picks in last year’s draft, were alarmingly quiet the first set of training camp practices. They were much more active in Week 2. Hansen, specifically, really came alive with a handful of deep grabs. It’s a comfort and confidence thing with him. Both in himself, and with his coaches and quarterbacks. When they give him a chance, he makes some plays.

Stewart was a pleasant surprise as well. The Jets are using him a ton on underneath routes, which I believe is his strong suit. He’s not a go-deep guy but is very very dangerous after the catch. Stewart and Darnold are developing a decent amount of chemistry, too. Because of where both fall on the depth chart, they work regularly in quarterback-receiver drills. This is paying off during the team period. The two have taken over as the second-team receivers, replacing Charles Johnson and Andre Roberts.

Big Year for Big Cat
It’s an ugly number. Leonard Williams had just two sacks all of last season. He has 12 sacks in 48 career games, including four in his last 27. Williams is supposed to be a game-wrecking defensive lineman. If he wants that reputation, he’s going to have to get to the quarterback.

Williams looks quite a bit different this year than last. He seems in better shape, which is contributing in regular trips to the backfield. The Jets ran a series of full-contact drills on Thursday. Williams darted inside for a tackle for a loss on second down, then had a sack of McCown on third.

When the Jets moved to the goal line, Williams tackled Bilal Powell for no gain, then chased down McCown on a play-action bootleg, forcing a throw-away.

Williams, despite not losing any weight, looks faster this year. Bowles agrees.

“He was moving better in the spring and he’s moving better now,” Bowles said Wednesday. “I think he knows where to go now without thinking. Playing fast without thinking kind of helps a lot, too.”

The Jets secondary — with Johnson, Claiborne, Adams, and Maye — should be dominant this year. But the team doesn’t have much up front. It’s Williams … then question marks. The Jets need him to be a force in 2018. If he’s not, they could be in trouble.

QUICK HITS AND TIDBITS

Several have asked about special teams. Cairo Santos is the clear leader at kicker. Taylor Bertolet has leg strength but is too inconsistent to be counted on in the regular season. The Jets are rotating Trenton Cannon, Lucky Whitehead, and Andre Roberts at both kick and punt returner. Cannon is significantly better on punts now than in the spring. You can tell he’s starting to get comfortable. Remember: He never returned punts in college.

I kept a close eye on Terrelle Pryor this week. He’s such an interesting player to me because he gives the Jets something they don’t have: Size (6-4, 228). You can tell he’s not fully back from offseason ankle surgery. He can cut, but not effortlessly. He admitted Thursday he’s still thinking about it. It might take another couple of weeks before he gets to 100 percent. The dude can fly when he gets going, though. The Jets sent him deep on Wednesday. By the time he got 20 yards down the field, he had 1-2 yards on both cornerback Parry Nickerson and safety Terrence Brooks. Pryor can be a weapon if used correctly. It’s on Jeremy Bates to figure out how to do that. Pryor made some headlines Thursday, too, regarding his former teammates in Washington. When asked if he’s worried about things getting chippy during the Jets-Redskins joint practices in Richmond, Va. Aug. 12-14, he said: “If they take dirty shots, we’ll handle that accordingly.” That week should be fun …

Running back Thomas Rawls is quickly falling out of the running back rotation. His promising start to camp is a far distant memory. He’s since fumbled twice, dropped a couple of wide-open passes, and now he’s hurt. The Jets previously worked out Orleans Darkwa (Giants) and Alfred Morris (Redskins, Cowboys). It wouldn’t surprise me if the Jets move on if this Rawls injury is serious. They need someone competent behind Powell and Crowell. I’m not sure Cannon is ready for that workload yet, but he’s improving daily.

Speaking of Crowell, he quietly has had an impressive training camp. He and Powell have the potential to form a nice 1-2 punch. Something I didn’t know about Crowell: He can catch. Seriously. He’s catching everything thrown his way. He might be a sleeper fantasy option — OK, maybe don’t listen to me on that. I finished dead-last in my league last year.

Jeremy Bates is getting creative with the deployment of his tight ends. Not only does he use all three (Tomlinson, Herndon, Sterling), but he moves them all over the field. I’ve seen one split wide, another in-line. Two split wide. Two in-line. Keep an eye on that when the Jets start playing preseason games.

HIGHLIGHTS
Some plays previously mentioned in the report.

From Wednesday

Not a catch, but tremendous speed from Terrelle Pryor. The Jets sent him deep on a go-route. Parry Nickerson gave him a clean release, which was a mistake. Pryor blew past him and safety Terrence Brooks. He had a good 1-2 yards of separation 20-ish yards down the field. Sam Darnold threw short instead.

Cornerback Rashard Robinson nearly intercepted Sam Darnold. He covered Isiah Crowell perfectly on a wheel route, then turned around just in time. The ball bounced off his hands. He’s had trouble holding onto to potential picks in practice.

Safety Terrence Brooks picked off a Josh McCown pass in 7-on-7 drills. Linebacker Avery Williamson tipped the pass.

Cornerback Parry Nickerson had textbook coverage on a long Josh McCown pass for ArDarius Stewart. Turned around and knocked it away.

Sam Darnold quick pass tipped at the line, intercepted by Morris Claiborne.

Sam Darnold fired one to Chad Hansen on a skinny post for a gain of 20 on the very next play.

Todd Bowles dialed up a blitz against Sam Darnold in team drills. Rookie side-stepped, climbed pocket, then found running back Geno Atkinson over the middle for a gain of six.

Teddy Bridgewater long pass complete to receiver Chad Hansen on a post route for a gain of 25-30.

From Thursday

Running back Trenton Cannon and George Atkinson had long runs on back-to-back plays behind the second-team offensive line. Each ran off the right side and through a gaping hole.

Sam Darnold took a shotgun snap, stepped up in pocket, then delivered a strike to receiver Jermaine Kearse. Kearse made beautiful back-shoulder grab before tumbling to the ground.

Sam Darnold play-action fake during goal-line drills. Got linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin to commit inside. Darnold then darted around the outside before finding Neal Sterling for a would-be touchdown.

Sam Darnold touchdown on a quarterback-draw from five yards out. Perfectly blocked.

Perfect pass from Teddy Bridgewater to receiver Robby Anderson on corner route 25 yards down the field. Beat Morris Claiborne.

Linebacker Jordan Jenkins with a big hit on the first play of the Jets’ full-contact drill. Met and dropped Bilal Powell in the backfield.

Josh McCown found a wide-open Isaiah Crowell for a touchdown in a goal-line drill. Crowell snuck into flat, and McCown threw it to him after a perfect play-action fake.

NEXT UP:
The Jets will hold their Green and White practice/scrimmage at Rutgers University on Saturday. The team will hold a fan festival at 4 p.m., with gates to the stadium opening at 5:45 p.m. The practice itself starts at 7:15 p.m. All are open to the public.

The Green and White event is a bit different under Bowles than ex-Jets coach Rex Ryan. It’s not a scrimmage, per se, but a normal practice with a few extra sets of team drills built in.

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Wednesday afternoon, the 21-year-old lined the offense up at the opposing 16-yard line. He scanned the defense, recognized man-to-man coverage, then sent Chad Hansen a signal to run a fade. He assumed the defense would blitz, so on the snap, he immediately turned his head to Hansen.

One issue: The pressure never came. Cornerback Xavier Coleman read Darnold’s eyes and jumped in front of Hansen. Darnold’s back-shoulder pass fell incomplete.

Thursday afternoon, Darnold again took to the line. He again read the defense, identifying man coverage. He again signaled to his receiver, Jermaine Kearse, who lined up in the slot to the right.

Then he did something different.

Instead of immediately turning his eyes to Kearse, he glanced to the left. This moved the safety over. He then climbed the pocket, pivoted to his right, and delivered a back-shoulder strike for a 20-yard gain.

I can read stuff like this all day. Make a mistake, then learn from it and use it to your advantage. Lets go Sammy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 9:40 AM, Paradis said:

Sounds like the westcoast trail and a house Tofino? what a big spender! ;)  You'll be within spitting distance of yours truly. I got the hell out 'Berta a few years ago and reside on the island now

To OP --

DERRICK JONES. six to noon in my pants.

Tofino is correct but the hike was on the mainland.  Sunshine coast trail near powell river.  Some sections of it damn near killed me.  (We only hiked a section of it.)

Tofino is correct but the hike was on the mainland.  Sunshine coast trail near powell river.  Some sections of it damn near killed me.  (We only hiked a section of it.)

Nice. Beautiful country. Hot as hell right now tho. Hopefully you lathered up on spf1000... except in Tofino. Fog central.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived