Predict/Rank how the top 5 rookie QB’s careers will go.

Patriot Killa

Darnold and Lauletta will rule NY for years.

Jets and Giants fans will be arguing who is better.

Rosen will be injury prone and gone in 3.

Allen will bust.

Mayfield will be a jag.

Jackson will be an exciting player but his game isnt whats required for long term success in the pros.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Darnold and Lauletta will rule NY for years.

Jets and Giants fans will be arguing who is better.

Rosen will be injury prone and gone in 3.

Allen will bust.

Mayfield will be a jag.

Jackson will be an exciting player but his game isnt whats required for long term success in the pros.

I think the Lauletta thing was hype. I had read he seems to have a Chad like arm.

He's a game manager at best.

Sam Darnold.

Josh Rosen.

Lamar Jackson.

Josh Allen.

Just a heads up, there's no Darnold bias involved for me as he was my #1 ranked QB before the draft even happened. These rankings are based on my, and experts pre draft rankings + camp performance

1. Darnold

He was Ranked by 90% of experts and teams as the top QB pre-draft, the best QB prospect since Luck. He's a truly gifted playmaker that can do just about everything. He has great anticipation, improvisation, mobility, and can already make throws only a few NFL QB's could pull off. Add that with being the only rookie QB projected to start, even though he's the youngest of the bunch with arguably the most competition. Darnold has the highest floor, and ceiling of the class.

2. Mayfield

Going into the draft Mayfield was my #3, but with camp underway I've switched him and Rosen. He has amazing accuracy, good mobility, and a good arm. Don't forget the fiery personality which was a huge factor in making him the top pick. He's looked really good in camp and should be given a good chance to start, but Hue Jackson has already stated that he will not start, and there is no competition. He'll be a real good QB, but definitely not Wilson/Brees as some people say.

3. Rosen

Rosen is a pure passer. He displays great footwork, a good motion, throws a great ball, and has the arm to really launch it. I fully expected him to take Arizona by storm, and win the job early. Sadly that has not happened yet, and it doesn't look like it will for a while. Even though the wondrous mechanics have been on display, he's struggled with anticipation and it looks like Bradford is a lock to be the starter week 1. I still have high hopes for him in the future (A reminder that he's only 21), and believe he'll be Arizona's man

4. Allen

The biggest boom or bust guy in the class. He's got the biggest cannon to ever come out of the draft and can also whip it on the run, but his ugly plays are really ugly. The guy can throw off his back foot 50 yards for a touchdown, and also miss screen passes by 10 yards. In camp the boom or bust Allen is on full display. One play he threw a perfect bomb for a 40 yard TD, the next play he hit a reporter with an errant throw. His QB competition is the easiest of all with 5 combined career starts from McCarron and Peterman, but it looks like he'll go into the season 3rd string.

5. Lauletta

I really liked Lauletta going into it. He came from a smaller school but displayed good accuracy, footwork, and motion. He was the star of the senior bowl, which granted him national attention. With the Giants he's the 3rd string right now, but I believe that he has the ability to be Manning's successor. The reason why he's not ranked as high on this list is because he doesn't have as good of a pedigree.

6. Jackson

Lamar Jackson is an extremely exciting player, probably the most exciting in the class. His mobility has granted him comparisons to Michael Vick, and he's won a Heisman because of it. However he is not a very polished passer. In college he had the same CMP % as Josh Allen, with the lowest ball velocity in the class. He's sitting behind Flacco right now, and should take over in the next 1-2 years. I just don't believe that he has the throwing skills to be a franchise QB, but the legendary mobility could make up for it.

4 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Just a heads up, there's no Darnold bias involved for me as he was my #1 ranked QB before the draft even happened. These rankings are based on my, and experts pre draft rankings + camp performance

1. Darnold

He was Ranked by 90% of experts and teams as the top QB pre-draft, the best QB prospect since Luck. He's a truly gifted playmaker that can do just about everything. He has great anticipation, improvisation, mobility, and can already make throws only a few NFL QB's could pull off. Add that with being the only rookie QB projected to start, even though he's the youngest of the bunch with arguably the most competition. Darnold has the highest floor, and ceiling of the class.

2. Mayfield

Going into the draft Mayfield was my #3, but with camp underway I've switched him and Rosen. He has amazing accuracy, good mobility, and a good arm. Don't forget the fiery personality which was a huge factor in making him the top pick. He's looked really good in camp and should be given a good chance to start, but Hue Jackson has already stated that he will not start, and there is no competition. He'll be a real good QB, but definitely not Wilson/Brees as some people say.

3. Rosen

Rosen is a pure passer. He displays great footwork, a good motion, throws a great ball, and has the arm to really launch it. I fully expected him to take Arizona by storm, and win the job early. Sadly that has not happened yet, and it doesn't look like it will for a while. Even though the wondrous mechanics have been on display, he's struggled with anticipation and it looks like Bradford is a lock to be the starter week 1. I still have high hopes for him in the future (A reminder that he's only 21), and believe he'll be Arizona's man

4. Allen

The biggest boom or bust guy in the class. He's got the biggest cannon to ever come out of the draft and can also whip it on the run, but his ugly plays are really ugly. The guy can throw off his back foot 50 yards for a touchdown, and also miss screen passes by 10 yards. In camp the boom or bust Allen is on full display. One play he threw a perfect bomb for a 40 yard TD, the next play he hit a reporter with an errant throw. His QB competition is the easiest of all with 5 combined career starts from McCarron and Peterman, but it looks like he'll go into the season 3rd string.

5. Lauletta

I really liked Lauletta going into it. He came from a smaller school but displayed good accuracy, footwork, and motion. He was the star of the senior bowl, which granted him national attention. With the Giants he's the 3rd string right now, but I believe that he has the ability to be Manning's successor. The reason why he's not ranked as high on this list is because he doesn't have as good of a pedigree.

6. Jackson

Lamar Jackson is an extremely exciting player, probably the most exciting in the class. His mobility has granted him comparisons to Michael Vick, and he's won a Heisman because of it. However he is not a very polished passer. In college he had the same CMP % as Josh Allen, with the lowest ball velocity in the class. He's sitting behind Flacco right now, and should take over in the next 1-2 years. I just don't believe that he has the throwing skills to be a franchise QB, but the legendary mobility could make up for it.

Nicely detailed post. 

But I thought you liked Rosen the most coming out?

16 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I think the Lauletta thing was hype. I had read he seems to have a Chad like arm.

He's a game manager at best.

Sam Darnold.

Josh Rosen.

Lamar Jackson.

Josh Allen.

Who really knows. You could be right about Lauletta being hyped but if you look at some video his arm looks good. I think it would be nice for NY sports if he and Darnold become 2 successful young guns.

1 hour ago, Ben Had said:

1. Josh Rosen

2. Everyone else

29 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

BAN!!

Honestly I think that very well may be the early return.  I think over a longer period Sam will catch  up. 

I think most people find it reasonable Rosen will have the most early success 

2 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Who really knows. You could be right about Lauletta being hyped but if you look at some video his arm looks good. I think it would be nice for NY sports if he and Darnold become 2 successful young guns.

I think he definitely has the potential to do so. Brady never had the biggest arm and actually wasn’t even good enough to get more reps in practice his first year. They said he was so bad, they thought about cutting him and then his 2nd year played just good enough to game manage and they won because their defense was so great and they had a good running game.

Lauletta just needs to develop behind the scenes. I think he’ll be good if given the time.

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Nicely detailed post. 

But I thought you liked Rosen the most coming out?

Naw he was second, but I thought he was the guy we were getting so I had a more positive viewpoint of him.

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Honestly I think that very well may be the early return.  I think over a longer period Sam will catch  up. 

I think most people find it reasonable Rosen will have the most early success 

I know, I’m just talking tongue in cheek tbh, but Rosen will be a guy who can dissect a defense if given the time and should be extremely good from the minute he steps on the field. I don’t love Arizona’s OL though, they have a worse situation than us and they just lost a reliable guy for the season...so having two injury prone QB’s in Rosen/Bradford doesn’t sound great. 

But if Rosen can stay healthy, he’ll be a beast. I have just come to like Darnold’s traits better.

Darnold career will start a little rocky and settle once he has an actual NFL caliber oline - he will keep the Jets relevant for the next 15-20 years

Bradford will start but Rosen will play this year and look great, everyone will wonder how three QB's were taken before him (scouts are not good at their jobs), Cards will be a force, his second contract will be a record for QB's annual salary that will stand for years - not sure he will need or want a third contract 

I expect to see Darnold and Rosen play in a Superbowl (maybe vs each other "Jets - Cards")

Mayfield will ignite Cleveland - not sure if that fire will be good or bad but something will burn 

Jackson will earn the starting job and be a good QB, not great, bad timing since it's the Ravens turn at the bottom of that division, Flacco signs with another team and wins another SB, Rex returns to implode the team, karma finally gives back to a team that left Cleveland in the middle of the night

Allen is what we thought he was and the Bills will move out of NY State (who will have no NFL team paying taxes thanks to their corrupt politicians -  karma for the West Side Stadium)

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I know, I’m just talking tongue in cheek tbh, but Rosen will be a guy who can dissect a defense if given the time and should be extremely good from the minute he steps on the field. I don’t love Arizona’s OL though, they have a worse situation than us and they just lost a reliable guy for the season...so having two injury prone QB’s in Rosen/Bradford doesn’t sound great. 

But if Rosen can stay healthy, he’ll be a beast. I have just come to like Darnold’s traits better.

Perfectly put. I do think Sam will own it when the pocket breaks down. Rosen will be much better off staying in the pocket. With both guys playing with less than stellar lines that very well could tip the early returns in Sams favor . 

The only thing I’ll change from pre draft is I had Mayfield edging Darnold, I think I bought a little too into the Mayfield hype. As I’ll try and claim objectively, I genuinely do like Darnold more and think I would even if Darnold ended up in say, Miami. I still like Rosen the most and am excited to see what Jackson does in a great situation in Baltimore.

My view is probably influenced by my being a bit of a homer.  I have watched every scrap of college tape from Darnold, not so much the others.  But this is how I see their pro careers.

Darnold     Fifteen+ year career.  A lot of turnovers his first year, dropping thereafter although, as a bit of a gunslinger, he will continue to throw INTs.  A string of division titles (much due to mediocre AFC east after Brady retires).  Multiple playoff appearances.  I think he will wind up on the periphery of the top 5 QBs in the league, but certainly top 10.  Maybe a Superbowl or two mixed in there, if the chips fall right.  Projected success is due to toughness, pocket instincts and presence, ability to throw accurately on the run, football smarts, dedication to and love for the game.  Less likely to get hurt than some of the others due to thick build, pocket awareness, willingness to slide and throw the ball away.

Mayfield   He is the toughest for me to try to predict.  His college tape is impressive.  But, in addition to his size, I'm not sure about his fire for the game (I didn't like to hear about his sleeping late or being late to practice already).  My gut is that he will be a pretty decent starter.  Nowhere near as good as Brees or Wilson.  And his size might end up being an issue.  I think his development also may be hindered by the organization he is playing for, as they are not known for developing QBs.  I think he will be moderately successful but that Darnold will be the better pro.

Rosen    I see it going a little like the career of the guy he is backing up (Bradford) without all the money.  I see a career with impressive streaks but an inability to stay on the field on a consistent basis.  I see him getting hurt due to slight build and lack of mobility.  These pros are fast and he had a lot of trouble staying on the field in college.

Jackson   This guy will make a really big splash, just like Michael Vick did.  Maybe not this year but maybe next?  I think he will be better than Vick was in his prime, due to even better speed, elusiveness, and strong arm.   But I don't think his prime will last for more than 4 or 5 years, as without his amazing elusiveness and speed he is just another guy.  And his wheels are going to get wobbly after all the hits he will eventually take running the ball.

Allen   This guy is both a stud and a dud.  He will continue what he did in high school, JUCO and college:  Occasional plays that will make your draw drop, displaying mobility, strength and a cannon arm.  But he will only start for two or three years, at most, because in today's NFL you can't rest your team for too long on a guy who has trouble throwing screens and short passes and only completes a little more than half his passes.  He will be the biggest disappointment of the bunch.

8 minutes ago, HessStation said:

The only thing I’ll change from pre draft is I had Mayfield edging Darnold, I think I bought a little too into the Mayfield hype. As I sit here not trying to claim objectively, I genuinely do like Darnold more and think I would even if Darnold ended up in say, Miami. I still like Rosen the most and am excited to see what Jackson does in a great situation in Baltimore.

I use to write off Jackson as fast as I could...but now that he’s settled in Baltimore and behind Flacco for a year or two, I think he’ll really benefit from having a guy who’s traits are the exact opposite from his.

Flacco is not a mobile guy and relies on his arm so I think Lamar can really do well off of seeing that is how the game has to be played on the pro level.

If I had to pick the most successful career of those guys right now I'd begrudgingly pick Josh Rosen.  All he needs to do is stay healthy....everything else seems like it will fall into place.  The worst....I'd go with Josh Allen.  All the other guys will be in between them, probably Darnold right up there with Rosen.

It's still pretty unreal to me that I believe the Jets got far and away the best QB in the draft, the one who will have the best career despite being drafted by the Jets. 

Mayfield's limitation is primarily the Browns, and I don't know if that can be overcome. But I like his accuracy and mobility a lot. This is the guy I thought the Jets were gonna wind up with, and I'd still like to see him pan out. 

I didn't like Rosen. He's the pin-point accuracy guy, but the questions about his durability, love of the game, "unconventional personality," and a lack of mobility (and accuracy that falls into the toilet when he tries to move) are all red flags. He never elevated his team at UCLA. I think he'll produce nice numbers as long as he can stay on the field, but the guy just doesn't scream "wins!" the way Darnold seems to. 

Allen will start most of his rookie contract but never reach his alleged potential. Mediocrity with unignorable flashes of brilliance that keep him in the starting line-up. The Bills will be looking for his replacement in four years, and Allen will struggle to land a backup job elsewhere. 

The Ravens are gonna be fun this year with Jackson taking plays away from Flacco to do some sort of wildcat thing. The fans are excited about him because he's the opposite of Flacco, but once he becomes the starter they'll probably soon miss having a more conventional QB. 

29 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If I had to pick the most successful career of those guys right now I'd begrudgingly pick Josh Rosen.  All he needs to do is stay healthy....everything else seems like it will fall into place.  The worst....I'd go with Josh Allen.  All the other guys will be in between them, probably Darnold right up there with Rosen.

That's a big IF .

It's hard to tell at this point. All of these guys, IMO, have high ceilings.

With Sam Bradford and Joe Flacco as starters, neither Josh Rosen or Lamar Jackson will probably see the field this season except during garbage times - and that's probanly the best situations for them. Josh Allen will struggle this year because he's a rookie gun slinger on a team bereft of talent (even less than the Jets). Mayfield's career probably will be in jeopardy after his rookie year simply because he's playing for the Browns. I'm still hoping the Jets take their time with Darnold given the thin offensive line he'll be playing behind, but if he does start, I honestly think he has the best chance of succeeding - and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Jets fan.

52 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

That's a big IF .

Agreed, but he's playing right now and has been full steam in camp.  I live about 5 miles from the Cardinals training facility in Tempe.....they can't stop talking about this guy locally.  But again, proof of the pudding....

Let's see all these QBs in preseason.  Will be very interesting.

Archived