What would a Bridgewater extension look like? Today's Resign or Trade Thread

Kleckineau

McCown: Brief appearance but we know what he is already. Given TBs injury McCown actually may have equal trade value so why not dump him and keep TB.

Darnold: Wow I am so psyched. Kid looked very good last night. Aside from one almost pick he was doing everything very well and he looked very confident plus he will only get better.

Bridgewater: I was somewhat down on this guy before last night and yeah he had the benefit of playing with the 1's but damn he looked good, smooth, confident, went through progressions so nicely and his arm strength impressed me. He moved rally well for a guy with such a terrible injury so maybe he really is fit. McCown is crap. Jets go nowhere with him. I am now firmly in the camp of keeping this TB. Look what having Foles did for Philly last year.

Pryor: 3rd QB and maybe pick another off the scrap heap for the PS.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know trading TB for a second rounder would be great to get a pick to continue build the roster but having a good backup QB is also extremely valuable in the league. By all accounts TB is a smart player who will help Sam with the mental part of the game and isn’t the type of guy to cause problems off the field or with the media. 

Now while I’m sure TB wants to be a starter in the league, he’s only 25.  I wonder if he would turn down a 2 year $20 million extension to be Sam’s backup for 2 seasons, slowing him to still hit FA or be traded before he is 27. 

I know it seems like $10/per is a big number and it is, but given our starter is on a rookie contract and we have a ton of money, spending more (a regular backup is gonna cost $4/5 million per season) for a young quality backup QB isn’t a bad idea in my opinion. 

Nope. 

Teddy has already missed two years, he's not signing up to be a backup for two more. Not if there's another team out there willing to hand him, or let him compete for, a starting job. That contract will be much more favorable, too.  

TB is a FA next year looking to be a starter again. We have our franchise Qb. We are not going to a SB this year. Chips all in next year in FA and drafting LT or Edge rusher. You get those guys in in the draft! Watching TB walk for nothing is not what a smart GM does.

Foles was the exception this year ‘cause he won a SB MVP and Wentz coming off injury. Also loved in the locker room 

Sam gets injured and we're right back to square one.  I understand about the picks and that he'll be gone after this year unless we sign him and that he'll want to start, but he is clearly the best QB on this team at this moment and to let him go for anything less than a 2nd doesn't make any sense.  

We got plenty of cap space and McCown should be gone next year, why not give him 15M for next year, or longer term?  And would he take it.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

If you’re a Jets fan, you need to wish for a Kirk Cousins sprained knee ligament over the course of the next two weeks, at which point you can roll up to the Vikings with a ski mask and steal all their draft picks in exchange for Bridgewater 

Redskins get to see Teddy up close.   They could be an option if Alex Smith is not the answer...

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

McCown: Brief appearance but we know what he is already. Given TBs injury McCown actually may have equal trade value so why not dump him and keep TB.

Darnold: Wow I am so psyched. Kid looked very good last night. Aside from one almost pick he was doing everything very well and he looked very confident plus he will only get better.

Bridgewater: I was somewhat down on this guy before last night and yeah he had the benefit of playing with the 1's but damn he looked good, smooth, confident, went through progressions so nicely and his arm strength impressed me. He moved rally well for a guy with such a terrible injury so maybe he really is fit. McCown is crap. Jets go nowhere with him. I am now firmly in the camp of keeping this TB. Look what having Foles did for Philly last year.

I think the near pick was Stewarts fault for not running the right route

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

TB is a FA next year looking to be a starter again. We have our franchise Qb. We are not going to a SB this year. Chips all in next year in FA and drafting LT or Edge rusher. You get those guys in in the draft! Watching TB walk for nothing is not what a smart GM does.

Foles was the exception this year ‘cause he won a SB MVP and Wentz coming off injury. Also loved in the locker room 

Cant strongly disagree with what you say however after the QB drought the franchise has endured, giving up a potential FQB seems absurdly counterintuitive esp if TB continues to excel in preseason. Wonder how BB would handle this.

4 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Redskins get to see Teddy up close.   They could be an option if Alex Smith is not the answer...

Alex Smith and Colt McCoy are pretty solid there, is think. Minnesota, though, is doomed if Cousins misses any time, and the coaches there are on record as saying they love Bridgewater. It’d be a perfect fit.

I agree 100 pct. on everything, but I think we should retire McCown, make him QB coach and if he's needed he comes out of retirement. 

I'd keep all three (as I've said).

Teddy would start week 1 if he keeps looking as good as last night.  Need to see ALOT more before I tryst that tho.

Darnold would take over at some point, maybe a few weeks in, unless Teddy is lighting it up/winning alot of games.

McCown would never see the field, he'd be exclusively a sideline Coach-in-uniform-and-cheerleader.

A 5th or 6th rounder isn't worth trading away a solid guy (it seems) to hold the fort till Darnold is truly ready, and could perhaps win a few doing so.

I'd rather have two QB's than one, but thats me.

1 minute ago, long suffering jets fan said:

The Giants would be a great fit for Teddy or any team that has an aging starter like San Diego for instance.  The question is what would they give up for him?

The Chargers have Geno. They're all set. 

If we get offered 2nd for Teddy, we have to take it. He is not signing with the Jets. On the open market, I think he will command $20 mil per year for 2 or 3 years. So I agree with you on the contract. But I don’t believe he’ll sign that to be a backup. 

We have to be all in on Darnold. Improve the OL and make sure he has receivers that work for his game. We may have those receivers on our team at the moment. So time will tell with the receivers.

7 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

We have to be all in on Darnold. Improve the OL and make sure he has receivers that work for his game. We may have those receivers on our team at the moment. So time will tell with the receivers.

This is why we need to move Teddy if we get a good offer.  An extra day 2 pick could be a starting OL -- and nothing should be more important right now than building that OL in front of Sam &/or surrounding him with playmakers.

38 minutes ago, slats said:

Nope. 

Teddy has already missed two years, he's not signing up to be a backup for two more. Not if there's another team out there willing to hand him, or let him compete for, a starting job. That contract will be much more favorable, too.  

I would think that there is some number that I would not consider unreasonable (considering our cap room) that Teddy would sign for for at least two reasons:

1. As already stated he his would still be young for a QB.

2. He'd have all the more time for strength and conditioning.

If he's seen as totally healthy he'd have the better part of a decade left to cash in on his career.  I frankly don't see the down side.  It's not like 20+$M is chicken feed.    

Well if Darnold wins the starters job I would love to keep TB as insurance but no way he re-signs with the Jets to be a career back-up. I keep TB around until the trading deadline and then field offers for him. You never know what will happen in this game and guys get hurt all the time.

Archived