OC Jeremy Bates notes... possibly risky hire?

RoadFan

Like most, I am excited about a young team and feel like the Jets finally, FINALLY, solved the QB problem.

However, a lot of the success we hope for depends on Jeremy Bates.  I just looked him up.  Did anybody know he was not coaching football from 2013-2016?  He took time away from the game.

A litte unusual in this line of work, especially at his young age and for that length of time...

He got back in just last season as a QB coach and now he is promoted to the Jets' OC? A position he held twice by the way.  Once with the Broncos in 2008... and once with the Seahawks in 2010... but he only lasted one season with each team.

Hard to know what and why the short stints but a little concerning nonetheless.

I like the idea of a young, supposedly  creative QB minded guy behind the offense...

But I sure hope Bowles, and Bates, know what the hell they're doing... because there is clearly some risk here.

Just now, RoadFan said:

Like most, I am excited about a young team and feel like the Jets finally, FINALLY, solved the QB problem.

However, a lot of the success we hope for depends on Jeremy Bates.  I just looked him up.  Did anybody know he was not coaching football from 2013-2016?  He took time away from the game.

A litte unusual in this line of work, especially at his young age for that length of time...

He got back in just last season as a QB coach and now he is promoted to the Jets' OC? A position he held twice by the way.  Once with the Broncos in 2008... and once with the Seahawks in 2010... but he only lasted one season with each team.

Hard to know what and why the short stints but not exactly encouraging.

I like the idea of a young, supposedly  creative QB minded guy behind the offense...

But I sure hope Bowles, and Bates, know what the hell they're doing... because there is clearly some risk here.

Thought everyone knew that. Don’t worry, Bowles and Mac and tied to Bates. They don’t get to pick another OC, they used all them up.

I saw that recently too. I thought it was interesting and it was voluntary apparently. Not sure it makes him a risk though. Sometimes people just need a break and if you can afford to do so it can give you a different perspective and new life as you move forward. Either way I'm hoping Darnold long out lasts a few OCs... All we need from Bates at this point is to provide Darnold with a solid base to work from this year.

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Thought everyone knew that. Don’t worry, Bowles and Mac and tied to Bates. They don’t get to pick another OC, they used all them up.

I didn't.  I saw a piece by a beat writer back in January about it while looking him up to see if it had been addressed.  I'm sure some knew.  I think this will be something new to many also.

This is truly old news......in fact many many posters have argued about why he was out of the game so long, the fact that he didnt have those positions very long. In fact that tidbit has been talked about in so many threads that I am shocked that you havent heard this mentioned before. 

22 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

A litte unusual in this line of work, especially at his young age and for that length of time...

Hard to know what and why the short stints but a little concerning nonetheless.

He got fired along with the rest of the coaching staff in Denver.  Not a big deal.  McDaniels came in and wasn't keeping him.

Cutler looked great under Bates, though.  The Broncos even got a first round pick for him.

30 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

This is truly old news......in fact many many posters have argued about why he was out of the game so long, the fact that he didnt have those positions very long. In fact that tidbit has been talked about in so many threads that I am shocked that you havent heard this mentioned before. 

I am on this board all the time.  I don't know how I missed it.  My bad rehashing something that has been worn out...

11 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I am on this board all the time.  I don't know how I missed it.  My bad rehashing something that has been worn out...

Do a search. A few articles posted here. He and Dennison worked together in Denver with the same setup as here. Bates OC (without the true title), called plays. Dennison was run game coordinator. 

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

penguin is right.  At the time he was hired there were several threads about his walk through the mountains.  T0m mentions it frequently.

Yes, Bates is a risky hire.  If he were a draft pick he would be a boom or bust guy.  Pro-Bowl or out of the league.   

No question Bates is a smart guy, with a good grasp of how to run an O.   It also seems he has a difficult time playing well with others.  Perhaps his 4 year walk in the hills has settled him down.  So far it all seems good.........We'll see

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

He got fired along with the rest of the coaching staff in Denver.  Not a big deal.  McDaniels came in and wasn't keeping him.

Cutler looked great under Bates, though.  The Broncos even got a first round pick for him.

I believe they got 2 number 1's for Cutler.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I believe they got 2 number 1's for Cutler.

WOW ! For Cutler ? Jay Cutler ? The whiny little beatch who cried and stamped his feet and wouldn't return the owners phone calls after  Denver drafted Tim Tebow ?

This is JMO.

The Jets are in a fairly involved situation.    They took a gamble on Bates as OC.  They are going without a QB coach.  Bates is going to do a double role here as QB coach to a VERY young, inexperienced, and talented QB, while being the play calling  OC.   That's a big job.  The Jets future really depends on Bates doing his job well.

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

This is JMO.

The Jets are in a fairly involved situation.    They took a gamble on Bates as OC.  They are going without a QB coach.  Bates is going to do a double role here as QB coach to a VERY young, inexperienced, and talented QB, while being the play calling  OC.   That's a big job.  The Jets future really depends on Bates doing his job well.

very true.......this is why i think they are grooming mcclown to be the qb coach next year. No sense in hiring someone new when you have someone already familiar with the system, the staff and the qb's

Any guy who needs 3 years to exorcize his demons is a risk, but he was here last year and didn't flake out 

Add to that the fact that he had been reunited with Rick Dennison to share playcalling like they did for Shanahan and I'm ok with him 

2 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

very true.......this is why i think they are grooming mcclown to be the qb coach next year. No sense in hiring someone new when you have someone already familiar with the system, the staff and the qb's

I mostly agree with this, but I don't think it will be next year.  IMO McCown is going to be the $5 M back up QB next season, (takes a lot of stress off Bates) and if things are going well, the QB coach in 20.

As far as calling him "Mcclown" goes, he may have a very significant role in the Jets future.  I'm actually pretty good with it. 

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Any guy who needs 3 years to exorcize his demons is a risk, but he was here last year and didn't flake out 

Add to that the fact that he had been reunited with Rick Dennison to share playcalling like they did for Shanahan and I'm ok with him 

Rick Dennison being around again will keep him engaged and focused...plus who doesn’t want to help mold a guy like Sam Darnold. He has been given the best piece of clay to shape. He’s in a great situation from a personal standpoint.

1 hour ago, SayNoToDMC said:

We should have gutted the coaching staff last year, or the year before. I'm more worried about Sleepy Todd promising a more hands on approach with offense

Right ? Remember feeling same way when Rex said that. He Thought tony sparano would take them to Super Bowl Lol. We are going to run a ton more this yr, and every team knows it. Bowles fired the OC who did pretty dam good with what he had, because he passed too much.

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I didn't.  I saw a piece by a beat writer back in January about it while looking him up to see if it had been addressed.  I'm sure some knew.  I think this will be something new to many also.

It's basically in every article I've seen about him since we promoted him haha

9 hours ago, flgreen said:

This is JMO.

Saying no QB coach feels like a stretch to me even though technically that is true. I’d bet my bottom dollar that we did not sign a QB coach because our plan is to have McCown take that over. By having McCown as a player he is able to talk to Sam when the actual coaching staff can’t be working with players. 

9 hours ago, flgreen said:

This is JMO.

That’s what happens when you’re on your third OC in three years because the whole staff is awful. No OC worth a lick was coming to a team with TB as coach and no QB. 

10 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Should have kept Morton, but I love a good conservative game just as much as the next guy. 

Nothing about him says conservative game plan.  He scripted the opening drives for Morton a year ago.  Our best offense happened early

10 hours ago, flgreen said:

If he were a draft pick he would be a boom or bust guy.  Pro-Bowl or out of the league.   

He’d be a UDFA guy that was working in a supermarket but got picked up because some low-level scout remembered him returning a kickoff in the Chik-Fil-A Bowl two years ago. 

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He’d be a UDFA guy that was working in a supermarket but got picked up because some low-level scout remembered him returning a kickoff in the Chik-Fil-A Bowl two years ago. 

Is there any single thing about the Jets that you like?  Anything?

12 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I know it was discussed on this site last year when the hre was announced.  I agree it was concerning at the time. Now, not so sure.  They have had him for a year and dumped their OC to promote him.

Archived