Adams Says Some ’17 Jets “Wanted to do the bare minimum”

JetNation

12 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I get that people want him to stop talking so much. I kind of do too. He hasn't accomplished anything to warrant his mouth to run the way it does.

That said, I don't have a problem with what he said in this instance. All he said was that some people became complacent after years of losing, and the younger guys want to change that. 

Absolutely. Would much rather have the kid calling that kind of behavior out. Makes it much harder for the loafers to hide.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Was Adams a ballhawk last year? No. Did I see him running step for step with Gronk and in good position to make a play on the ball a couple times? Yes, but it's Gronk. I think Adams has the potential to be a prototype safety who can do it all, but the guy was a rookie on a generally bad team. Yes, he talks a lot, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. He seems to want to be a leader on the team, an attitude that many on the board used to wish Revis had earlier in his career but never portrayed. Hopefully he steps it up and no one will care that he's bold. I also generally hate loud mouths such as say Rex, but I think Adams is trying to play a role to help the team as opposed to being interested in personal glory.

Adams has never been a ballhawk.  That’s not his game.  That’s why it was crazy using a top 6 pick on him

Incredible leadership by Adams...not a joke at all.

He's a culture changer.

After watching Hard Knocks it's funny how unprofessional some of these guys are.  Most of us are used to the corporate world, these rich young gifted kids... 

Jamal Adams' leadership alone is worth the #6 overall pick.  And I think the stats will be there too this year.

11 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

What is it with jet fans on here that makes Adams so polarizing? I don't get it. Anything he says is dissected to the bones. Every jet fan I know loves Adams. But then again my jet fan friends are not crotchety old white guys who get their panties in a bunch when they see an uppity black kid open his mouth. At least that's how it comes off to me on here. 

This got quoted a bunch so will just put it all here.

After a whole draft season where every thread was inundated with the great leadership, moxie, confidence, and all the extolling of his on field tactics, it's all acceptable for Baker Mayfield. But Adams stating he's confident in himself, wants to revolutionize the position, be a perennial pro bowler, will work his ass off to do it, and calling out teammates who haven't give it 100 is vilified. 

Never said you can't critique any player, regardless of color. I'm not a black man so not trying to play a race card, just pointing out what I've read on this board that last 7 months. according to TuscanyTile I'm an Asian woman.

It's interesting because it's impossible to find one piece, publication, interview, anything anywhere that said Jamal Adams had a bad rookie season. All you read is good/great rookie season, ascending player. The only place that exists is here. So to say he can't do this or can't do that after one season where he started 16 games as a rookie comes off as premature. 

His talk has only put pressure on himself, and where has it been a detriment to his teammates.  All the pressure is on him. Hopefully he lives up to it because it benefits the team.

Just want to say something about expectations from players drafted high. Unless you're gambling on a QB it seems the higher a team picks the safer they want that pick to be, since the bust rate is so high. Adams is not Ed Reed, a HOF safety and one of the greatest ever. But he did start 16 games as a rookie and was productive. That is what I assume a front office would consider a success.

18 minutes ago, freestater said:

Absolutely. Would much rather have the kid calling that kind of behavior out. Makes it much harder for the loafers to hide.

I'd agree if he called Wilkerson out by name, or said it to his face.  They way he did it, as he does a lot of things comes off as "Look at me"

7 minutes ago, David Harris said:

He's a culture changer.

After watching Hard Knocks it's funny how unprofessional some of these guys are.  Most of us are used to the corporate world, these rich young gifted kids... 

Jamal Adams' leadership alone is worth the #6 overall pick.  And I think the stats will be there too this year.

I support Adams since he is a Jet and clearly cares/tries. I don’t understand the whole “leadership” angle because it is best to lead by example. 

Maybe his work ethic/practice intensity is great. That’s great that he can help push fellow players to work their butts off. He is not a “team leader” yet in regards to performance. You need to lead by example and perform to gain respect of your fellow teammates and have them lean on you. 

I just don’t like how everyone calls him a “leader”, which we all want him to be, when he hasn’t earned it yet. His attitude is cut out for it but he isn’t a true leader until he earns it on the field and needs to be careful what he says. You can get away with being vocal/opinionated when you have everyone’s respect and he absolutley SHOULD NOT have their respect yet otherwise they are idiots. 

I personally think he will become a really solid player by year 3 of his career the latest and “solid enough” to have player respect and be a true team leader. For now, he needs to do the best he can to earn it and try not to lose anyone that may feel this way too. JMHO. Thoughts anyone?

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Was Adams a ballhawk last year? No. Did I see him running step for step with Gronk and in good position to make a play on the ball a couple times? Yes, but it's Gronk. I think Adams has the potential to be a prototype safety who can do it all, but the guy was a rookie on a generally bad team. Yes, he talks a lot, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. He seems to want to be a leader on the team, an attitude that many on the board used to wish Revis had earlier in his career but never portrayed. Hopefully he steps it up and no one will care that he's bold. I also generally hate loud mouths such as say Rex, but I think Adams is trying to play a role to help the team as opposed to being interested in personal glory.

and Brady!!

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Talking to the media about last year's team.  That should really help change things in the locker room. 

Funny part is too a man his teammates call him a leader.  His coaches call him a leader.  The draft analysts called him a leader.  His teammates at LSU called him a leader.  

His teams fans, who have absolutely no idea what he does on the practice field, well actually the media watching call him a leader, say he's not or has no effect. 

This is a really screwy fanbase.  He's going into his 2nd season

19 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I support Adams since he is a Jet and clearly cares/tries. I don’t understand the whole “leadership” angle because it is best to lead by example. 

Maybe his work ethic/practice intensity is great. That’s great that he can help push fellow players to work their butts off. He is not a “team leader” yet in regards to performance. You need to lead by example and perform to gain respect of your fellow teammates and have them lean on you. 

I just don’t like how everyone calls him a “leader”, which we all want him to be, when he hasn’t earned it yet. His attitude is cut out for it but he isn’t a true leader until he earns it on the field and needs to be careful what he says. You can get away with being vocal/opinionated when you have everyone’s respect and he absolutley SHOULD NOT have their respect yet otherwise they are idiots. 

I personally think he will become a really solid player by year 3 of his career the latest and “solid enough” to have player respect and be a true team leader. For now, he needs to do the best he can to earn it and try not to lose anyone that may feel this way too. JMHO. Thoughts anyone?

I support him as well.

Adams has never declared himself as the leader of the team or even the defense.  He has made some claims of what he expects he can do and we all hope, even the haters, that he reaches those goals.  As far as leading, he is setting an example for everyone else to follow through intensity at practice and his play on the field. 

The one big thing that is talked about is his zero interceptions.  Does anyone realize that the team leader in picks had two?  Our starting corners had one a piece yet we hound Adams.  If you look at the stats for the secondary, Adams leads most categories  and has almost as many pass deflections as our starting CB's who have the ball thrown at them way more.  He was 3rd on the team in tackles and had as many sacks as Leo.  Statistically he was very good on this team and with his aggressive style and constant motor he DOES lead by example. .  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Funny part is too a man his teammates call him a leader.  His coaches call him a leader.  The draft analysts called him a leader.  His teammates at LSU called him a leader.  

His teams fans, who have absolutely no idea what he does on the practice field, well actually the media watching call him a leader, say he's not or has no effect. 

I think Shane asked for some quotes of his teammates calling him a leader.  Do you have any?  

Who was he leading in college?  Rashard Robinson?  He's doing a bang up job!

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Shane asked for some quotes of his teammates calling him a leader.  Do you have any?  

Was anyone ever asked this in an interview?  Has anyone ever said he is or isn't?  He has never declared himself the leader?  

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Les Miles

"He starts jumping like he has too much energy," Miles said. "The rest of the  secondary starts jumping. Now we have the defensive unit coming off the ground  in between plays. That was Jamal Adams: great energy and great leadership."

"He brought every practice up several notches," Miles said.

Morris Clairborne: 

“The things he has done so far? He’s unbelievable,” Claiborne told NJ.com. “He’s been out here playing lights out. Picking up the defense, checking to different things, knowing what he wants to check to. He’s having fun doing it, too. His spirit is awesome. He’s having fun doing what he knows how to do, and that’s football. I can’t be more impressed with a young guy coming into the league, and, especially playing on that backend, doing the things he’s done so far.”

5 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Les Miles

"He starts jumping like he has too much energy," Miles said. "The rest of the  secondary starts jumping. Now we have the defensive unit coming off the ground  in between plays. That was Jamal Adams: great energy and great leadership."

Morris Clairborne: 

“The things he has done so far? He’s unbelievable,” Claiborne told NJ.com. “He’s been out here playing lights out. Picking up the defense, checking to different things, knowing what he wants to check to. He’s having fun doing it, too. His spirit is awesome. He’s having fun doing what he knows how to do, and that’s football. I can’t be more impressed with a young guy coming into the league, and, especially playing on that backend, doing the things he’s done so far.”

:cheers:

31 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Was anyone ever asked this in an interview?  Has anyone ever said he is or isn't?  He has never declared himself the leader?  

I don't know.  Maybe you should read the post I was responding to and then decide which one of us you think is off. 

20 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Les Miles

Morris Clairborne: 

Les Miles is not with the Jets.  Claiborne praises his attitude, but I do not see a single indication that he views Adams as a team leader in that quote.

"The man knows his stuff," veteran defensive lineman Steve McLendon said. "You can tell that he's been around football for a while. He knows how to be a professional on the field and off the field. He's communicating very well with his teammates. He does the necessary things that you hope a second- or third-year guy does. But he's doing it in his first year because he understands football. He's coming along." 

Adams' genuine love for the game is infectious. The Jets could do wonders if everyone cared that much.

It's a great thing to have," McLendon said. "That's what you want in every locker room. You don't want guys to come in here and just play for the money. You want guys to come in and play because they love the game. That's what it's all about."

Dam, he didn't call him a leader ?

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know.  Maybe you should read the post I was responding to and then decide which one of us you think is off. 

Les Miles is not with the Jets.  Claiborne praises his attitude, but I do not see a single indication that he views Adams as a team leader in that quote.

I keep asking the question.  Who said he was the team leader?  He certainly hasn't.

Perhaps some fans and media people have? 

lol show examples of Adams' attitude positively effecting his teammates and the haters come back with "but he didn't specifically say who he was leading and that he was officially announced the leader!"

you guys are too much. How about we just enjoy him has a player and the positive effect he has and will have on this team? Too much? 

33 minutes ago, prime21 said:

I am quoting you again, but not because I have any particular problem with your post or attitude towards Adams.  I like him.  He seems to be a solid player. OTOH, people have been saying that his play is more than the sum of its parts because he is such a great leader.  IMO, whatever leadership he has provided has not amounted to much so far.  This quote does not even amount to leadership as far as I am concerned. The post you quoted was responding to a post that said: 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

20 minutes ago, prime21 said:

I keep asking the question.  Who said he was the team leader?  He certainly hasn't.

Perhaps some fans and media people have? 

See above.  @Jet Nut said he was a team leader.  More than that, he said that "too a man his teammates call him a leader.  His coaches call him a leader."  Don't blame me.   

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am quoting you again, but not because I have any particular problem with your post or attitude towards Adams.  I like him.  He seems to be a solid player. OTOH, people have been saying that his play is more than the sum of its parts because he is such a great leader.  IMO, whatever leadership he has provided has not amounted to much so far.  This quote does not even amount to leadership as far as I am concerned. The post you quoted was responding to a post that said: 

I guess that's where we differ in opinion.  

25 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

lol show examples of Adams' attitude positively effecting his teammates and the haters come back with "but he didn't specifically say who he was leading and that he was officially announced the leader!"

you guys are too much. How about we just enjoy him has a player and the positive effect he has and will have on this team? Too much? 

When something is being given to show leadership, I would expect it to show leadership.  When my kid tells me how good he is doing in precalc, and she shows me her 97 in AP History I do say good job and forget about the ******* math grade.  

1 minute ago, prime21 said:

I guess that's where we differ in opinion.  

Fair enough. 

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

He's a culture changer.

So, leadership is blaming others and talking about something after the fact, and not actually effecting any change when it matters?

Archived