Terrele Pryor vs Robbie Anderson: who will have the better season?

BornJetsFan1983

On 8/8/2018 at 9:32 AM, Thai Jet said:

IMHO Robbie IS #1. I don't want to see Pryor cut. If he's healthy, and back to his old form, I think he, Robbie, Kearse and Hansen will make for a strong , dangerous unit.

^This.  I'm surprised people calling for Pryor to be a cut.  Before his getting cut, I'd like to see what kind of end zone target he can be for Darnold.  Could be just the kind of big end zone target who can reach over DBs.  Robbie Pryor Kearse for a starting 3 WR set.  May need to replace Robbie if a suspension becomes a thing. For that reason alone, you don't cut Pryor.   At least lets see what we got first.  

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/8/2018 at 6:55 PM, slats said:

This is my general feeling. I was pretty psyched about Pryor, but I've pulled back quite a bit. I think he's gonna make the team, but also that he'll be platooning at the #4 WR spot with Hansen. 

The larger issue with the Jets WRs is that Anderson, Kearse, Enunwa, and Pryor are all not under contract beyond 2018. Mac needs to get a couple of these guys' deals done during the year. Kearse, Anderson, and Enunwa would all be priorities for me. One of the valid criticisms of our GM is his failure to resign players before their value explodes. 

It makes sense to wait on Enunwa due to last year's neck injury.  It also makes sense to wait on Anderson because he's a knucklehead who may be facing a suspension.  If they explode, then they explode.  Cant go guaranteeing money right now to those two. 

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

You’ve lost your mind. No, he doesn’t have a big frame, No. he doesn’t look like he can get off jams at the LOS but he has easily shown he is strong enough to get off jams at the LOS. 

He has added plenty of other routes to his game and he isn’t “just a burner”.

That’s silly.

He is just a burner and he is not good fighting for the football and he is NOT the guy you can depend on to go over the middle to make that tough first down catch. He never was any of those things that define a Number 1 WR and he never will be. So no I have not lost my mind I'm just not the guy wearing the green glasses. 

All that being said it does not mean he can't improve on those things but I'm not sure his frame will allow it.

20 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

He is just a burner and he is not good fighting for the football and he is NOT the guy you can depend on to go over the middle to make that tough first down catch. He never was any of those things that define a Number 1 WR and he never will be. So no I have not lost my mind I'm just not the guy wearing the green glasses. 

All that being said it does not mean he can't improve on those things but I'm not sure his frame will allow it.

Randy Moss didn’t go over the middle.. since when does going over middle define you as a #1? 

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

yeah and Robbie Anderson is NOT Randy Moss

And going over the middle very much defines you as a number 1

It doesn’t . All that is preferred style of receiver. Jarvis Landry will go over middle all day While OBJ will not . Does that mean obj is not a true #1 or not better than Landry ? 

10 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

It doesn’t . All that is preferred style of receiver. Jarvis Landry will go over middle all day While OBJ will not . Does that mean obj is not a true #1 or not better than Landry ? 

I'm not sure what OBJ you're watching but he certainly goes over the middle.

Stop trying to redefine the position and stop making ridiculous comparisons to justify Robbie Anderson as a number 1 WR .... Hes not and never will be a number 1. 

Like I said I hope Robbie turns into a monster but from his body of work its obvious thats not going to happen he is simply not a complete WR 

15 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Anderson is not a strong WR and he is not good in traffic at all nor is he good on contested passes. hes a burner but as the league adjusts the becomes containable. Will be interesting to see if Robbie decides theres an entire game in the middle of the field. If Pryor is healthy he will easily put up better numbers due to his size alone

Watch the TD catch against the Panthers in the back of the end zone again.  Then rewatch it.  Then smash yourself in the mouth.

16 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Anderson is not a strong WR and he is not good in traffic at all nor is he good on contested passes. hes a burner but as the league adjusts the becomes containable. Will be interesting to see if Robbie decides theres an entire game in the middle of the field. If Pryor is healthy he will easily put up better numbers due to his size alone

I am not sure what receiver you have been watching.  You are letting your assumptions get the better of you.  

https://nypost.com/2018/07/20/its-all-there-for-robby-anderson-to-be-jets-devastating-playmaker/

Looking back at 2017: In his second season, Anderson became the Jets’ best offensive player. He showed he could do more than just run go routes and became a consistent player and a favorite target of quarterback Josh McCown.

Anderson led the team with 941 receiving yards and seven receiving touchdowns. He had 63 catches, second on the team. Anderson’s production dipped late in the season, but that could be attributed to McCown being out with a broken left hand.

Pro Football Focus ranked Anderson 44th out of the 118 receivers the site graded. He was their fourth-best receiver on deep passes. He had 12 catches of 20 yards or more.

Anderson’s speed remains his strength. It was common to see him just run by defenders last year who dared to play press coverage on him. But Anderson showed some improved route running in his second season and began to click with McCown midway through the year.

Outlook for 2018: The biggest question with Anderson has been his off-field legal issues, but those look like they are now resolved. His two arrests in the past 18 months ended with most of the charges being dismissed. He pleaded no contest to a reckless driving charge last month and received probation.

The NFL has yet to discipline Anderson or say he is cleared. With most of the charges being dismissed, Anderson could get away with no discipline from the league. If he gets anything, it would be a short suspension. It is hard to see it being more than one game for a misdemeanor.

On the field, the Jets are counting on Anderson to be their top playmaker. The Jets have some depth at wide receiver but are lacking that known No. 1 guy. If Anderson can keep his head on straight and make progress, he has shown the potential to be that guy.

Beyond the off-field arrests, Anderson must show more maturity on the field, too. He threw his helmet against the Dolphins, resulting in a penalty. He hammed it up for the TV cameras, begging for Pro Bowl votes. He pouted at times when he was not getting the ball. Anderson needs to mature to take the next step in his career.

Anderson will be a restricted free agent in 2019. It would be shocking if the Jets do not bring him back. But he might be able to entice another team to bid on him with a big season.

In case you missed this...

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Watch the TD catch against the Panthers in the back of the end zone again.  Then rewatch it.  Then smash yourself in the mouth.

then you can realize that's one catch not the entire body of work and smash yourself in the mouth for basing one catch as you're argument 

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I am not sure what receiver you have been watching.  You are letting your assumptions get the better of you.  

https://nypost.com/2018/07/20/its-all-there-for-robby-anderson-to-be-jets-devastating-playmaker/

Looking back at 2017: In his second season, Anderson became the Jets’ best offensive player. He showed he could do more than just run go routes and became a consistent player and a favorite target of quarterback Josh McCown.

Anderson led the team with 941 receiving yards and seven receiving touchdowns. He had 63 catches, second on the team. Anderson’s production dipped late in the season, but that could be attributed to McCown being out with a broken left hand.

Pro Football Focus ranked Anderson 44th out of the 118 receivers the site graded. He was their fourth-best receiver on deep passes. He had 12 catches of 20 yards or more.

Anderson’s speed remains his strength. It was common to see him just run by defenders last year who dared to play press coverage on him. But Anderson showed some improved route running in his second season and began to click with McCown midway through the year.

Outlook for 2018: The biggest question with Anderson has been his off-field legal issues, but those look like they are now resolved. His two arrests in the past 18 months ended with most of the charges being dismissed. He pleaded no contest to a reckless driving charge last month and received probation.

The NFL has yet to discipline Anderson or say he is cleared. With most of the charges being dismissed, Anderson could get away with no discipline from the league. If he gets anything, it would be a short suspension. It is hard to see it being more than one game for a misdemeanor.

On the field, the Jets are counting on Anderson to be their top playmaker. The Jets have some depth at wide receiver but are lacking that known No. 1 guy. If Anderson can keep his head on straight and make progress, he has shown the potential to be that guy.

Beyond the off-field arrests, Anderson must show more maturity on the field, too. He threw his helmet against the Dolphins, resulting in a penalty. He hammed it up for the TV cameras, begging for Pro Bowl votes. He pouted at times when he was not getting the ball. Anderson needs to mature to take the next step in his career.

Anderson will be a restricted free agent in 2019. It would be shocking if the Jets do not bring him back. But he might be able to entice another team to bid on him with a big season.

In case you missed this...

thanks for making my point hes ranked 44th out of 118 receivers ? Thats middle of the road not the monster most of the fan boys are making him out to be.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

then you can realize that's one catch not the entire body of work and smash yourself in the mouth for basing one catch as you're argument 

He made several contested catches.  Watch any 2017 highlight reel.  You have a sheep's mentality with this "one-trick pony" crap... that and/or selective memory.

I picked that one because it was one of the best catches of the year by any WR.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

thanks for making my point hes ranked 44th out of 118 receivers ? Thats middle of the road not the monster most of the fan boys are making him out to be.

He was year two.  TWO!  What did you expect...  him to be Julio Jones in his 2nd season with McCown and Petty?  He is going to be a star.

21 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

If you’re looking at both on the same play, you’re taking a sack. 

It’s telling that you didn’t answer my second question, because you know the answer would weaken your argument. The correct answers are: you’d look at Kearse first when you need a first on 3rd and 7, and you’d look at Robby first if you’re looking to call a shot play on 1st and 10 from your own 35.

Stating that Robby is not a possession receiver is not slighting him. It’s a fact. He stretches the field and can hit a big play any time he’s on the field, but a possession guy he is not. Randy Moss also wasn’t a possession receiver, and he’s my favorite WR ever. Nothing wrong with knowing who you are and playing to your strengths. 

Good quarterbacks can do more than one progression

22 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

No the point is he is not just running go routes and is STILL improving as an all around receiver.  I guess the fact that he stats went down once we lost McCown is not a factor in your thinking.   He still caught nearly 70 balls for just under 1,000 yards to go along with 7 tds.  All as an UDFA in his second year playing with a Journeyman QB.   Is it really that hard for you to give the kid his due?  

21 hours ago, RoadFan said:

He was year two.  TWO!  What did you expect...  him to be Julio Jones in his 2nd season with McCown and Petty?  He is going to be a star.

You beat me to it.  An UDFA in his second year puts up those numbers and he is complaining; unreal. 

48 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

No the point is he is not just running go routes and is STILL improving as an all around receiver.  I guess the fact that he stats went down once we lost McCown is not a factor in your thinking.   He still caught nearly 70 balls for just under 1,000 yards to go along with 7 tds.  All as an UDFA in his second year playing with a Journeyman QB.   Is it really that hard for you to give the kid his due?  

I've given him his due he is what he is.... The problem I have is people thinking he's a number 1 type WR .

I honestly hope the guy gets his head on straight and starts playing a more complete game . Last year he had a big problem early in the year hanging on to anything contested that improved late in the year when he made a few nice contested catches. "A few" does not make a number 1 WR I'm sorry but to think he's an all around type WR or even a go to receiver like most number 1's are when you can throw them the ball in traffic or in tight coverage and know he's got a good chance of coming down with the football is simply NOT what Robbie Anderson is and to think he is is just wishful thinking at this stage.

I'm not sure Ive ever seen the guy break a tackle. The go to guy on critical 3rd down conversions is and will remain Kearse not Anderson.

Anderson is the guy to take the top off the defense and those type guys are usually very inconsistent from year to year. They are always in the 70 catch range and are not relied upon to convert 1st downs . Robbie has his role and he does it well to this point but please lets not start mistaking him for a number 1 WR because he's very far from it.

I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong but I just dont think Anderson has the frame, the toughness, or the size to make that next step to a top 15 type guy

22 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I've given him his due he is what he is.... The problem I have is people thinking he's a number 1 type WR .

I honestly hope the guy gets his head on straight and starts playing a more complete game . Last year he had a big problem early in the year hanging on to anything contested that improved late in the year when he made a few nice contested catches. "A few" does not make a number 1 WR I'm sorry but to think he's an all around type WR or even a go to receiver like most number 1's are when you can throw them the ball in traffic or in tight coverage and know he's got a good chance of coming down with the football is simply NOT what Robbie Anderson is and to think he is is just wishful thinking at this stage.

I'm not sure Ive ever seen the guy break a tackle. The go to guy on critical 3rd down conversions is and will remain Kearse not Anderson.

Anderson is the guy to take the top off the defense and those type guys are usually very inconsistent from year to year. They are always in the 70 catch range and are not relied upon to convert 1st downs . Robbie has his role and he does it well to this point but please lets not start mistaking him for a number 1 WR because he's very far from it.

I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong but I just dont think Anderson has the frame, the toughness, or the size to make that next step to a top 15 type guy

You might be right.  But "#1" guys as you describe them are few and far between.  There are probably about 8 in a league of 32.   

A "#1" WR is also one of the most overrated pieces on an NFL roster.  They are not necessary to win a title.  In fact, one could argue that a diverse group of good WRs is better than one superstar and a cast of JAGs. 

The Robby "doesn't break tackles" comment is mostly true.  Maybe even virtually all true.  However, his speed and acceleration in the open field allows him to run away from would be tacklers on drag routes and slants.  While others may break one of those tackles, he blows by them. Who cares how he gets the YAC, as long as he gets it... 

47 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

You might be right.  But "#1" guys as you describe them are few and far between.  There are probably about 8 in a league of 32.   

A "#1" WR is also one of the most overrated pieces on an NFL roster.  They are not necessary to win a title.  In fact, one could argue that a diverse group of good WRs is better than one superstar and a cast of JAGs. 

The Robby "doesn't break tackles" comment is mostly true.  Maybe even virtually all true.  However, his speed and acceleration in the open field allows him to run away from would be tacklers on drag routes and slants.  While others may break one of those tackles, he blows by them. Who cares how he gets the YAC, as long as he gets it... 

I’d rather have 3-4 decent WRs than one great WR and a bunch of scrubs

15 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Not complaint ... Just not proclaiming him a no 1

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Does it really matter?  How many UDFA become starting wide receivers in this league ?  Whether he develops into a no 1 is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned as long as he continues to improve.  As it stands right now he is one of the most dangerous receivers in the league and that works for me. 

15 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I think people have different definitions of what they consider a “#1” WR.   Typically it’s the guy who plays the X position.  Those are your Julio Jones, Mike Evans guys.   Those are a rarer breed.  The Z guys are the flankers, Antonio Brown, OBJ types.   If your definition is the most productive guy is your #1 then that’s a different story.  IMO the most productive guy on the Jets this year will be Kearse.  He’s the best receiver on the team, best hands, best routes and best at getting open.  He will be Darnolds best friend in this offense.  

24 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think people have different definitions of what they consider a “#1” WR.   Typically it’s the guy who plays the X position.  Those are your Julio Jones, Mike Evans guys.   Those are a rarer breed.  The Z guys are the flankers, Antonio Brown, OBJ types.   If your definition is the most productive guy is your #1 then that’s a different story.  IMO the most productive guy on the Jets this year will be Kearse.  He’s the best receiver on the team, best hands, best routes and best at getting open.  He will be Darnolds best friend in this offense.  

You make a great point and this is why you just can't look at the Jets WRs and say the 5 "best" are going to make the 53 man..It's more the right 5 (or 6) based on the position they play ie X, Y, Z (slot)

16 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Have you actually watched Anderson?  

Please, give a reason why hes not tough enough or durables enough to be a 1.  What is wrong with his size? 

Hes very far from being a number 1?  LOL, he is a number 1, his performance says he is.  No matter how insignificant some seem think running fast, catching a lot of deep balls is or how common place that ability is to them.  

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

You make a great point and this is why you just can't look at the Jets WRs and say the 5 "best" are going to make the 53 man..It's more the right 5 (or 6) based on the position they play ie X, Y, Z (slot)

I don’t think the Jets have a true X, maybe Andersen but he doesn’t get off press coverage like you would want from an X.  Pryor could be, but he’s a bit of a question In terms of what he is physically able to do.  Enunwa is another guy who seems better at the flanker spot. The really good ones can be moved around and still be productive, it’s a position that the Jets have not done a good job of drafting at.  

On 8/8/2018 at 1:56 AM, Patriot Killa said:

And btw, he did have a break out season 7 touchdowns is nothing to sneeze at. He was the top deep threat in the league after being an UDFA on nobody’s radar.

and he would have done better if not for Petty

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

right on the money

On 8/12/2018 at 10:23 AM, sec101row23 said:

Sorry but I have do disagree with you on Kearse.  He is a good veteran receiver but he is not the best receiver on the team imho. Nor do think he has the best hands (what are you basing this on).  Before it is all said and done, Anderson and Pryor will be among his favorite targets.   They have freakish ability that Kearse simply does not possess.  In fact if healthy I take Enunwa over him.

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Sorry but I have do disagree with you on Kearse.  He is a good veteran receiver but he is not the best receiver on the team imho. Not do think he has the best hands (what are you basing this on).  Before it is all said and done, Anderson and Pryor will be among his favorite targets.   They have freakish ability that Kearse simply does not possess.  In fact if healthy I take Enunwa over him.

Anderson and Pryor do not have freakish ability.  That’s a typical fan vastly over-rating their own players.  Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Randy Mosss have freakish ability, nothing that Anderson or Pryor have done resembles those talents.  

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Anderson and Pryor do not have freakish ability.  That’s a typical fan vastly over-rating their own players.  Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, Randy Mosss have freakish ability, nothing that Anderson or Pryor have done resembles those talents.  

So guys who don't have "freakish" talent like a Marvin Harrison, DeAndre Hopkins, Brown etc aren't number 1s?  There's a lot wiggle room between Megatron and a lot of true number ones.  

Archived