Mayfield may turn out great but......

edscuba

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never thought Darnold would be available at 3.  We were very fortunate and I give Macgagnan credit for making that trade with the Colts early.  Can you imagine what the Colts could have asked for if they still had the 3rd pick and Darnold was still on the board? It would have been a bidding frenzy between teams that would have cost a hell of a lot more than we gave up.

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I never thought Darnold would be available at 3.  We were very fortunate and I give Macgagnan credit for making that trade with the Colts early.  Can you imagine what the Colts could have asked for if they still had the 3rd pick and Darnold was still on the board? It would have been a bidding frenzy between teams that would have cost a hell of a lot more than we gave up.

Darnold hasn't even played a game yet and you no longer hear how "we gave up too much"

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

Darnold hasn't even played a game yet and you no longer hear how "we gave up too much"

Maccagnan only went one second-rounder over the draft pick trade chart point system, and when the whole universe knew you were doing it for a potential franchise QB, that was a bargain. The fact that the Jets got the near-consensus #1 player in the draft at #3 makes that a huge bargain. As @JetFanatic is saying, that pick would've cost at least next year's #1 pick in real time with Darnold on the board.  

34 minutes ago, edscuba said:

When the coach has to remind you to not be late or think about getting in early. I like our pick better so far. Plus we would have idiots like that cheering him too.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-hard-knocks/0ap3000000945410/Hard-Knocks-Jackson-s-advice-to-Baker-get-in-earlier

That's pretty sad , especially for a #1 overall. Lots of us said WTF ? when Cleveland picked him #1. Time will tell.

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Maccagnan only went one second-rounder over the draft pick trade chart point system, and when the whole universe knew you were doing it for a potential franchise QB, that was a bargain. The fact that the Jets got the near-consensus #1 player in the draft at #3 makes that a huge bargain. As @JetFanatic is saying, that pick would've cost at least next year's #1 pick in real time with Darnold on the board.  

The other issue is the depth of the 2 drafts.  Front offices plan years ahead and they know how the group of kids looks the next season when they are making these deals. 

We gave up 2 picks in a draft that didnt have a fantastic group of top 50 guys outside of the QBs.  LT and passrusher in particular was lacking while interior lineman and RBs were pretty deep, positions we didnt really need with Crowell and Long being signed in FA.

My guess is that seeing that LT and pass rusher are going to be very deep in 2019, it led mac to give up the 2 second rounders as opposed to his first in 2019, because if the team is picking in the teens, they likely still can get a starting edge or LT whereas neither of those spots were or will be available with any of the second rounders.

21 minutes ago, ljr said:

Anyone checking in on Cleveland Browns message boards ?  Curious how he's been performing other than being late

I think he's been alright. I think all the 1st round QBs have looked decent, up and down moments. Although I did read a Bills report gushing over Allens high speed passes and saying the WRs weren't used to it thus causing drops. 

Jackson explaining why he won't start Mayfield...

There is some strong thinking behind Jackson’s position. He has tried to hand the Browns over to rookie quarterbacks in each of the last two seasons — Cody Kessler in 2016 and DeShone Kizer in 2017. Not only did neither of those quarterbacks work out, but neither are even with the Browns anymore.

“I’ve had two players here in the past who’d never played in the National Football League, and we put them out there,” Jackson told Albert Breer of the MMQB. “That didn’t do anybody any good. So why take a guy who we know is going to be our future and put him in that situation? We understand how hard it is to play in this league, how much you need to know, what your supporting cast has to be for you to have success."

“Why put him in a situation where maybe he wouldn’t flourish? That would make no sense.”

At the end of the day, the guy was a 2nd round talent that ended up going #1 overall because people fell in love with all of the bravado and swagger bullsh*t.

Thank God for the Browns. And the Giants for that matter.

Mayfield can be a successful QB at the next level, but he’s very limited. That’s just a fact. You’re talking about a guy who is just a shade over 6’0 with 4.85 speed and doesn’t necessarily have a cannon either. You’re banking on him overcoming his limitations based on just pure intangibles. Because he walks around with a chip on his shoulder and his teammates like him.

Darnold and Rosen were always the Big 2 QB’s of this class and I would’ve gambled on a crazy upside kid like Allen over Mayfield as well.

Mayfield’s upside is a helluva lot more comparable to someone like Jeff Garcia than it is Drew Brees or Russell Wilson.

I was a Mayfield supporter but only because I thought Darnold would be long gone. Still can't believe the Jets lucked out. From the looks of it so far we might of dodged a bullet with Baker. Time will tell but I am still ecstatic we got Darnold. Just got my Darnold Jersey yesterday. The last one I bought was Klecko so that tells you something I guess.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

I loved Mayfield but it isn't a good look when your coach is asking when did you get up
and when did you get to the facility

Not sure if that's Mayfield's or Hue Jackson's fault. Don't forget, Jackson's record in two seasons is worse than Rich Kotite's.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Two things that are pretty much already forgotten about...

1. What was traded away to get Darnold

2. His brief contract holdout

Yet both of those things, at the time, were earth-shattering and resulted in hundreds (if not thousands) of posts on the board.

14 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I was a Mayfield supporter but only because I thought Darnold would be long gone. Still can't believe the Jets lucked out. From the looks of it so far we might of dodged a bullet with Baker. Time will tell but I am still ecstatic we got Darnold. Just got my Darnold Jersey yesterday. The last one I bought was Klecko so that tells you something I guess.

I think Mayfield can be good but Cleveland and it's genius coach, Hue Jackson, might ruin him like it did DeShone Kizer.

Mayfield as the 3rd or 4th QB taken in this Draft would be understandable.  At #1?  He'll really need to achieve a lot and rise to a Dress Brees or Russell Wilson level in order to justify that.   Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen should have been the order the QBs went in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Mayfield can be a successful QB at the next level, but he’s very limited. That’s just a fact. You’re talking about a guy who is just a shade over 6’0 with 4.85 speed and doesn’t necessarily have a cannon either. You’re banking on him overcoming his limitations based on just pure intangibles. Because he walks around with a chip on his shoulder and his teammates like him.

Darnold and Rosen were always the Big 2 QB’s of this class and I would’ve gambled on a crazy upside kid like Allen over Mayfield as well.

Mayfield’s upside is a helluva lot more compar

Like Darnold, he's accurate and accurate when he's on the move. It's not just intangibles, the kid has some talent. 

IMHO, getting drafted by the Browns is probably the worst thing that could've happened to him. Swap him and Rosen's situations, and I think you're also switching their entire careers. Place is a death knell. It's a shame because I would like to see him do well. 

My concern with Mayfield remains the same as it has been during the draft process. 

1. Size. Yes, I know there have been numerous successful QBs that are not 'tall'. But I honestly believe, despite his escapability and speed, Mayfield will be overwhelmed by the size of defenders in the NFL. He will have difficulty seeing and delivering the ball accurately over the line and stepping into the pocket. He will be constantly on the run and in trouble. He is an accurate QB when he has protection or a clear lane to throw in, but NFL defenses will adjust and make him uncomfortable on every pass play.

2. System and supporting cast. I think Mayfield will have a significant learning curve when it comes to transferring his sklls from the system he was so successful in at OU to the system in the NFL. Haley will clearly help, but he will still have to adjust, more so than other rookie QBs like Darnold and Rosen. OU also had a dominant O-line and great weapons (including a dangerous running game). Granted, the Browns have improved significantly on paper, they DO have talent. But IMHO Mayfiled will be overwhelmed b/c guy will no longer be open on a regular basis and the O-line will no longer be able to give him ample protection.

I love Mayfiled as a player, I think he will struggle adjusting to the NFL, I'm glad we got Darnold.     

33 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Mayfield’s upside is a helluva lot more comparable to someone like Jeff Garcia than it is Drew Brees or Russell Wilson.

I agree with this 100%. There is nothing WRONG with Garcia. He was a very good QB and played in the league for a very long time. Washn't he a QB coach as well? 

But there is no way Mayfield should be compared to an elite athlete like Russel Wilson or a precision gunslinger like Drew Brees. 

36 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I think he's been alright. I think all the 1st round QBs have looked decent, up and down moments. Although I did read a Bills report gushing over Allens high speed passes and saying the WRs weren't used to it thus causing drops. 

Jackson explaining why he won't start Mayfield...

There is some strong thinking behind Jackson’s position. He has tried to hand the Browns over to rookie quarterbacks in each of the last two seasons — Cody Kessler in 2016 and DeShone Kizer in 2017. Not only did neither of those quarterbacks work out, but neither are even with the Browns anymore.

“I’ve had two players here in the past who’d never played in the National Football League, and we put them out there,” Jackson told Albert Breer of the MMQB. “That didn’t do anybody any good. So why take a guy who we know is going to be our future and put him in that situation? We understand how hard it is to play in this league, how much you need to know, what your supporting cast has to be for you to have success."

“Why put him in a situation where maybe he wouldn’t flourish? That would make no sense.”

From what I have heard the MOST praise has been put on ROSEN and DARNOLD. There has been some noise about L.Jackson but mostly because of the potential of him playing at the same time as RGIII and/or Flacco. Also, the potential of him playing other positions (WR). Not so much for what he has done on the field as a QB.

Allen has gotten the most criticism. But I think everybody expected him to have a bigger learning curve than most of the other 1st round QBs. 

Mayfield has flown under the radar. He's gotten praise but it doesn't seem like the Browns are entertaining the notion of starting him over T.Taylor.  

7 minutes ago, PepPep said:

From what I have heard the MOST praise has been put on ROSEN and DARNOLD. There has been some noise about L.Jackson but mostly because of the potential of him playing at the same time as RGIII and/or Flacco. Also, the potential of him playing other positions (WR). Not so much for what he has done on the field as a QB.

Allen has gotten the most criticism. But I think everybody expected him to have a bigger learning curve than most of the other 1st round QBs. 

Mayfield has flown under the radar. He's gotten praise but it doesn't seem like the Browns are entertaining the notion of starting him over T.Taylor.  

Saw this gem on the Bills boards...

15 hours ago,  CowboyBill said: 

Everybody wants perfection from Allen, but he’s making throws that these receivers have never before seen or thought possible. They also need some time to figure out how to catch his passes. It’s possible they give up on a route because no other QB they’ve played with was able to make the throw necessary where they are on the field. Once they figure it out though, they could be dangerous. This is why he needs time with the 1s. They’ve got to figure him out too. 

37 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I agree with this 100%. There is nothing WRONG with Garcia. He was a very good QB and played in the league for a very long time. Washn't he a QB coach as well? 

But there is no way Mayfield should be compared to an elite athlete like Russel Wilson or a precision gunslinger like Drew Brees. 

Pretty much

I could see Mayfield carving himself out a decent career, but do I think he’ll ever live up to the hype of being the #1 pick? No. Not at all.

The guy by all accounts was a 2nd round prospect, and then draft season kicked into full swing and people pumped him up based purely on this grandiose sense of moxy that he possesses. Mayfield is a 6’0 QB with average athleticism and a slightly above average arm who hails from a simplistic air raid system and has some of the same off field questions that surrounded a guy like Manziel. I have no doubt that Mayfield is more committed to the game of football than Manziel was, but that still doesn’t negate the fact that you still have to worry about the possibility of him getting arrested at some club at 2 am on a Friday night. Not the case with someone like Darnold.

The Browns had Darnold and Chubb there for the taking and instead they’re walking away with Mayfield and a 5’10 CB like Ward who isn’t even in the same league as his former teammate, Marshon Lattimore, as a prospect.

I’d be pissed if I was a Browns fan.

34 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

15 hours ago,  CowboyBill said: 

Everybody wants perfection from Allen, but he’s making throws that these receivers have never before seen or thought possible. 

If CowboyBill is referring to a top 10-drafted QB's inability to hit wide open check downs in training camp, then yes, his receivers have never seen anything like it. 

Archived