Josh McCown our 10 million dollar QB coach

Jetster

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

**** you! I'll just go elsewhere, I was getting sick of all the idiots like you on this site anyway. Go **** yourself, and Sperm is a great moniker for you! Max and Glen should realize that assholes like you DON'T make the site & especially the forums any better. You being a MODERATOR is like pervert working a daycare.

When I plug in my browser's translator this comes through as:

"I'm open to and can cope with all opinions I agree with. Others make me uncontrollably lash out at people personally and type out an embarrassing temper tantrum or two." 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Everybody is a role model..some show you what to do, others show you what NOT to do.

LOL. I couldn't have said it better myself. In fact I did in the post you quoted. Thanks for checking in though.

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Brick sucked his last 2 years here. He was meh in pass blocking and an outright liability in run blocking. You're still beating that drum? Lol.

He went after 1 elite-level OLman, and let him get away while sitting on nearly $100m of cap room for this year alone. 

What I wouldn't be killing him for is if he'd taken a center in the draft after cutting Mangold, instead of putting all his eggs in Wes Johnson, and putting him in the position to pay heavily for just-ok. The differential between the moves for this position alone is about $30m.

But hey, we have Ardarius Stewart instead so it's all good. 

My point is more that you make running a team seem like it's so easy, just push the button 

Maccagnan overall has failed to bring in enough talent to win. I'm not trying to defend his record, just you have such an axe to grind its just too much 

Can you pinch your nose and offer up non sarcastic unambiguous praise for at least 3 moves Maccagnan has made? 

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

5 picks in a game, lol. How many picks has McCown thrown over the years? Has he ever been the QB a real contender wanted to start for them? If I were you I'd retort with, "What's McCown going to show him, how to lose 2/3 of his starts?" They're two different things, and anyone trying to highlight the wisdom of McCown's presence presumably should know this.

Please, don't tell us that to be a good coach you have to have been a winner or that someone who wasn't/isn't a good player can't coach in general or their position.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

My point is more that you make running a team seem like it's so easy, just push the button 

Maccagnan overall has failed to bring in enough talent to win. I'm not trying to defend his record, just you have such an axe to grind its just too much 

Can you pinch your nose and offer up non sarcastic unambiguous praise for at least 3 moves Maccagnan has made? 

:pinches nose:

He did a fantastic job of overpaying for trading up in the draft and completely lucking into Darnold.

Marcus Maye looks like the first 2nd round pick that isn't horrible for the Jets in a long time. And that's a big compliment for Maye because outplaying the great Jamal Adams, the sixth overall pick in the draft, is quite the accomplishment.

Lachlan Edwards is the best pound-4-pound player that he's drafted. After 4 years on the job you gotta give him credit for that.

Josh helps fill the gaps of our QB situation. We can afford to sit Darnold at first if he needed it because he's here. We can afford to trade Teddy if somebody wanted to trade him because he's here. We can potentially salvage a season with him as a veteran leader the offense can support if *knocks on wood* Sam got the starting job and got hurt in the middle of the year because he's here.

He's a great backup option in many respects and a great leader, and I think he's every bit worth that 10 million to us this year because of that. Actually, I kind of wish he was 3 or 4 years younger just so he can play Sam's backup for the duration of his rookie contract. 

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He did a fantastic job of overpaying for trading up in the draft and completely lucking into Darnold.

Marcus Maye looks like the first 2nd round pick that isn't horrible for the Jets in a long time. And that's a big compliment for Maye because outplaying the great Jamal Adams, the sixth overall pick in the draft, is quite the accomplishment.

He should have offered a lot more for Wentz, gets blamed for trading less to get the better prospect.  Of course he doesn't even get credit for the pick, it was luck.  Like Williams was luck.  And Adams was luck.  Oh, wait, he sucks right?  

20 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

During the draft on NFLN after we picked Sam, it was quick but somebody mentioned that the Jets were going to keep him as a QB coach.  They weren't talking about this year just to help out Sam but it sounded more long-term. Don't know if there's any truth to that or not.

I think that is why we didn’t sign a QB coach. Signing McCown to $10M may sound crazy but during the time between minicamp and training camp the coaches can’t really meet with players, but players can get together. McCown is kind of a loop hole as a coach. I’d bet money on McCown being the QB coach in the next year or two.

I find it interesting that McCown is considered a loser by so many.  McCown is an NFL survivor and true professional.  How many other QBs from his class are still around?  You look at players like Ryan Fitzpatrick, how is he still around?  A 7th round draft pick from Harvard....no F*k'n way he should still be in the league, but he is.  Wait, better yet, how is he starting for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?  There is so much more to playing QB than throwing a perfect spiral.  That is why these journeymen are still well employed and guys like Mark Sanchez are not.

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Please, don't tell us that to be a good coach you have to have been a winner or that someone who wasn't/isn't a good player can't coach in general or their position.

Try reading what I wrote and what I was responding to.

The post you're quoting was in response to someone claiming Fitzpatrick being a subpar player therefore means he would be a subpar "mentor" -- and did so while praising McCown as a QB mentor. If you can figure that one out then get back to me. 

47 minutes ago, afjetsfan said:

I find it interesting that McCown is considered a loser by so many.  McCown is an NFL survivor and true professional.  How many other QBs from his class are still around?  You look at players like Ryan Fitzpatrick, how is he still around?  A 7th round draft pick from Harvard....no F*k'n way he should still be in the league, but he is.  Wait, better yet, how is he starting for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?  There is so much more to playing QB than throwing a perfect spiral.  That is why these journeymen are still well employed and guys like Mark Sanchez are not.

He's a loser in the sense that he hasn't had one winning record as a starting QB. But guys like him are your trustworthy back-ups that can come in and finish a game or fill in for a game or two and not totally wreck the season. They're not good enough to play a full season as a starter. Nothing wrong with that.

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Try reading what I wrote and what I was responding to.

The post you're quoting was in response to someone claiming Fitzpatrick being a subpar player therefore means he would be a subpar "mentor" -- and did so while praising McCown as a QB mentor. If you can figure that one out then get back to me. 

I asked a friggen question.  It wasn't clear.  Shlt wtf Sperm.

14 hours ago, Larz said:

I've done it plenty. When the bad outweighs the good 9:1 it does mean that the good is 1 out of 10 not 0 out of 10.

In terms of actual judgment calls where he made a move anyone couldn't have made:

I like Williamson over Davis

Carpenter was a good pickup for 2 years, but even Macc would surely admit he got way lucky on that one; Carpenter certainly wasn't his first choice.

Claiborne on 1-year deals is good. If he's not retained then the team could be in line for a free pick a year later. 

Bridgewater was a good pickup.

The problem with some of his supposedly-good additions is context is removed when assessing the value. Like McLendon was only added because this idiot didn't extend Snacks as a RFA in 2015, vastly underestimating his importance to the line. He thought he'd be clever, and could just extend him later on or pick up a 2nd rounder no one was offering up. Except another team saw the value he didn't. He was probably in the $5-6m/year range in March of 2015 due to one less year accrued and with the leverage of Snacks having only a non-guaranteed 1 yr $3m RFA contract. It only makes it worse that 2015 was an offseason the team was flush with cap room he wasted on others who didn't have nearly Harrison's chances of playing out the contract, benefitting from signing early (picture his value in 2018 or 2019 at $6m per). This is all ignored and he's given praise for McLendon instead of being appropriately lambasted for choosing McLendon and $3m/year over Snacks. $3m that he's happy to waste on the likes of paying Jarvis Jenkins for half a season as a backup. 

My axe to grind is I'd like to see the Jets win a superbowl and this simply will not happen until he's gone. He is a poor talent evaluator and is mind-numbingly ignorant to positional importance. Truly thrilled as I am with the hopes Darnold now brings to the QB position, it's his 4th year here and he wasn't influenced in the prior 3 years by having an entrenched starter; we were desperate for a starting QB from the moment he got here and this is the first serious prospect he's brought in. I don't get the willingness to gloss over 3 wasted seasons out of 3. The truth is also we don't know if he'll be as good as the QB opportunities he willingly passed on in each of his prior 3 seasons, though we all certainly hope. 

20 hours ago, Jetster said:

**** you! I'll just go elsewhere, I was getting sick of all the idiots like you on this site anyway. Go **** yourself, and Sperm is a great moniker for you! Max and Glen should realize that assholes like you DON'T make the site & especially the forums any better. You being a MODERATOR is like pervert working a daycare.

POTW

20 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah okay. Just what you want a guy with McCowns career won-lost record showing Darnold the ropes. Unless he's showing him what not to do I wouldn't want a scrub like McCown anywhere near my FQB. You keep deluding yourself though.

This is more than a bit harsh.  The guy is a pro.  He has hung around for a long time despite so/so skills.  He knows how to work, look at tape, dedicate himself.  Don't see how he could possibly be a bad influence.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I've done it plenty. When the bad outweighs the good 9:1 it does mean that the good is 1 out of 10 not 0 out of 10.

In terms of actual judgment calls where he made a move anyone couldn't have made:

I like Williamson over Davis

Carpenter was a good pickup for 2 years, but even Macc would surely admit he got way lucky on that one; Carpenter certainly wasn't his first choice.

Claiborne on 1-year deals is good. If he's not retained then the team could be in line for a free pick a year later. 

Bridgewater was a good pickup.

The problem with some of his supposedly-good additions is context is removed when assessing the value. Like McLendon was only added because this idiot didn't extend Snacks as a RFA in 2015, vastly underestimating his importance to the line. He thought he'd be clever, and could just extend him later on or pick up a 2nd rounder no one was offering up. Except another team saw the value he didn't. He was probably in the $5-6m/year range in March of 2015 due to one less year accrued and with the leverage of Snacks having only a non-guaranteed 1 yr $3m RFA contract. It only makes it worse that 2015 was an offseason the team was flush with cap room he wasted on others who didn't have nearly Harrison's chances of playing out the contract, benefitting from signing early (picture his value in 2018 or 2019 at $6m per). This is all ignored and he's given praise for McLendon instead of being appropriately lambasted for choosing McLendon and $3m/year over Snacks. $3m that he's happy to waste on the likes of paying Jarvis Jenkins for half a season as a backup. 

My axe to grind is I'd like to see the Jets win a superbowl and this simply will not happen until he's gone. He is a poor talent evaluator and is mind-numbingly ignorant to positional importance. Truly thrilled as I am with the hopes Darnold now brings to the QB position, it's his 4th year here and he wasn't influenced in the prior 3 years by having an entrenched starter; we were desperate for a starting QB from the moment he got here and this is the first serious prospect he's brought in. I don't get the willingness to gloss over 3 wasted seasons out of 3. The truth is also we don't know if he'll be as good as the QB opportunities he willingly passed on in each of his prior 3 seasons, though we all certainly hope. 

Just couldn't help yourself lol

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

This is more than a bit harsh.  The guy is a pro.  He has hung around for a long time despite so/so skills.  He knows how to work, look at tape, dedicate himself.  Don't see how he could possibly be a bad influence.

What can I say? Yeah he may know how to do all those things but the bottom line is still there in terms of win-loss. He may be a pro and is dedicated but it didn't translate as far as wins go. Bottom line McCown is everything BUT a winner as his career record shows. You want a guy to like that influencing an impressionable young QB? I don't.

8 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

What can I say? Yeah he may know how to do all those things but the bottom line is still there in terms of win-loss. He may be a pro and is dedicated but it didn't translate as far as wins go. Bottom line McCown is everything BUT a winner as his career record shows. You want a guy to like that influencing an impressionable young QB? I don't.

Those that can't do teach. McCown has the smarts, strength of will, and professionalism. He wasn't gifted with the athletic abilities that Sam has. Because he wasn't a great QB, he can't teach? Also, Football is a team sport, you can be great and not win the big show; But, again, just because McCown doesn't have the gifts and hasn't won a lot of games, doesn't mean he cannot teach/mentor.

12 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Great players very rarely make good coaches.   In fact, i can't think of any.  It comes too easily to them.  It's the second-tier guys who really have to think things through and analyze things to stay in the league.  That translates to coaching and probably also translates to mentoring, IMHO.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:24 AM, peebag said:

They signed McCown because they didn't know who they were going to pick up in the draft.  They were totally thrown off by the availability of Darnold.

No one thought Mayfield first but then again it is the Browns

They gave McCown that 10 mil contract before they drafted Darnold (they had the overall #6 before that trade and nobody thought they could get Darnold) or signed Teddy. They traded up and were committed to drafting a Qb. So you can say it's a lot of money for a Qb coach but there is still a good chance he could be the starter. Of course we'd all love it if Sam is ready to go on opening day. 

51 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I know. You asked for only 3 things and I gave you 4.

Just wanted to show how highly I think of this GM's mad skillz.

I get it, it's been mostly bad, but maybe now and then you can use your powers for good, even if just to throw a bone to the homers ?

11 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think that is why we didn’t sign a QB coach. Signing McCown to $10M may sound crazy but during the time between minicamp and training camp the coaches can’t really meet with players, but players can get together. McCown is kind of a loop hole as a coach. I’d bet money on McCown being the QB coach in the next year or two.

This is what most people overlook in regards to McCown being here. A true QB coach would have had limited contact with Sam most of the time between the draft and the beginning of training camp. But since McCown is a player he's been in regular contact with Darnold.

People always talk about the brilliance of Pats, and how they find ways around the rules. The Jets did the same in this case, and people are complaining about it.

11 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Those that can't do teach. McCown has the smarts, strength of will, and professionalism. He wasn't gifted with the athletic abilities that Sam has. Because he wasn't a great QB, he can't teach? Also, Football is a team sport, you can be great and not win the big show; But, again, just because McCown doesn't have the gifts and hasn't won a lot of games, doesn't mean he cannot teach/mentor.

I disagree with the embolded. I think the opposite is true when it comes to McCown. I have watched many guys who were not great physical specimens win in this league due to intelligence, strength of will and professionalism. McCown is the physical prototype of an NFL passer. He is 6'4 218 pounds. He can throw the ball reasonably well but always seems to throw that crucial INT or turn it over at crucial points in the game. I don't think he has the strength of will to win games. He may have some smarts but he cannot apply that knowledge on the field. He maybe a nice guy and all but when it comes to having that extra thing it takes to be a winning NFL QB he just doesn't have it. Sam Darnold has that something and I don't think he needs McCown to "mentor" him. Maybe he can familiarize him with the playbook but Sam will get that down eventually without his help. No paying McCown 10 mil is a little much IMO. I think it was a panic move when they lost out on Cousins  It all turned out well that Darnold fell to them but signing both McCown and TB makes me think they might not have picked a QB in the 1st if Darnold wasn't there. Of course this is all speculation on my part I admit that but I think if Darnold was already picked they might have taken a certain RB from Penn State and went with TB and had McCown as insurance if TB wasn't healthy. We will never know and I thank God Sam is a Jet. I think Sam Darnold would rise or fall as the starter with or without McCown. McCown is a luxury they could afford but I doubt he will make a difference in Sam's development.

12 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Great players very rarely make good coaches.   In fact, i can't think of any.  It comes too easily to them.  It's the second-tier guys who really have to think things through and analyze things to stay in the league.  That translates to coaching and probably also translates to mentoring, IMHO.

Maybe. I just think Darnold is the complete package and would rise or fall with or without McCown. McCown has the physical tools as I mentioned in another response. Its the on field mistakes he seems to make at crucial moments in games. This is why I don't think he is the "mentor" that everyone makes him out to be. A guy with football smarts has the ability to recognize those mistakes and correct them. McCown seems like he can't make that adjustment. How many times in games in his career has he thrown the crucial INT or fumbled at crunch time? I simply don't think Darnold needs McCown. He is green but he has all the tools and I think the coaching staff is enough to bring out his talent. McCown is a 10 mil luxury that is really not needed IMO.

Archived