Josh McCown our 10 million dollar QB coach

Jetster

This literally is the 1st time I remember the NY Jets having people in place to bring a young QB along. How cool was it to see McCown welcome Sam to the fold with a head slap? There is no doubt in my mind that having McCown around is the best thing that could happen for a QB under pressure to perform than a guy who's been around forever, encouraging him to be himself, relax & win the QB job. 

McCown is the ultimate teammate, understands his limitations but studies hard, knows the playbook, can translate what he knows and knows he's here to get Sam Darnold up to speed to play QB for the NY Jets. Unselfish guys like this are hard to find, I see him as a future Frank Reich in NFL coaching circles if he does want to pursue coaching in the NFL. It always seems to be the grinders that end up the best coaches, not the elite guys who don't struggle. Jets are doing this right with Darnold, and the 10 million for McCown is worth it. Plus, you have Teddy B, another "nice guy", struggling to get back to where he was before his horrific injury. So Sam gets to work with 2 super classy, hard working, knowledgeable individuals throughout camp & preseason. You couldn't write this script any better. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the draft on NFLN after we picked Sam, it was quick but somebody mentioned that the Jets were going to keep him as a QB coach.  They weren't talking about this year just to help out Sam but it sounded more long-term. Don't know if there's any truth to that or not.

Yes, it's true the Jets never kept Mark Brunell on the team for a couple of years as real competition for Mark Sanchez not as a rostered QBC. Nor did they have Testaverde in place on the team when the reins were passed on to Chad Pennington. Nor did they have Fitzpatrick (and then McCown) on the team for Petty or Hackenberg to learn from (pushing the mentor narratives the local media ran with at every opportunity; they didn't collectively get the idea from out of the air).

So yes, this is totally the first time even this millennium that the Jets have had this in place.

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

10 friggin million...:pooh:

If Sam Bradford is worth 20 million, Josh Mccown is worth 10 especially when you factor in what he brings to the table as a mentor for Darnold. Money well spent on a 1 year deal for a team that still has cap room to spare for this year. 

Sigh 

He's not the coach, bates is the coach 

He is legit competition for the starting job, the best thing for Sam

The fact that he is helping Sam and will step aside gracefully when the time comes makes him an ideal bridge or mentor QB. 

He is not the coach 

Just now, Bruce Harper said:

Lol.  There's a wise-guy in every crowd.

Look what he did for Hack and Petty!!!

j/k

I just think the on field mentor/coach is way blown out of proportion and has very little to do with the overall success of a rookie.  They intend to start Josh, that's why he's getting paid 10 mil.  I legit think there is a less than 0% chance anyone other than Josh starts the season (baring injury).  I hope I'm wrong but Todd is a HUGE coward and I cant see him giving the reigns over to a rookie. 

Just now, JiF said:

Look what he did for Hack and Petty!!!

j/k

I just think the on field mentor/coach is way blown out of proportion and has very little to do with the overall success of a rookie.  They intend to start Josh, that's why he's getting paid 10 mil.  I legit think there is a less than 0% chance anyone other than Josh starts the season (baring injury).  I hope I'm wrong but Todd is a HUGE coward and I cant see him giving the reigns over to a rookie. 

I will respectfully disagree.  Bowles has a history of playing his GOOD rookies.  The scrub young QBs stayed on the bench.  It turns out he was right about that because they were really bad.  I think Darnold will start week one, unless he really stinks up the joint.

45 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This literally is the 1st time I remember the NY Jets having people in place to bring a young QB along. How cool was it to see McCown welcome Sam to the fold with a head slap? There is no doubt in my mind that having McCown around is the best thing that could happen for a QB under pressure to perform than a guy who's been around forever, encouraging him to be himself, relax & win the QB job. 

McCown is the ultimate teammate, understands his limitations but studies hard, knows the playbook, can translate what he knows and knows he's here to get Sam Darnold up to speed to play QB for the NY Jets. Unselfish guys like this are hard to find, I see him as a future Frank Reich in NFL coaching circles if he does want to pursue coaching in the NFL. It always seems to be the grinders that end up the best coaches, not the elite guys who don't struggle. Jets are doing this right with Darnold, and the 10 million for McCown is worth it. Plus, you have Teddy B, another "nice guy", struggling to get back to where he was before his horrific injury. So Sam gets to work with 2 super classy, hard working, knowledgeable individuals throughout camp & preseason. You couldn't write this script any better. 

McCown is a career loser who has a barely 33% winning percentage.  He may be a nice guy, but he's not a winner.  He cannot teach excellence at the position nor winning when he's never displayed either.

With that said, I have no fundamental objection to the Jets having McCown as a QB Coach.

I do (and still) object to having him as an on-roster QB who is very likely to see playing time this season, takes up a roster spot better used on a younger, more capable QB with more upside, and wastes (IMO) 10 million of cap space better used elsewhere.

I've yet to hear a convincing argument that what McCown is providing could not have been provided just as well by a Coach McCown, to both Darnold, and to a 3rd string prospect of some kind.

And please, save the "we don't need any other prospects, we have Darnold" line.  Yes, Darnold is our future stud, we all hope.  He still needs a good #2 behind him, now and in the future.  Having a QB doesn't stop you (nor should it) from developing other QB's.

JMO.

37 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

During the draft on NFLN after we picked Sam, it was quick but somebody mentioned that the Jets were going to keep him as a QB coach.  They weren't talking about this year just to help out Sam but it sounded more long-term. Don't know if there's any truth to that or not.

maybe this is why they didnt hire a qb coach this year

12 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I will respectfully disagree.  Bowles has a history of playing his GOOD rookies.  The scrub young QBs stayed on the bench.  It turns out he was right about that because they were really bad.  I think Darnold will start week one, unless he really stinks up the joint.

Thank you for saying this...I have been pointing this out forever. Bowles will play GOOD players rookie or otherwise. If Sam gives him the best chance to win he will play. There is NO chance he sits on the bench the whole year unless McClown has the year of his life in which case you play the hot hand. 15 years of history says this wont happen and Sam already looks better than Petty or Hack ever did so the kid will play at some point. If the kid continues to look good, and can effectively run the offense then not playing him will get Bowles fired and he knows it. 

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I do (and still) object to having him as an on-roster QB who is very likely to see playing time this season, takes up a roster spot better used on a younger, more capable QB with more upside, and wastes (IMO) 10 million of cap space better used elsewhere.

I agree with a lot of what you said..........except this part........WHO exactly is/was out there that fits this description?

The scouting report on Darnold wasn't, "Top prospect only if you roster a 39 year-old backup QB at $10m for his rookie year, but otherwise he'll probably suck."

I'm quite sure it helps to have a veteran to lean on with questions, but Darnold's success or failure will be because of himself. If he's a success it's a bit self-serving to suggest it's only because of McCown. Darnold is a top prospect in his own right with or without McCown on the roster. Most good and great QBs developed without him. 

• Brees had Flutie in place when he arrived. Didn't seem to help as much as time did
  • Rodgers had Favre, who was famous for being the opposite of help to the young QB
  • Russell Wilson had 27 year-old Matt Flynn and...that's it
  • Brady had a cheater for a HC and pre-snap knowledge of the other team's plays lol
  • Flacco had Troy Smith
  • Matt Ryan had Chris Redman
  • Kirk Cousins had RGIII (i.e. nobody)
  • Cam Newton had Derek Anderson and Jimmy Clausen
  • Wentz had a disgruntled Sam Bradford for his first summer. Pederson probably helped more
  • Dalton had Bruce Gradkowski. He's a QBC now...or anyway a volunteer assistant QBC...for a high school

Then consider:

• Ryan Mallett had Tom Brady
  • JP Losman had Bledsoe
  • Rex Grossman had Chris Chandler and Kordell Stewart
  • Jason Campbell had Mark Brunell
  • Kellen Clemens and Chad Henne both had Chad Pennington
  • Matt Leinart had Kurt Warner
  • Vince Young had Kerry Collins
  • John Beck had Trent Green
  • Blaine Gabbert had the Josh's baby brother Luke McCown
  • Hackenberg had Fitz and then McCown
  • Hundreds of other examples if I cared to spend more time

He'll be a great QB or a great hype or somewhere in between because of a combination of his own ability and the work he puts in himself (plus a really good team around him on the field wouldn't hurt). He isn't going to learn by diffusion just because Josh McCown is on the roster at the same time. 

39 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

10 friggin million...:pooh:

Whatever it takes to help Sam out is how I look at it. Yes, perhaps signing a positional player would have been great with that money but the coaching/mentoring and positive attitude that McCown brings to those QB meetings is worth it.  Its a one year deal, so we will have that money next year to spend.  

11 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I agree with a lot of what you said..........except this part........WHO exactly is/was out there that fits this description?

Any young prospect available in the draft or free agency.  I don't have a specific developmental prospect in mind. 

Any young, big-potential-upside-but-needs-alot-of-time-and-teaching-raw type prospect would be appropriate.

And use the now-free $10 million to buy more help for Darnold elsewhere (like the O-line, which is not a strong unit on-paper today).

A win/win.

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He'll be a great QB or a great hype or somewhere in between because of a combination of his own ability and the work he puts in himself (plus a really good team around him on the field wouldn't hurt). He isn't going to learn by diffusion just because Josh McCown is on the roster at the same time. 

and bingo was his name-oh.

this whole mclown is a martyr schtick is a load of malarkey

54 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes, it's true the Jets never kept Mark Brunell on the team for a couple of years as real competition for Mark Sanchez not as a rostered QBC. Nor did they have Testaverde in place on the team when the reins were passed on to Chad Pennington. Nor did they have Fitzpatrick (and then McCown) on the team for Petty or Hackenberg to learn from (pushing the mentor narratives the local media ran with at every opportunity; they didn't collectively get the idea from out of the air).

So yes, this is totally the first time even this millennium that the Jets have had this in place.

Oh f*ck YOU! You are biggest azz on this f*cking site, nothing but put downs, snarky remarks & stupid azz responses! There is no doubt in my mind your a pencil d*cked loser with arms as thick as broomsticks tappinmg away in your mothers basement. You literally are the worst thing about fan sites! 

For your information, both Vinnie Testeverde & Mark Brunnell were the WORST MENTORS! Neither of the 2 were EVER considered MENTAL GIANTS when it came to Xs & Os. Brunnells career was OVER when he had to play in the pocket, plus he was only here to collect a check to pay off his debts that the stupid azz wracked up in the real world. Fitzpatrick was a MENTOR? yea, ok! He showed those young guys how to throw 5 picks in a game.

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's why he coached up another 30 edge rushers who ended up just as dominant. Duh.

How the hell did they make a snarky azz like you a moderator? Seriously, your responses to almost everything on this site is like a Beevus & Butthead discussion. You type & probably go haa..haa..ha. 

16 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

For those that don't think McCown is a good "QB coach/mentor" because of his record as a player, what do you have to say about this guy who worked with Sam before he got here?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-draft-palmer-20180422-story.html

He did less as a pro

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4279/jordan-palmer

NOBODY thinks he is a good mentor because of his record as a player, most of the best coaches who were former players werent necessarily winner or the best players. Most of the best players cant cut it as a coach so his playing/winning record has nothing to do with whether or not he is a good mentor. 

12 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

coaching is overrated

as if LT was LT cos of Fatcells

Coming from a fan that wants to fire everyone? Coaching seems to be working in Philly & LA..wonder why? Most Jet fans would cream their pants if Belichick retired before the season. 

50 minutes ago, peebag said:

They signed McCown because they didn't know who they were going to pick up in the draft.  They were totally thrown off by the availability of Darnold.

agreed !.. i'm glad we have  BOTH  of them on our roster     ?

I'm fully expecting McCown back next year for about $5 M.  If it helps Darnold even a bit adjust to the NFL, I'm all for it.

Keep in mind how young Darnold is.  Just turned 21.  He has only payed QB for 3 years including HS.  Yeah, he needs someone he trusts to guide him along.  Vast majority of the time this "vet mentor" thing is way over rated.  The vet is more concerned about staying in the NFL then he is in teaching a rookie how to take his job.

McCown's different.  He was originally hired because the Jets didn't have anyone else.  He's now taken a new role, and he knows it.  By helping Darnold as much as possible he will probably make an extra $5,000,000 next year.  And prehaps be the Jets QB coach in 20.

Really don't see any harm in it, and prehaps a lot of good.

Archived