Jets need to sign a 4th QB/Our OL Sucks (especially the backups) Thread

BroadwayRay

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

When are the 1st roster cut downs?  Will some of these UPS guys be cut before next weeks game?  It is pretty scary having a non fodder QB back there with them. 

Agree 100% on giving Cannon a break too.  No need to use him up.    

This year they're all done at once rather than in two stages. Have to drop to 53 players by September 1. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

For the first preseason game it was ok.  But going forward, especially now that we all know Darnold is a legit contender for week 1 starter, it's simply not fair to Darnold, Teddy, or McCown to have them play in the 4th quarter behind a line of scrubs.  It's also a risk to the franchise because if they lose someone then Teddy's potential trade value is gone and they'll need to keep him.

Bring back Hackenberg for all I care.

Just put Adams in there, he is very good at audibles. 

6 hours ago, BigO said:

Bowles won’t do that. McClown played one series just like last year. He didn’t play after that in the preseason and I don’t expect him to see him again until opening day. He is the starter, like it or not. If the Jets get off to a hot start, say 3-1 or 4-2, Bowles will stay with him. If they go .500 or below, I can see Sam coming in to take over but not until then. 

You are right, Bowles is such a ****.

35 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I thought that last night too. Absolutely crazy. Pryor is probably our emergency QB I would assume. 

Pryor has his own injury concerns. 

I expect Bridgewater to play 90% or so of that last preseason game. 

8 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

For the first preseason game it was ok.  But going forward, especially now that we all know Darnold is a legit contender for week 1 starter, it's simply not fair to Darnold, Teddy, or McCown to have them play in the 4th quarter behind a line of scrubs.  It's also a risk to the franchise because if they lose someone then Teddy's potential trade value is gone and they'll need to keep him.

Agreed 100%. My heart was in my throat that entire 4th quarter. 

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

We really need to sign a camp arm, if only to do mop-up duty in these games.

I don't think so.

We should see alot more play from Teddy now, enough to fill that gap late in games.

Or Better yet, start Teddy, then Darnold, then McCown the late-game next week.

Then start Darnold, then Teddy, then just a tiny bit of McCown late.

And let McCown play most of the final PS game.

McCown is the expendible one on this QB group.

But +1 Darnold playing behind this O-Line is very risky, it's our weakest unit.

8 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Let’s march Bowles out there ....   love to see him get body slammed. ?

6 hours ago, RVAJet815 said:

I wonder if there's any chance a decent LT option shakes loose during cut downs. Forget the TE stuff or even Carpenter, that Beachum/Ijalana situation is the biggest issue I see on the offense right now.

The good news is that Qvale played pretty well as the starting LT.  The bad news is Garcia needs to be cut before he gets a QB hurt

we have our qb of the future mopping up pre season games risking injury ?

our qb priority list should read

sam, teddy josh-it is beyond insane to see sam out there playing with scrubs-how dumb are the jets coaches? If you want to get him reps you start sam then go to teddy then go to josh

I get it players can get hurt in practice or games but playing your future qb in mop up work with the worst possible players surrounding him is insane

Josh is not our future -there is no way they can allow sam to play mop up duty again in another preseason game-

20 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Let’s march Bowles out there ....   love to see him get body slammed. ?

I'll give Bowles credit. He knows Sam is special and like all of us was not going to put Sam in harms way. I believe Sam handed off like 20 times at the end there, practicing his handoffs from different angles, lol.

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

sam, teddy josh-it is beyond insane to see sam out there playing with scrubs-how dumb are the jets coaches? If you want to get him reps you start sam then go to teddy then go to josh

I get it players can get hurt in practice or games but playing your future qb in mop up work with the worst possible players surrounding him is insane

Josh is not our future -there is no way they can allow sam to play mop up duty again in another preseason game-

Our coaches are special, real special.

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

That's why he handed the ball off for the entire 4th quarter. Actually great practice for the zone blocking Dennison is putting in. Preseason is PRACTICE after all. 

9 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

If any of you have the game on tape, check out the play on the Darnold touchdown drive where he completes to Tre McBride to the seven yard line. Keep watching Darnold. Then watch the Atlanta DE beat our left tackle like a drum. Watch him fly into Darnold from behind as he throws the pass and dive into the back of his left knee. As you remove your heart from your mouth, say three Hail Marie’s and thank the heavens our savior wasn’t lost for the season. 

I’m really, really scared about our deficient offensive line and their inability to protect our QB. 

Precisely why any talk of trading draft picks for Mack is asinine. 

Offensive line issue I have been harping on for awhile. Lack of quality depth is major issue. Also keep Teddy no trade have to have another viable alternative with some QB's going down a virtual certainty

This might be an issue for all the preseason  games.  As of right now McCown is the starting QB.  He's going to get reps with the 1's like it or not.  

They want to get Darnold as many reps as they can,  even if he is just handing the ball off, they want him getting reps under C.  Perhaps next game they will reverse the roles of Darnold, and Teddy.  Have Darnold come in second, and have Teddy do the last quarter and a half.  

IMO they should announce Darnold as the starter sooner rather then later so he can get more reps behind the 1's and 2's.  Bowles has said he probably won't name the starter until after the 4th game.  IMO this is stupid.  Particularly if they are going to continue playing Garcia in the 4th    

25 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The good news is that Qvale played pretty well as the starting LT.  The bad news is Garcia needs to be cut before he gets a QB hurt

I'm hoping they can stash him (Garcia) on the IR or something until he can regain his strength and weight.  He's definitely not ready to play tho.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

What about that guy Wolford from Wake Forest that was with the team in the spring.  Bring him back as a camp arm. 

Problem is they want Darnold to get tons of reps.  He should be named starter so he can get reps with the 1's and 2's

Just now, flgreen said:

This might be an issue for all the preseason  games.  As of right now McCown is the starting QB.  He's going to get reps with the 1's like it or not.  

They want to get Darnold as many reps as they can,  even if he is just handing the ball off, they want him getting reps under C.  Perhaps next game they will reverse the roles of Darnold, and Teddy.  Have Darnold come in second, and have Teddy do the last quarter and a half.  

IMO they should announce Darnold as the starter sooner rather then later so he can get more repsbehind the 1's and 2's.  Bowles has said he probably won't name the starter until after theth game.  IMO this is stupid.  Particularly if they are going to continue playing Garcia in the 4th    

I think they’re hung up a bit politically, even if they name Darnold the starter tomorrow. You give Darnold all the first team reps, then McCown gets the second team reps, and Bridgewater—who they’re trying to trade—gets run out there behind the putrid third team O-line? Or do you put the respected veteran McCown out there in mop-up duty in the preseason and make Bridgewater the #2? It’s a no-win.

what they should do is sign a young veteran who doesn’t need a lot of practice snaps to come in and mop up, which would be a good opportunity for that guy, because he’d slide into the #3 job if Bridgewater is traded. 

Maybe Terrell Pryor?

Teddy should start the next game and get like 3 series. Then Darnold should come in for the 2/3 quarter and then have McCown come in the 4th to hand the ball off. Darnold should then get an extended look with the numbers 1s in the third game with Teddy finishing up the rest of the game. 

27 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'll give Bowles credit. He knows Sam is special and like all of us was not going to put Sam in harms way. I believe Sam handed off like 20 times at the end there, practicing his handoffs from different angles, lol.

I watched in a bar and don’t have sound so wasn’t as focused as others but hard not to like hat we saw last night.   BUT I must admit, when the camera went on Bowles, I got Nauseous. Hopefully, he has changed his ways .  I’ll give him one more year but his decision process last few years has invited our skepticism. 

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Maybe Terrell Pryor?

Teddy should start the next game and get like 3 series. Then Darnold should come in for the 2/3 quarter and then have McCown come in the 4th to hand the ball off. Darnold should then get an extended look with the numbers 1s in the third game with Teddy finishing up the rest of the game. 

Did McCown play in the second and third preseason games last year? I don't think he did. 

I'd have Darnold do a quarter and half with the starters next week, and then two and a half quarters in week three, followed by Teddy finishing out both games. If they make the move to Darnold as the starter like we all know they want to, McCown could hand the ball off for most of game four. 

yes. put the 15 yr career backup in there.

if HE gets hurt, he can still cheerlead, what we dont want is him playing QB for the Jets as a starter whose job it is to win games. he's a finger in the dyke. he is not a viable starting QB in the NFL. punto. this whole mclown worship is a phukking sham. hes a clean cut guy. bravo. i dont givvaphuk. stop saying that he is a hgood option to play for our team. he is not.

no amount of solvent can get the pine tar out his 15 backup ass.

ya'll belong to the church oh the clown, or what? come (the phuk) off that nonsense. just stop.1819993225.jpg

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I watched in a bar and don’t have sound so wasn’t as focused as others but hard not to like hat we saw last night.   BUT I must admit, when the camera went on Bowles, I got Nauseous. Hopefully, he has changed his ways .  I’ll give him one more year but his decision process last few years has invited our skepticism. 

I'm not a Bowles fan, but he'd have to be an idiot to overlook Sams potential. Bowles needs to give free reign to the offense & get the hell out of the way!

Bowles needs to get his defense into the top 15 or he needs to be sent out on a rail! What's the point of having a mediocre defensive coach with a bottom 10 defense, coaching a team with a possible Big Ben or Andrew Luck type QB? 

You need to take advantage of the rules (all favor the offense), and continue attacking on offense like Pederson did with the Eagles. Bowles better have been paying attention or he'll be jettisoned after next season the latest. 

Archived