Bowles' Plan for the OL

JetFreak89

A few days ago I posted asking about how the team should protect Darnold during the PS...looks like Costello asked Bowles his thoughts and here is what the plan might be: 

https://nypost.com/2018/08/10/todd-bowles-plan-for-offensive-linemen-in-sam-darnolds-debut/

Todd Bowles’ plan for offensive linemen in Sam Darnold’s debut

August 10, 2018 | 3:01am

Look for the Jets to mix and match along the offensive line on Friday night against the Falcons.
There will be some starters getting plenty of work and some second-teamers getting mixed in with the starters. Coach Todd Bowles said the Jets are moving guys around, trying to cross-train them at different positions.

Brent Qvale has been playing left tackle after largely playing right tackle or guard for most of his career. Ben Braden has gotten work with the first team at right guard and Jonotthan Harrison has played some center with the starters. It makes sense for the Jets to rest staring center Spencer Long and starting guard Brian Winters, who are both coming off surgery.

“We are moving a lot of guys that are back there,” Bowles said. “Ben [Ijalana] we are moving around, [Dakota] Dozier we are moving around, Braden we are moving around, Harrison we are moving around, so it is good this time of year to alternate those guys and see what they can and can’t do. If you’re not a starter it is pretty much the more you can do.”

There is also the issue of who will be blocking for Sam Darnold. At the moment, Darnold is No. 3 on the depth chart and probably will play the second half against the Falcons. That is typically when the linemen at the bottom of the depth chart are in.

Do the Jets want to risk playing Darnold behind some guys who will be looking for work in a month?

They probably will use a hybrid line of first- and second-teamers to block for the rookie first-round pick.

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

There is also the issue of who will be blocking for Sam Darnold. At the moment, Darnold is No. 3 on the depth chart and probably will play the second half against the Falcons. That is typically when the linemen at the bottom of the depth chart are in.

Do the Jets want to risk playing Darnold behind some guys who will be looking for work in a month?

They probably will use a hybrid line of first- and second-teamers to block for the rookie first-round pick.

It took a while before we saw the truth here. They are moving people around because they want to make sure there are borderline quality lineman in the game for Darnold so he doesn't get slaughtered before finishes his 5 step drop

I'm a little surprised that there isn't a 4th QB on the roster just for this. I know spots are limited but still. The Jets have a very weird situation at QB because the number 3 on their depth chart right now is the 3rd overall pick in the most recent NFL draft. He doesn't need to be playing large portions of this game behind guys who are not going to be on NFL rosters this season. 

15 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

A few days ago I posted asking about how the team should protect Darnold during the PS...looks like Costello asked Bowles his thoughts and here is what the plan might be: 

https://nypost.com/2018/08/10/todd-bowles-plan-for-offensive-linemen-in-sam-darnolds-debut/

Todd Bowles’ plan for offensive linemen in Sam Darnold’s debut

August 10, 2018 | 3:01am

Look for the Jets to mix and match along the offensive line on Friday night against the Falcons.
There will be some starters getting plenty of work and some second-teamers getting mixed in with the starters. Coach Todd Bowles said the Jets are moving guys around, trying to cross-train them at different positions.

Brent Qvale has been playing left tackle after largely playing right tackle or guard for most of his career. Ben Braden has gotten work with the first team at right guard and Jonotthan Harrison has played some center with the starters. It makes sense for the Jets to rest staring center Spencer Long and starting guard Brian Winters, who are both coming off surgery.

“We are moving a lot of guys that are back there,” Bowles said. “Ben [Ijalana] we are moving around, [Dakota] Dozier we are moving around, Braden we are moving around, Harrison we are moving around, so it is good this time of year to alternate those guys and see what they can and can’t do. If you’re not a starter it is pretty much the more you can do.”

The good news is Sam won’t know the difference between 1st and 2nd team OL?

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm a little surprised that there isn't a 4th QB on the roster just for this. I know spots are limited but still. The Jets have a very weird situation at QB because the number 3 on their depth chart right now is the 3rd overall pick in the most recent NFL draft. He doesn't need to be playing large portions of this game behind guys who are not going to be on NFL rosters this season. 

Or for the fact that there is a good chance we will trade teddy if we get a decent draft pick. Would need a 3rd then

Hope I’m wrong but I think the offensive line will be the story of the 2018 season. Let’s not kid ourselves, not even one of the starters qualifies as “good”. Carpenter and Beachum might be average. And not only that but the line is just really thin. Not sure what Maccagnan is thinking here. 

9 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Maybe mark Sanchez has some groupies still in the building, sent him a playbook. When he comes back from suspension he will be signed as 4th or 3rd if teddy is traded lol

Archived