Protecting Darnold

JetFreak89

Like most here, I'm sure, I'd like to see Darnold and Bridgewater get the lion's share of preseason snaps. The question becomes how can we do that while not exposing Darnold to unnecessary risk. I really don't want to pull a Rex and put him behind our second and third string lines for an extended period of time. It would be so jetsy for him to have a great camp and PS only to suffer a long term injury thanks to future Fed Ex carriers.

If I'm Bowles, I play my starting OL more than usual (side benefit is they should pick up the new zone blocking scheme quicker) though I'm not sure they would be too happy about that. What do you all think?

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Lots of runs and roll outs lol

Darnold will be in with the 2nd and 3rd teamers, I think bates will call it based on how the line is holding up 

To be honest my goal for Sam in the first game is no turnovers and stay healthy 

If Canon gets 8 runs fine with me 

10 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I wouldn’t let Darnold touch a 4th quarter this preseason. Let Teddy get those snaps. Hell let him play the whole 4th game. 

We haven’t seen Bowles show any indication of developing a young QB.  

I don’t know what to expect but Bowles doesn’t make me feel good about what we should do with the QB position. 

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I don’t know what to expect but Bowles doesn’t make me feel good about what we should do with the QB position. 

Bowles doesn’t develop the QBs. And he also never had a young qb as talented as Darnold. So. 

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

Like most here, I'm sure, I'd like to see Darnold and Bridgewater get the lion's share of preseason snaps. The question becomes how can we do that while not exposing Darnold to unnecessary risk. I really don't want to pull a Rex and put him behind our second and third string lines for an extended period of time. It would be so jetsy for him to have a great camp and PS only to suffer a long term injury thanks to future Fed Ex carrie

I certainly understand your point but I'm not sure he is at any greater risk whichever string he plays on.  The first string OL plays against the other team's first string defense where there is likely to be a skilled pass rusher while the 2nd string OL and 3rd string OL plays against their scrub counterparts who are at the same level.  Unless you are gonna put our first team up against 2nd and 3rd string players in the pre season I think the risk is the same whenever he plays.

32 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Bowles doesn’t develop the QBs. And he also never had a young qb as talented as Darnold. So. 

He is the HC.... he absolutely is responsible for the development of QBs.  

Yes.. he has NEVER had a talent like Darnold.  Accordingly, I have no evidence to tell me he knows what he is doing.  But his stubborn approach to his way , in my view, allows me to be skeptical. 

I certainly understand your point but I'm not sure he is at any greater risk whichever string he plays on.  The first string OL plays against the other team's first string defense where there is likely to be a skilled pass rusher while the 2nd string OL and 3rd string OL plays against their scrub counterparts who are at the same level.  Unless you are gonna put our first team up against 2nd and 3rd string players in the pre season I think the risk is the same whenever he plays.

Agreed and that is exactly what I’m saying, first string OL vs other teams’ backups. Even from our G&W scrimmage it seems our second string OL didn’t hold up very well. I’d even settle for a mix of first and second string OL players in PS.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

50 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

that's sort of fair.  has bowles had a qb worth developing yet? petty just wasn't any good and neither was hack.  right now it looks like darnold and even bridgewater are getting the attention they need.

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

that's sort of fair.  has bowles had a qb worth developing yet? petty just wasn't any good and neither was hack.  right now it looks like darnold and even bridgewater are getting the attention they need.

Agreed.   I got hammered here but I would LOVE to see Teddy light it up and make it hard to put Darnold in.  let Darnold learn from the sidelines , even if it takes til 2019.

Then Darnold becomes our QB for 10 years plus.  

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Why do fans repeat this?  Which QB did you see Bowles get that he should have developed and didn't?  You think Petty and/or Hack have the talent to play in the league and Bowles held back their development.

Do you actually believe that it's Bowles job, that he works with the QBs and the one helping QBs?  Why did Fitz and McCown, two long time QBs have their best seasons in this system but those scrubs couldn't even improve in the same system?  Think they just sucked?  

Doesnt mean he can, but sure doesn't mean he won't. 

3 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

If we are scared of him getting hurt in preseason training how can we trust him against nfl starters in a real game

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Exactly.

Plus have we had a rash of QBs being injured when the scrubs are in?  Their scrubs, its that way with every NFL.  Protection will break down with the backups in

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why do fans repeat this?  Which QB did you see Bowles get that he should have developed and didn't?  You think Petty and/or Hack have the talent to play in the league and Bowles held back their development.

Do you actually believe that it's Bowles job, that he works with the QBs and the one helping QBs?  Why did Fitz and McCown, two long time QBs have their best seasons in this system but those scrubs couldn't even improve in the same system?  Think they just sucked?  

Doesnt mean he can, but sure doesn't mean he won't. 

If you read what I wrote, I stated fact. We haven't seen any indication he can develop a young QB.  Why ?  Because we haven't. Whatever the reason.

Fitz and McCown BOTH shlt the bed when it counted as they have for 15 years.  Bowles had NOTHING to do with it.

I simply don't see anything in Bowles that tells me he is good for a young QB.  He comes from the Parcells tree?

Parcells ever develop a  rookie QB?. Took him forever to bring in Romo. 

Time for Bowles to take responsibility for this team.  He has singlehandedly lost at least 1-2 games each year with poor decisions. You want to defend him? Go ahead.  Ill wait til he deserves it.

But don't act like I am baseless in my skepticism. He has earned OUR skepticism.

Just now, southparkcpa said:

If you read what I wrote, I stated fact. We haven't seen any indication he can develop a young QB.  Why ?  Because we haven't. Whatever the reason.

Fitz and McCown BOTH shlt the bed when it counted as they have for 15 years.  Bowles had NOTHING to do with it.

I simply don't see anything in Bowles that tells me he is good for a young QB.  He comes from the Parcells tree?

Parcells ever develop a  rookie QB?. Took him forever to bring in Romo. 

Time for Bowles to take responsibility for this team.  He has singlehandedly lost at least 1-2 games each year with poor decisions. You want to defend him? Go ahead.  Ill wait til he deserves it.

But don't act like I am baseless in my skepticism. He has earned OUR skepticism.

And I agreed, he hasn't.  But what I also said is who didn't he develop, who lack of development false on Bowles?  Who should have developed, would have developed elsewhere.  

Why is it that two long time vets, with long track records had their best years here.  Not like he's run a offense that a QB can't be productive in.  You can say they sh*t the bed but each was a top third of the league QB 

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Lots of runs and roll outs lol

Darnold will be in with the 2nd and 3rd teamers, I think bates will call it based on how the line is holding up 

To be honest my goal for Sam in the first game is no turnovers and stay healthy 

If Canon gets 8 runs fine with me 

He shouldnt be. He has already done enough in my view to win the starting job. Play him with the ones exclusively in preseason games. Give him every single first team snap in practice and most of the 2s and 3s. Do everything you can to get him as ready as possible as safely as possible. Right now, after the reports from the scrimmage he already looks better than Bridgewater, not much different than McCown and he can simply consistently make plays the others cant, and because of his evasiveness and roll out capability he is actually the QB best suited to play well behind our O. Stop the charade, there is like a 99% probability he starts game one already, so just do it. If he plays like Hack in preseason games, maybe you take a step back, but if he is getting all the reps that is unlikely.

And for those like Warfish eager to reply with a "he needs to earn it" post, what does that mean? Should an elite QB prospect be expected to play better than a 10+ year veteran by game 1? Seems silly. For him to earn it all he needs to show is understanding of the offense, command of the huddle, understand the playbook and adjustments, show he can make plays, and that the stage is not too big for him. He has done that already pretty much. ALLOW him to succeed. He will be better than McCown by mid-season anyway, and will likely be better the first time he steps on the field

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And I agreed, he hasn't.  But what I also said is who didn't he develop, who lack of development false on Bowles?  Who should have developed, would have developed elsewhere.  

Why is it that two long time vets, with long track records had their best years here.  Not like he's run a offense that a QB can't be productive in.  You can say they sh*t the bed but each was a top third of the league QB 

That has nothing to do with developing a QB.   I get your point but the fact that 2 playoffless journeymen had one good year here does not mean anything to me.  

FItz went 5 and 0 in Buffalo one year and collapsed.  He is fools gold. 

43 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

That has nothing to do with developing a QB.   I get your point but the fact that 2 playoffless journeymen had one good year here does not mean anything to me.  

FItz went 5 and 0 in Buffalo one year and collapsed.  He is fools gold. 

Better than your point of fact that has no basis on fact.  Just the garden variety hes a defensive coach therefore cant develop a QB or the two kids he had, a 4th round project to hopefully become a backup and a 2nd round reach didnt develop means something.  Those two journeyman put two good years in the three hes coached.  Should mean a little something about the offense.  Fitz being an failure before playing well here isnt a slight on the Jets

Again, its not even his place to work closely with developing a QB.  That falls on the staff. 

Archived