OT: Sunday Night Baseball Crew

Jet9

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

you've been pushing this narrative for awhile now, and it's still not true

3 and a half hours filled with long pauses between pitches... long pauses between innings... conferences on the mound... pickoff attempts... etc... the game never has a sense of urgency against the clock.  Only against what inning it is, which never changes the pace. The game is so damn boring, with so much "dead time," the guys that announce it on television and radio have to constantly talk about other random sh*t just to fill the space.  Shall I go on? I have plenty more...

Rinse. Repeat.  162 times.  

It sucks. 

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

3 and a half hours filled with long pauses between pitches... long pauses between innings... conferences on the mound... pickoff attempts... pauses between innings... the game never has a sense of urgency against the clock.  Only against what inning it is which never changes the pace.  The game is so damn boring, with so much "dead time," the guys that announce it on television and radio have to constantly talk about other random sh*t just to fill the space.  Shall I go on? I have plenty more...

It sucks. 

3 1/2 hrs. ? Game started at 8:05. I think someone needs a new watch.

Just now, Thai Jet said:

If you don't watch then WhyTF do you care ? I'm confused.

Because I enjoy listening to sports radio and watching sports related shows.  And they waste WAY too much time discussing a dying sport instead of forward thinking.  Millenials are far more interested in fringe sports and European football than baseball.   And these 50 something white guys that run the stations better wake the f*ck up soon.

I think it sucks, but I am not advocating to kill baseball.   But it is not an American treasure anymore... and I don't want to hear about it like it is.

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Because I enjoy listening to sports radio and watching sports related shows.  And they waste WAY too much time discussing a dying sport instead of forward thinking.  Millenials are far more interested in fringe sports and European football than baseball.   And these 50 something white guys that run the stations better wake the f*ck up soon.

I think it sucks, but I am not advocating to kill baseball.   But it is not an American treasure anymore... and I don't want to hear about it like it is.

Break down and get cable. That way you'll have tons of other channels to watch which are sports related.

24 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

3 and a half hours filled with long pauses between pitches... long pauses between innings... conferences on the mound... pickoff attempts... etc... the game never has a sense of urgency against the clock.  Only against what inning it is, which never changes the pace. The game is so damn boring, with so much "dead time," the guys that announce it on television and radio have to constantly talk about other random sh*t just to fill the space.  Shall I go on? I have plenty more...

It sucks. 

To be fair, I'm pretty sure your average football game on TV has 12 minutes of actual play.

Someone confirm or light me up on that one, please. 

1 minute ago, Jet9 said:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure your average football game on TV has 12 minutes of actual play.

That's exactly why I never watch recorded games. Did it once. Thought I would just fast forward between commercials. But I found myself fast forwarding between snaps. Wasn't much left to watch.  

13 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Break down and get cable. That way you'll have tons of other channels to watch which are sports related.

Im originally from North Jersey, plus 10 years in BK. I live on the beach in Alabama now. I do the Hulu version of cable (Plenty of live sports channels), plus I buy the MLB and NHL packages. works for me for NY sports. TV antenna gets me the big network stuff if I need it. My job  (bar/restaurant) has Sunday Ticket too. 

Baseball is a beautiful sport. I always equate it with my father. Spent some amazing moments with him driving to games, talking about sports and life. I guess you can equate this to any sport, but I always liked the fact that in between pitches you could talk about strategy and what you think should happen next. 

9 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

You have a point. 

It also has 2 minute drills.  Momentum changing turnovers.   And something interesting actually happens on almost every snap.  Whereas nothing happens on most pitches. 

Compare the tension of a typical 3rd and 8 to a typical full count? Which one are you holding that piss in a little longer for?  Yeah... that's what I thought.

Just now, RoadFan said:

You have a point. 

It also has 2 minute drills.  Momentum changing turnovers.   And something interesting actually happens on almost every snap.  Whereas nothing happens on most pitches. 

Compare the tension of a typical 3rd and 8 to a typical full count?  Yeah... that's what I thought.

Sorry, gotta disagree.

2 on, 1 out, in a tie or close game in any inning...EVERY pitch matters. Later innings with NOBODY on the count matters, maybe even more. Hockey is my #1, but I won't trash baseball or football. I do realize that they're both not for everyone though. Baseball also has the caveat of no clock. Either get it done or keep going. No other sport has that. 

28 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Probably a subject for another thread, but most sports are going to see an uptick in participation over football with all these head injury issues. 

44 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

It sucks. 

Ever hear the quote “Baseball is dull only to dull minds”? But to each ones own, I just don’t think it’s adequate to respond to anything Baseball related with it sucks the end 

22 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

You have a point. 

Compare the tension of a typical 3rd and 8 to a typical full count? Which one are you holding that piss in a little longer for?  Yeah... that's what I thought.

That is the most ridiculous synopsis of baseball I've possibly ever read.  Nothing happens on most pitches?  Something literally happens on every single pitch.  That's the beauty of the sport.  Every single pitch is an individual physical and mental matchup between 2 people.

If you think a 1st quarter 3rd and 8 from your own 27 yard line is tense, then you are a scmuck.

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Who are they?  I'm not watching.  If it's Jessica Mendoza, you are wrong.  Plain and Simple.

Yeah, she's the 3rd (why?) in the booth, there's an on the field guy too (Buster Olney, maybe?). Sorry, but she has ESPN-itis that Gruden had where it's their job to fill every second of air time with blah blah blah. I don't think she's a dummy. However, I DO think she's a soldier from ESPN who can't watch a ******* ball game of any kind without shutting the **** up for 2 seconds. Then again, I mute my random ass Madden games I play and listen to tunes, so what do I know. 

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I’m into the game, but I don’t think this crew is very good. Yes, she is one of them. 

She's as good as a color person as you'll find in my opinion.

Would Yankee fans rather listen to the guy who has all the nicknames and dopey homerun calls?

I will agree, A-Rod does not have the knack for it, but his insights are good. Just can't deliver them well.

16 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Ever hear the quote “Baseball is dull only to dull minds”? But to each ones own, I just don’t think it’s adequate to respond to anything Baseball related with it sucks the end 

I know baseball quite well.  Played for many years, up through JV.  It is simply unwatchable as an entertainment product...

And yet it is baseball guy that often calls the other kind of "football" dull.  That is where part of my animosity towards baseball stems from. 

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

She's as good as a color person as you'll find in my opinion.

Would Yankee fans rather listen to the good who has all the nicknames and dopey homerun calls?

I'm a Yankee fan and, sorry, I find Sterling to be kind of a jackass. I know he's old, yadda yadda yadda. That said, filling every second of air time with talk makes one sound uninformed and/or redundant more often than not. "The more RBI's he hits the better for the team, like the number of walks you said". I just made that up, but I'm sure it's been said. 

Ever hear Vin Scully by himself? That's the model IMO. Not saying every game in sports should have one person, but Quality > Quantity ever mother****ing time. It's how I run my restaurants too, lol. 

Just now, Jet9 said:

I'm a Yankee fan and, sorry, I find Sterling to be kind of a jackass. I know he's old, yadda yadda yadda. That said, filling every second of air time with talk makes one sound uninformed and/or redundant more often than not. "The more RBI's he hits the better for the team, like the number of walks you said". I just made that up, but I'm sure it's been said. 

Ever hear Vin Scully by himself? That's the model IMO. Not saying every game in sports should have one person, but Quality > Quantity ever mother****ing time. It's how I run my restaurants too, lol. 

I'm a Dodgers fan.  I was lucky enough to listen to Vin for basically the last decade.  I 100% agree he's the gold standard.  I do not agree on your account of how he did games though.  Vin would let the big moments carry themselves, but during the meat and potatoes of a given game, he was always talking, always telling a story, even if only loosely related to the events at the exact moment.

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm a Dodgers fan.  I was lucky enough to listen to Vin for basically the last decade.  I 100% agree he's the gold standard.  I do not agree on your account of how he did games though.  Vin would let the big moments carry themselves, but during the meat and potatoes of a given game, he was always talking, always telling a story, even if only loosely related to the events at the exact moment.

Fair enough. All I know is that during his broadcasts I could hear actual stuff going on at the stadium.

10 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That is the most ridiculous synopsis of baseball I've possibly ever read.  Nothing happens on most pitches?  Something literally happens on every single pitch.  That's the beauty of the sport.  Every single pitch is an individual physical and mental matchup between 2 people.

If you think a 1st quarter 3rd and 8 from your own 27 yard line is tense, then you are a scmuck.

Not quite. I like baseball, but there is one situation I think could be improved. How about a wild pitch with no one on base? I like the idea of letting the batter "steal first," similar to the dropped 3rd strike. As it is now, with a wild pitch and no one on, nothing happens.

Archived