"Make Football Violent Again" statement from Vikings player on new helmet rules

jetstream23

28 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Problem is kids aren’t playing and parents aren’t letting them.  Youth clubs are folding, HS teams aren’t fielding varsity squads, just playing JV schedules, or vice versa.  There is a general attitude that something needs to be done to bring people back into the fray.  Other rules being debated are eliminating blitzes, stunts, and pulling, and leaving the center uncovered.  The game is changing, and making it less physical is going to favor those offensive playmakers even more.  

This is way more prevalent in the tri-state than it is in the south and midwest. It’s still wildly popular in the areas that have traditionally produced the most talent.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

It's why i had to wait until HS.  My mother was one of those overprotective types.  An RN to make matters worse.

Anyone who didn't know brain damage could occur bashing your head around didn't really have much to lose anyway.  Those first few times you take hits are a rude awakening.  It's your choice whether you continue or not.

Or at least it used to be a choice.

a kid in a similar situation as you today probably doesn't get to play.

of course there will still be people willing to do it but i think the middle class and up won't do it and the better athletes might start playing higher paying sports with less long term risk  (basketball, baseball). 

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This is way more prevalent in the tri-state than it is in the south and midwest. It’s still wildly popular in the areas that have traditionally produced the most talent.

Agreed, but the issue with that, from the NFL prospective, is they don’t want a regionalized sport.  If kids aren’t playing football, I would think they’re a little less likely to become hard core fans.      Also the NFL can’t depend on Texas and the South to fulfill its talent pool.  States like CA, NJ, PA, IL produce a lot of NFL talent and participation is on the decline in those parts of the country.

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

does this change as the guys who played in the 90s start having problems earlier and earlier in life?

2 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Agreed, but the issue with that, from the NFL prospective, is they don’t want a regionalized sport.  If kids aren’t playing football, I would think they’re a little less likely to become hard core fans.      Also the NFL can’t depend on Texas and the South to fulfill its talent pool.  States like CA, NJ, PA, IL produce a lot of NFL talent and participation is on the decline in those parts of the country.

It’s always been regionalized in terms of the talent pipeline.

Participation nationally among kids ages 6-12 has fallen by nearly 30 percent between 2008 and 2016

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Every sport unfortunately is suffering from this.

this is a fact that i did not realize until just now. 

i would have thought it's up but i guess not.  it's actually down pretty significantly.   people are saying it's the cost factor.

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

this is a fact that i did not realize until just now. 

i would have thought it's up but i guess not.  it's actually down pretty significantly.   people are saying it's the cost factor.

I don’t know what Fortnite is, but I’m blaming it on Fortnite.

9 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Change the rules for players under 18. Once you’re a legal adult make the player sign a document every year they choose to play saying they understand the health issues.

force players to wear the latest helmets 

Take the helmets off them, and they will stop using them as weapons

5 hours ago, batman10023 said:

of course there will still be people willing to do it but i think the middle class and up won't do it and the better athletes might start playing higher paying sports with less long term risk  (basketball, baseball). 

Makes sense.  Don't really see a problem with it.  Instead of high schools having four rosters (fresh/soph/jv/var) maybe just have two.  Or even one.

Hell, maybe only larger schools field teams.

Better than changing the sport completely.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Take the helmets off them, and they will stop using them as weapons

If helmets come off, I'd imagine cleats would have to as well.  I had plenty of cleat marks on helmets.

Heck, and hard surface would have to be removed.

Even with that you'd still have an increase in concussions.  Helemts help absord even hard ground hits.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

If helmets come off, I'd imagine cleats would have to as well.  I had plenty of cleat marks on helmets.

Heck, and hard surface would have to be removed.

Even with that you'd still have an increase in concussions.  Helemts help absord even hard ground hits.

Just go back to what they used to do.  Leather helmet, to avoid fractures, no face mask.

Guys just wouldn't be leading with their heads naturally.  Concussions would be down IMO

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

CTE is going to kill the game. Let's just hope the Jets win the Super Bowl before it does.

In a zero blind study that only studied Football players without a control group comparison and took no other factors into consideration, polite Doctor (played by Will Smith) says only Football gives you brain damage, and Football gives Brain Damage to 100% of players (studied).

SCIENCE!!!

LOL.

Sign a waiver. Play ball. 

It would not matter ... The athletes today are 10 times the athletes of the 70s ... I'd still pay any amount of money to watch 70s NFL

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Yep... player safety is important and making changes that encourage players to do better in terms of protecting themselves and others is great BUT it’s dumb to make an inorganic, forced and blatantly rushed change that impacts the appearance of the onfield product.

We are a knee jerk reaction society now but I would be the reason the NFL is being so proactive now is because they hid head trauma from the players for decades. Even if their sport declines its better than losing it all together (from a financial stand point).

I wish we could get rid of kickoffs, it’s such a joke of a play now, only reason it’s still in the game is to have another commercial break. NFL games just drag on nowadays because of the commercials/penalties there is definitely part of me that would prefer to watch soccer or hockey, and least there is no time stoppage.

Hostly I believe this is one of the main reason football's ratings are on the decline. Don't get me wrong no one wants to see any player get hurt but at the same time football being a very physical sport is what makes it fun. They change rules so often to make the game safe that people have trouble keeping up with them which makes the game confusing at times and hard to follow...heck even the refs can't keep up. The players know that they play a risky sport and they get paid pretty well to do so.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

17 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Best part it that some guy will be making $35m a year playing that flag football ... And a tons of schmucks will be willing to pay to see it .. it pretty funny when you think about it ...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My training starts NOW.

20 hours ago, GreenFish said:

They’ve also done studies at higher levels. Conclusion, women are more prone to concussions than men. Scientist believe the difference is due neck size and men being able to stabilize their heads better. 

I don’t ever see soccer banning headers, but...

The link between head trauma and ALS started to be made with Italian soccer players who were getting ALS at abnormally high rates.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/01/health/an-als-puzzle-on-the-soccer-field.html

They actually went back and looked at old sports reports from when Lou Gherig  played and saw how many times he had been knocked out (bean balls and collisions).

3 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Hostly I believe this is one of the main reason football's ratings are on the decline. Don't get me wrong no one wants to see any player get hurt but at the same time football being a very physical sport is what makes it fun. They change rules so often to make the game safe that people have trouble keeping up with them which makes the game confusing at times and hard to follow...heck even the refs can't keep up. The players know that they play a risky sport and they get paid pretty well to do so.

I was watching old LT videos on you tube awhile back and the difference in the game was really startling 

He kicked Jaworskis ass and there was no flag and no fight 

Everybody just went onto the next play 

Almost like they were playing tackle football for money 

I was watching old LT videos on you tube awhile back and the difference in the game was really startling 
He kicked Jaworskis ass and there was no flag and no fight 
Everybody just went onto the next play 
Almost like they were playing tackle football for money 
I mean the players sign contracts in those contracts somewhere I am sure there is something that says they understand they are playing a physical sport which could result in injury...the league shouldn't care what people think after that there will always be players willing to play and fans willing to watch. The people who want football to be 100% safe are not the ones who put money on the players tables (for the most part)

16 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I mean the players sign contracts in those contracts somewhere I am sure there is something that says they understand they are playing a physical sport which could result in injury...the league shouldn't care what people think after that there will always be players willing to play and fans willing to watch. The people who want football to be 100% safe are not the ones who put money on the players tables (for the most part)

Yeah there is something missing now guys go over the middle and don't have to pay for it 

Like you I don't mean injury, just a good hit 

I hope the new helmet rule doesn't ruin the game. 

We all know what spearing is and what hitting is 

Leave it to the NFL to make hitting a foul 

Yeah there is something missing now guys go over the middle and don't have to pay for it 
Like you I don't mean injury, just a good hit 
I hope the new helmet rule doesn't ruin the game. 
We all know what spearing is and what hitting is 
Leave it to the NFL to make hitting a foul 
Without those big loud hits that make you gasp what is left to watch in football...might as well just watch the offensive practice

Humans are so change averse. Every other species on this planet can adapt and evolve. Humans stomp their feet and demand things stay the same.

You all have no business being the top species on this planet. It is our time now...

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Humans are so change averse. Every other species on this planet can adapt and evolve. Humans stomp their feet and demand things stay the same.

You all have no business being the top species on this planet. It is our time now...

Thanks Cornelius ?

On 8/3/2018 at 5:03 PM, batman10023 said:

Participation nationally among kids ages 6-12 has fallen by nearly 30 percent between 2008 and 2016

It’s worse in this area. I have been a director for a large youth program in the tri-state area since 1999. In 2004 when my oldest boy was playing we had 800 boys playing tackle football. Last year when my youngest aged out we had less than 200 boys playing tackle football and 400 playing flag football. Parents don’t want their kids playing tackle football anymore because of all the CTE talk. That and other sports like baseball, basketball, soccer and lacrosse being played year long now.

Archived