Jets need to sign a 4th QB/Our OL Sucks (especially the backups) Thread

BroadwayRay

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming the Jets are open to trading Bridgewater, then signing a 4th qb makes even more sense.

John Wolford did a nice job in rookie mini-camp, is a sharp kid + played lights out in college.  Would make a good 4th who could either stick if Bridgewater is traded and/or be replaced when another team cuts a better qb later in camp.

9 minutes ago, Cosimojet said:

Assuming the Jets are open to trading Bridgewater, then signing a 4th qb makes even more sense.

This is truth.

If they really do plan to trade TB, and have all along, it's borderline criminal we don't ALREADY have 4 qb's in camp.

I think this franchise has vastly too much faith in Josh McCown.

46 minutes ago, slats said:

Did McCown play in the second and third preseason games last year? I don't think he did. 

I'd have Darnold do a quarter and half with the starters next week, and then two and a half quarters in week three, followed by Teddy finishing out both games. If they make the move to Darnold as the starter like we all know they want to, McCown could hand the ball off for most of game four. 

Your correct, he did not play in week 2 or 3.  I would expect the same this year

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This is truth.

If they really do plan to trade TB, and have all along, it's borderline criminal we don't ALREADY have 4 qb's in camp.

I think this franchise has vastly too much faith in Josh McCown.

Why take needed reps away from Darnold? 

IF, you do trade Bridgewater, again if, then there will be other qbs on the market that you bring in. Not until then. 

46 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

How about Josh retires and remains on the staff

long term I don’t see it....  he is a Texas boy but after this season he probably has opportunities like that.  he won’t need the money.  Guy has made more coin in the last 3 years than his entire career.  he prolly has 15 mil in the bank minimum right now.   

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Problem is they want Darnold to get tons of reps.  He should be named starter so he can get reps with the 1's and 2's

He can still get plenty of reps.  Last year, McCown only played the first preseason game.  We may not see him again until September (and maybe not even then).  Give Bridgewater a couple of series, maybe a quarter.  Darnold can play a half ot a little bit more.  Put 4th QB/camp arm in for the 4th quarter playing with and against guys who have no legitimate shot of ever playing in the NFL.  Last night, I think Darnold had one pass play in the 4th quarter; he does not need reps just to hand off.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

He can still get plenty of reps.  Last year, McCown only played the first preseason game.  We may not see him again until September (and maybe not even then).  Give Bridgewater a couple of series, maybe a quarter.  Darnold can play a half ot a little bit more.  Put 4th QB/camp arm in for the 4th quarter playing with and against guys who have no legitimate shot of ever playing in the NFL.  Last night, I think Darnold had one pass play in the 4th quarter; he does not need reps just to hand off.

You have to give a 4th qb reps in practice also. You can't just sign a qb and provide him  no reps.

Darnold needs reps not some scrub that won't even be on the practice squad 

Yes even handoffs 

That roll out was sweet 

Just calling the play and taking snaps under center will help him 

The kid has like 30 starts at QB in his entire life he needs every rep 

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

This is what happens when the GM doesnt believe investing in offense linemen. 

This is looking like it was a very solid Draft and could also turn out to have been an excellent FA period with guys like Crowell, Avery Williamson and of course, Trumaine Johnson.   Macc pulled off a gutsy, swing for the fences type trade and looks like he may have landed a franchise QB.  It also looks like Shepherd is a potential starter at DE right away.  Cannon and Herndon will likely contribute significantly on offense.

I say all this because I agree with you, he hasn't invested in OLine but his plan seems to be taking shape.  I fully expect that 2019 is the year of OLine investment, both in terms of FA and the Draft.  Priority 1 has been finding a QB.  Macc has also seen the departure/retirement of many iconic legacy guys in Revis, Mangold and D'Brick.  You can't replace guys like that overnight.  I hope and pray that OLine is next.  He got the QB and CB this year.  OLine and Edge Rusher are next on the list.  We'll see....

5 hours ago, ECURB said:

Next week play Sam in Q1 give Teddy the rest of the game...

Week 3 Sam and Teddy

Week 4 is where you need a scrub

Darnold - Q1

Teddy - Q2

Josh - Q3, Q4

If Josh complains (which he won't) just remind him we're overpaying him by about f'ing $6M that we could have used to buy an offensive lineman in FA.

13 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

For the first preseason game it was ok.  But going forward, especially now that we all know Darnold is a legit contender for week 1 starter, it's simply not fair to Darnold, Teddy, or McCown to have them play in the 4th quarter behind a line of scrubs.  It's also a risk to the franchise because if they lose someone then Teddy's potential trade value is gone and they'll need to keep him.

Bring back Hackenberg for all I care.

i agree with this.  it would be stupid if darnold was sanchized in the 4th pre season game.  maybe they're waiting for some bridgewater trade interest before bringing in another guy.

41 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Darnold - Q1

Teddy - Q2

Josh - Q3, Q4

If Josh complains (which he won't) just remind him we're overpaying him by about f'ing $6M that we could have used to buy an offensive lineman in FA.

McCown won't be in the 4th quarter 

I think next game teddy starts and if the knee is good, he gets the whole first half. 

Have to think he was on a play count last night 

Then Darnold gets the 2nd half 

That sets up Darnold getting the start for the 3rd game and playing the 1st half and teddy the 2nd. 

Hopefully Bowles names the starter then and the starter sits out the 4th game but this is Bowles 

The 4th game we probably see McCown, Sam teddy unless the Jets have a suitors for a trade and audition teddy 

All I can say is I'm really sick and tired of QB competitions!!! 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

McCown won't be in the 4th quarter 

I think next game teddy starts and if the knee is good, he gets the whole first half. 

Have to think he was on a play count last night 

Then Darnold gets the 2nd half 

That sets up Darnold getting the start for the 3rd game and playing the 1st half and teddy the 2nd. 

Hopefully Bowles names the starter then and the starter sits out the 4th game but this is Bowles 

The 4th game we probably see McCown, Sam teddy unless the Jets have a suitors for a trade and audition teddy 

All I can say is I'm really sick and tired of QB competitions!!! 

I'm just excited that we have a legit competition with good players.  In previous years the QB competition has basically been, "Whoever sucks the least wins the job!"

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

I'm not a Bowles fan, but he'd have to be an idiot to overlook Sams potential. Bowles needs to give free reign to the offense & get the hell out of the way!

Bowles needs to get his defense into the top 15 or he needs to be sent out on a rail! What's the point of having a mediocre defensive coach with a bottom 10 defense, coaching a team with a possible Big Ben or Andrew Luck type QB? 

You need to take advantage of the rules (all favor the offense), and continue attacking on offense like Pederson did with the Eagles. Bowles better have been paying attention or he'll be jettisoned after next season the latest. 

yep.  this is the season where bowles excuses for a bad defense have got to be over.  if this defense plays the way a bowles defense should then the offense becomes that much easier.  get a positive turnover ratio.  get the offense playing on a short field.  that'll make this season very fun to watch.

Sam is a rookie...we have not handed him the reigns yet he has to earn them and you earn them by playing with the backups and working your way up. He got lots of snaps last night which is great because he needs them after his hold out. If we are worried about him getting hurt from teams third stringers how can we trust him to stay healthy vs beasts like Mack or von Miller? The game has gotten soft enough as it is let our kids play some dang football

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Archived