Jets need to sign a 4th QB/Our OL Sucks (especially the backups) Thread

BroadwayRay

If any of you have the game on tape, check out the play on the Darnold touchdown drive where he completes to Tre McBride to the seven yard line. Keep watching Darnold. Then watch the Atlanta DE beat our left tackle like a drum. Watch him fly into Darnold from behind as he throws the pass and dive into the back of his left knee. As you remove your heart from your mouth, say three Hail Marie’s and thank the heavens our savior wasn’t lost for the season. 

I’m really, really scared about our deficient offensive line and their inability to protect our QB. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

If any of you have the game on tape, check out the play on the Darnold touchdown drive where he completes to Tre McBride to the seven yard line. Keep watching Darnold. Then watch the Atlanta DE beat our left tackle like a drum. Watch him fly into Darnold from behind as he throws the pass and dive into the back of his left knee. As you remove your heart from your mouth, say three Hail Marie’s and thank the heavens our savior wasn’t lost for the season. 

I’m really, really scared about our deficient offensive line and their inability to protect our QB. 

Yep.  That was awful.  He was yelling to the sidelines that he was okay.  That could have done it right there.  I actually thought the flag on the play was because of that.

14 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Both McCown, and Teddy got plenty of protection, running Sam out with the future UPS drivers, and Insurance Sales men is about as stupid as it gets, and running him out there with garbage like Johnson, McBride, insert garbage no name offensive play maker position is so anti productive, last night your watching Mayfield throw to Njouku, Callaway, Higgins to name a few that are already shown, or are showing they are talented players, and if they can keep off field issues, and injuries away they will be, or continue to be starters in this league, and the results were exactly what you would hope for when pairing a #1 overall pick QB with talented weapons.  Darnold needs to get an extensive look with Kearse, Powell, Anderson, Pryor ect. and it needs to start NOW!

The guy who got beat on that play was Ben Ijalana, who is nominally the starter with Beachum being injured. We can’t afford to have him as blindside backup anymore. He sucks. Beefing up the Oline should be Macc’s Top priority— more than finding a pass rusher. 

For the first preseason game it was ok.  But going forward, especially now that we all know Darnold is a legit contender for week 1 starter, it's simply not fair to Darnold, Teddy, or McCown to have them play in the 4th quarter behind a line of scrubs.  It's also a risk to the franchise because if they lose someone then Teddy's potential trade value is gone and they'll need to keep him.

Bring back Hackenberg for all I care.

3 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

For the first preseason game it was ok.  But going forward, especially now that we all know Darnold is a legit contender for week 1 starter, it's simply not fair to Darnold, Teddy, or McCown to have them play in the 4th quarter behind a line of scrubs.  It's also a risk to the franchise because if they lose someone then Teddy's potential trade value is gone and they'll need to keep him.

Absolutely shocking that they dont have one.

7 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

agree 100% i was thinking the same thing in the 2nd half - "like sh*t, we don't even have a camp arm to roll out there"

It was fine for this game, but i don't need another sanchez getting hurt in the 4th scenario because of swiss cheese oline play from scrubs.

I thought that also in the 4th quarter, would have been nice to have just a training camp arm playing at the end.  I understand  Darnold needs game reps, but he was playing with guys that likely won't make the team, and we certainly don't want an injury.

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

The guy who got beat on that play was Ben Ijalana, who is nominally the starter with Beachum being injured. We can’t afford to have him as blindside backup anymore. He sucks. Beefing up the Oline should be Macc’s Top priority— more than finding a pass rusher. 

I wonder if there's any chance a decent LT option shakes loose during cut downs. Forget the TE stuff or even Carpenter, that Beachum/Ijalana situation is the biggest issue I see on the offense right now.

20 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

No no no, this is a misconception. Trot out McCown in the 2nd half. He is done as a starter anyway. 

Bowles won’t do that. McClown played one series just like last year. He didn’t play after that in the preseason and I don’t expect him to see him again until opening day. He is the starter, like it or not. If the Jets get off to a hot start, say 3-1 or 4-2, Bowles will stay with him. If they go .500 or below, I can see Sam coming in to take over but not until then. 

I'd've liked a fourth QB, too, but I recognize that they wanted to maximize Darnold's reps and that looks like a good decision. 

After Darnold got sacked last night, (if I'm not mistaken) I think he threw one more pass - that pretty roll-out for a first down on 3rd & 11. Otherwise, he was handing off. Pretty sure that was 100% by design to protect him. They need to move Darnold up in the rotation (I'd start him next week) and have Josh or Teddy do the second half handing off from here on out. 

I doubt they'd bring in a fourth guy at this point - unless they're already fielding Bridgewater calls. 

7 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Better get used to it, our O-line is a material weakness again this year.

We have very thin Oline depth & it shows when you cant make a hole against guys that will be working for UPS. Sams mobility will really help our starting Oline. 

I have no problem handing the ball off for the entire 4th quarter of preseason games. Forget a 4th QB, the Jets need another RB, Cannon got way too many preseason snaps. We already lost McGuire for a while, Crowell got banged up, Powell has always been soft & I've seen enough that Cannon can play. 

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

We have very thin Oline depth & it shows when you cant make a hole against guys that will be working for UPS. Sams mobility will really help our starting Oline. 

I have no problem handing the ball off for the entire 4th quarter of preseason games. Forget a 4th QB, the Jets need another RB, Cannon got way too many preseason snaps. We already lost McGuire for a while, Crowell got banged up, Powell has always been soft & I've seen enough that Cannon can play. 

When are the 1st roster cut downs?  Will some of these UPS guys be cut before next weeks game?  It is pretty scary having a non fodder QB back there with them. 

Agree 100% on giving Cannon a break too.  No need to use him up.    

Archived