Green/White Scrimmage Discussion ~~ Sar got banned thread

Patriot Killa

3 minutes ago, BigO said:

Nah. I’m one of the minorities Sar 1 is talking about. And NO I didn’t vote for Chump. By 2025 half of this country will be Latino. Let that sink into your pea brain ?. They’ll have to change the menu at the Jet concession stands from grease burgers to Spanish/Mexican delicacies. But feel free to bring your baloney sandwiches on Wonder bread to the scrimmages. 

in 2025 you won't be allowed to say things like this  "But feel free to bring your baloney sandwiches on Wonder bread to the scrimmages." :-)

but your demographics info is totally off FYI. 

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I've been interacting with SAR for years (decades?) from back in the JI days.  There's no way to defend what he said.  I do think most of us who "know" him probably took his inappropriate comment as a poor attempt at humor with no true ill will towards minorities, but the simple fact is that there are certain things you simply don't joke about and insulting people because of their race, religion, orientation, etc. just can't be tolerated one iota.  And, it's not just because of the current state of the world or how things are trending lately, the social justice or "me too" stuff or whatever.  It's simply wrong anytime....today, yesterday, last year or two decades ago.  It's never fun to see a longtime poster banned for an extended time, especially when 60 days will take us well into the season, but there's really no way to argue that it should be anything less than that.  Hopefully some lessons were learned and everyone can just move on from this.  Go Jets!

Same is true for me.  Since the mid 1990's actually, way back on usenet.  Scott was using his 1996 humor, which was socially acceptable then (notwithstanding your claim that it was "never" socially acceptable - sorry, it was - doesn't make it right, but that sort of humor was widely accepted then).  I get why Max felt compelled to ban him.  And I also get why @Charlie Brown was reluctant.  I would have been the same.  It was obviously a lame attempt at humor.  But this is a social forum and those kind of remarks can be and are offensive to others, notwithstanding that societal mores, particularly with humor, once willingly accepted them.  I've met Scott and interacted with him many times.  He is not a racist. I have no doubt whatsoever about that.   But he likes to act like a stand-up comedian even though the stage here is unlike that of a comedy club, where potentially offensive humor like that is still delivered each and every day.  

Scott is a solid contributor to the forum.  As Max said, the forum doesn't "need" any one of us, but we as a group make up the collective whole, and SAR's banishment has an impact here.  SAR did apologize and I believe he understands that this forum is not the place for his brand of stand-up-like humor that was indeed once permissible.  As for the severity of the 60 day sentence, I hope it comes with the possibility of a 30 day "parole hearing" .  The forum is a better place with all contributing.  Just my take on it.  Like Charlie Brown, I wouldn't have been so quick to ban him, only because I know this was a poor attempt at humor.. but how would  others, who don't know SAR from Adam (not you - just a euphemism), know that?  When you go to a comedy club, you walk in expecting that sort of stuff and with a willingness to laugh and not to be offended.  Not so here on a public Jets forum.

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I want to apologize to the Board.

I was the first Moderator who tried to respond to SAR's inappropriate comments and I did a piss poor job.

I should have banned SAR as Max rightly did; I wont make that mistake again....

No need to apologize CB is it true the NY Times offered you a job??\\:D/ 

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Anyone give me the TLDR on this SAR ban?  Don't have the bandwidth to read 14 pages, Thanks.  

Pretty much he b!tched about too many people on the concession stand lines and how charging a few dollars at the door would have kept the crowd number down and resulting in him NOT appearing to be some lone albino-colored glowstick in a sea of sweaty Jersey-nites who have no melanin issues. 

I grew up amongst his ilk and that schtick of humor - usually being the butt end of those "jokes" - but some people who don't get his 80's/90's humor take it literally and throw hissy fits. Take it from where it comes: the gutter. 

He was punished accordingly and, LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE IN LIFE, we MOVE ON!

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Pretty much he b!tched about too many people on the concession stand lines and how charging a few dollars at the door would have kept the crowd number down and resulting in him NOT appearing to be some lone albino-colored glowstick in a sea of sweaty Jersey-nites who have no melanin issues. 

I grew up amongst his ilk and that schtick of humor - usually being the butt end of those "jokes" - but some people who don't get his 80's/90's humor take it literally and throw hissy fits. 

He was punished accordingly and, LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE IN LIFE, we MOVE ON!

+1 Too many people these days are addicted to outrage..

Just now, Savage69 said:

+1 Too many people these days are addicted to outrage..

By mere U.S. Consensus defintion, I should be "outraged" by his "weak humor" comment, but I'm an ADULT who doesn't get "hurt" or "traumatized" by some letters some random buffoon typed on the internet. 

He was admonished and punished accordingly. At this point, lock the damn thread already since it's ONLY going to contribute more to NON-Jets football bickering and how US demographics are shifting and redefining citizen categorizations, ridiculous! :rolleyes:

44 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Same is true for me.  Since the mid 1990's actually, way back on usenet.  Scott was using his 1996 humor, which was socially acceptable then (notwithstanding your claim that it was "never" socially acceptable - sorry, it was - doesn't make it right, but that sort of humor was widely accepted then).  I get why Max felt compelled to ban him.  And I also get why @Charlie Brown was reluctant.  I would have been the same.  It was obviously a lame attempt at humor.  But this is a social forum and those kind of remarks can be and are offensive to others, notwithstanding that societal mores, particularly with humor, once willingly accepted them.  I've met Scott and interacted with him many times.  He is not a racist. I have no doubt whatsoever about that.   But he likes to act like a stand-up comedian even though the stage here is unlike that of a comedy club, where potentially offensive humor like that is still delivered each and every day.  

Scott is a solid contributor to the forum.  As Max said, the forum doesn't "need" any one of us, but we as a group make up the collective whole, and SAR's banishment has an impact here.  SAR did apologize and I believe he understands that this forum is not the place for his brand of stand-up-like humor that was indeed once permissible.  As for the severity of the 60 day sentence, I hope it comes with the possibility of a 30 day "parole hearing" .  The forum is a better place with all contributing.  Just my take on it.  Like Charlie Brown, I wouldn't have been so quick to ban him, only because I know this was a poor attempt at humor.. but how would  others, who don't know SAR from Adam (not you - just a euphemism), know that?  When you go to a comedy club, you walk in expecting that sort of stuff and with a willingness to laugh and not to be offended.  Not so here on a public Jets forum.

A lot of this would be true, but he has a penchant for these types of comments. I remember a conversation about Curtis Martin, and a comment that he made was just flat out curious in a "what are you actually thinking" kind of way.

I don't know the man, but he makes poor choices, and there is a pattern.

Besides that, do you know who the first person that says "post reported", when you he feels the slightest insult? SAR. 

Enough about him, and he is no comic. No place for this stuff here or anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

A lot of this would be true, but he has a penchant for these types of comments. I remember a conversation about Curtis Martin, and a comment that he made was just flat out curious in a "what are you actually thinking" kind of way.

I don't know the man, but he makes poor choices, and there is a pattern.

Besides that, do you know who the first person that says "post reported", when you he feels the slightest insult? SAR. 

Enough about him, and he is no comic. No place for this stuff here or anywhere. 

agreed.  My response was just my take on it as well as to express my hope that his membership here is restored.  I know some people here get a kick out of demonizing him, but I see him as a positive contributor to this forum. 

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

agreed.  My response was just my take on it as well as to express my hope that his membership here is restored.  I know some people here get a kick out of demonizing him, but I see him as a positive contributor to this forum. 

Like most, he has his good AND bad posts in this forum.

I agree it shouldn't be permanent, but apparently he needed a TimeOut and it's always refreshing when a long-time poster reappears after a hiatus and adds a splash of color (polar -white? carnation pink? :P ) in the comments on game-day threads. 

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

in 2025 you won't be allowed to say things like this  "But feel free to bring your baloney sandwiches on Wonder bread to the scrimmages." :-)

but your demographics info is totally off FYI. 

Corrected. Projections are by 2060, half of US will be ‘minorities’ (Asian, Latino, Blacks). Anyways, not racist in the least. I don’t like fingers pointed at me (not you, but Patriot Killa trying to paint me as a racist which is laughable. He just doesn’t know when to leave things alone). When you point a finger at someone, you’re pointing three at yourself. ??

Archived