Green/White Scrimmage Discussion ~~ Sar got banned thread

Patriot Killa

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Ive been reading SAR and his unique brand of humor for 20+ years.   I can see how it's tough to handle for people who dont know it but it was meant to be funny.  I'll admit I sort of half groan-laughed reading it.  Glad you eased off the ban hammer. 2018 is very different from 1998. 

As atonement I will never again attend a Green & White Scrimmage.  You can count on that.

SAR I

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that's jumped out at me since, honestly, Darnold's pro day and even more recently?  That release has been shortened a substantial amount.  It doesn't look nearly as goofy as it did back during his first year starting.  It, truthfully, doesn't even look like the same release.  I mean, it was drastically different last year while he was at USC (comparing Soph to Junior year), but another off-season of work has really cleaned up his mechanics.  It's night and day.

Another observation?  The dude is impressively built for a rookie QB.  I'm genuinely surprised.  He looks like he's been in an NFL lifting program for 3 years already, lol.

17 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

One thing that's jumped out at me since, honestly, Darnold's pro day and even more recently?

That release has been shortened a substantial amount.  It doesn't look nearly as goofy as it did back during his first year starting.  It was drastically different last year while he was at USC (comparing Soph to Junior year), but another off-season of work has really cleaned up his mechanics.  It's night and day.

Another observation?  The dude is impressively built for a rookie QB.  I'm genuinely surprised.  He looks like he's been in an NFL lifting program for 3 years already, lol.

I just want him to stop fumbling snaps. This was his first time doing it since rookie minicamp so i’ll give him that, but it has to stop

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I just want him to stop fumbling snaps. This was his first time doing it since rookie minicamp so i’ll give him that, but it has to stop

Agreed. Just got back and I like what I’m hearing overall. I do have concerns with the interior offensive line but remember reading recently about Bowles trying to create pressure from the interior/A gap blitzing to make up for lack of passrushers. Maybe they are one to something.

I unfortunately think it’s a nagging issue with our interior O-line. 

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

Does anyone think that the designed rollout plays will be enough to take pressure off the interior of our O-line? They can’t blitz the middle if we roll out frequently. Even toss plays with Cannon would be deadly. Wishful thinking I guess. 

Yeah it should do some good. If the running game gets off to a fast start, it will only help the PA because they’ll know Darnold can roll out well but they won’t know what we are going to do pre-snap as much because of the other effective options we can run out of those formations. 

Crowell, Powell and Cannon need to be big for us this year, especially if Darnold starts. Darnold is going to need guys to alleviate some pressure off of him and hold up on their end while he learns a little more each week.

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I can only speculate, but I noticed that the fumble came with Travis Swanson, who Darnold hasn't had much experience with so far.  I've noticed through camp reports that Swanson has mostly worked with Teddy and McCown (when Spencer Long was out) and Sam has spent most of his time rotating between Jonathan Harrison and Spencer Long.  Having played the position, on a team that ran a ton of I-Formation and "pro" stuff from under center no-less, it can be pretty tricky to adjust to a different guy.  Especially in team drills (or a live game, obviously) when there are a million other things that you're trying to focus on at the same time.  My freshman year of high school was the first experience I had with "under center" snaps and it was a pretty big adjustment.  In Rookie Camp, when this last occurred with Sam, this scenario seemed like it was the case because one of the UDFA centers they brought in had just about every QB he worked with fumbling snaps.

That all being said, I could be totally wrong and, in this instance, the truth was he just plain bobbled it.  Hoenstly, we'll probably never know and I am, likely, just babbling on because I'm bored at 2AM, lol.  I just figured I'd offer a personal experience and some insight.  

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Agreed. Just got back and I like what I’m hearing overall. I do have concerns with the interior offensive line but remember reading recently about Bowles trying to create pressure from the interior/A gap blitzing to make up for lack of passrushers. Maybe they are one to something.

I unfortunately think it’s a nagging issue with our interior O-line. 

While I don't believe our line is anywhere near "perfect", it should definitely be noted that Winters was given the night off so they were rotating a couple of guys in there and experimenting a little bit.  I'd still expect, and prefer, us to pick up some guys that shake loose.  We're pretty thin with our depth at G and T and that, to me, is the biggest concern.

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

One thing that's jumped out at me since, honestly, Darnold's pro day and even more recently?  That release has been shortened a substantial amount.  It doesn't look nearly as goofy as it did back during his first year starting.  It, truthfully, doesn't even look like the same release.  I mean, it was drastically different last year while he was at USC (comparing Soph to Junior year), but another off-season of work has really cleaned up his mechanics.  It's night and day.

"Suck for Sam" was a thing for a reason. I agree his release is even faster but it was never ever slow like Leberfield always want to say. Sam was the #1 pick in everyones mind for 18 months of so because he is the best, most dynamic QB prospect in a while. But in the year of the nitpick people find minute things to hate on him for. And forgot he was 20. Now with him in camp it seems everyone is remembering what made him such a dominating prospect in the first place.

2 hours ago, BroadwayBen said:

Would love to see some Trenton Cannon footage from this game if possible

Cannon moved up a notch from "flashing" tonight especially since he showed he can pick up blitzes. Excited to see if he can bring it to a game.

Some observations:

BAD THINGS-

-Too many penalties, so many push-ups 

- 1 TD and it was from Josh McCown, to a man covered by Darron Lee... so it was worst case scenario 

- O-line especially the second team but especially the RG

- WRs were mostly nonexistent. Did Ardarious Stewart practice?

GOOD THINGS-

- We have tight ends. Seriously, Herndon, Sterling, Tomlinson and Walford played well and showed good hand skills at various levels.

- Sam Darnold’s release is quick and he can fling it outside and deep in an instant.

- Sam Darnold thinks he can beat your man coverage at all times and I like it.

- Trinnaman will be a nice practice squad guy to check in on next year

- TRENTON CANNON was a revelation. It’d suck if he can’t put it together on Sundays because he was terrific. He made one catch fully outstretched and was able to put a juke on his defender before he even fully reeled in the catch. It was a great looking play. 

- Foley Fatukasi made himself known a bit

NEITHER GOOD NOR BAD-

- Derek Anderson is big AF

- Jamal Adams is constantly moving or yelling

- Lawrence Thomas catching balls and running down field looks chaotic

30 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

How many people do you guys think attended last night's scrimmage? Some reporters suggested it was much higher than prior scrimmages (Darnold effect of course).

Don't know the seating capacity of the stadium, but except for the section around the south end zone, which was closed off and mostly empty except for some VIP seats, I would say the stadium was about 75 percent full.

At this point the unit that needs the most attention and coaching is the O-Line.  These coaches need to figure out how to get competent play from this group.  Without that, the development of this squad will be incredibly hard to do.  Beachum is banged up, he is “week to week”, which doesn’t sound promising.  It’s all about the O line now, Mac and Bowles need to find a way to make this group work.  

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

At this point the unit that needs the most attention and coaching is the O-Line.  These coaches need to figure out how to get competent play from this group.  Without that, the development of this squad will be incredibly hard to do.  Beachum is banged up, he is “week to week”, which doesn’t sound promising.  It’s all about the O line now, Mac and Bowles need to find a way to make this group work.  

Yep, keep in mind that Winters didn't play, and they were using back up C's a lot.

But your right this needs attention.   

Stop playing the victim. I’m a minority too and I said I was sorry. Move on. 
SAR I
Comment was out of line ... But seriously .. SARs been on here forever ... Sometimes mistakes are made with poor judgement ... Not a hanging offense.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

At the start of camp I thought this was a 7-9 team, but now it feels like a 4-12 team. The interior OL seems to be a series of turnstiles (which was a problem last year) and the speed at OLB is still non-competitive. The stars of camp have been literally anyone who lines up at DT, Trenton Cannon, and the new TE, which indicates, again, that the middle of the field is open for business for opposing offenses, and any RB who runs a sub 4.7/40 is going to win on the edge. These are bad, bad things and fundamental problems that are impossible to overcome. Add to that the offense has been penalty-prone throughout camp and you have a disaster awaiting. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

At the start of camp I thought this was a 7-9 team, but now it feels like a 4-12 team. The interior OL seems to be a series of turnstiles (which was a problem last year) and the speed at OLB is still non-competitive. The stars of camp have been literally anyone who lines up at DT, Trenton Cannon, and the new TE, which indicates, again, that the middle of the field is open for business for opposing offenses, and any RB who runs a sub 4.7/40 is going to win on the edge. These are bad, bad things and fundamental problems that are impossible to overcome. 

I hate to say it but I think you’re right. I left practice yesterday feeling not so great about the team. I think our receivers had an off day but for this team to succeed they have to be able to stay spread on offense and on defense I don’t think we’ve solved anything in the same positions we’ve struggled for years. 

I only saw one practice but for the first time all offseason I felt the SOJ creep.

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Minority is a phrase that will have to be redifined very soon, especially in certain laws, and policy’s that were set in place to force the racist political Aholes to stop discrimination for certain professions, and/or positions within a company/profession.

In my school district the white race is included in the minority, the majority of people within my school districts borders are Latino, it’s always been a very highly Latino populated area, half my friends are Latinos, and I don’t ever have thoughts about Latinos being any different then any other person I see, or interact with, in the last few years they have officially taken over as the majority in the area, and soon white people are going to start trying to take advantage of any law, or policy that gives a minority an extra advantage at getting a job.  So stupid I just don’t get why we as Americans can’t just look at each other as Americans regardless of race, ethnicity, ect. get away from the Latin American, African American, Italian American, Irish American, Asian American ect. labels, and lets just all be AMERICAN!  This isn’t political, you don’t need politics to unite as a nation, and be proud to call yourself American, I understand why some are not in this day, and age, but hopefully soon we can get past all that, stop fighting between races, and come together as Americans.

Sorry for rant that may not be suitable for the board, but figured this was a place to post it after the few posts that bordered on crossing the line.

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I hate to say it but I think you’re right. I left practice yesterday feeling not so great about the team. I think our receivers had an off day but for this team to succeed they have to be able to stay spread on offense and on defense I don’t think we’ve solved anything in the same positions we’ve struggled for years. 

I only saw one practice but for the first time all offseason I felt the SOJ creep.

1. It's a practice - 8 days from the beginning of TC

2. Bowles said they wanted to give the young guys alot of work

3. McCown played 1 series

4. The below didn't practice

Following #Jets appear to not be practicing: - Enunwa - Pryor - Beachum - Maye - McLendon - Leggett - Peake - Golson - Simon - Pierre-Louis - Rodgers - Clark - Nickerson - Miles (PUP)

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

You have to also remember these ARE practices. They’re moving guys all over the place, finding what works best. 

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

We're pretty thin with our depth at G and T and that, to me, is the biggest concern.

Spence is meh...Winters is already a turnstile good for a sack a game.

Garcia experiment appears to be a fail in the making....  

40 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

After reading through all the posts, all I have to say is that a "jk"  woulda been perfect way to avoid any and all rxns to your post- puto.  jk

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

At the start of camp I thought this was a 7-9 team, but now it feels like a 4-12 team. The interior OL seems to be a series of turnstiles (which was a problem last year) and the speed at OLB is still non-competitive. The stars of camp have been literally anyone who lines up at DT, Trenton Cannon, and the new TE, which indicates, again, that the middle of the field is open for business for opposing offenses, and any RB who runs a sub 4.7/40 is going to win on the edge. These are bad, bad things and fundamental problems that are impossible to overcome. Add to that the offense has been penalty-prone throughout camp and you have a disaster awaiting. 

Good we need a high pick on offense LT or WR or a pass rusher anyway .. 

this season is all about developing our young guys anyway particularly the QB.. 

Archived