There is a disturbance in the force

jgb

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jgb said:

The jets have 2 QBs with bright futures. Pinch me

Not if the Jets trade Bridge like some around here seem to think is a good idea.

Waited 50 years for a serious, young QB prospect.  The Jets have two and some can't wait to unload one.   smh

7 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Not if the Jets trade Bridge like some around here seem to think is a good idea.

Waited 50 years for a serious, young QB prospect.  The Jets have two and some can't wait to unload one.   smh

I’ll play.

you can keep Bridgewater and start him. Let’s say he’s a top 20 qb. Now he’s worth 18-20M. Do the Jets pay him with Darnold waiting in the wings? No, they do not. So he walks.

or you can keep him and start McCown or Darnold. He doesn’t play.and in 2019 he leaves.

so why should we keep him again?

20 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

You don’t just give him away. But if some team makes a great offer you have to seriously consider it. 

It'd be nice if Bridgewater was willing to take on a long-term backup QB type deal.  But he's not going to want that, so if a team is willing to make a decent offer, the Jets would be stupid not to take it.  Because regardless of if Bridgewater ends up looking to be by far the best of the bunch this year, the Jets won't be willing to move on from Darnold.

15 minutes ago, C Mart said:

You don’t just give him away. But if some team makes a great offer you have to seriously consider it. 

Considering a "great" offer is one thing.

Accepting a lousy 3rd round pick... or even a 2nd... is not worth trading a potential franchise QB when the Jets can't be sure whether Teddy or Sam is the answer until they see some regular season action.

Trading Bridge for a Devin Smith or a Hackenberg, or an Amaro, or a Stephen Hill...etc.  IS JUST F*CKING STUPIDITY!  Tell another team to stick the 2nd round pick up their a$$.

The Jets have plenty of cap space in 2019 to figure something out to buy more time if necessary.  Pun intended.

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Accepting a lousy 3rd round pick... or even a 2nd... is not worth trading a potential franchise QB when the Jets can't be sure whether Teddy or Sam is the answer until they see some regular season action.

Trading Bridge for a Devin Smith or a Hackenberg, or an Amaro, or a Stephen Hill...etc.  IS JUST F*CKING STUPIDITY!

It's one thing if you don't agree with a possible move, but the basis for your last comment is the most mind-numbingly stupid argument that could possibly be made.  By that logic no one should ever trade for the #1 overall pick either, because you know... who wants to trade for Jamarcus Russel, right?!?!

10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

It's one thing if you don't agree with a possible move, but the basis for your last comment is the most mind-numbingly stupid argument that could possibly be made.  By that logic no one should ever trade for the #1 overall pick either, because you know... who wants to trade for Jamarcus Russel, right?!?!

Your point is taken.  But mine is getting lost.  QB is the most important position in all of sport.  After 50 years of crap... how can anybody justify trading a player that is demonstrating the potential to be a franchise player for a 2nd or 3rd round pick?   The odds of hitting a decent player in those rounds nowhere near justifies it.  Not even close.

I also don't appreciate having a post being labeled as "mind-numbingly stupid."  I know I am one of the more intelligent posters on the board.   However, I do the same thing to others... so I suppose if I dish it out... I also have to take it.  ;)

29 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

It'd be nice if Bridgewater was willing to take on a long-term backup QB type deal.  But he's not going to want that, so if a team is willing to make a decent offer, the Jets would be stupid not to take it.  Because regardless of if Bridgewater ends up looking to be by far the best of the bunch this year, the Jets won't be willing to move on from Darnold.

Can't blame him. He wants to start somewhere. He IS/WAS a NFL starting QB.

Trade Bridgewater for a pass rusher or o-lineman who can be an upgrade starter.

If you can't get either of those, then try for a draft pick.

This team will be just fine with Darnold, McCown, and a 3rd stringer.  If you can get good compensation for Teddy, you get it.

53 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I’ll play.

you can keep Bridgewater and start him. Let’s say he’s a top 20 qb. Now he’s worth 18-20M. Do the Jets pay him with Darnold waiting in the wings? No, they do not. So he walks.

or you can keep him and start McCown or Darnold. He doesn’t play.and in 2019 he leaves.

Oh brother.....

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Holy hell. Bridgewater will not be on this team next year. Darnold was significantly better tonight. His best possible contribution to the Jets is a future draft pick.

18 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Your point is taken.  But mine is getting lost.  QB is the most important position in all of sport.  After 50 years of crap... how can anybody justify trading a player that is demonstrating the potential to be a franchise player for a 2nd or 3rd round pick?   The odds of hitting a decent player in those rounds nowhere near justifies it.  Not even close.

I also don't appreciate having a post being labeled as "mind-numbingly stupid."  I know I am one of the more intelligent posters on the board.   However, I do the same thing to others... so I suppose if I dish it out... I also have to take it.  ;)

We CAN'T start BOTH Darnold AND TB. One HAS to go. TB is the logical choice, the only choice.

16 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Darnold looked good

Bridgewater looked great

Darnold looked significantly better than Bridgewater. Not even close. Not in the same world. Darnold made several plays tonight that Bridgewater literraly cannot make. EVER. What is this silly obsession with an AT BEST game manager QB? WE have SAM DARNOLD. Holy fuggnuts.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Darnold looked significantly better than Bridgewater. Not even close. Not in the same world. Darnold made several plays tonight that Bridgewater literraly cannot make. EVER. What is this silly obsession with an AT BEST game manager QB? WE have SAM DARNOLD. Holy fuggnuts. 

Agreed.  Bridgewater is top 10 potential.  Darnold is top 5 potential.

27 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

hahaah holy crap!

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

I’ll play.

^^Bingo.

We are not advocating trading him just for the sake of trading him. We just realize that it's highly unlikely he'll resign with us next season. While I said in another thread that I'd love for Teddy to stick around and be our back up for several seasons, I just don't think that's a realistic scenario to expect.

And it's not like our Super Bowl window is closing and need to keep Teddy around just in case Darnold gets injured, and we need to win in the playoffs. Our window has only just cracked open, and that's because of Sam. I'm fine waiting another year. We don't really need Teddy for this season.

Remember guys, we don't have a 2nd round pick next year. Anything we can get for Teddy could help us as we desperately need to build up this Oline (not to mention we still need an edge player).

Trading Bridge for a Devin Smith or a Hackenberg, or an Amaro, or a Stephen Hill...etc.  IS JUST F*CKING STUPIDITY!  Tell another team to stick the 2nd round pick up their a$$.

The Jets have plenty of cap space in 2019 to figure something out to buy more time if necessary.  Pun intended.

I think you're being silly if you think we could fetch anything higher than a 2nd, or even 3rd, for Teddy.

And it's not about money. If Teddy believes he can start again in this league, that is precisely what he'll be looking for, and, barring a complete bust of a season by Sam, he'll know that he's not gonna find that with the Jets.

It'll be Teddy's choice to move on, not our checkbook.

33 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Well, to be fair, not many guys have Darnold's talent and upside.  He could be Tony Romo or Aaron Rodgers.  Bridgewater doesn't have that kind of upside.  

That said, Bridgewater is better than Blake Bortles.  He's smart, accurate and still moves around pretty well.  Maybe you trade him for Dante Fowler, who, I think, breaks out this year.

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I think you're being silly if you think we could fetch anything higher than a 2nd, or even 3rd, for Teddy.

And it's not about money. If Teddy believes he can start again in this league, that is precisely what he'll be looking for, and, barring a complete bust of a season by Sam, he'll know that he's not gonna find that with the Jets.

It'll be Teddy's choice to move on, not our checkbook.

You misunderstand me. I am not expecting anything higher than a 2nd.  I am saying do NOT trade Teddy this season until seeing one or both of these players in action in 2018.

Hedging your bet at QB is way more valuable than any lousy 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. 

I thought I was making that clear.

3 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Well, to be fair, not many guys have Darnold's talent and upside.  He could be Tony Romo or Aaron Rodgers.  Bridgewater doesn't have that kind of upside.  

That said, Bridgewater is better than Blake Bortles.  He's smart, accurate and still moves around pretty well.  Maybe you trade him for Dante Fowler, who, I think, breaks out this year.

Yes, probably better than Tannehill as well. I would be very surprised if the combination of Darnold looking starter ready and Bridgewater looking like Bridgewater does not create a few calls even as we speak

Just now, RoadFan said:

You misunderstand me. I am not expecting anything higher than a 2nd.  I am saying do NOT trade Teddy this season until seeing one or both of these players in action in 2018.

Hedging your bet at QB is way more valuable than any lousy 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. 

I thought I was making that clear.

To the bold -- fair.

We don't have to trade Teddy right away, but if it's an emergency situation for another team who's #1 QB goes to prior to the start of the season, it may be more prudent to trade Teddy right away before that team picks up someone else.

Ideally, we hold on to Teddy through the season, and trade him at the trade deadline to some needy team who loses their #1 and is still in the playoff hunt. But, I think we should be prepared to trade him at any point a sufficient trade offer emerges.

Regarding Bridgewater IF Brees shows his age this season the Saints have a team option, and can let him walk with no cap hit, and Bridgewater would be a perfect fit for Sean Payton, and the Saints they wouldn’t miss much of a beat IMO, I could definitely see Bridgewater the starting QB for New Orleans next season.  I have no interest in wishing injury on any player, BUT IF something happened to Brees early the Saints have a roster ready to win a Super Bowl, and the Saints have a history of not being afraid to trade away future draft capital if it’s what they feel is needed to win, and they would probably pay the most in this kind of situation, probably a conditional 3rd that could become a 1st if Saints won Super Bowl, and/or 2nd should TBW take 75% of the offensive snaps, make playoffs, pro bowl type conditions.

Haha, fair enough.  Let's just both chalk it up to being the night of the Jets' return to the field.  Although to be clear, I wasn't saying your entire post was mind-numbingly stupid, just that one particular part of it.  ?

But seriously though, I can certainly understand the mindset for the Jets to hedge their bets, and I honestly believe if the Jets had done any other combination of moves this offseason other than end up with Darnold, there would be a much greater desire by the majority to retain Bridgewater.  I actually like Bridgewater, so don't really want to see him go, but I also know it's very possibly a smart move for the team to make.  While you can argue about keeping him as insurance, the truth is that with the sole exception of Darnold suffering a career-ending injury (I'm sorry, I didn't mean it, I didn't say it, I swear!), there is no chance the team would consider making any serious investment in Bridgewater after this season.  So that means, short of him being willing to settle for a backup QB job and pay, which he would likely have no interest in doing, he's pretty much guaranteed to walk after this year.  So as long as the Jets are ready and willing to let Darnold play this year, and McCown doesn't get himself hurt, they'll have plenty of incentive to be willing to make a deal.

Our future QB is Darnold everyone.  Right?

Teddy is on a one-year deal, with no reason to want to stay here beyond 2018 anyway. Right?

So the choice is to use Teddy this year as needed and say goodbye to him after this season or to trade him if the opportunity arises and maybe get us as high as a 2nd round pick and "risk" not having Teddy, if needed, this season.  Where can I vote for the 2nd round pick?  

Realistically - who would want Teddy? Barring an injury. the only potential teams are Kansas City, Jacksonville and Miami.  I am not trading him within the division so that leaves KC and Jax.  At this juncture the best you'll get is a conditional pick  - you have to ponder whether its worth it to give him away like that. 

Is there a rush to start Darnold right away?  This team is simply not good enough to make the playoffs as constructed as well as considering the schedule.  3 games in the first 10 days of the season! 3 of the first 4 on the road!  Then after playing on the road against Jax we come home to seeing Chubb and Miller flying towards the pocket, followed by Indy, Minn and on the road against Chicago and their pass rush?  Logic tells you not to start Darnold just for the sake of his physical well being!

No matter who starts at QB, after the first 8 games - at best we are 4-4. Keep Darnold on the bench until at least week 9.

Archived