33 Years Ago Today

Lith

August 3, 1985, Joe Namath is enshrined in Canton

Image result for joe namath hall of fame

Congrats, Joe.  And in a strange bit of irony, joining him in the HOF CLass of 1985 was Pete Rozelle, the guy who almost forced Joe into retirement following the 1968 season.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Is that true? Can't be

It's true. So is his 50.1% career completion percentage. Love the guy, but he doesn't deserve to be enshrined based on his career numbers. Canton places way too much importance on Super Bowl wins. That's why Joe Namath is in, and Joe Klecko remains out.

Stats are only part of it but the Hall should be for people who had dramatic and lasting positive impact on the game. Namath fits into that category. Think of it as a lifetime achievement award instead of for doing one thing really well.

4 hours ago, Lith said:

August 3, 1985, Joe Namath is enshrined in Canton

Image result for joe namath hall of fame

Congrats, Joe.  And in a strange bit of irony, joining him in the HOF CLass of 1985 was Pete Rozelle, the guy who almost forced Joe into retirement following the 1968 season.

No Player, NONE, has had a bigger influence on the league than Joe. 

It's true. So is his 50.1% career completion percentage. Love the guy, but he doesn't deserve to be enshrined based on his career numbers. Canton places way too much importance on Super Bowl wins. That's why Joe Namath is in, and Joe Klecko remains out.

He also never won another playoff game outside of the Super Bowl year.

I think his case is unique because of the legitimizing of the afl and subsequent merger.
Any other web with his numbers wouldn’t be in there. Thank god for Curtis Martin for finally giving the jets a hall of famer with some actual numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

As  being old enough to remember Joe Namath playing, please don't compare stats today from stats of that era, it was a totally different game.

Johnny Unitas, who is considered an immortal, has a 54.6% completion rate.

the defense could pretty much rip out your spleen back then with no flag.  50 years of restricting defense and now passing stat standards are way different.

12 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

tenor (1).gif

12 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

You obviously know nothing about 1960s & 70s football.  Or how good Namath was and what he meant to the league.  

Namath deserves his spot in the hall, not because of the SB

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Anyone on here attend?  I've always wondered if it would be fun going to Canton for a HOF weekend.

i plan on attending when Sam becomes a member of the NFL  HOF  ?..

hqdefault.jpg

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

If Namath didn’t win that super bowl he is not in the hall

How old are you?

If you were alive in the 60s and 70s you wouldnt say any of this.

If you have never seen joe play or watched the league in that era, how can you say the man doesnt deserve to be in the hall?

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Anyone on here attend?  I've always wondered if it would be fun going to Canton for a HOF weekend.

I went in HS as part of a scholar athlete trip.  We got to go to the HOF game (Car/Jax -1st year in the league), a banquet the night before the enshrinement, and the enshrinement itself.  Met a ton of people between the game, hotel and banquet.  Chris Berman, George Young, Gayle Sayers, Ted Hendricks, Steve Largent, Leroy Selmon, Bart Starr, Tom Jackson, a bunch more I can’t remember.  

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

How old are you?

If you were alive in the 60s and 70s you wouldnt say any of this.

If you have never seen joe play or watched the league in that era, how can you say the man doesnt deserve to be in the hall?

They have no clue what they are talking about all they do is look at stats.  The game was totally different then.  Also from 1970 on, Namath played on some of the more horrific Jets teams ever assembled.  He should make that Hall for getting the 1972 & 1974 Jets teams to .500 (7-7).  

it was before so many short passes were thrown to the running backs. You had a fullback and halfback, and the receivers ran longer routes; today, they throw a lot of high percentage stuff, which is almost like a handoff to a running back, so that's why completion percentages are higher today, plus you have this control offense, dinking and danking all day long. It was't like that in the 70's - Caster, BArkum, Maynard, Sauer, even Eddie Bell (during those lean years) were catching bombs....

17 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

He also never won another playoff game outside of the Super Bowl year.

I think his case is unique because of the legitimizing of the afl and subsequent merger.
Any other web with his numbers wouldn’t be in there. Thank god for Curtis Martin for finally giving the jets a hall of famer with some actual numbers.

LOL. This guy doesn't even know who Don Maynard is..... 

Archived