Terrele Pryor vs Robbie Anderson: who will have the better season?

BornJetsFan1983

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Robbie runs every route in the book.  If you think he just runs go routes, you are just not paying close attention.  Or you are clueless about football.

agree.  he had 63 receptions last year, they all could not be go routes.

7 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Jet are the only team in the league with four 800 yard receivers. Just thought that was an interesting stat. Hopefully both will have big seasons. Pryor was over 1,0000 yards two seasons ago. Hopefully Anderson continues to improve.

I heard this before I thought is was 2 receivers over 900, Kearse + Robbie

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Kearse wont be a #1 ever. And Robby has done more than just go routes, we even had an entire thread analyzing each route he did good on.

he’s clearly not just a go route guy.

i don't know about that, he seemed like a 1 trick pony to me. Link the thread or it never happened lol. no seriously i want to read it.

5 hours ago, Stark said:

no i was saying once mccown got hurt his season sucked.. due to Qb play and what seemed like us giving up. the original post said robbie came of strong towards the finish of season, which is the part i was disagreeing with

Damn maybe i don't remember, I was just trying to say that the dude showed up and by the end of the season people were talking about him as a good receiver - albeit for the go route.

1 hour ago, jbt said:

agree.  he had 63 receptions last year, they all could not be go routes.

man I watched him play, the big plays were always go routes he out ran someone or they messed up coverage. He has some smaller stuff over the middle but he would drop crap when he was contested - that could be disgruntled Jets fan memory but I am pretty sure that the vast majority of professional talent evaluators would agree with me, that he as not shown his ability or made strong case that he is a legit number one that can do every route. I would love to see it though.

13 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Is either one our number 1 receiver? I personally am hoping that Pryor becomes the number one who continues drives with Robbie keeping defense honest covering him deep. If I can get say 10 TDs each from them, that would be great.

Pipe dream or could it happen? Pryor is coming off a horrible season, and it hard for me to believe that almost jet QB that was throwing the ball was the only problem. He legitimately stunk, plus his so called break out season wasn't even that good. Now Robbie is coming off a stronger towards the end finish, but let's be honest the kid really let us down on more than a few plays last year. 

Don't get me wrong but let's just say I'm glad we have that other guy kearse, not an all star but kid can play. 

I feel like our WR core will play out with all of them playing well, but I see Pryor or Robbie stepping out and taking that 1 spot.

10 TDs each?  Ridonkulous, dude.

I haven't used that word in years... but seriously.   I am a huge Robby fan.   But it is extraordinarily difficult for one player to reach 10 TDs.  Two on the same team?!?!

Even with Aaron Rodgers that is highly unlikely.

Ridonkulous.

20 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I haven't used that word in years... but seriously.   I am a huge Robby fan.   But it is extraordinarily difficult for one player to reach 10 TDs.  Two on the same team?!?!

Ridonkulous.

He had 7 last year with Petty playing the final quarter of the season. I think Robbie could do it.

Agreed that having two guys hit that mark is a pipe dream.

19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He had 7 last year with Petty playing the final quarter of the season. I think Robbie could do it.

Agreed that having two guys hit that mark is a pipe dream.

He could have a year like 77/1150/10.  I think Robby is going to be a star.  But I acknowledge the possibility for a regression statistically this season is equally likely... even if he improves as a player which I fully expect.  The reason is because I believe the Jets offense is being built to spread it around.  That, and Darnold seems like his favorite target is whichever guy is open.

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Ridonkulous.

In Ryan Fitzpatrick's remarkably overrated alleged career year with the NY Jets, Marshall had 14 TDs and Decker had 12. Not saying it's gonna happen this year, but there you go. 

10 hours ago, Stark said:

Robbies end of the season was awful once mccown got hurt. I think robbie is more of the #1 and Pryor, if anything more than a journeyman with physical gifts becomes the Redzone target.

This is my general feeling. I was pretty psyched about Pryor, but I've pulled back quite a bit. I think he's gonna make the team, but also that he'll be platooning at the #4 WR spot with Hansen. 

The larger issue with the Jets WRs is that Anderson, Kearse, Enunwa, and Pryor are all not under contract beyond 2018. Mac needs to get a couple of these guys' deals done during the year. Kearse, Anderson, and Enunwa would all be priorities for me. One of the valid criticisms of our GM is his failure to resign players before their value explodes. 

15 minutes ago, slats said:

In Ryan Fitzpatrick's remarkably overrated alleged career year with the NY Jets, Marshall had 14 TDs and Decker had 12. Not saying it's gonna happen this year, but there you go. 

Crazy stats.   I didnt realize those #s.  Fair point. 

18 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Robby is definitely a #1 WR. He has added more routes to his game. He is strong enough to get off the jam — showed it in practice today.

He has elite speed and ball tracking/body positioning skills. Robby is very gifted and he’ll definitely have the better season. 

Robby just has to have better offseasons lol...

Definitely a #1 WR in my book though. He’s an extremely dangerous weapon to have. Teams have to account for him.

This just crossed my mind while reading your post: could practicing against Trumaine Johnson expedite Robby’s development? Who was Robby going against in practice? 

11 hours ago, Lon chaney said:

Pryor is going to surprise a lot of people on here if he is healthy. The guy played one season at WR and had 77 catches for 1000 yards with Kessler and McCown throwing to him. He was injured last year. 

He is not washed up. At the very least he is a legit Red Zone threat. 

What do you have against McCown? That’s my Quarterback <harnessing my inner TO>

Just kidding. I hope he does surprise us. We have 4 compentent wide receivers and a possible in Hansen. Targets are going to be at a premium. 

7 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Ridonkulous.

How soon ye forgets 2015, the Jets no less. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2015.htm

The biggest stall in our team last year was Josh McCown, 4th qtr, in the redzone. 

If we could have a QB actually finish games, we would’ve won 10 games last year. This year, we have WRs spilling out of our depth chart, TEs that may actually hold onto the ball, and a rule change that will work in our favor.  If we could just start McCown for the first three qtrs of every game, and let Darnold come in as a “closer” we’d be playoff bound. And deep. 

7 hours ago, slats said:

This is my general feeling. I was pretty psyched about Pryor, but I've pulled back quite a bit. I think he's gonna make the team, but also that he'll be platooning at the #4 WR spot with Hansen. 

The larger issue with the Jets WRs is that Anderson, Kearse, Enunwa, and Pryor are all not under contract beyond 2018. Mac needs to get a couple of these guys' deals done during the year. Kearse, Anderson, and Enunwa would all be priorities for me. One of the valid criticisms of our GM is his failure to resign players before their value explodes. 

Paying Kearse makes a lot of sense. He's reliable, (should be) affordable, and exactly the type of Cotchery-esque dude that the Jets used to make the playoffs semi-consistently with. Landing Kearse in the Sheldon trade might actually be the slickest move of Mac's tenure.

Paying Anderson and Enunwa seem like remarkably dumb things to do which means we'll 100% do that.

13 hours ago, slats said:

Marshall and Decker were both prototypical red zone beasts.  Not saying Robby can’t someday do that but his game is more as possession receiver

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Marshall and Decker were both prototypical red zone beasts.  Not saying Robby can’t someday do that but his game is more as possession receiver

I don’t thing Robby is a red zone threat but he is the complete opposite of a possession receiver. He’s a game breaker capable of one or two big plays per game but otherwise relatively negligible. 

Kearse is our possession guy. Ultra reliable, gets open against any coverage, converts short/medium first downs at a strong confidence interval.

Unfortunately we don’t yet have a protypical red zone guy. Someone who can out-high point a ball or someone who can take up space and ‘box-out’ are generally what wins in the red zone.

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I don’t thing Robby is a red zone threat but he is the complete opposite of a possession receiver. He’s a game breaker capable of one or two big plays per game but otherwise relatively negligible. 

Kearse is our possession guy. Ultra reliable, gets open against any coverage, converts short/medium first downs at a strong confidence interval.

Robby gets pigeon holed by jets fans as a go route guy because he’s skinny and fast but he can run all the routes and doesn’t play scared

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Robby gets pigeon holed by jets fans as a go route guy because he’s skinny and fast but he can run all the routes and doesn’t play scared

No ones pigeon holeing anyone.

If you have a 3rd and 7 and need a first, are you looking at Kearse or Anderson?

Conversely, if you have a 1st and 10 and are looking for a shot play, are you looking at Kearse or Anderson?

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Paying Kearse makes a lot of sense. He's reliable, (should be) affordable, and exactly the type of Cotchery-esque dude that the Jets used to make the playoffs semi-consistently with. Landing Kearse in the Sheldon trade might actually be the slickest move of Mac's tenure.

Paying Anderson and Enunwa seem like remarkably dumb things to do which means we'll 100% do that.

Kearse should've been done already. If Enunwa comes back better than where he left off, I'd talk to him, too. I wouldn't want him to be more than a #3 or 4, but he's an asset. I forgot that Anderson will be a RFA, so he can wait. 

17 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

man I watched him play, the big plays were always go routes he out ran someone or they messed up coverage. He has some smaller stuff over the middle but he would drop crap when he was contested - that could be disgruntled Jets fan memory but I am pretty sure that the vast majority of professional talent evaluators would agree with me, that he as not shown his ability or made strong case that he is a legit number one that can do every route. I would love to see it though.

Wouldn’t go routes tend to be inherently bigger plays as opposed to slants and other underneath stuff?

21 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

No ones pigeon holeing anyone.

If you have a 3rd and 7 and need a first, are you looking at Kearse or Anderson?

I’d look at both. I just think it’s hilarious jets fans think Robby can run one route

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

No, Anderson stretches the field and keeps defenses honest. Opposing Ds don't want to safety blitz with him on the field.

On 8/8/2018 at 12:54 AM, Patriot Killa said:

Robby is definitely a #1 WR. He has added more routes to his game. He is strong enough to get off the jam — showed it in practice today.

He has elite speed and ball tracking/body positioning skills. Robby is very gifted and he’ll definitely have the better season. 

Robby just has to have better offseasons lol...

Definitely a #1 WR in my book though. He’s an extremely dangerous weapon to have. Teams have to account for him.

Anderson is not a strong WR and he is not good in traffic at all nor is he good on contested passes. hes a burner but as the league adjusts the becomes containable. Will be interesting to see if Robbie decides theres an entire game in the middle of the field. If Pryor is healthy he will easily put up better numbers due to his size alone

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Anderson is not a strong WR and he is not good in traffic at all nor is he good on contested passes. hes a burner but as the league adjusts the becomes containable. Will be interesting to see if Robbie decides theres an entire game in the middle of the field. If Pryor is healthy he will easily put up better numbers due to his size alone

You’ve lost your mind. No, he doesn’t have a big frame, No. he doesn’t look like he can get off jams at the LOS but he has easily shown he is strong enough to get off jams at the LOS. 

He has added plenty of other routes to his game and he isn’t “just a burner”.

That’s silly.

15 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I’d look at both. I just think it’s hilarious jets fans think Robby can run one route

If you’re looking at both on the same play, you’re taking a sack. 

It’s telling that you didn’t answer my second question, because you know the answer would weaken your argument. The correct answers are: you’d look at Kearse first when you need a first on 3rd and 7, and you’d look at Robby first if you’re looking to call a shot play on 1st and 10 from your own 35.

Stating that Robby is not a possession receiver is not slighting him. It’s a fact. He stretches the field and can hit a big play any time he’s on the field, but a possession guy he is not. Randy Moss also wasn’t a possession receiver, and he’s my favorite WR ever. Nothing wrong with knowing who you are and playing to your strengths. 

Archived