Mayfield may turn out great but......

edscuba

The thesis behind drafting Mayfield was that guys like Brees and Wilson were drafted lower, largely because of their height, and ended up very successful.  It would be foolish to pass up a player like that who exhibited excellent accuracy, football intelligence and competitiveness.  All true. 

The think the better point here is that Darnold and possibly Rosen were underscouted.  They had the football attributes and more typical size and/or athleticism.  In my view the Jets got tremendous value.  If we were picking 6 and Mayfield was there, he was the pick, maybe even over Rosen, but not Darnold.  

If there is a QB with NFL size and skills, you take that one, but you don't pass on a QB with NFL skills who may be a little short.

Russell Wilson is a freak athlete who is actually shorter than Mayfield.  Brees is just Brees. The Browns bet that Mayfield was Brees.  

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Saw this gem on the Bills boards...

15 hours ago,  CowboyBill said: 

Everybody wants perfection from Allen, but he’s making throws that these receivers have never before seen or thought possible. They also need some time to figure out how to catch his passes. It’s possible they give up on a route because no other QB they’ve played with was able to make the throw necessary where they are on the field. Once they figure it out though, they could be dangerous. This is why he needs time with the 1s. They’ve got to figure him out too. 

Meanwhile, in Buffalo:

bills.gif?w=1000

Did the Browns screw up picking Mayfield ? Time is going to tell.

But why risk it in the first place with Darnold sitting right there, drinking bottled water at his draft table just waiting for your call.

The team that is quietly slipping out the back door on this are the Giants. If Manning has a poor season and looks like is in decline they should wear flack too.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Oh you dont say?  Let me find some footage of OJ's home video of his friends saying nice things about him when he was just a little boy.

I was a nice little boy once.

Now I'm a pretty sh*tty person as an adult.

9 hours ago, ljr said:

Anyone checking in on Cleveland Browns message boards ?  Curious how he's been performing other than being late

Recent article I read said Hue Jackson said Mayfield has no chance to start

1 hour ago, The Walrus said:

Did the Browns screw up picking Mayfield ? Time is going to tell.

But why risk it in the first place with Darnold sitting right there, drinking bottled water at his draft table just waiting for your call.

The team that is quietly slipping out the back door on this are the Giants. If Manning has a poor season and looks like is in decline they should wear flack too.

I don't think anyone is forgetting the Giants passed on him, certainly not in New York. If Darnold becomes a stud and the Giants have a hard time replacing Eli they'll be criticized for the move for as long as they don't have a QB, no matter how good Saquon is.

23 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Recent article I read said Hue Jackson said Mayfield has no chance to start

Meanwhile Darnold, Rosen, Allen all have a chance at winning the starting job going into preseason

One a these things is not like the other!

Each franchise got the player they deserve.  

About two weeks before the draft, the Browns voiced concern to Sam's people that they thought Sam might not have the personality to lead a franchise out of the bottom.  Sam's agent hired a PR guy to work with Sam before the private workout with the Browns.  Cowherd got it right....he stated the day after the first round selection, he heard from Browns insiders that their FO felt the job was "too big" for Sam.  

Lol, whatever.  

32 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Baker’s ceiling is Kellen Clemens, his floor is Manziel

My goodness you hate him. What would you have done if the Giants weren't concerned about Eli's feelings and did the right thing and took Darnold? Mayfield would be a Jet today.

55 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Meanwhile Darnold, Rosen, Allen all have a chance at winning the starting job going into preseason

One a these things is not like the other!

He may develop and be great at some point....he may not but Jackson says Taylor is his starting QB. Read’em and weep Baker. 

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/browns-coach-baker-mayfield-starting/458611

9 hours ago, paulyjet said:

Hollysh*t just watching that little exchange tells you so much!

I wanted Baker, but I'm liking our guy Sammy now that's for sure.

????

I got myself pumped up for drafting Mayfield for one reason and one reason alone:  it never even occurred to me that Darnold possibly would be available at 3

55 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

My goodness you hate him. What would you have done if the Giants weren't concerned about Eli's feelings and did the right thing and took Darnold? Mayfield would be a Jet today.

Actual Rosen would be a Jet.  Mayfield was taken first. 

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

True, I meant to say if the Browns had taken Darnold, Mayfield would be a Jet today

I think there was a time when the Browns were seriously considering taking Barkley #1 and hoping/expecting that Mayfield would still be there at #4. In that scenario, it's very possible that the jints take Darnold #2. It makes me almost wonder if the Jets did something smart (crazy! I know). What if the Jets got wind of that plan, and then leaked the "Mayfield won't get past the Jets at #3," articles we started to see as the draft got closer - forcing the Browns' hands if Mayfield really was their guy? 

More Baker Magic Reports.....

I wanted him but "there is a problem here Houston."  Read for yourself.....

There were a few things to like about Baker Mayfield during the first episode of HBO’s “Hard Knocks.” But there was so much more to like about Jarvis Landry.

The Cleveland Browns receiver was set up by the showrunners to be the most likable character, not only because of his talent but also his persona. It’s so easy to like Landry, whose mentality upended the status quo of the Browns’ losing franchise during one of the receiver meetings.

Landry delivered an epic and exasperated speech. The veteran receiver seemed done with his position-mates taking off practices with injuries Landry seemed to think were fake.

“I don’t know what’s been going on here, but if you’re not hurting — like if your hamstring ain’t falling off the [expletive] bone, if your leg ain’t broke — you should be [expletive] practicing. That [expletive] is contagious and that [expletive] is contagious as [expletive]. And that [expletive] ain’t going to be in this room. That [expletive] has been here in the past, and the past is what it is. That [expletive] is over with here, bro.

Landy’s message comes in the same episode where the coaches make it clear: the Browns need to get tougher if they’re going to win a game in 2018, something they couldn’t do in 2017.

Landry and the coaches are on the same page. Mayfield, meanwhile, hasn’t gotten there yet.

The rookie quarterback got challenged by his coach Hue Jackson, and didn’t seem to rise to the occasion. Jackson approached Mayfield one morning at the start of practice to see when he woke up. Mayfield tried to dodge the question, but eventually explained he tends to get to the facility two hours before practice.

“You ever come in with your boy, [Tyrod Taylor],” Jackson asked.

Taylor is the veteran who Mayfield intends to beat in the quarterback competition. (During the episode, Landry touts Taylor for working tirelessly at every hour of the day by showing up first and leaving last.)

“He does his own little workouts in the morning,” Mayfield responded.

“Where’s your core workout in the morning? You start starting your career now. It’s a competition. Everything you do, baby. You know how they do it. Why not?” Jackson asked.

Mayfield walked away without a comment.

I repeat: The first-overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft was asked to work harder. And he had no answer but to walk away.

The show highlighted a nice drive by Mayfield where he demonstrated strong leadership and execution with the second team offense. But he was still running with the second team. Taylor, the man reporting to work earlier than Mayfield, was running with the No. 1 offense. Mayfield is still figuring out how to be a professional — and, frankly, an adult. That’s fair. He’s 23 years old.

Landry, meanwhile, has it figured out. He’s the hero the Browns deserve. He’s the one they so desperately need.

10 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

There were a few things to like about Baker Mayfield during the first episode of HBO’s “Hard Knocks.” But there was so much more to like about Jarvis Landry.

The Cleveland Browns receiver was set up by the showrunners to be the most likable character, not only because of his talent but also his persona. It’s so easy to like Landry, whose mentality upended the status quo of the Browns’ losing franchise during one of the receiver meetings.

Landry delivered an epic and exasperated speech. The veteran receiver seemed done with his position-mates taking off practices with injuries Landry seemed to think were fake.

“I don’t know what’s been going on here, but if you’re not hurting — like if your hamstring ain’t falling off the [expletive] bone, if your leg ain’t broke — you should be [expletive] practicing. That [expletive] is contagious and that [expletive] is contagious as [expletive]. And that [expletive] ain’t going to be in this room. That [expletive] has been here in the past, and the past is what it is. That [expletive] is over with here, bro.

Landy’s message comes in the same episode where the coaches make it clear: the Browns need to get tougher if they’re going to win a game in 2018, something they couldn’t do in 2017.

Landry and the coaches are on the same page. Mayfield, meanwhile, hasn’t gotten there yet.

The rookie quarterback got challenged by his coach Hue Jackson, and didn’t seem to rise to the occasion. Jackson approached Mayfield one morning at the start of practice to see when he woke up. Mayfield tried to dodge the question, but eventually explained he tends to get to the facility two hours before practice.

Taylor is the veteran who Mayfield intends to beat in the quarterback competition. (During the episode, Landry touts Taylor for working tirelessly at every hour of the day by showing up first and leaving last.)

“Where’s your core workout in the morning? You start starting your career now. It’s a competition. Everything you do, baby. You know how they do it. Why not?” Jackson asked.

I repeat: The first-overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft was asked to work harder. And he had no answer but to walk away.

The show highlighted a nice drive by Mayfield where he demonstrated strong leadership and execution with the second team offense. But he was still running with the second team. Taylor, the man reporting to work earlier than Mayfield, was running with the No. 1 offense. Mayfield is still figuring out how to be a professional — and, frankly, an adult. That’s fair. He’s 23 years old.

Landry, meanwhile, has it figured out. He’s the hero the Browns deserve. He’s the one they so desperately need.

And people were salivating over this guy

10 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is exactly the type of thing that happened with Adams quotes.  People who hate on Baker will say, "see what I mean", without actually looking at what happened.

Baker is getting to the facility two hours before practice, not 10 mins and its the first week.  Tyrod is beating him, by how much we dont know.  Given the source is Hugh Jackson, who is completely clueless, its possible tyrod was there 15 mins before him.

Baker came off fine in that episode and seems like a good leader.  This was a non-event

15 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This is exactly the type of thing that happened with Adams quotes.  People who hate on Baker will say, "see what I mean", without actually looking at what happened.

Baker is getting to the facility two hours before practice, not 10 mins and its the first week.  Tyrod is beating him, by how much we dont know.  Given the source is Hugh Jackson, who is completely clueless, its possible tyrod was there 15 mins before him.

Baker came off fine in that episode and seems like a good leader.  This was a non-event

Or more likely all the qbs on the roster are supposed to be showing up together to work out together.  A lot of nfl and college teams do that.  Baker Manziel no showing that was his big FU to the coaching staff

I’m gonna laugh hard when this guy is officially declared a bust in 2 years

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Or more likely all the qbs on the roster are supposed to be showing up together to work out together.  A lot of nfl and college teams do that.  Baker Manziel no showing that was his big FU to the coaching staff

I’m gonna laugh hard when this guy is officially declared a bust in 2 years

So if what you say is true 1 of 2 things happened.

1.  Tryod told him "we are all showing up at 6 and baker showed up at 7 (or late)

2.  Tyrod didnt tell him and on day 3 of his career hes supposed to magically know what time tyrod will be there and arrive at the same time

If a lot of college and NFL teams do that, shouldnt it be coordinated?

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

So if what you say is true 1 of 2 things happened.

1.  Tryod told him "we are all showing up at 6 and baker showed up at 7 (or late)

2.  Tyrod didnt tell him and on day 3 of his career hes supposed to magically know what time tyrod will be there and arrive at the same time

If a lot of college and NFL teams do that, shouldnt it be coordinated?

Excuses excuses.  Vince Young did the same crap when Kerry Collins was trying to help him how’d he turn out?

11 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

But he's was such a good boy and all his friends talk about how nice he is and stuff.

54 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I don't know.  You might not think much of Jackson but he is the head coach.  And he thought it was enough of an issue to talk to the kid, knowing it was likely to embarrass him on this stupid TV show.  

Archived