OC Jeremy Bates notes... possibly risky hire?

RoadFan

11 hours ago, flgreen said:

This is JMO.

The Jets are in a fairly involved situation.    They took a gamble on Bates as OC.  They are going without a QB coach.  Bates is going to do a double role here as QB coach to a VERY young, inexperienced, and talented QB, while being the play calling  OC.   That's a big job.  The Jets future really depends on Bates doing his job well.

Not a huge risk. 

He was on the staff last year, so everyone is familiar with each other and how they work. Obviously, they thought very highly of Bates promoting him after just one year. 

The Jets offensive coaching structure is unusual but favors Bates doubling as QB coach. Dennison has the OL and the running game, Bates has the passing game. I like the idea of Darnold working directly with the OC/QB coach over having a middle-man. It involves the QB more. When Tom Brady first got the starting job in NE, Belichick took on the QB coaching responsibilities. Ideally, the head coach would be capable of being more hands-on with the QB here, but we know that's unlikely to happen. 

14 hours ago, flgreen said:

I mostly agree with this, but I don't think it will be next year.  IMO McCown is going to be the $5 M back up QB next season, (takes a lot of stress off Bates) and if things are going well, the QB coach in 20.

As far as calling him "Mcclown" goes, he may have a very significant role in the Jets future.  I'm actually pretty good with it. 

lol you might be right..and I have been calling him mcclown for years.just an old habit, nothing to do with his role here now. 

14 hours ago, flgreen said:

I mostly agree with this, but I don't think it will be next year.  IMO McCown is going to be the $5 M back up QB next season, (takes a lot of stress off Bates) and if things are going well, the QB coach in 20.

As far as calling him "Mcclown" goes, he may have a very significant role in the Jets future.  I'm actually pretty good with it. 

Now that i think about it if he does a good job someone else might pay him 8-10 mil to be their defacto starter/backup/qb coach next year. With the salaries going up every year and this being a copy cat league he might very well carve out a little niche for himself.

The history was discussed briefly when he was hired last year and while it is a risk I think there are more chapters to this story that are worth discussing - I remember reading the Jets really liked him since he was the prototypical new coach in a copycat league, young creative NFL offense thought process, passionate overachiever, etc... Mike Shanahan saw it too and had him calling plays early in his career, sounds like Bates got burned out or bored and took a break - not a bad thing if he is back in the game and confirmed what he wants...

I think retaining Bates and challenging him in his career is the real reason Morton was one and done (Morton did a very good job IMHO, maybe just wrong place and time)

I would have thought John DeFilippo would have been Tood's choice so this feels like a corporate move, they also hired Rick Dennison for support, giving him a solid chance to succeed and we will see how it goes

If the offense looks good, Sam develops and has a good relationship with Bates and the team is not winning games it could get very interesting, especially if the defense continues to underachieve, Todd and Kacy are linked at the hip, have the tools needed for a good defense, right? 

If the Jets have a losing record, improving offense, and middling defense at the break; I would not be surprised if Bates was announced as the interim HC - and you thought the QB competition was interesting :)

Archived