Mayfield may turn out great but......

edscuba

35 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I don't know.  You might not think much of Jackson but he is the head coach.  And he thought it was enough of an issue to talk to the kid, knowing it was likely to embarrass him on this stupid TV show.  

dude is the losingest mf'er and should not be an nfl hc , and you are, what, exactly, lauding his motivational techniques? mamma mia!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlagitIeB5WNxPgIyUi0T

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, slats said:

I think there was a time when the Browns were seriously considering taking Barkley #1 and hoping/expecting that Mayfield would still be there at #4. In that scenario, it's very possible that the jints take Darnold #2. It makes me almost wonder if the Jets did something smart (crazy! I know). What if the Jets got wind of that plan, and then leaked the "Mayfield won't get past the Jets at #3," articles we started to see as the draft got closer - forcing the Browns' hands if Mayfield really was their guy? 

I definitely think that the Jets got Darnold because of their interest in Mayfield. I do not think it was a smokescreen though. I think if you go back and look at all the events and timing they liked Mayfield best as they were also assuming that Darnold would 100% be taken by Cleveland. I think they liked Darnold best all along but never thought it a possibility and then when the Mayfield to Browns rumors started they did the visit and all that. If the Jets had shown interest in Rosen instead, I do think there is a chance Cleveland takes Barkley first and tries to get Mayfield fourth. I still cant believe we got Darnold. The three moves at the top of the 2018 draft could shape the next decade of the NFL. I have this feeling Barkley is not the next Adrian Peterson but the next Reggie Bush. And the Giants will be kicking themselves for the next 20 years

45 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

After watching Hard Knocks, Browns are still a mess. Starting with the Hue Jackson. When you have to say its your team and were doing it your way, you're already in trouble. He'll be gone soon enough.

Hue Jackson came off to me as maybe the weakest of all the head coaches I have seen on Hard Knocks and lets face it, the way teams are selected Hard Knocks is always at a shiiitty team so most of the head coaches suck. How do you go 1-31 and keep your job? No NFL team is that bad talent wise

On 8/7/2018 at 11:41 AM, MDL_JET said:

Saw this gem on the Bills boards...

15 hours ago,  CowboyBill said: 

Everybody wants perfection from Allen, but he’s making throws that these receivers have never before seen or thought possible. They also need some time to figure out how to catch his passes. It’s possible they give up on a route because no other QB they’ve played with was able to make the throw necessary where they are on the field. Once they figure it out though, they could be dangerous. This is why he needs time with the 1s. They’ve got to figure him out too. 

I hear when Allen throws the ball it actually travels through a wormhole so the WRs give up on his passes... Understandable, I would too.

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

After watching Hard Knocks, Browns are still a mess. Starting with the Hue Jackson. When you have to say its your team and were doing it your way, you're already in trouble. He'll be gone soon enough.

I was literally amazed watching that scene.  First of all, why is he sitting in front of everyone like he is on a podium?  The head guy can and should obviously sit at the head of the table, but he looked ridiculous in front of everyone like that.

More importantly when a respected OC, who is considered (by title) one of your top lieutenants makes a suggestion to blow it off saying "its my team.." it shows that you are an absolute abomination as a leader.

Brutal footage of Hugh, and Ill be surprised if he makes it through the year. 

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

This is exactly the type of thing that happened with Adams quotes.  People who hate on Baker will say, "see what I mean", without actually looking at what happened.

Baker is getting to the facility two hours before practice, not 10 mins and its the first week.  Tyrod is beating him, by how much we dont know.  Given the source is Hugh Jackson, who is completely clueless, its possible tyrod was there 15 mins before him.

Baker came off fine in that episode and seems like a good leader.  This was a non-event

They filmed Tyron getting to the facility it was pitch dark outside so probably around 4 AM. Browns practice is at 2:30-3:00, so Tyrod gets there at 4 AM, Baker at 12:30, that’s kind of a big deal.

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

So if what you say is true 1 of 2 things happened.

1.  Tryod told him "we are all showing up at 6 and baker showed up at 7 (or late)

2.  Tyrod didnt tell him and on day 3 of his career hes supposed to magically know what time tyrod will be there and arrive at the same time

If a lot of college and NFL teams do that, shouldnt it be coordinated?

Except they're all sleeping in the same RV.  They're coming in hours apart. Not getting how the number 1 pick in the draft, a QB trying to get his career off on the right foot, can't get to the facility at the same time as the bridge QB he's bunking with.  

9 hours ago, BCJet said:

This is exactly the type of thing that happened with Adams quotes.  People who hate on Baker will say, "see what I mean", without actually looking at what happened.

Baker is getting to the facility two hours before practice, not 10 mins and its the first week.  Tyrod is beating him, by how much we dont know.  Given the source is Hugh Jackson, who is completely clueless, its possible tyrod was there 15 mins before him.

Baker came off fine in that episode and seems like a good leader.  This was a non-event

I don't hate Baker... I WANTED THE JETS TO DRAFT BAKER!

However that doesn't mean everything he does is golden or that he is perfect or any critique of him or any player that I LIKE means I hate him or them...

Lets Go Jets!!!! :) 

6 hours ago, BCJet said:

I was literally amazed watching that scene.  First of all, why is he sitting in front of everyone like he is on a podium?  The head guy can and should obviously sit at the head of the table, but he looked ridiculous in front of everyone like that.

More importantly when a respected OC, who is considered (by title) one of your top lieutenants makes a suggestion to blow it off saying "its my team.." it shows that you are an absolute abomination as a leader.

Brutal footage of Hugh, and Ill be su40_rprised if he makes it through the year. 

Watching that one team - one goal sh*t about how they are aiming for the super bowl was painful.  When was the last time they won a game?  That is the type of clueless sh*t Mangini was big on.  I watch that after reading about Sauer's retirement and I realize that not much has changed in 40+ years.

20 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Baker looked great out there. I think CLE is going to be OK. 

I'm not seeing "great."   I have seen plenty of tuck and runs versus vanilla defense not designed to keep him in the pocket.   I have seen a handful of wide open receivers that he completed balls to... but forced them to go to ground or reach behind with those subtle inaccuracies leaving YAC out there.

None of the above is meant to be a total knock.  Simply that it is way too soon to make a judgement.  Much of the drives I see with him look like what you see on Saturdays.  "Great" is premature.   

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

I'm not seeing "great."   I have seen plenty of tuck and runs.  I have seen a handful of wide open receivers that he completed balls to... but forced them to go to ground or reach behind with those subtle inaccuracies leaving YAC out there.

None of the above is meant to be a total knock.  Simply that it is way too soon to make a judgement.  Much of the drives I saw with him looked like what you see on Saturdays.  "Great" is premature.   

take great with grain of salt. He looked as good as he's supposed to. He stood in the pocket when he needed to, and for his first action, made the plays QB1 would have made. No question. 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

take great with grain of salt. He looked as good as he's supposed to. He stood in the pocket when he needed to, and for his first action, made the plays QB1 would have made. No question. 

Fair enough.  Choose your words carefully or a vulture like me will pick them apart.

Just now, Philc1 said:

Holy Brett Ratliff he didn’t self destruct facing guys who will be bagging groceries in 1 month!

It's better than looking like trash vs the scrubs.  He abused who was lined up against him tonight.  Eventually we'll see if he can do it against NFL regulars.

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

I agree, he looked as good as he should.  He kept his eyes downfield, stepped up in the pocket and was accurate and mobile.

The thing that I did notice though was that his height was an issue a couple times when he moved up in the pocket, hes going to have to learn to move more laterally to find throwing windows then simply stepping forward as he just cant get the arm angle he will need.  The pass he threw that was ruled incomplete to Calloway though was pretty damn good.

Watching him last night - I cannot wait for Sam to come into the game tonight.

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Watching that one team - one goal sh*t about how they are aiming for the super bowl was painful.  When was the last time they won a game?  That is the type of clueless sh*t Mangini was big on.  I watch that after reading about Sauer's retirement and I realize that not much has changed in 40+ years.

One team one goal is also the line jets used on season ticket packages this year....

On 8/7/2018 at 10:50 AM, Untouchable said:

At the end of the day, the guy was a 2nd round talent that ended up going #1 overall because people fell in love with all of the bravado and swagger bullsh*t.

Thank God for the Browns. And the Giants for that matter.

Mayfield can be a successful QB at the next level, but he’s very limited. That’s just a fact. You’re talking about a guy who is just a shade over 6’0 with 4.85 speed and doesn’t necessarily have a cannon either. You’re banking on him overcoming his limitations based on just pure intangibles. Because he walks around with a chip on his shoulder and his teammates like him.

Darnold and Rosen were always the Big 2 QB’s of this class and I would’ve gambled on a crazy upside kid like Allen over Mayfield as well.

Mayfield’s upside is a helluva lot more comparable to someone like Jeff Garcia than it is Drew Brees or Russell Wilson.

Just curious, as someone who didn't watch Mayfield in college beyond some clips, and since you're using combine measurements as rationale, what makes his upside Garcia and not Brees?

It's not like Brees ran like the wind in his 40 time (4.83) and his arm is all about accuracy not strength. Even that legendary accuracy wasn't evident until well into his career; by the end of his 3rd year he was still hovering at or below 60% despite 1 of 5 attempts going to LaDainian Tomlinson 3-5 yards away, and was considered a bust, with SD looking in another direction at the position in the next draft.

On draft day Brees had nothing that would make anyone think he could possibly become just about the game's most prolific passer ever, whose average Saints seasons would easily be outlier career years for many of the game's all-time greats.

Kind of like Antonio Brown (albeit at a different position). A WR who's only 5'10" and supposedly 181 lbs, with 4.5 clocked speed, not exactly from WR-U, made him barely a top-200 pick. Yet he's 1st team AP every year with 700+ receptions and 10K yds through his age-29 season, and doesn't disappear in the playoffs. 

Or anyway that's what their hope is.

On 8/7/2018 at 9:51 AM, KRL said:

Darnold hasn't even played a game yet and you no longer hear how "we gave up too much"

maybe darnold won't be the qb everyone thinks but the jets were going nowhere trying to keep getting a very good qb with 2nd round picks. and just how many of their 2nd rounders have actually worked out of late?  maye?  harris?  not that many for the past 10 years or so.

TheMayfield TD to make it 14-3 looked nice, but he through a soft pass across his body, a little behind the TE between 3 defenders that all appear to be 2nd/3rd stringers. That same pass against 1st string DBs likely gets picked. Then again, this is just his first preseason game and he will likely imprve. 

He has very good pocket presence and may turn out to be a great QB, but let's not get too carried away here. There were many TD passes last night completed by QBs that will be carrying clipboards or out of the league in a few weeks. 

I admit to being kind of biased against him, but

From what I caught of Hard Knocks I wanted to punch him (and Hue Jackson) in the face. 

From what I saw of the game last night he looked a little frantic and seemed to throw a few up for grabs.  I did not like it, but that was 100% what you expect in a 1st preseason game. I didn't watch much because Ravens fans were over, so that was on.  Janarion Grant FTMFW!

11 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

It's better than looking like trash vs the scrubs.  He abused who was lined up against him tonight.  Eventually we'll see if he can do it against NFL regulars.

Abused?  What was he 5 of 12 in the first half?  11 of 20 for the game?  A lot of off the mark throws, more than on the mark.  

He was ok but abused no one.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just curious, as someone who didn't watch Mayfield in college beyond some clips, and since you're using combine measurements as rationale, what makes his upside Garcia and not Brees?

It's not like Brees ran like the wind in his 40 time (4.83) and his arm is all about accuracy not strength. Even that legendary accuracy wasn't evident until well into his career; by the end of his 3rd year he was still hovering at or below 60% despite 1 of 5 attempts going to LaDainian Tomlinson 3-5 yards away, and was considered a bust, with SD looking in another direction at the position in the next draft.

On draft day Brees had nothing that would make anyone think he could possibly become just about the game's most prolific passer ever, whose average Saints seasons would easily be outlier career years for many of the game's all-time greats.

Kind of like Antonio Brown (albeit at a different position). A WR who's only 5'10" and supposedly 181 lbs, with 4.5 clocked speed, not exactly from WR-U, made him barely a top-200 pick. Yet he's 1st team AP every year with 700+ receptions and 10K yds through his age-29 season, and doesn't disappear in the playoffs. 

Or anyway that's what their hope is.

Brees is probably one of the Top 10 (certainly Top 15) QB’s to ever play the game...I think those are very lofty expectations for Mayfield.

Whenever Mayfield was allowed to play within the confines of Lincoln Riley’s offense, he would usually look stellar. But on the rare occasion that they would have to go off script and work on the fly (see the 2nd half of the Rose Bowl against Georgia), he would suddenly look very, very ordinary.

I don’t think the Garcia comparison should be taken as an insult to Mayfield. Garcia had a successful career for the most part. Made a couple of pro-bowls, lead a few playoff teams, etc.

But at the end of the day, he was a 6’0 QB who wasn’t a terrific athlete and didn’t have a cannon for an arm. He was limited. A guy who was accurate in the short/intermediate game and could move out of the pocket to buy time with his legs. He was also touted for his leadership qualities. Very, very similar to Mayfield.

Could Mayfield perhaps be the next Brees? I mean, I guess it’s possible. However slim the possibility may be.

But overall, I suspect he’ll have a decent 8-10 year career as a starter but will never live up to his draft position. He should’ve been a late 1st/2nd round pick IMO. 

I don’t think he’ll be a bust at all, but I think you’d have to be pretty damn incompetent to take him over a prospect like Darnold or Rosen. Which is what the Browns have long been. Decidedly more so than even the Jets.

The Browns were served up Darnold and Chubb on a silver platter and they walked away with neither. That would infuriate me if I were a Browns fan. Mayfield looking good for 2 quarters against the Giants 2nd and 3rd stringers would not convince me otherwise.

Archived