Trade for Mack?

Greenseed4

Khalil Mack is the best pass rusher in the league right now, surpassing Von Miller, Bosa is up there too but Mack can DO IT ALL. 

Jets defense would be NASTY with Khalil Mack, especially if Nathan Shepard BEASTS. NASTY!!!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

If you draft him you get him for five years at reasonable money.  If you trade for him at 27, you not only give up the draft pick(s) but you pay BIG bucks and he will start to decline on this contract.   If he was 25 it would be a no-brainer.  But at 27, it's a closer call.

The guy has a good chance of wearing a gold jacket when all said and done. Utilizing the cap space we have while our FQB is still on his rookie contract is what that kind of space is for. Edge, or LT. That's where I'd spend it. 

It’s definitely enticing and I would be pumped if we landed him. Our defense would be nasty.

With that said, he should get paid $20 mil per and it’ll cost us our first round pick.

As much as I’m hoping for a good year by the Jets, we are likely picking in the top 10 of a draft that will have pass rushers, LTs and QBs at the top of the draft. A couple WR standout also. So we will likely get a player at an impact position and a position of need. Or some team decides to give us a ton to get a QB.

Free Agency is going to be tough route as we learned this year. However, players like Shaq Mason and Anthony Barr are likely going to be available. I’d rather keep our first with the hopes of signing those two guys and getting a LT in the first round. 

With that said, if news broke that the Jets are trading a first for Mack, I would be excited.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

If I’m Mac I offer the entire 2019 draft to Oakland for Khalil Mack

Go all Mike Ditka/Ricky Williams on the Raiders... No thanks. I'd prefer to build through the draft. You can draft an impact rusher if you actually target them and not pay 20 million a year to a rusher. Drafting a guy like Mauldin does not count as targeting a pass rusher either. 

13 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

generally, i don't like these threads whih are , eseentially, absolute fantasy.

waste of time.

yup.  Mack would be fun to get, but the odds that Oakland trades him or even lets him walk after the season are so low that this whole thread is likely just programmatic with little to no chance of materializing.

2 hours ago, freestater said:

The guy has a good chance of wearing a gold jacket when all said and done. Utilizing the cap space we have while our FQB is still on his rookie contract is what that kind of space is for. Edge, or LT. That's where I'd spend it. 

Me too. We could actually get excited every time the opposing QB drops back. Rather than go ,” ahhh dammit!” 

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

yup.  Mack would be fun to get, but the odds that Oakland trades him or even lets him walk after the season are so low that this whole thread is likely just programmatic with little to no chance of materializing.

We could say the same about getting Sam in the draft last year. Not sure it equates, but we could certainly say it. 

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It should be crazy that a fanbase that sat through the Mike Tannenbaum era can sit back and jizz themselves over the idea of trading multiple 1st rounders for the right to pay $100 million to anyone, but it's not. We suck.

Probably same guys that haven’t had a legitimate edge rusher since John Abraham. Same damn ones who hated him when he was here for being soft and not playing when he was hirthurt. Deserve what they get theydo. 

I’m pretty damn stunned that so many are in favor of this.

Yeah, he’s a damn good passrusher...but how the hell are we improving the offense around Darnold with no picks until the 3rd round next year?

Anyone take a look at the free agent OT crop next offseason? It’s sh*t. Same for the receivers set to hit FA. On the flip side, there are 5-6 1st round graded OT’s set to declare for the draft next year. And you can bet your ass that I want one of them.

So we land Mack but we’re still surrounding Darnold with the likes of Kelvin Beachum, Quincy Enunwa, James Carpenter, Brian Winters, etc for the foreseeable future?

F*ck that noise

Rex was able to field Top 3 defenses in 2009/2010 with Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas as his top edgerushers. Bowles’ goofy ass should at least be able to field a Top 10 unit with the talent we have presently.

Helping out Darnold and the offense should be Macc’s (or whoever) top priority for at least the next 2-3 offseasons.

I’ll be livid if we’ve finally landed the franchise QB we’ve spent damn near my entire life searching for, only to neglect the hell out of the OL and skill positions surrounding him. That’s SOJ to the max.

30 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

F*ck that noise

Rex was able to field Top 3 defenses in 2009/2010 with Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas as his top edgerushers. Bowles’ goofy ass should at least be able to field a Top 10 unit with the talent we have presently.

Helping out Darnold and the offense should be Macc’s (or whoever) top priority for at least the next 2-3 offseasons.

I’ll be livid if we’ve finally landed the franchise QB we’ve spent damn near my entire life searching for, only to neglect the hell out of the OL and skill positions surrounding him. That’s SOJ to the max.

Yup! Every single word. I think Coffee in Hand knows this as well. Getting Darnold with that trade bought him time as long as he doesn't butt fumble. He just has to build an offense around Darnold now. Next summer should be the year of the Oline.

5 hours ago, TeddEY said:

That's still the point of the draft.  That we may have the wiggle room to make a trade like this and pay the salary doesn't change that.  I wouldn't hate the move, but personally, in a year where we don't have a 2, I wouldn't do it.  I don't follow college exceptionally closely, but at least one of Bosa, Ferrell, or Jackson should be available when we pick.

Thing is, if Maccagnan looking at this Jets team thinks this is a 5-7 win team at worst, those guys are not going to be there. 

On the one hand, it’s extremely hard to find another Khalil Mack, even when you have a top-3 pick. On the other hand, the Jets will have a top-3 pick next year with tons of cap space and might want to hang onto both to attract a new coach and GM. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

On the one hand, it’s extremely hard to find another Khalil Mack, even when you have a top-3 pick. On the other hand, the Jets will have a top-3 pick next year with tons of cap space and might want to hang onto both to attract a new coach and GM. 

And next years draft is loaded with edge rushers; Bosa, Ferrell, Davis, Lawerence, Jackson, Gary - are probably all top 10 picks. 

So get ready for Ed Oliver, baby!

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It's not the concept of landing Khalil Mack that's the problem. Far from it. We've been through this literally twice over the past ten years. Trading picks away, especially picks that land you good talent on the cheap, for high priced talent compounds several problems on top of each other. Most notably the long-term sustainability of the team to compete. The shelf life of these guys is so circumstantial and when you engage in this type of stuff you have overpriced talent coming in, all the money going out, and nothing remotely viable coming in otherwise. There's no backup plan and it causes the team to fill the rest of the roster with low probability players and eventually the roster crashes out.

Trading the second rounders away to land a top QB prospect was fine. That's the one thing you do that sh*t for. Otherwise it's not worth it. And this isn't theoretical either. The Jets have been through this several times over and it's one of the primary reasons (along with absolute dogsh*t drafting) as to why they're about to have their 8th season in a row without a playoff appearance.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's not the concept of landing Khalil Mack that's the problem. Far from it. We've been through this literally twice over the past ten years. Trading picks away, especially picks that land you good talent on the cheap, for high priced talent compounds several problems on top of each other. Most notably the long-term sustainability of the team to compete. The shelf life of these guys is so circumstantial and when you engage in this type of stuff you have overpriced talent coming in, all the money going out, and nothing remotely viable coming in otherwise. There's no backup plan and it causes the team to fill the rest of the roster with low probability players and eventually the roster crashes out.

Trading the second rounders away to land a top QB prospect was fine. That's the one thing you do that sh*t for. Otherwise it's not worth it. And this isn't theoretical either. The Jets have been through this several times over and it's one of the primary reasons (along with absolute dogsh*t drafting) as to why they're about to have their 8th season in a row without a playoff appearance.

This makes sense to me. Going through the scenarios, it’s just too much to give up a first round pick. Keep the 1st and keep plugging away in free agency. This team is lined up to be a playoff team is year 3 of Darnold. 

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It should be crazy that a fanbase that sat through the Mike Tannenbaum era can sit back and jizz themselves over the idea of trading multiple 1st rounders for the right to pay $100 million to anyone, but it's not. We suck.

There's a major difference between trading or overpaying for end-of-the-line or mediocre veterans (Faneca, Kendall, Pace, Burress, Holmes, etc.), while your QB is average or below at best (Pennington, Sanchez) and trading for an established elite passrusher and paying market value when you have what you think is a true franchise guy on a rookie contract.

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I’m pretty damn stunned that so many are in favor of this.

Yeah, he’s a damn good passrusher...but how the hell are we improving the offense around Darnold with no picks until the 3rd round next year?

Anyone take a look at the free agent OT crop next offseason? It’s sh*t. Same for the receivers set to hit FA. On the flip side, there are 5-6 1st round graded OT’s set to declare for the draft next year. And you can bet your ass that I want one of them.

So we land Mack but we’re still surrounding Darnold with the likes of Kelvin Beachum, Quincy Enunwa, James Carpenter, Brian Winters, etc for the foreseeable future?

F*ck that noise

Can't deal that 1st round pick for just that reason.  Need to draft a LT.  But the receiving corps we have right now is damn good.  Even without a true number 1 gamebreaker type, it's got 4 quality #2 types, two of whom (Anderson and Pryor) have shown 1A capability in the past.  People are sleeping on this WR group and it's dumb

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This

And for as good as Mack is, that Raiders defense has still been dogsh*t the entire time he’s been there. It’s not like he’s been some transcendent player who has transformed them into a top tier unit.

He’s a damn good player, but I don’t see him as a huge impact passrusher like Miller, Bosa or especially a healthy J.J. Watt.

No way you trade a 1st (much less multiple 1sts) and hand out a contract averaging $20+ million a year to this guy when you’re a young team trying to build stability around a talented young QB.

I get that everyone wants a stud passrusher, but it sure as hell shouldn’t take precedent over protecting your prized QB and giving him some legit weapons to work with.

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This

And for as good as Mack is, that Raiders defense has still been dogsh*t the entire time he’s been there. It’s not like he’s been some transcendent player who has transformed them into a top tier unit.

He’s a damn good player, but I don’t see him as a huge impact passrusher like Miller, Bosa or especially a healthy J.J. Watt.

No way you trade a 1st (much less multiple 1sts) and hand out a contract averaging $20+ million a year to this guy when you’re a young team trying to build stability around a talented young QB.

I get that everyone wants a stud passrusher, but it sure as hell shouldn’t take precedent over protecting your prized QB and giving him some legit weapons to work with.

Mack is awesome. Pay him a gazillion dollars. Great. Fine. Take that shot. The Jets certainly have the money. But do it in free agency. You do not trade picks away for the right to hand out that sort of deal. That is a recipe for disaster.

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Can't deal that 1st round pick for just that reason.  Need to draft a LT.  But the receiving corps we have right now is damn good.  Even without a true number 1 gamebreaker type, it's got 4 quality #2 types, two of whom (Anderson and Pryor) have shown 1A capability in the past.  People are sleeping on this WR group and it's dumb

I don’t think the receiving corps is terrible...but they’re no better than league average. And can you really count on guys like Enunwa and Pryor to stay healthy?

I totally agree with the mindset that you don’t need a dynamic #1 like Julio Jones or Antonio Brown to field a capable offense, but I think you need a bit more than what we currently have.

As great as Mack is, my biggest fear is not having an o-line around Darnold. We need those picks to help build that line up otherwise Darnold's career could wind up just like Andrew Lucks. 

That said, I'd be all for throwing money at a top tier pass rusher in FA next year. As someone had mentioned earlier, it's easier to spend that money now when your QB is on a rookie deal. 

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Mack is awesome. Pay him a gazillion dollars. Great. Fine. Take that shot. But do it in free agency. You do not trade picks away for the right to hand out that sort of deal. That is a recipe for disaster.

I agree

If he were to somehow hit FA, then make him the highest paid defender in the league. We’re set to have around $109 million to play with next offseason and we need to spend a nice sum of it somewhere. And looking at next years FA class, the OL and WR positions are thin as hell. Jared Veldheer and Cole Beasley are probably the top OT and WR set to hit the market.

But the trading 1st round picks bullsh*t is where people completely lose me on this.

LT needs to be the absolute highest priority next offseason. Hell, the offensive line, period. And there are some really nice OT prospects set to enter next years draft. And there’s no damn way that I want to be stuck not picking until the 3rd round while they all get snatched up within the first 30-40 picks.

Archived