Patriot Killa

We doing a JetNation fantasy football league?

Which site would you prefer to do Fantasy Football on?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Select the one you prefer

• NFL.com
    • Yahoo.com
    • ESPN.com

16 minutes ago, j4jets said:

My preferences:

1. Partial points should be allowed

2. Extended trade deadlines to encourage movement

3. Smaller bench size, maybe 4 bench players to discourage “hogging”

4. Waiver rules applied, else we’ll be stuck to the fantasy app the entire Sunday instead of actually enjoying it

5. Trades should be monitored and approved by the commish to catch “illegal one sided trades” 

6. I like return yardage at 25 yards a point, same as passing. Also have bonus points for passing rushing and receiving. 

sounds good except the smaller the bench, the less motivation there is for trading, IMO.  If you can pick up a very good player on waivers, why trade.  If you like trades, make the rosters a bit deeper.  recommend half point ppr instead of full, just my preference.

• Upvote 1

if you go two leagues 12 ?  I'd take a spot.

15 minutes ago, j4jets said:

To each their own I suppose. 10 catches for 45 yards is better than one catch for 45 yards imo. 10 catches mean you’re moving the chains. Plus, as a receiver, catching the ball is your primary responsibility. Having said that, I don’t advocate for a full point on a catch. Maybe 0.5. In your example, JE would get 11 points. Crow would have 13 points plus any RB receiving points (another 2-3 points atleast). Fair to me but like I mentioned, we can have two leagues with slightly tweaked rules. 

I agree with 6 points a passing TD. But this also tends to put too much emphasis on a QB while kickers become irrelevant in the standard point system. 

I was a staunch supporter of 'standard' (non PPR) for many years.  Switched to 1/2 pt PPR a couple of years ago primarily because most major ranking sites use it.  No looking back now.   PPR is the "new" "standard" and had to channge to keep up with the times.  

also, since there are two separate leagues, maybe you can have 2 different draft dates so that if one doesn't woirk out for a person, he/she can be in the other league instead.

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Let me know if you guys can roll with this.

Passing:

Passing TD’s : 5 points

Interceptions: -1 points

Passing yards: 25 yards = 1 point

Pick Six: -2 points

40+ yard completions: 3 points

40 + yard touchdowns: 6 points

Rushing:

Rushing TD’s: 6 points

Rushing Yards: 10 yards = 1 point

40 + yard run: 4 points 

40 + yard rushing TD: 7 points

Rushing 1st down: 0.5 points 

Receiving:

Receiving TD: 6 points

Receptions: 0.5 points

Receiving yards: 10 yards = 1 point

40+ yard receptions: 4 points

40 + yard touchdowns: 8 points

Kickoff Returns:

25 yards = 1 point

Return TD’s: 6 points

2 point conversions: 2 points

Fumbles: -1 points

Fumbles lost: -2 points

Offensive Fumble Return for TD: 6 points

@jetstream23 @King P @j4jets @joewilly12

@Dcat

I like everything except the huge bonuses.   I'd prefer no nonus categories at all tbh, but if we really need those I'd cut those down to one and two points.

With the scoring above, a single 40 yard TD reception would get 10.5 for yards/rec/TD.  Then tack on 12 more points from the 2 bonus categories.  22.5 points.  I'd rather see the 10.5 points go up by 2 or 3 points for the bonus..

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

i was thinking - are there any ballers on this forum? and passed on signing up.... regretting it now. 

I'm kind of a big deal in fantasy land. 

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

You could learn a lot from me.

NFFC?

At some point pick two draft dates that seem good and organize the two leagues by which draft date people choose with you and Paradis as commishes. Prime drafting spots are for more of the high stakes games so draft time is critical to play in a free league.

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m thinking the day after the 3rd preseason game, Saturday 8/25. Yahoo runs off of LA time though so we’ll have to figure out the correct time. I run off Central time zone while many here are on Eastern Time. 

I have my Yahoo preferences set to EDT.  You can set them to whatever you want. The default is PDT.

5 hours ago, j4jets said:

Draft order can be one of two. Auto or manual. 

Manual is more fun requires trust. I don’t care either way. But in my usual league, the commish draws names out of the hat and posts it. Sounds more fun. 

The auto will be random and given to you 30 minutes prior to the start time. 

the commish can auto random the draft order at any time prior to the draft.  Yahoo will do it automatically 30 minutes before.

I prefer the commish hit the random draft order button once all the teams are in.  It's better for everyone to know his draft slot at least a couple of days before the draft or more.

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Draft order needs to be randomly selected by Yahoo.

End of discussion. 

of course.  But we can choose to do it at any time.  I am not a fan of finding out 30 minutes before the draft.  I'd like the commish to hit the random draft order button after all 12 teams are in each league.  And Yahoo shows exactly how many times a commish hits the "set draft order" button, so the commish should only be doing it once, otherwise it will look the commish is trying to reset draft order until he finds one he likes for himself.

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'd love to, but I'm up to my scrotum in life at the moment and i already commish my regular "the league"... I don't want to commit and then under deliver

shucks.  Well if @Patriot Killa can't find a separate commish for the 2nd league, I guess I can do it.  But I am already commsh of 3 keeper leagues I run and would greatly prefer someone else step up.

2 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I got you covered. Killa can do one league. I’ll do league B. And if we need a third league, which I’m sure posters would love to join, we can start a league C later on. 

that's awesome!  We just have to make sure that both leagues have the same exact settings and scoring.  The only difference should be the draft date and 12 teams participating.

We'd also have to decide on whether we let it go into week 17.  I'd prefer not.  Let the 2 12-team leagues get their championships done on week 16.  Then, in week 17, the 2 winners from each league can set their rosters on the board here (because Yahoo doesn't allow a Championship merge between 2 different leagues) and they can have a head-to-head show down that we hand score.  

THere are other host sites that allow a Championship game to merge from a pair of champions in different leagues.  I play in one, but it's a pay site, not free.

once we've recruited enough to get 24 teams, we should get a mod to pin this to the top of the Fantasy Sports forum to get it out of the main forum?  

can someone send me the links please?

@Patriot Killa and @j4jets,  I just signed on for the Saturday draft.

I have some concerns about the settings and scoring:

1. Kill the "can't cut list" by Yahoo. It sucks.  It takes them forever to allow you to cut a player after he gets injured.  When Rodgers went down last year, It took them a week to remove Rodgers from the can't cut list thereby impeding Rodgers owners from getting a replacement.  It also takes them forever to make someone IR eligible.
  2. add a negative 1 pts for missed field goals and extra points
  3. the penalties for INTs should be the same as that for fumbles lost.  A turnover is a turnover.  Make them both -2.
  4. The bonuses are redundant and excessive.  A QB who throws a 50 Yard TD gets the following: 4 (TD) + 2 (50 yards) + 1 (40+yd completion bonus) + 2 (40+yd TD).  Similar redundant excess for receiving and rushing.  Frankly, I'd just prefer you give 6 pts for all TDs and reduce or eliminate all the wacked bonuses.  Sometimes simplicity is the best thing you can have.  JMO
  5. Waivers: I prefer the "weekly rolling list based on standings" option.  It resets each week allowing the crappy teams first stab at waivers.  I know it's unfair to the stronger teams, I get that, but it keeps everyone interested even when their team is losing week after week. The other way is more inclined to result in abandoned teams mid season and beyond.  But no biggie there. 
  6. Make the league Publicly Viewable in settings so that we can all see how the other 12-team league is doing and so that others at JN can check in and see how awful some of us are.
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think I'm fine with all of these, actually, except maybe one.... such broad agreement is a rare occurrence on JN! :P  

The only thing I'd push back on slightly is #4.  I completely agree that the bonuses are excessive and kinda double-dipping, but I don't think passing TDs should be 6 points which is the same as rushing and receiving TDs.  Quarterbacks tend to have much higher TD totals with good ones throwing upwards of 25 or 30 in a season.  A great RB or WR typically end ups with what, maybe 12?  I think treating passing TDs the same as rushing and receiving TDs would really skew our scoring and have QBs putting up really big fantasy point totals.  Passing TDs should stay around 4 or 5.

The thing I agree with most is the Can't Cut list.  It's typically done to prevent some jerkoff in a league from getting pissed and cutting Todd Gurley in Week 3 where his buddy who is first on Waiver Wire priority can grab him.  I don't think we'll have that issue and as @Dcat said, if someone gets hurt and you're stuck with him for a few weeks because Yahoo hasn't removed him from the Can't Cut list then that really sucks.

I sit on the other side of that fence regarding QB scoring.  Absolutely hate how most  FF renders QBs far less relevant than they actulayy are in the NFL and less relevant than other position players.  Using 6 pts for passing TDs makes QBs a bit more important and genreally higher scorers than other positions (for which we have multiple starters).  I'm a fan of making QBs more relevant in fantasy.  I even ran a superflex league last year which made QBs overly relevant, IMO.

so has the Sunday drafting team changed its scoring yet to match the Saturday drafting league?  If we want to do a week 17 pencil & paper contest between the 2 leagues' champions, then the scoring really should be the same.  

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company