Greenseed4

Trade for Mack?

Convert the bulk of Bridgewater's salary to signing bonus and pay him the vet minimum in P5 salary.  Trade 2019 3rd, Bridgewater (who the Raiders then get for vet minimum cap and cash), and 2020 1st for Mack.  Pay Mack his money for his prime years, which will occur while the Jets have Darnold at a relative discount.  Use the 1st in 2019 to draft a franchise LT.

Championship.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Not that I’m sure I’m against it

but they are saying next years draft is the best for edge rushers in decades

Jets need a franchise type LT and franchise type pass rusher.  Can only draft one of those in the first next year, which means the other will need to be solved via trade or FA.  I don't care which, and neither ever becomes available in FA, so "trade for Mack, keep the 2019 1st, draft a left tackle" is a perfectly acceptable plan to me.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

The ultimate point of the draft is to end up with a guy like Mack who's 21 years old and plays at a reasonable price for 4-5 years before you have to pay him a mega-deal.

Yes and no.  That's nice, but unnecessary when you have a franchise QB on a rookie deal, because even if you spend 20M on a pass rusher, your total "passrusher + QB" spend will still be below league average for competent players.  Darnold's "low price" window makes trading a draft pick for Mack a no brainer

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Yeah I agree

but no way you are getting Mack without giving up that 1

Like I said - you offer the 2020 1 plus other assets (2019 3rd and Bridgewater, or some other mix).  Just can't deal the 2019 1 given no 2 already

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It should be crazy that a fanbase that sat through the Mike Tannenbaum era can sit back and jizz themselves over the idea of trading multiple 1st rounders for the right to pay $100 million to anyone, but it's not. We suck.

There's a major difference between trading or overpaying for end-of-the-line or mediocre veterans (Faneca, Kendall, Pace, Burress, Holmes, etc.), while your QB is average or below at best (Pennington, Sanchez) and trading for an established elite passrusher and paying market value when you have what you think is a true franchise guy on a rookie contract.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I’m pretty damn stunned that so many are in favor of this.

Yeah, he’s a damn good passrusher...but how the hell are we improving the offense around Darnold with no picks until the 3rd round next year?

Anyone take a look at the free agent OT crop next offseason? It’s sh*t. Same for the receivers set to hit FA. On the flip side, there are 5-6 1st round graded OT’s set to declare for the draft next year. And you can bet your ass that I want one of them.

So we land Mack but we’re still surrounding Darnold with the likes of Kelvin Beachum, Quincy Enunwa, James Carpenter, Brian Winters, etc for the foreseeable future?

F*ck that noise

Rex was able to field Top 3 defenses in 2009/2010 with Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas as his top edgerushers. Bowles’ goofy ass should at least be able to field a Top 10 unit with the talent we have presently.

Helping out Darnold and the offense should be Macc’s (or whoever) top priority for at least the next 2-3 offseasons.

I’ll be livid if we’ve finally landed the franchise QB we’ve spent damn near my entire life searching for, only to neglect the hell out of the OL and skill positions surrounding him. That’s SOJ to the max.

Can't deal that 1st round pick for just that reason.  Need to draft a LT.  But the receiving corps we have right now is damn good.  Even without a true number 1 gamebreaker type, it's got 4 quality #2 types, two of whom (Anderson and Pryor) have shown 1A capability in the past.  People are sleeping on this WR group and it's dumb

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t think the receiving corps is terrible...but they’re no better than league average. And can you really count on guys like Enunwa and Pryor to stay healthy?

I totally agree with the mindset that you don’t need a dynamic #1 like Julio Jones or Antonio Brown to field a capable offense, but I think you need a bit more than what we currently have.

I think you can, yes - at least 1 of them.  Neither are "chronic injury" guys; Enunwa took a vicious hit and Pryor broke his ankle, but those things happen.  The odds are good that 3 of our top 4 WRs make it through the season healthy, and that's fine.  And the WR corps is a lot better than league average.  I mean, they're easily the best WR group in the division.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company