Trade for Mack?

Greenseed4

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/08/nfl_trade_rumors_khalil_mack_to_jets_mike_maccagna.html

We can afford it. We need it. Mack is a proven asset to a defense starving for a pass rusher. Pairing him with our DL and revamped secondary could be a scary thing. 

Worth a 1st? If we can trade Teddy for a 2nd and get our OL there, this is a no brainer!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets' general manager went on ESPN New York on Wednesday afternoon and said that he adding an edge rusher or outside linebacker is "an area we're focused on."

Maccagnan added that - while the Jets have some in-house talent that could prove to be the answer - he's open to options on both the trade market and waiver wire to bolster those spots ahead of the season.

“It's a position that, again, we're looking at," Maccagnan said. "We definitely, like a lot of teams out there, are looking at any options to potentially improve ourselves, make ourselves more competitive. But, again, that will play itself out over the preseason."

With that said, one big name comes to mind as a potential trade option: Khalil Mack.

The Raiders' dominant defensive end is currently in a contract holdout as he looks to secure a long-term deal; the Raiders had picked up the fifth-year option on his rookie contract for this season. 

Mack isn't currently on the market - or at least the Raiders haven't made it publicly known that they're shopping him. But if Mack continues the holdout and the Raiders come to believe he truly won't play without securing a long-term, big-money deal - and aren't willing to cut that check - then a trade could come into play.

If that happens, Mack would make perfect sense for the Jets, who struggled to get pressure on the quarterback last season. They ranked 28th in the league with just 28 sacks during 2017.

Mack, meanwhile, collected 10 1/2 sacks last year and has posted double-digit sacks in each of the past three seasons.

I’d love Mack on this team since it fills a glaring need but I’d also like to put the pressure on Bowles and this coaching staff to make the most of things/scheme and save our draft picks/money. Rex never had a pass rusher and we don’t need a “great” defense any ways. All the other pieces are in place so it’s doable. 

We need to SPLURGE on FA O-line and need more value pass rushers if anything. Our cap space will go quick if we target 3 O-line in FA and a value pass rusher (Barr,Fowler,Ray). This allows draft flexibility for a true pass rusher or O-line stud.

The one good thing about not having a pass rusher is that we can give tons of different players a shot which expedites finding a diamond in he rough. Some guys just click or get it from playing time and if we can have someone emerge, Jenkins become a more complete OLB, then things will look great for next year. 

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’d love Mack on this team since it fills a glaring need but I’d also like to put the pressure on Bowles and this coaching staff to make the most of things/scheme and save our draft picks/money. Rex never had a pass rusher and we don’t need a “great” defense any ways. All the other pieces are in place so it’s doable. 

We need to SPLURGE on FA O-line and need more value pass rushers if anything. Our cap space will go quick if we target 3 O-line in FA and a value pass rusher (Barr,Fowler,Ray). This allows draft flexibility for a true pass rusher or O-line stud.

The one good thing about not having a pass rusher is that we can give tons of different players a shot which expedites finding a diamond in he rough. Some guys just click or get it from playing time and if we can have someone emerge, Jenkins become a more complete OLB, then things will look great for next year. 

If I’m Mac I offer the entire 2019 draft to Oakland for Khalil Mack

Willing to give up a 1, plus another 1 or 2 later picks.  But not two 1s for a guy that will need to be paid $100MM +.  That said, I can't see the Raiders letting him go.  A deal will get done eventually.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Willing to give up a 1, plus another 1 or 2 later picks.  But not two 1s for a guy that will need to be paid $100MM +.  That said, I can't see the Raiders letting him go.  A deal will get done eventually.

There’s no way the raiders let Mack go unless Son of Al goes crazy.  Even ok pass rushers don’t ever hit free agency

That said if we offer the farm for Mack I could see Son of Al possibly taking the bait

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If I’m Mac I offer the entire 2019 draft to Oakland for Khalil Mack

I was just giving my opinion but it’s not like it’s a BAD move at all. It’s not realistic and I’m looking at realistic alternatives. If we pull it off, I would still be happy just not getting hopes up and looking at the “cons” of the deal. 

Although....Gruden seems to be on a mission to destroy the Raiders so anything is possible I guess. 

I would be against chasing this , IMO any and all draft capitol we have the next 2 years should be invested in surrounding Darnold with as much talent as possible ..starting with O Line . 

4 minutes ago, freestater said:

I hear ya. The ultimate point of the draft is to end up with a guy like Mack anyways

While you are 100% correct about the point of the draft, the bigger question is do we have options to address pass rusher in FA, and keep our pick to take a LT? 

If Mack does eventually report (he would be giving up $13.8 million if he doesnt), then next year the raiders could franchise him, keeping the price to acquire him equally high so if we tried to acquire him in the 2018 offseason, i dont see the price dropping.

The other thing is Gruden is very much attached to veteran players, so I dont know if there is a way to add a player (skrine, clairborne, jennkins) and possibly recoup a 3rd for our first to allow us to have some sort of pick in 2019.  

The best hope we have for negotiating anything is for Teddy to light it up tomorrow night and give Mac another chip

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I was just giving my opinion but it’s not like it’s a BAD move at all. It’s not realistic and I’m looking at realistic alternatives. If we pull it off, I would still be happy just not getting hopes up and looking at the “cons” of the deal. 

Although....Gruden seems to be on a mission to destroy the Raiders so anything is possible I guess. 

What did Gruden do to mess up the raiders besides give Hackenclown a 10 day contract before cutting him?

4 minutes ago, Jolot said:

I would be against chasing this , IMO any and all draft capitol we have the next 2 years should be invested in surrounding Darnold with as much talent as possible ..starting with O Line . 

Have you seen Mac’s drafts?

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

What did Gruden do to mess up the raiders besides give Hackenclown a 10 day contract before cutting him?

I guess not much yet but I have this weird vibe that he is already meddling with GM issues, the Mack contract issue is insane considering pass rushers should always be a premium, thought I heard he was shaking up things too much, etc. Plus, I just don’t like the guy and think that he’s overrated and going to show that with this new coaching run and getting “too cute” with things.

I also admit that I don’t know much about that dumpster fire in Oakland because I focus on the one thats right here with our beloved Jets. 

57 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't love surrendering a first-rounder+ and paying a $100M+ contract for a single player, no matter how good he might be. That leaves the Jets waiting until the third round (unless they trade that, too) to make their first pick next year, on a team that still has some holes to fill. 

If they do make a deal, it had better be contingent on Mack signing long term. I'd read somewhere that one of the sticking points for him was that he wanted the bulk of his money to come after the team moves from California to Nevada - dropping his state income tax rate from over 10% to 0%. Apparently, Gruden has his contract set up this way. Mack won't love New Jersey taxes. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't love surrendering a first-rounder+ and paying a $100M+ contract for a single player, no matter how good he might be. That leaves the Jets waiting until the third round (unless they trade that, too) to make their first pick next year, on a team that still has some holes to fill. 

If they do make a deal, it had better be contingent on Mack signing long term. I'd read somewhere that one of the sticking points for him was that he wanted the bulk of his money to come after the team moves from California to Nevada - dropping his state income tax rate from over 10% to 0%. Apparently, Gruden has his contract set up this way. Mack won't love New Jersey taxes. 

Normally, I would agree.  You do not rebuild a young team by trading #1 picks -- they are too valuable.  Chance to get an elite player under team control on an affordable deal; rebuild through the draft.  For Mack, I would be willing to make an exception.  2 biggest needs for this team are OL and Edge.  If we can move a #1 and solve for edge, getting a guy we know is one of the 4 or 5 best edge rushers in the league, with the amount of cap space we have, I am willing to do that in this case.

But I still think it is a huge long shot -- hadn't read the part about the taxes, but I still think Raiders and Mack get a deal done.  Mack to the Jets is a pipe dream.

Convert the bulk of Bridgewater's salary to signing bonus and pay him the vet minimum in P5 salary.  Trade 2019 3rd, Bridgewater (who the Raiders then get for vet minimum cap and cash), and 2020 1st for Mack.  Pay Mack his money for his prime years, which will occur while the Jets have Darnold at a relative discount.  Use the 1st in 2019 to draft a franchise LT.

Championship.

1 hour ago, freestater said:

I hear ya. The ultimate point of the draft is to end up with a guy like Mack anyways

The ultimate point of the draft is to end up with a guy like Mack who's 21 years old and plays at a reasonable price for 4-5 years before you have to pay him a mega-deal.

1 minute ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Not that I’m sure I’m against it

but they are saying next years draft is the best for edge rushers in decades

Jets need a franchise type LT and franchise type pass rusher.  Can only draft one of those in the first next year, which means the other will need to be solved via trade or FA.  I don't care which, and neither ever becomes available in FA, so "trade for Mack, keep the 2019 1st, draft a left tackle" is a perfectly acceptable plan to me.

3 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Convert the bulk of Bridgewater's salary to signing bonus and pay him the vet minimum in P5 salary.  Trade 2019 3rd, Bridgewater (who the Raiders then get for vet minimum cap and cash), and 2020 1st for Mack.  Pay Mack his money for his prime years, which will occur while the Jets have Darnold at a relative discount.  Use the 1st in 2019 to draft a franchise LT.

Championship.

I don't know if the Raiders bite at this, but I'd be down. 

There’s only 3 positions I’d ve willing to give up a first for: QB / Edge / LT. You need all in the current NFL. When you can possibly get one of those positions locked witha player who is in his prime and top 3 at the position, you don’t overrate draft potential.

Plus you don’t have to pay Darnold top QB $ for about 5 years so now is the time to load up on premium positions.

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

The ultimate point of the draft is to end up with a guy like Mack who's 21 years old and plays at a reasonable price for 4-5 years before you have to pay him a mega-deal.

Yes and no.  That's nice, but unnecessary when you have a franchise QB on a rookie deal, because even if you spend 20M on a pass rusher, your total "passrusher + QB" spend will still be below league average for competent players.  Darnold's "low price" window makes trading a draft pick for Mack a no brainer

6 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Jets need a franchise type LT and franchise type pass rusher.  Can only draft one of those in the first next year, which means the other will need to be solved via trade or FA.  I don't care which, and neither ever becomes available in FA, so "trade for Mack, keep the 2019 1st, draft a left tackle" is a perfectly acceptable plan to me.

Yeah I agree

but no way you are getting Mack without giving up that 1

1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

Yes and no.  That's nice, but unnecessary when you have a franchise QB on a rookie deal, because even if you spend 20M on a pass rusher, your total "passrusher + QB" spend will still be below league average for competent players.  Darnold's "low price" window makes trading a draft pick for Mack a no brainer

That's still the point of the draft.  That we may have the wiggle room to make a trade like this and pay the salary doesn't change that.  I wouldn't hate the move, but personally, in a year where we don't have a 2, I wouldn't do it.  I don't follow college exceptionally closely, but at least one of Bosa, Ferrell, or Jackson should be available when we pick.

2014 draft we still have Winters (3rd), and Quincy (7th). Would you rather have just Mack? YOUR DAMN RIGHT! 

You put a good team together with a franchise QB, you can fill out ur roster with veteran team players that want to win. Pats have been doing it for years. 

If you draft him you get him for five years at reasonable money.  If you trade for him at 27, you not only give up the draft pick(s) but you pay BIG bucks and he will start to decline on this contract.   If he was 25 it would be a no-brainer.  But at 27, it's a closer call.

Archived