Trade for Mack?

Greenseed4

On 8/10/2018 at 1:06 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

My main reluctance is that the "well the pick might not be worth much anyways" angle is exactly why we all jerked off all over ourselves with things like the Braylon Edwards and Marshall deals. There is so, so, so much precedent here for staying away from these types of moves.

Think about it this way, all of the reasons for not doing something like this are based on real life, albeit anecdotal, evidence. All of the reasons for doing it are based in theory. Why bother? The team isn't going to collapse if it doesn't trade away for Khalil Mack. The team isn't going to collapse if it busts on another first rounder. But the team is definitely going to experience a large vacuum of pigeon poo if it trades away valuable assets for Mack and the move goes South. We know all of this from the last 10 years. It's all happened. No need to relive it.

I hear ya, but if it's no big deal if they bust on a first rounder (particularly if it's a top 10 pick) then the difference between a bust pick and a bust veteran traded for that pick is all in one's head.

Yeah there's a price difference but a team that's pissed away some quarter of a billion in player salaries since 2015 shouldn't be pissing on about an extra $20m or less to take a shot on a healthy, known-quantity, stud edge rusher in his playing prime, when those types are ultra rare to find via FA.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

I hear ya, but if it's no big deal if they bust on a first rounder (particularly if it's a top 10 pick) then the difference between a bust pick and a bust veteran traded for that pick is all in one's head.

Yeah there's a price difference but a team that's passed away some quarter of a billion in player salaries since 2015 shouldn't be pissing on about an extra $20m or less to take a shot on a healthy, known-quantity, stud edge rusher in his playing prime, when those types are ultra rare to find via FA.

Exactly Khalil Mack is a proven NFL commodity that we desperately need, he improves this entire defense and team. 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah there's a price difference but a team that's passed away some quarter of a billion in player salaries since 2015 shouldn't be pissing on about an extra $20m or less to take a shot on a healthy, known-quantity, stud edge rusher in his playing prime, when those types are ultra rare to find via FA.

So we suck in both FA and in drafting, so **** it all anyways? You're killing Independent George here pal.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Opportunities arise sometimes and you have to take them. In this instance its Khalil Mack. 

You've been sitting in front of a computer for something like 15 years and you still don't know how to use the copy and paste function. I don't think you're one to be lecturing about opportunities.

24 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You've been sitting in front of a computer for something like 15 years and you still don't know how to use the copy and paste function. I don't think you're one to be lecturing about opportunities.

Child please I haven't been the one posting links to unknown sources here in months maybe more than a year. 

Take your argument elsewhere son not interested in your or your bullsh*t on this forum. 

Stick to talking football and stop the personal attacks. 

My opportunity to IGNORE you a SOJF is now a reality. GOODBYE 

You've chosen to ignore content by RutgersJetFan.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Child please I haven't been the one posting links to unknown sources here in months maybe more than a year. 

Take your argument elsewhere son not interested in your or your bullsh*t on this forum. 

My opportunity to IGNORE you is now a reality. GOODBYE 

252.jpg

On 8/10/2018 at 7:30 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm against trading our #1 (and some) for Mack.  Our main focus should be to protect Darnold and also get him weapons.  If the Jets were further along in their SB quest then you could argue he'd be the "Charles Haley to the Cowboys" type move.  Darnold is a rookie though and the Jets have other holes.  This doesn't feel like the right fit at all.

On 8/10/2018 at 7:37 AM, Scoop24 said:

I would much rather get the sure fire elite talent .. than hoping we hit on a OLinemen in the draft next year ..  

I agree with this. While we definitely need elite Oline help I think this team  can become a playoff contender this year without Mack. Even if they fall short and only win 7-8 games, you aren't finding an elite OL talent in the middle of the first round. 

The only negative to trading for Mack is that you will still have to pay him a fortune 20+ per year. But with a franchise QB on a rookie deal for a while we can afford to pay big bucks for a player at a position (edge rusher) that gets the most $ outside of QBs. 

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

My opportunity to IGNORE you a SOJF is now a reality. GOODBYE 

sh*t got real

21 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

The Raiders don't want Leonard Williams , or any defenselineman . That is clearly the strength of their defense.    The Raiders aren't trading K Mack this year.     Let's see De's 1. k Mack, 2. Bruce Irvin- fulltime De now,3  Arden Key( has been impressive)4.  Tank Carridine,5.  Fadol Brown( Brown's GM said they thought about stealing off Raiders practice squad last year. ( will be trade offers for him 6.  DT Justin Ellis ,7.  M Hurst, 8 Pj Hall6'1 310 4.7 36 Bp 38 ' vertical 9. Mario Edwards Jr10.  Ed Vanderdoes 11 Treyvon Hester .  Probably keep 9 and at the most 10.  Probably comes down to F Brown and Carradine for roster spot.   T Hester probably loses out to Vanderdoes( if He proves healthy.   Hester will be on someone else 53 man roster.

Raiders hit the jackpot in this years draft with Pj Hall, Arden Key, and M Hurst. ( Raiders expect all to have impact this year). 

The Raiders can suck my dick.

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The Raiders can suck my dick.

Hey I like you, so here is what I'm going to do for you.   The Raiders will trade the Jets S Calhoun , and James Cowser .( cost you only late day draft pick). There is your pass rushers, and it doesn't cost a number 1 pick.

11 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Hey I like you, so here is what I'm going to do for you.   The Raiders will trade the Jets S Calhoun , and James Cowser .( cost you only late day draft pick). There is your pass rushers, and it doesn't cost a number 1 pick.

I like you, too. The Raiders can still suck my dick.

If Khalil Mack becomes available, Jets should be interested

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0810%2Fr412824_1 With the Raiders and Khalil Mack at an impasse, would it make sense for the Jets to swoop in with a trade offer? Kyle Ross/Icon Sportswire

RICHMOND, Va. -- A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. Macc and Mack: General manager Mike Maccagnan got his quarterback. Now he needs to find someone to get to the opponent's quarterback.

While the addition of Sam Darnold filled a big hole in the Jets' rebuilding puzzle, it will never be complete until they add a formidable pass-rusher on the edge. My advice to Maccagnan: Call the Oakland Raiders.

In case you haven't heard, the Raiders and star pass-rusher Khalil Mack are locked in a contract dispute. Mack, due to make $13.8 million in the the final year of his contract, is holding out of training camp, reportedly seeking at least $20 million per year. There's no evidence to suggest the Raiders have put him on the trading block, but that doesn't mean the Jets can't place a phone call.

Will they? I wouldn't be surprised if they do. The Jets have a proactive front office (see: the trade up for Darnold) and they're always looking for ways to improve the roster. No matter what Todd Bowles says publicly, the organization recognizes that outside linebacker is its biggest need. Jordan Jenkins is a competent first- and second-down player against the run, but there's no one who can rush from the edge. Their current leading sacker at the position is David Bass (3.5 sacks last season), and he might not make the team. It's hard to run a 3-4 defense without a "rush" linebacker.

Mack, the 2016 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, would elevate the Jets' defense to another level. He's had 36.5 sacks over the past three seasons and he's still only 27 years old, which means he still has a few prime years left.

What are the chances he will get traded? It's unlikely. Two NFL executives told me the Raiders would be dumb to trade Mack, whom they can control for three years -- this year, plus two franchise tags. If they put him on the block, they'd demand at least a first-round pick. This is one of those two-pronged situations because any team that wants Mack would have to agree to trade compensation with the Raiders and negotiate a long-term contract with the player -- and it's not easy to pull that off.

The Jets have $16 million in cap room this year and a league-high $82 million next year, according to overthecap.com. So, yes, they could absorb a huge contract, especially with only one potentially big deal on the horizon (Leonard Williams). The draft-pick compensation might be tough for them to swallow, considering they're already without a second-round choice in 2019 (the Darnold trade), but my take is this: Would you find a better pass-rusher than Mack in next year's draft? Probably not.

Maccagnan told ESPN New York radio that upgrading the pass rush is "an area we're focused on," saying he will explore possible trades and waiver-wire pickups throughout the preseason. Forget the waiver wire; if a player like Mack becomes available, you pounce.

Make the call, Mike.

2. Marked man: The Jets flew to Richmond after Friday night's preseason opener and will hold joint practices with the Washington Redskins starting Sunday. The teams will cap the week Thursday night with a game at FedEx Field.

The Jets haven't conducted a joint practice since 2005, when they met the New York Giants in Albany, New York. That was a memorable day, marked by several fights and a shouting match between Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson and Giants coach Tom Coughlin. In 1988, they scrimmaged the Redskins at Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania. I'll never forget the sight of Mark Gastineau's actress girlfriend, Brigitte Nielsen, emerging from a white stretch limo that had driven up to the Jets' sideline in the middle of the scrimmage. Ah, yes, good times.

These Jets-Redskins sessions also could get chippy because Redskins linebacker Zach Brown put a target on Terrelle Pryor in June, saying the defense will "have it out" for their former teammate. Let's just say Pryor wasn't Mr. Popularity on the 2017 Redskins. They believed he was coddled by the coaching staff and was too much of a showman in practice.

For the most part, Pryor has laughed off the trash talk, although he did deliver one salvo.

"If they take dirty shots, I'm sure we'll handle that accordingly," he said last week.

Pryor versus Josh Norman should be a fun watch.

3. Goal in Richmond: Coach Todd Bowles said the focus in the joint practices will be on the young players, seeing how they react to different competition and new schematic looks.

"You get tired of going up against the same offensive and defensive schemes, and they're a very good football team and they have a lot of things they do well," Bowles said. "It will be a good test for some of the guys that won't play a lot in the game next Thursday."

4. The other rookie: Darnold has been grabbing all the headlines, but the Jets do have other rookies in camp, you know. One of them -- tight end Chris Herndon -- has a chance to be an immediate contributor. Sorry, I don't have a stat on this (you're shocked, I know), but he has to be among their leading receivers in practice. He dropped to the fourth round because of a late-season knee injury at Miami.

Former tight end Anthony Becht, who has attended a few practices in his role as the new color analyst on the Jets' preseason telecasts, said Herndon has the ability to play both tight-end spots -- in-line (the Y position) and flex (F). In other words, he can block and catch.

"He can be productive in both roles," said Becht, who suspects Herndon would've been a second-round pick if it hadn't been for the knee injury. "To me, that's the key in the NFL now. You have to be able to do everything at every position.

"The kid's a good player. He's very explosive. I think he's a playmaker in the passing game. He can do all those things and, unlike a lot of the tight ends coming out, he can be an in-line blocker, too. When you can get a little bit of both and yet you're still predominantly a pass-catching tight end, that's key."

Herndon sat out Friday night because of "a couple of bruises" from practice, according to a tight-lipped Bowles. This bears watching.

5. No "Madden" love: The folks who create the player ratings for the Madden video game evidently don't expect much from Darnold this season. Here's how they ranked the rookie quarterbacks:

For what it's worth, I think the Jets' top three was Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield.

6. Sad stories: The recent passing of coach Tony Sparano triggered thoughts of his one season with the Jets, 2012, when he served as offensive coordinator for Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow & Co. A quick review of the roster uncovered this chilling fact:

Three members of that team are dead: Running back Joe McKnight was murdered in 2016, tight end Konrad Reuland died of a brain aneurysm in 2016 and Sparano died of heart disease at age 56.

7. The last word: "David Harris: Married with kids. Couldn't hang out with him. Can't relate. Demario [Davis]: Married with kids. Couldn't hang out with him. Can't relate. Avery, he's 26 and young. Not married. I'm like, 'Man, I'm not married, either. Let's hang out.'" -- linebacker Darron Lee on how he's developing chemistry with Avery Williamson, compared to previous middle linebackers.:lol:

Mack is a win now move. Is this a win now team? Oddly enough, such a trade brings you to wonder how much what the braintrust thinks of Bowles. If this club were to make this trade and find itself in screaming distance of a playoff spot, arguably hard to fire Bowles off that. Would they rather have Darnold take his inevitable lumps now with a 5-7 win team and start fresh next year with a new coach and keep your top pick or grab the brass ring right now, possibly saving a bad coach's job?  

30 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

The Jets have $16 million in cap room this year and a league-high $82 million next year, according to overthecap.com. So, yes, they could absorb a huge contract, especially with only one potentially big deal on the horizon (Leonard Williams). The draft-pick compensation might be tough for them to swallow, considering they're already without a second-round choice in 2019 (the Darnold trade), but my take is this: Would you find a better pass-rusher than Mack in next year's draft? Probably not.

Yes and no. They have way more than "only one potentially big deal on the horizon" except the author is only looking at this through the narrow lens of current Jets draft picks and rostered veterans.

In 2019 there are "potentially big deals" at any of the following positions, either based upon performance this season or due to currently-scheduled contract openings at: WR, TE, LT, LG, C, RG, RT, DE-DT, EDGE DE/OLB, NT, CB, NB. It won't be at all these positions, of course, because $82m isn't enough to hand out big deals at each of these positions even if he wanted to. Plus hopefully there are more young/rostered players who step up to negate these needs in 2019.

One of the more interesting things this year will be Lee's performance in determining if he's worth the 5th year option. Right now I'd say no, since he's not shown he's worth $10m for 1 more season (nor an extension with that rate as the average). They'll have to make that decision before the draft, though they can rescind it if they draft his replacement right after that or at any time before the 2020 season officially begins in March, so long as he isn't injured. They'll have Lee either way for 2019, barring something unexpected occurring, so they won't be making any long-term $$$ investment on that front.

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Mack is a win now move. Is this a win now team? Oddly enough, such a trade brings you to wonder how much what the braintrust thinks of Bowles. If this club were to make this trade and find itself in screaming distance of a playoff spot, arguably hard to fire Bowles off that. Would they rather have Darnold take his inevitable lumps now with a 5-7 win team and start fresh next year with a new coach and keep your top pick or grab the brass ring right now, possibly saving a bad coach's job?  

If he was a RB I'd agree with you. But since the only way someone makes this move is because they plan on having him play at or near this level for at least 3 seasons, it's more than that.

Plus he'd better be thinking win-now by next year at the very latest. We get only 4 seasons with Sam at this rate before his salary alone balloons up by another $25m/year. It's a hell of a lot harder to do when he's making more than $30m each year instead of $30m spread over 4 years. They won't be able to afford any more Mo, Revis, etc. deals when that happens. 

Last reason, frankly, is because you make this deal when it's available. While I get the argument that it'd be more ideal to make such a move in 2019, such an option likely won't be there. How often does an elite edge rusher at age 27 become available (if Mack is even available now)? Last one I can really remember was 10 years ago when Minnesota traded for Jared Allen, who was 1 strike away from a season-long suspension and still commanded a mid-1st round pick plus a pair of 3rd rounders in that draft.  

For true edge rushers (not merely someone playing under the DE label like Leo), here are the others for the past 5 offseasons combined:

• Calais Campbell = turned 31 before he played 1 game for his new team, and despite his sack number last year he was never considered the demon edge rusher Mack is and has been.
  • Olivier Vernon = excellent player but not quite in Mack's tier, and still commanded $15m/year a couple seasons ago
  • Bruce Irvin = was entering his age-29 season when Seattle let him go, plus he's also never been in Mack's tier
  • Greg Hardy = only hit FA because of his off-field scumbaggery
  • McPhee = not near Mack's class of edge rusher
  • Orakpo = closest on this list, but had missed 2 of his last 3 seasons with Washington and was 29 in his first year with Tennessee. Has been healthy since leaving Washington, but hasn't been in any DPOY conversations.
  • Ware = was 32 when Denver got him and was coming off his worst season statistically, with only 6 sacks. In his prime Dallas never considered letting him go. 
  • Michael Johnson = meh. Had that one double-digit sack season in his mid-20s, but bfd; Calvin Pace had one in his mid-30s and that didn't make him a demon edge rusher.
  • Lamarr Houston = more meh. If you want one of these it shouldn't be that hard to draft one without investing a 1st rounder. He started half of 1 season for the Bears before he was relegated to only situational and backup duty. 
  • Jared Allen Part II = was 32 when Chicago got him and played nothing like the player he was previously, and retired before he turned 34.

It doesn't happen. Teams just don't let guys like Mack go at his age, and the probability is Oakland isn't letting him go (but only they know what they're thinking, so it's certainly worth a call). You get him when you can, if you can. 

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

If Khalil Mack becomes available, Jets should be interested

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0810%2Fr412824_1 With the Raiders and Khalil Mack at an impasse, would it make sense for the Jets to swoop in with a trade offer? Kyle Ross/Icon Sportswire

RICHMOND, Va. -- A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. Macc and Mack: General manager Mike Maccagnan got his quarterback. Now he needs to find someone to get to the opponent's quarterback.

While the addition of Sam Darnold filled a big hole in the Jets' rebuilding puzzle, it will never be complete until they add a formidable pass-rusher on the edge. My advice to Maccagnan: Call the Oakland Raiders.

In case you haven't heard, the Raiders and star pass-rusher Khalil Mack are locked in a contract dispute. Mack, due to make $13.8 million in the the final year of his contract, is holding out of training camp, reportedly seeking at least $20 million per year. There's no evidence to suggest the Raiders have put him on the trading block, but that doesn't mean the Jets can't place a phone call.

Will they? I wouldn't be surprised if they do. The Jets have a proactive front office (see: the trade up for Darnold) and they're always looking for ways to improve the roster. No matter what Todd Bowles says publicly, the organization recognizes that outside linebacker is its biggest need. Jordan Jenkins is a competent first- and second-down player against the run, but there's no one who can rush from the edge. Their current leading sacker at the position is David Bass (3.5 sacks last season), and he might not make the team. It's hard to run a 3-4 defense without a "rush" linebacker.

Mack, the 2016 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, would elevate the Jets' defense to another level. He's had 36.5 sacks over the past three seasons and he's still only 27 years old, which means he still has a few prime years left.

What are the chances he will get traded? It's unlikely. Two NFL executives told me the Raiders would be dumb to trade Mack, whom they can control for three years -- this year, plus two franchise tags. If they put him on the block, they'd demand at least a first-round pick. This is one of those two-pronged situations because any team that wants Mack would have to agree to trade compensation with the Raiders and negotiate a long-term contract with the player -- and it's not easy to pull that off.

Maccagnan told ESPN New York radio that upgrading the pass rush is "an area we're focused on," saying he will explore possible trades and waiver-wire pickups throughout the preseason. Forget the waiver wire; if a player like Mack becomes available, you pounce.

Make the call, Mike.

2. Marked man: The Jets flew to Richmond after Friday night's preseason opener and will hold joint practices with the Washington Redskins starting Sunday. The teams will cap the week Thursday night with a game at FedEx Field.

The Jets haven't conducted a joint practice since 2005, when they met the New York Giants in Albany, New York. That was a memorable day, marked by several fights and a shouting match between Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson and Giants coach Tom Coughlin. In 1988, they scrimmaged the Redskins at Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania. I'll never forget the sight of Mark Gastineau's actress girlfriend, Brigitte Nielsen, emerging from a white stretch limo that had driven up to the Jets' sideline in the middle of the scrimmage. Ah, yes, good times.

These Jets-Redskins sessions also could get chippy because Redskins linebacker Zach Brown put a target on Terrelle Pryor in June, saying the defense will "have it out" for their former teammate. Let's just say Pryor wasn't Mr. Popularity on the 2017 Redskins. They believed he was coddled by the coaching staff and was too much of a showman in practice.

For the most part, Pryor has laughed off the trash talk, although he did deliver one salvo.

"If they take dirty shots, I'm sure we'll handle that accordingly," he said last week.

Pryor versus Josh Norman should be a fun watch.

3. Goal in Richmond: Coach Todd Bowles said the focus in the joint practices will be on the young players, seeing how they react to different competition and new schematic looks.

"You get tired of going up against the same offensive and defensive schemes, and they're a very good football team and they have a lot of things they do well," Bowles said. "It will be a good test for some of the guys that won't play a lot in the game next Thursday."

4. The other rookie: Darnold has been grabbing all the headlines, but the Jets do have other rookies in camp, you know. One of them -- tight end Chris Herndon -- has a chance to be an immediate contributor. Sorry, I don't have a stat on this (you're shocked, I know), but he has to be among their leading receivers in practice. He dropped to the fourth round because of a late-season knee injury at Miami.

Former tight end Anthony Becht, who has attended a few practices in his role as the new color analyst on the Jets' preseason telecasts, said Herndon has the ability to play both tight-end spots -- in-line (the Y position) and flex (F). In other words, he can block and catch.

"He can be productive in both roles," said Becht, who suspects Herndon would've been a second-round pick if it hadn't been for the knee injury. "To me, that's the key in the NFL now. You have to be able to do everything at every position.

"The kid's a good player. He's very explosive. I think he's a playmaker in the passing game. He can do all those things and, unlike a lot of the tight ends coming out, he can be an in-line blocker, too. When you can get a little bit of both and yet you're still predominantly a pass-catching tight end, that's key."

Herndon sat out Friday night because of "a couple of bruises" from practice, according to a tight-lipped Bowles. This bears watching.

5. No "Madden" love: The folks who create the player ratings for the Madden video game evidently don't expect much from Darnold this season. Here's how they ranked the rookie quarterbacks:

For what it's worth, I think the Jets' top three was Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield.

6. Sad stories: The recent passing of coach Tony Sparano triggered thoughts of his one season with the Jets, 2012, when he served as offensive coordinator for Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow & Co. A quick review of the roster uncovered this chilling fact:

Three members of that team are dead: Running back Joe McKnight was murdered in 2016, tight end Konrad Reuland died of a brain aneurysm in 2016 and Sparano died of heart disease at age 56.

7. The last word: "David Harris: Married with kids. Couldn't hang out with him. Can't relate. Demario [Davis]: Married with kids. Couldn't hang out with him. Can't relate. Avery, he's 26 and young. Not married. I'm like, 'Man, I'm not married, either. Let's hang out.'" -- linebacker Darron Lee on how he's developing chemistry with Avery Williamson, compared to previous middle linebackers.:lol:

Lee is coming out, maybe he will start playing better.

Jaguars just suspended Dante Fowler and Jalen Ramsey for a week. Hard to believe that Fowler isn’t available for relatively cheap. Even though he’s typical UF trash, he’d instantly be the best edge rusher on the Jets. Getting him out of Florida might be enough to keep him focused.

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jaguars just suspended Dante Fowler and Jalen Ramsey for a week. Hard to believe that Fowler isn’t available for relatively cheap. Even though he’s typical UF trash, he’d instantly be the best edge rusher on the Jets. Getting him out of Florida might be enough to keep him focused.

Trade for both of them in a package deal. 

Dante Fowler - DL -  Jaguars

Jaguars suspended DE Dante Fowler for one week of preseason activities for "fighting and violation of team rules".

Teammate Jalen Ramsey was simultaneously suspended for "violating team rules and conduct unbecoming of a Jaguars’ football player". Ramsey took to Twitter to defend Fowler and tweet his disdain towards the local media Sunday morning. Both will miss the next week of camp and Saturday's contest against the Vikings.
Related: Jaguars

Aug 12 - 7:27 PM
Jalen Ramsey - DB -  Jaguars

The Jaguars suspended CB Jalen Ramsey for one week of preseason activities for "violating team rules and conduct unbecoming of a Jaguars’ football player".

Ramsey tweeted his disdain for the local media and how he believes they unfairly treated teammate Dante Fowler, stating "if y’all want war, we got sum for y’all" and "#LameAssReporters". It's clearly just a slap on the wrist from the club in hopes Ramsey sticks to football moving forward. He'll miss the next week of camp, including Saturday's contest versus the Vikings.

NFL trade rumors: Giants, Jets among favorites to land Raiders' Khalil Mack | Updated Vegas odds

Updated Posted 
Oakland Raiders defensive end Khalil Mack (52) against the Los Angeles Rams during an 2017 NFL preseason football game in Oakland.  (Ben Margot/AP Photo)
Oakland Raiders defensive end Khalil Mack (52) against the Los Angeles Rams during an 2017 NFL preseason football game in Oakland. (Ben Margot/AP Photo)

By Joe Giglio

jgiglio@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

A blockbuster NFL trade could be on the way.

With the relationship between the Oakland Raiders and star pass rusher Khalil Mack trending in the wrong direction, the possibility of a trade is out there. If Oakland and Mack can't come to an agreement on a new contract, Mack could be gone before the midseason trade deadline.

While every team would be eager to land a 27-year-old premier pass rusher, favorites have begun to emerge--with the Giants and Jets looming as threats.

According to MyBookie.AG, the Green Bay Packers are the favorites to workout a trade for Mack before the 2018 NFL trade deadline. Check out the full list of odds, including where the potential for a Giants or Jets deal exists.

Packers: 3/1

Raiders: 4/1

Jets: 7/1

Bills: 7/1

Redskins: 7/1

Steelers: 10/1

Giants: 10/1

Any other team: 4/1

The isn't the first time the Jets have been rumored around Mack. With a general manager, Mike Maccagnan, that has prioritized high-end defensive players with premium picks, a deal for a player like Mack would be on brand. The Jets could create a dynamic and dominant defense with Mack, Leonard Williams, Darron Lee and Jamal Adams.

For the Giants, the lack of a true edge pass rusher could derail any hopes of competing for the postseason in 2018. If a Mack deal became available, the Giants would likely jump at a trade that could land the perfect pass rusher to a new 3-4 scheme.

Mack has registered 40.5 career sacks since debuting in 2014.

Anthony Barr - LB -  Vikings

Vikings LB Anthony Barr said he "absolutely" wants to remain with the team longterm.

Barr will make $12.3 million in 2018, the final year of his contract. Although the team could opt to franchise tag him before he hits the open market, he would become a free agent If he doesn’t sign an extension by March. He sat out in Saturday's preseason opener versus Denver but coach Mike Zimmer said Barr's absence had "nothing to do with his contract situation." LB Eric Kendricks, DE Danielle Hunter, and Stefon Diggs were all given extensions this offseason, leaving Barr as Minnesota's top priority moving forward.
Related: Vikings

Source: Pioneer Press 
Aug 14 - 8:00 PM

This Mack thing is still a topic hey?

Let's see--

• cost; 2 first round picks (meaning we don't pick until the 3rd next year)
  • contract; he's going get a trillion dollar extension
  • age; already 27 years old

Close, but pass... i'll take 2/3, but all 3? meh

53 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This Mack thing is still a topic hey?

Let's see--

• cost; 2 first round picks (meaning we don't pick until the 3rd next year)
  • contract; he's going get a trillion dollar extension
  • age; already 27 years old

Close, but pass... i'll take 2/3, but all 3? meh

He would not cost 2 1st round picks. Hell, I bet if he’s traded it’s not even for a 1st at all. 

On 8/12/2018 at 3:13 PM, Bugg said:

Disagree.  Mack is still relatively young and this is the nfl things change quickly we went from 4-12 in ‘07 to almost Super Bowl in ‘09

8 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

DeMarcus Lawrence is playing on the franchise tag this year, and with Dak coming due, I don't see how the Cowboys can afford him. Might be smarter to overpay for Lawrence in FA than overpay for Mack in cash AND multiple draft picks.

Or just get both

Archived