"Make Football Violent Again" statement from Vikings player on new helmet rules

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He’s right At this pace, we’ll be watching flag football within 20 years. Well, I won’t. But you mooks will.

leather helmets and all this goes away.

CTE is going to kill the game. Let's just hope the Jets win the Super Bowl before it does.

17 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Probably one of the dumber things any player has done recently. Wouldn’t surprise me if a tight end or wide receiver goes to lay him out in a preemptive type of hit.

I don't know.  I don't think anyone is going to take it as he's proposing more head-hunting or violent hits on WRs or TEs.  In fact, the helmet rule is going to make things very hard on offensive players, especially RBs in my opinion.  They're the ones now being told that they can't lower their heads when running into traffic or about to be tackled head-on.  While his statement might seem a little outlandish I think the point is simply that this game is really starting to trend in a soft direction that could really make the game unrecognizable in a few years.  I'd put the odds at 50% that we never see a kickoff again starting by the 2020 season.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Just now, jetstream23 said:

I don't know.  I don't think anyone is going to take as he's proposing more head-hunting or violent hits on WRs or TEs.  In fact, the helmet rule is going to make things very hard on offensive players, especially RBs in my opinion.  They're the ones now being told that they can't lower their heads when running into traffic or about to be tackled head-on.  While his statement might seem a little outlandish I think the point is simply that this game is really starting to trend in a soft direction that could really make the game unrecognizable in a few years.  I'd put the odds at 50% that we never see a kickoff again starting by the 2020 season.

My point is more that if an offensive player feels like this guy is gonna try to make a point about being a violent “old-school” then it’s better to be the aggressor than the victim. This preseason is gonna be brutal as the referees try and figure out this new rule but the season will be less drastic (unless you’re playing the Patriots).

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't know.  I don't think anyone is going to take as he's proposing more head-hunting or violent hits on WRs or TEs.  In fact, the helmet rule is going to make things very hard on offensive players, especially RBs in my opinion.  They're the ones now being told that they can't lower their heads when running into traffic or about to be tackled head-on.  While his statement might seem a little outlandish I think the point is simply that this game is really starting to trend in a soft direction that could really make the game unrecognizable in a few years.  I'd put the odds at 50% that we never see a kickoff again starting by the 2020 season.

The only problem is that they will never call it on a running back or TE.  

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, shawn306 said:

The only problem is that they will never call it on a running back or TE.  

That will be very interesting to watch.  I'm sure they'll look back at this after the season and examine the breakdown....Was it 80% / 20% between Defense / Offense or more like 60% / 40% ?  This definitely seems like a rule that will tweaked a little in future years.

Those pounding the table for more violence in football obviously don’t have kids who play the game.  They’ve made dramatic changes to HS on down to youth level the last couple years, I’m all for it.  It’s all shoulder tackling and hand blocking, can’t square up and lay someone out with your upper body anymore.  Spoke to a long time HS official earlier this week.  He’s expecting the 3 point stance to be eliminated in a couple years, same with kickoffs.  Good chance punts are turned into free kicks at some point as well. 

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

CTE is going to kill the game. Let's just hope the Jets win the Super Bowl before it does.

Sadly I can't argue with this. So many parents are refusing to let their kids play football that sooner or later it will die.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, HessStation said:

It’s already over. But like crack you’re all hooked by the balls.

Probably true.  Slow incremental change will keep most people from recognizing that dramatic changes take place over a period of 10 years or so.

I want studies done of soccer players ... Maybe they should ban heading the ball.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
Those pounding the table for more violence in football obviously don’t have kids who play the game.  They’ve made dramatic changes to HS on down to youth level the last couple years, I’m all for it.  It’s all shoulder tackling and hand blocking, can’t square up and lay someone out with your upper body anymore.  Spoke to a long time HS official earlier this week.  He’s expecting the 3 point stance to be eliminated in a couple years, same with kickoffs.  Good chance punts are turned into free kicks at some point as well. 

Just kill the game then. Or call it something else ... Should definitely outlaw the UFC and professional boxing and NASCAR and Surfing and Hockey and Rugby and ...

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I want studies done of soccer players ... Maybe they should ban heading the ball.

They have at youth levels because older soccer players were having concussion-related issues.

This sucks.  
I remember making the decision to switch from soccer to football in high school.  
The violence aspect was a big consideration.  It's something myself and others chose to do.
I can understand removing things like head hunting, but this is just sad.  No one forced people to play the game.
I wonder if it's a result of the "anyone should be able to do anything' mentality ... I dunno

• Upvote 1
They have at youth levels because older soccer players were having concussion-related issues.
Wasn't talking about youth ... I don't mind youth rules being dramatic Ally different .. but high school and above ... We need some common sense. Obviously spearing and maliciius defenseless hits should not be part of the game at any level. But this new rule ... Just kill the NFL.

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I wonder if it's a result of the "anyone should be able to do anything' mentality ... I dunno

Definitely seems like it's part of it. 

We also can't deny the pussification of millenials.  Pretty sure they're injecting estrogen into the water.

• Upvote 2
He’s right

At this pace, we’ll be watching flag football within 20 years.

Well, I won’t. But you mooks will.

Best part it that some guy will be making $35m a year playing that flag football ... And a tons of schmucks will be willing to pay to see it .. it pretty funny when you think about it ...

I keep wondering if a new league started with the old rules if it would eventually be more popular ... Less of a talent pool ... More dangerous ... But ultimately more pure and fun to watch ... There will always be enough maniacs willing to play for millions.

• Upvote 1

Problem is kids aren’t playing and parents aren’t letting them.  Youth clubs are folding, HS teams aren’t fielding varsity squads, just playing JV schedules, or vice versa.  There is a general attitude that something needs to be done to bring people back into the fray.  Other rules being debated are eliminating blitzes, stunts, and pulling, and leaving the center uncovered.  The game is changing, and making it less physical is going to favor those offensive playmakers even more.  

Problem is kids aren’t playing and parents aren’t letting them.  Youth clubs are folding, HS teams aren’t fielding varsity squads, just playing JV schedules, or vice versa.  There is a general attitude that something needs to be done to bring people back into the fray.  Other rules being debated are eliminating blitzes, stunts, and pulling, and leaving the center uncovered.  The game is changing, and making it less physical is going to favor those offensive playmakers even more.  
Seriously just shoot it and put it down. It's just not football anymore.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Ugh...  at least we got to experience the game when it was still great.

27 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

This sucks.  

I remember making the decision to switch from soccer to football in high school.  

The violence aspect was a big consideration.  It's something myself and others chose to do.

I can understand removing things like head hunting, but this is just sad.  No one forced people to play the game.

but i would think your parents wouldn't let you do it if they knew the risks involved.

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I keep wondering if a new league started with the old rules if it would eventually be more popular ... Less of a talent pool ... More dangerous ... But ultimately more pure and fun to watch ... There will always be enough maniacs willing to play for millions.

you think something like this would be able to survive?  

27 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

They’ve also done studies at higher levels. Conclusion, women are more prone to concussions than men. Scientist believe the difference is due neck size and men being able to stabilize their heads better. 

I don’t ever see soccer banning headers, but...

14 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

but i would think your parents wouldn't let you do it if they knew the risks involved.

It's why i had to wait until HS.  My mother was one of those overprotective types.  An RN to make matters worse.

Anyone who didn't know brain damage could occur bashing your head around didn't really have much to lose anyway.  Those first few times you take hits are a rude awakening.  It's your choice whether you continue or not.

Or at least it used to be a choice.

You know what would solve a lot of these problems? If the league was run by someone who’s not an absolute moron, capable of not letting every little controversy turn into a years-long five-alarm fire.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know what would solve a lot of these problems? If the league was run by someone who’s not an absolute moron, capable of not letting every little controversy turn into a years-long five-alarm fire.

Yep... player safety is important and making changes that encourage players to do better in terms of protecting themselves and others is great BUT it’s dumb to make an inorganic, forced and blatantly rushed change that impacts the appearance of the onfield product.