Mayfield may turn out great but......

edscuba

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

take great with grain of salt. He looked as good as he's supposed to. He stood in the pocket when he needed to, and for his first action, made the plays QB1 would have made. No question. 

This.  Looked very solid, so good for him.  

I hope Darnold can look as good tonight.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rangerous said:

maybe darnold won't be the qb everyone thinks but the jets were going nowhere trying to keep getting a very good qb with 2nd round picks. and just how many of their 2nd rounders have actually worked out of late?  maye?  harris?  not that many for the past 10 years or so.

+1  Of All the criticisms I have of the Jets, the effort to get a #1 QB in Round #1 is not one of them.

Would I have liked to keep all those #2's, hell yeah I would have.

But I get the decision, I just hope it pays off.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

+1  Of All the criticisms I have of the Jets, the effort to get a #1 QB in Round #1 is not one of them.

Would I have liked to keep all those #2's, hell yeah I would have.

But I get the decision, I just hope it pays off.

Just think of those 2nds as QB investments far wiser than Kellen Clemens, Geno Smith and Christian Hackenberg.?

To put it in perspective:

Deshone Kizer’s first pre-season game in Cleveland last year:

11-18, 183 yards, 1 TD

Mayfield looked solid, but it really means nothing at this point.

Same thing if Darnold looks really good tonight. Means nothing.

It’s just fun to get your first look at these guys on the NFL stage.

27 minutes ago, freestater said:

Just think of those 2nds as QB investments far wiser than Kellen Clemens, Geno Smith and Christian Hackenberg.?

yep and then think of them as devon smith, justin miller, jace amaro, stephen hill, vlad "the impaler" ducasse.  and those guys round out the picks since 2005.  8 misses in 13 drafts and what makes it worse is that the jets only had 2nd round picks in 10 of those.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Brees is probably one of the Top 10 (certainly Top 15) QB’s to ever play the game...I think those are very lofty expectations for Mayfield.

Whenever Mayfield was allowed to play within the confines of Lincoln Riley’s offense, he would usually look stellar. But on the rare occasion that they would have to go off script and work on the fly (see the 2nd half of the Rose Bowl against Georgia), he would suddenly look very, very ordinary.

I don’t think the Garcia comparison should be taken as an insult to Mayfield. Garcia had a successful career for the most part. Made a couple of pro-bowls, lead a few playoff teams, etc.

But at the end of the day, he was a 6’0 QB who wasn’t a terrific athlete and didn’t have a cannon for an arm. He was limited. A guy who was accurate in the short/intermediate game and could move out of the pocket to buy time with his legs. He was also touted for his leadership qualities. Very, very similar to Mayfield.

Could Mayfield perhaps be the next Brees? I mean, I guess it’s possible. However slim the possibility may be.

But overall, I suspect he’ll have a decent 8-10 year career as a starter but will never live up to his draft position. He should’ve been a late 1st/2nd round pick IMO. 

I don’t think he’ll be a bust at all, but I think you’d have to be pretty damn incompetent to take him over a prospect like Darnold or Rosen. Which is what the Browns have long been. Decidedly more so than even the Jets.

The Browns were served up Darnold and Chubb on a silver platter and they walked away with neither. That would infuriate me if I were a Browns fan. Mayfield looking good for 2 quarters against the Giants 2nd and 3rd stringers would not convince me otherwise.

No doubt they're lofty expectations, but for someone more "prototypical" it's be no less lofty if he was in the Peyton Manning mold; he's not going to be Peyton Manning. It's more that one could be successful like (but not as good as) Peyton Manning, and another could be successful like (but not as good as) Drew Brees. 

I think we generally agree, though you know more than I do about Mayfield as a prospect. I was just looking at him from the standpoint you were (by his size/speed numbers), and he can be successful in the Brees mold without actually saying he will be Brees.

I guess it's just that historically there are far more numbers of successful QBs in the Manning mold than in the Brees mold, so it's tougher to find comparisons. Not only is it rare for someone to turn out like Brees, but it's rarer still for someone his size because they don't get the 2nd/3rd chances that one gets when they have the 6'2" to 6'6" height just for starters.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No doubt they're lofty expectations, but for someone more "prototypical" it's be no less lofty if he was in the Peyton Manning mold; he's not going to be Peyton Manning. It's more that one could be successful like (but not as good as) Peyton Manning, and another could be successful like (but not as good as) Drew Brees. 

I think we generally agree, though you know more than I do about Mayfield as a prospect. I was just looking at him from the standpoint you were (by his size/speed numbers), and he can be successful in the Brees mold without actually saying he will be Brees.

I guess it's just that historically there are far more numbers of successful QBs in the Manning mold than in the Brees mold, so it's tougher to find comparisons. Not only is it rare for someone to turn out like Brees, but it's rarer still for someone his size because they don't get the 2nd/3rd chances that one gets when they have the 6'2" to 6'6" height just for starters.

the good news for browns fans is that he definitely passes the eye test.  you watch him, he can play.  his instincts and accuracy are good.  he knows how to get out of trouble and hit the checkdown target.  he did things last night that geno didn't do here in 3 years.  then webb comes in and looked overwhelmed.  his accuracy was off throw after throw, he threw screen passes too hard, and based purely on last night it's hard to see what the giants are excited about.  last night, webb looked like petty, a good athlete with a good arm who can't play the position.  of course it's only one game, but still, if we can see it, their coaches can too.

I’m seeing a lot “hold your horses, it was preseason and he was good but not perfect. Let’s not get carried away”... yea there’s merit to that statement and probably some truth too...

But.

Y’all know if things had gone differently and we ended up with Baker instead, and he played like that in OUR first game?... drawers would drop and you’d be calling for mop up on isle 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’m seeing a lot “hold your horses, it was preseason and he was good but not perfect. Let’s not get carried away”... yea there’s merit to that statement and probably some truth too...

But.

Y’all know if things had gone differently and we ended up with Baker instead, and he played like that in OUR first game?... drawers would drop and you’d be calling for mop up on isle 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure many would

But I learned my lesson with this stuff a long time ago.

I remember when everyone was creaming their pants watching Brett Ratliff drop bombs on David Clowney 10-12 years ago. And then neither ever made even a sliver of an impact in a game that actually mattered.

Mayfield showed some good stuff last night, but it’s going to take me a while to buy in.

I’ll probably get initially excited by what Darnold shows tonight, but then I’ll find my bearings and realize that none of this stuff really means dick until September. 

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

To put it in perspective:

Deshone Kizer’s first pre-season game in Cleveland last year:

11-18, 183 yards, 1 TD

Mayfield looked solid, but it really means nothing at this point.

Same thing if Darnold looks really good tonight. Means nothing.

It’s just fun to get your first look at these guys on the NFL stage.

This.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

This.  Looked very solid, so good for him.  

I hope Darnold can look as good tonight.

Yeah...  A lot of people are poo-pooing Mayfield's performance, but if Darnold looks the same as Mayfield did last night, we're all going to be ecstatic.

1 hour ago, thshadow said:

Yeah...  A lot of people are poo-pooing Mayfield's performance, but if Darnold looks the same as Mayfield did last night, we're all going to be ecstatic.

Exactly. People are funny like that. 

Let Darnold go out and throw for over 200 yards and 2 TD's and make consecutive big plays on 3rd and 4th down to keep drives alive. Folks will be talking it up the entire week...and rightfully so. 

Browns having same debate we all are

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Board/105323/Contents/Mayfield-vs-Darnold-is-the-new-Manning-vs-Brady-120573746/

Does it matter? They both looked good and like they belonged in their first preseason game.  They also did a little differently, but they played with different personnel and against different personnel.   I would be happy for both fan bases that the drafted QBs showed promise.

Archived