Sign in to follow this  
The Gun Of Bavaria

LOST (Merged 13X)

I proposed a sure fire method to prevent the plane from taking off to a fellow Lostie earlier:

Simply repaint the aircraft into the current Delta Airlines paint scheme and the thing would be guaranteed to never get off the ground.

yes but having jacob be good seems so obvious and LOST is not obvious..

i am just hoping it doesnt turn into a deluded psychotic dream of hurleys in the psych ward. reminiscent of st. elsewhere.. but no snowglobe....

but speaking of which..

where is the polar bear? :lol:

And that very well can be true.

While the possibilites of what the island is have been numerous. There have been several constants.

War.

Good vs Evil.

Kind of a hiding in plain sight.

I proposed a sure fire method to prevent the plane from taking off to a fellow Lostie earlier:

Simply repaint the aircraft into the current Delta Airlines paint scheme and the thing would be guaranteed to never get off the ground.

Only time I ever flew on Delta, I had a 20 hour delay! :mad0222:

And does anyone think it's possible that Widmore and Daniels mother used to be Jacob and MIB? Like I mean not them, but like in their place controlling the island. Just one of my friends brought it up and it got me thinking.

Only time I ever flew on Delta, I had a 20 hour delay! :mad0222:

And does anyone think it's possible that Widmore and Daniels mother used to be Jacob and MIB? Like I mean not them, but like in their place controlling the island. Just one of my friends brought it up and it got me thinking.

IDK.

I think there are two possible premises of the island.

It is, as Jacob's analogy onthe last show described, a place to keep evil from reaching the rest of the world.

Or

As the last episode of last season might have suggested, it is a weird bet/test were the god like Jacob and MIB seek an answer to the human condition.

I think it is closer to the former and Widmore, Ben, and whomever else has been to the island are pawns to serve/protect Jacob from MIB.

Well, what did everyone think?

I loved it until the last 5 minutes. I would have fully understood the "Everyone is Dead" thing, right up until Penny, who was never on the island, and Rose & Hubby, who never died, were at the church.

So I get it most of it but am still confused about why Jack has a son in purgatory... is he seeing himself as a kid?

Powerful ending... didn't expect it to be such a downer.

So I get it most of it but am still confused about why Jack has a son in purgatory... is he seeing himself as a kid?

Powerful ending... didn't expect it to be such a downer.

Definitely powerful and fitting. I felt the show creators wanted to show that they cared as much for the characters as the audience did. All the recognition scenes were like saying, "we're there with you." It wasn't an FU to the audience like what happened to the Sopranos.

As to your question, Locke told Jack he didn't have a son. We can assume that everyone in Flashsideways (Purgatory) was dead or a figment in the mind of someone who was dead.

So the child wasn't Jack as a kid. IMO, the son represented the life Jack didn't get to lead because he died on the Island. He dies alone (except for the dog) after saving the island. He goes to Purgatory and lives a normal life as if the plane never crashed. It's the life he would have lead, could have lead. It's what kept him grounded there and never searching for the chance to move on.

To me, that's why Jack was one of the last to have the recognition. Others died before him, but Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, etc. died years after but they had already had their recognition. They likely all constantly thought of Jack and waited for him when they died in old age. Jack, however, had created another life for himself in purgatory and would have gone on that way until he had his recognition and decided to move on.

What do you make of Penny and a few other characters at the church who didn't "Die" being there.? You're saying that had died years later after the time we had known, but that it still took Jack many years afterward to get to where they were?

Edited by G.O.B.

What do you make of Penny and a few other characters at the church who didn't "Die" being there.?

They are all dead, but they didn't all die at the same time. Jack's father told him that, remember?

Kate could be 80 years old when she dies. But when she's in Purgatory, she is as she was on the Island. Jack's father mentioned that the time on the Island was the pivotal point in their lives. It's something that unites them.

It's a classic view to the afterlife that the show creators adhered to. We see it in other stories. It could be a war movie where the survivors live to old age but when they die they are are young and reunited with their war buddies.

You're saying that had died years later after the time we had known, but that it still took Jack many years afterward to get to where they were?

Time isn't linear in Purgatory. Someone can die in 1945 and another in 2006 and both would be there at the same time with the one dying in 1945 not being in Purgatory for over 50 years. It could seem like a minute or a year. That's the way we've seen it in other stories.

The "waiting" for Jack had to do more for recognition rather than the passage of time itself.

Consider this. Purgatory was set in 2004 as if the plane never crashed. Sun & Jin are having a child as they were back then. But they both die in 2007, but in Purgatory they are their 2004 selves.

Time isn't linear in Purgatory. Someone can die in 1945 and another in 2006 and both would be there at the same time with the one dying in 1945 not being in Purgatory for over 50 years. It could seem like a minute or a year. That's the way we've seen it in other stories.

The "waiting" for Jack had to do more for recognition rather than the passage of time itself.

Consider this. Purgatory was set in 2004 as if the plane never crashed. Sun & Jin are having a child as they were back then. But they both die in 2007, but in Purgatory they are their 2004 selves.

There were alot of characters that did die like Michelle Rodrigez character but she was still a cop in purgatory so I guess she had not realized she was dead yet.

this was pretty much my take on it.

There were alot of characters that did die like Michelle Rodrigez character but she was still a cop in purgatory so I guess she had not realized she was dead yet.

this was pretty much my take on it.

The only thing I can think of is like Micheal made mention of a few weeks back, he (the voices) are people were are sort of "stuck on dead" and can't move on so to speak.

Definitely powerful and fitting. I felt the show creators wanted to show that they cared as much for the characters as the audience did. All the recognition scenes were like saying, "we're there with you." It wasn't an FU to the audience like what happened to the Sopranos.

As to your question, Locke told Jack he didn't have a son. We can assume that everyone in Flashsideways (Purgatory) was dead or a figment in the mind of someone who was dead.

So the child wasn't Jack as a kid. IMO, the son represented the life Jack didn't get to lead because he died on the Island. He dies alone (except for the dog) after saving the island. He goes to Purgatory and lives a normal life as if the plane never crashed. It's the life he would have lead, could have lead. It's what kept him grounded there and never searching for the chance to move on.

To me, that's why Jack was one of the last to have the recognition. Others died before him, but Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, etc. died years after but they had already had their recognition. They likely all constantly thought of Jack and waited for him when they died in old age. Jack, however, had created another life for himself in purgatory and would have gone on that way until he had his recognition and decided to move on.

This. I'm surprised to be reading elsewhere people completely missing the point. It was beautifully done IMO. It left one side of the coin completely open ended and open to our interpretation. The other side gave us closure and the touching moments many people desire in a finale.

This. I'm surprised to be reading elsewhere people completely missing the point. It was beautifully done IMO. It left one side of the coin completely open ended and open to our interpretation. The other side gave us closure and the touching moments many people desire in a finale.

Is it just me or maybe I am just a big softee but the soundtrack especially at the end always makes me tear up -- I can be emotional but the ending I had tears coming down.

nah I am just a weenie

I think we're saying the same thing. It's Jack seeing himself as a kid and getting to do the things he was unable to ie have a relationship with his father, choose the career path he wants (music instead of medicine) etc...

Is it just me or maybe I am just a big softee but the soundtrack especially at the end always makes me tear up -- I can be emotional but the ending I had tears coming down.

nah I am just a weenie

No, the soundtrack to the series is phenomenal. I definitely feel that it perfectly captures the moment.

The only thing I can think of is like Micheal made mention of a few weeks back, he (the voices) are people were are sort of "stuck on dead" and can't move on so to speak.

this is it... Michael and the Michelle Rodriguez character did bad things while alive. They weren't in the church because I believe their fate was to languish in purgatory... the whispers are others like them.

I think we're saying the same thing. It's Jack seeing himself as a kid and getting to do the things he was unable to ie have a relationship with his father, choose the career path he wants (music instead of medicine) etc...

Not really, though.

When a man has a bad relationship with his father (like Jack did), that man want's to be a father to have the best of both worlds--(1) he can be the father his own father never was and (2) live vicariously through his child, especially a son.

So I don't believe the son was Jack. It was something that allowed Jack to fullfill 1 and 2 above, something he was denied because he died on the Island.

Jack never had closure with his father, so he created closure in Purgatory by imagining he had a son. At the end, though, he does have closure with his father.

nah I am just a weenie

I teared up just about every time the characters "remembered" (and we now know they knew they were dead).

the end was the worst... I'm lame too.

this is it... Michael and the Michelle Rodriguez character did bad things while alive. They weren't in the church because I believe their fate was to languish in purgatory... the whispers are others like them.

I think perhaps they had to look for the forgiveness that John gave Ben. Once Ben got that he could have gone inside, but chose not to as perhaps he didn't want to let go of his "reality". With the way Hugo spoke to him, I have to assume he sort of redeemed himself as the #2 man on the island.

I teared up just about every time the characters "remembered" (and we now know they knew they were dead).

Empathy sucks.

Not really, though.

When a man has a bad relationship with his father (like Jack did), that man want's to be a father to have the best of both worlds--(1) he can be the father his own father never was and (2) live vicariously through his child, especially a son.

So I don't believe the son was Jack. It was something that allowed Jack to fullfill 1 and 2 above, something he was denied because he died on the Island.

Jack never had closure with his father, so he created closure in Purgatory by imagining he had a son. At the end, though, he does have closure with his father.

This was my thoughts as to why Jack has a son. He is able to reach out to him and fix his relationship with his son, like his father was never able to do with him.

Not really, though.

I don't think I'm saying it well... I think it's the childhood Jack wished he had. It wasn't him per se... he was treating his "son" in purgatory how he thought he should have been treated by his father. I think it's him in the sense that he thought that's the life he should have led.

I oddly teared up at Charlies and Claires realization. I HATED Claire throughout the course of the series.

I think perhaps they had to look for the forgiveness that John gave Ben. Once Ben got that he could have gone inside, but chose not to as perhaps he didn't want to let go of his "reality". With the way Hugo spoke to him, I have to assume he sort of redeemed himself as the #2 man on the island.

I agree. looked like Ben earned the right to but still felt he had to suffer more before crossing over.

I oddly teared up at Charlies and Claires realization. I HATED Claire throughout the course of the series.

yeah dude.. other than the ending that was the one that got me the most.

what a bunch of women we are... lol

Edited by Pac2566

yeah dude.. other than the ending that was the one that got me the most.

what a bunch of women we are... lol

Yea, I didn't really think I'd get too emotional about it, maybe a little melancholy, but not teary. I think it was just wonderfully done. The only people that will be disappointed about the ending for me will be those who are uber-nerds that need all the sci-fi stuff answered. The show was never about that, it was always about the story of the characters, and the ending gave us a character driven ending.

Yea, I didn't really think I'd get too emotional about it, maybe a little melancholy, but not teary. I think it was just wonderfully done. The only people that will be disappointed about the ending for me will be those who are uber-nerds that need all the sci-fi stuff answered. The show was never about that, it was always about the story of the characters, and the ending gave us a character driven ending.

hahah.. was just about to post that i hated the character driven homo ending and wish it was more of the sciFi stuff and not the religious purgatory punt..

but w/e..

it was ok

hahah.. was just about to post that i hated the character driven homo ending and wish it was more of the sciFi stuff and not the religious purgatory punt..

but w/e..

it was ok

I wish we would've posted it simultaneously. You are the MIB to my Jacob. Supposedly the DVD's will have more content.

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/kecks-exclusives/lost-to-continue-in-season-six-dvd-5119.html

I don't think I'm saying it well... I think it's the childhood Jack wished he had. It wasn't him per se... he was treating his "son" in purgatory how he thought he should have been treated by his father. I think it's him in the sense that he thought that's the life he should have led.

Cool, I get that.

I thought you were saying that his son was Jack as a child. That wasn't the case. It was as you, I, and Vic said. The son was the vehicle by which Jack could make right with his father (and himself) since he was denied that in life.

That also leads into why Jack was the last to have a recognition. He had to work that out first. The big tell is that neither Lily nor Locke could make him have a full recognition. Everyone else had it with someone on the Island. It was only Jack who was finally awakened by someone who wasn't an Islander (being that his father was dead before he got to the Island).

I wish we would've posted it simultaneously. You are the MIB to my Jacob. Supposedly the DVD's will have more content.

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/kecks-exclusives/lost-to-continue-in-season-six-dvd-5119.html

From the article:

Turns out two and a half hours just wasn't enough screen time for Lost producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse to tell the whole story they wanted to tell us.

Maybe they should have edited out some of the 20+ minutes of Jack holding his stomach walking around while nothing really happened that we had to endure... :rolleyes:

I cried at least 5 times during the show. I don't even follow Lost, but those scenes got to me!

I cried at least 5 times during the show. I don't even follow Lost, but those scenes got to me!

Well now that it ended, you could still go back and watch it. As a fan of the show I already said it recently. The strength of the show is the development of the characters. Their relationships, how far they come and all that stuff. It's really the core of the show and I feel I guess... at peace with the ending.

Well now that it ended, you could still go back and watch it. As a fan of the show I already said it recently. The strength of the show is the development of the characters. Their relationships, how far they come and all that stuff. It's really the core of the show and I feel I guess... at peace with the ending.

Soap Opera