What would a Bridgewater extension look like? Today's Resign or Trade Thread

Kleckineau

17 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I would think that there is some number that I would not consider unreasonable (considering our cap room) that Teddy would sign for for at least two reasons:

1. As already stated he his would still be young for a QB.

2. He'd have all the more time for strength and conditioning.

If he's seen as totally healthy he'd have the better part of a decade left to cash in on his career.  I frankly don't see the down side.  It's not like 20+$M is chicken feed.    

Realistically cannot see it.

He's been a starter, been in the playoffs, been in the Pro Bowl. He wants to play. He's gonna take any opportunity to start over a backup job. It's not just the money (which would presumably be more) he's just not a guy who's ready to accept a backup job. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I would think that there is some number that I would not consider unreasonable (considering our cap room) that Teddy would sign for for at least two reasons:

1. As already stated he his would still be young for a QB.

2. He'd have all the more time for strength and conditioning.

If he's seen as totally healthy he'd have the better part of a decade left to cash in on his career.  I frankly don't see the down side.  It's not like 20+$M is chicken feed.    

With respect to his health not only was he fine last night in live action but he hasn’t missed a day of TC with rest, had any swelling, or even a single setback since he was activated last year. 

The issue with a trade is you need that scenario where a contending team loses their QB and it’s rare. And if it does happen we have to possibly compete with the eagles and foles. 

Seriously, why would Bridgewater want to re-up here?

Especially if he feels he’s totally healthy?

This makes less than zero sense.

If his knee is right, he could probably start for at least 5-8 teams in the league and fetch a contract in the $16-18 million a year range judging by the current market.

You move him for a pick, period. We need as many assets to build around Darnold as possible.

It would be interesting to see Teddy's response if the Jets put a 2/24 or 3/36 guaranteed contract extension in front of him right now.

He just went through some psychological turmoil with the career threatening injury.  He might take the life changing money and still be young enough for another big time contract or two.

The Jets would have the Josh money coming off the books, be completely covered with two quarterbacks, and still be way under what the league is paying franchise QB's.

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Seriously, why would Bridgewater want to re-up here?

Especially if he feels he’s totally healthy?

This makes less than zero sense.

If his knee is right, he could probably start for at least 5-8 teams in the league and fetch a contract in the $16-18 million a year range judging by the current market.

You move him for a pick, period. We need as many assets to build around Darnold as possible.

I’m not sure it’s that simple.  The guy is coming off a traumatic injury and is 25.  Plus he and his agent know there is no more marketable player in sports then the “good backup QB”. 

Take $20 million, keep working, and be an UFA at 27 with zero question marks and you are looking at a Big payday. 

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just curious, which 8 teams?

If you don't think Teddy could start for up to a quarter of the league, why would you cry about trading him for a pick? 

*awaits inevitable butt-fumble...

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just curious, which 8 teams?

8 is probably high, but after this year, I could see any of the Florida teams chasing him as a starter.

Miami could very well move on from Tannehill, Tampa Bay could move on from Jameis, and Jacksonville could move on from Bortles. 

The Ravens could move on from Flacco and still believe that Jackson needs more time to develop. 

The Bengals could finally break away from Andy Dalton.

A young QB like Trubisky or somebody could fail to impress in Year 2 and the Bears feel like they need to bring someone in.

i see a bunch of people here that want to sign him, but i thought the entire point of having a young cheap(er) QB in today's NFL was the competitive advantage that affords you. Eagles, Rams, Seahawks...this is the model we are trying to emulate no?

As a jets fan watching yesterday my heart was in my throat every time Darnold got touched, but you cant play prevent here...we have to go for it...and that starts by not overspending on QB.

If anything my ideal would be to keep McCown as QB coach next year and draft a QB in the middle rounds.

Agree it is worth asking the question,  a contract extension like 5yr $35m with incentives for starts, wins, TD's, playoffs, etc... that would pay him starters money if starting and playing well, provides solid future for him and his family, great team member, and also adds to trade value if a starting role opens up and he wants to go, (assumes Sam entrenched as starter and Jets get high draft pick win-win-win)

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I’m not sure it’s that simple.  The guy is coming off a traumatic injury and is 25.  Plus he and his agent know there is no more marketable player in sports then the “good backup QB”. 

Take $20 million, keep working, and be an UFA at 27 with zero question marks and you are looking at a Big payday. 

Two years from now he's potentially a guy who hasn't started a game in four years. Who's giving him a big payday at that point? Can you point to an example of someone signing up to be a backup for two years when they have starting opportunities available to him? 

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

8 is probably high, but after this year, I could see any of the Florida teams chasing him as a starter.

Miami could very well move on from Tannehill, Tampa Bay could move on from Jameis, and Jacksonville could move on from Bortles. 

The Ravens could move on from Flacco and still believe that Jackson needs more time to develop. 

The Bengals could finally break away from Andy Dalton.

A young QB like Trubisky or somebody could fail to impress in Year 2 and the Bears feel like they need to bring someone in.

Agree to disagree.  

If a Miami wanted him they could have had him for a song as their #2 now.  If they want him "after this year" they can wait till his one-year expires and sign him strait up in they sour on Tannehill.  More likely, they'd draft a new QB and backfill with Tanny or some McCown-a-like Veteran.

The Ravens are not trading for Bridgewater this year, and they drafted their prospect already and have a Bridgewater-a-like in RGIII.  

Bengals could move on from Dalton, but what makes you think Bridgewater would be their preference?

Bears aren't dumping Trubisky, now or next year.

This isnt teams "he could start for" now, these are "teams who might take a flying on Bridgewater next year, maybe".

You really don't have to worry about it. TB, if he shows a return to form will not pass up starters money to back-up Darnold. The Jets will probably realize this and trade TB towards the end of TC or the Trading deadline. Either way the better TB plays the sooner he is probably gone.

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

Miami, TB(Winston done in TB)Baltimore (Flacco sucks, Jackson big ?) Arizona (drew Stanton!) Chicago (Trubitski?) vagiants?

Pure fantasy.  Arizona?  You forget they drafted a certain QB this past draft?

Come on.  This is just laughable, really.  

Maybe Tampa on that list IF Tampa is done with Winston (which they're almost assuredly not, yet).

The others?  Lol, dream on.  

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

You really don't have to worry about it. TB, if he shows a return to form will not pass up starters money to back-up Darnold. The Jets will probably realize this and trade TB towards the end of TC or the Trading deadline. Either way the better TB plays the sooner he is probably gone.

The better he plays the higher the price tag.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Maybe Tampa on that list IF Tampa is done with Winston (which they're almost assuredly not, yet).

agree, if other teams were in the hunt he would have signed a bigger contract in the offseason, a Teddy trade depends on an injury to another starter and I can't root for that

Better to keep him on the Jets (extension) to have a positive QB room for the first time since man walked on the moon

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Forgot about Rosen...... my bad. Trubitski does not impress and Flacco/Jackson=?

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Only a fool doesn't have a quality backup QB.

McCown is not a quality anything.

The team needs to plan accordingly.

ESPECIALLY with this shoddy and long neglected O-line.

True but do you hold on to TB knowing he most likely won't pass up starters money to re-sign here? Especially if a guy goes down early on a contending team and they make an offer that cannot be ignored? It would be different if the Jets were on the verge of being a legit contender but as currently constituted they are not there yet. I'm just being realistic here and while I am encouraged at the early showing at the QB position there is a long way to go before I put this team on the same level as a playoff contender.

2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

True but do you hold on to TB knowing he most likely won't pass up starters money to re-sign here?

I do, mostly likely, yes.

I simply do not buy the line that we're going to trade him for a 2nd or 3rd.  I think at best we'd get a 6 or 7.

I value a backup QB > 6th round nobody.

Especially if a guy goes down early on a contending team and they make an offer that cannot be ignored?

I'd have to see that offer happen.  If someone were to offer some great pick, it's worth considering sure.  Of course, it leaves us utterly destitute at QB if Darnold gets hurt, with JAG McCown and then.....who?  Hack back?  Sanchez?  Lol.

It would be different if the Jets were on the verge of being a legit contender but as currently constituted they are not there yet.

Every team is a contender.  This is the NFL.  And personally, I think the attitude of acceptance of losing for some far off future is a bad one, and needs excised from our loss-accepting/supporting fanbase.

I just don't see the likely (as I see it) compensation as worth it.  And I want to try and win WHILE developing Darnold.  I cannot support or accept the loser mentality so many seem to have now of "0-16 is fine if this or that future thing".

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Only a fool doesn't have a quality backup QB.

McCown is not a quality anything.

The team needs to plan accordingly.

ESPECIALLY with this shoddy and long neglected O-line.

Ignoring that McCown's season last year was, statistically, better than anything Teddy did before his injury. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Ignoring that McCown's season last year was, statistically, better than anything Teddy did before his injury. 

And Ryan Fitzpatrick had one of our "Statistically" best seasons in franchise history.

I don't want him to play for us this year (or ever) either.

I agree with @Warfish about valuing a solid backup more than a 6th or 7th round pick. My only concern of not getting enough value in that case is the roster spot. We will be tight at other positions and probably don’t have the luxury of carrying 3 QBs this year. I think we may have to trade him for anything just because of that. Who knows. 

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree with @Warfish about valuing a solid backup more than a 6th or 7th round pick. My only concern of not getting enough value in that case is the roster spot. We will be tight at other positions and probably don’t have the luxury of carrying 3 QBs this year. I think we may have to trade him for anything just because of that. Who knows. 

If we roll with only two QB's, a loser JAG Semi-Coach and a green rookie......wow.

Sorry, I cut/PS the 8th WR or 4th TE before I roll this franchise with only two (really only one) QB.

Not because I doubt Darnold either.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I do, mostly likely, yes.

I simply do not buy the line that we're going to trade him for a 2nd or 3rd.  I think at best we'd get a 6 or 7.

I'd have to see that offer happen.  If someone were to offer some great pick, it's worth considering sure.  Of course, it leaves us utterly destitute at QB if Darnold gets hurt, with JAG McCown and then.....who?  Hack back?  Sanchez?  Lol.

Every team is a contender.  This is the NFL.  And personally, I think the attitude of acceptance of losing for some far off future is a bad one, and needs excised from our loss-accepting/supporting fanbase.

I just don't see the likely (as I see it) compensation as worth it.  And I want to try and win WHILE developing Darnold.  I cannot support or accept the loser mentality so many seem to have now of "0-16 is fine if this or that future thing".

Well if all that is offered for TB is a 6th rounder I would keep him. They did get a veteran WR AND a 2nd for a DL that wasn't going to play for them so once again what is a starting QB worth? I could see a desperate team with Super Bowl aspirations going all in for TB but once again a guy would have to get injured. I'm not hoping for that but it does happen. If not you keep TB unless you get what you want for him. If all that is offered is a 6th I keep TB. I just doubt that will be the case. I also doubt that TB will take a deal from the Jets if Darnold is what he looks like he is. If proven healthy he will want to start as anyone would.

To be clear I AM NOT ACCEPTING LOSING. I'm just being realistic here. I expect to see growth and the record to improve but I do not see them going 12-4 and winning the division. You gotta walk before you can run and right now the Jets are just getting their feet under them. I will not make a prediction record wise but I do believe the record will be better than last years. Who knows? Anything can happen in the NFL and they have no place to go but up. However until I see it on the field I will remain cautiously optimistic.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If we roll with only two QB's, a loser JAG Semi-Coach and a green rookie......wow.

Sorry, I cut/PS the 8th WR or 4th TE before I roll this franchise with only two (really only one) QB.

Not because I doubt Darnold either.

I guess we’ll have to see how things shake out. I know I had heard concerns about carrying 3 QBs before but hell, he carried 4 once so I don’t see why we can carry 3. I just know it’s a possible issue. If we can only get a 6th rounder or later, I would much rather have Teddy as long as there are no major roster issues. I can’t see their being that much of an issue for 3 though. 

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Don't see the Jets trading him for that low of a pick before the season. If that's all they could get, and they feel he's worth more, they'll carry him into the regular season and wait to see if a team suddenly has a pressing need at the position. 

Just now, slats said:

Don't see the Jets trading him for that low of a pick before the season. If that's all they could get, and they feel he's worth more, they'll carry him into the regular season and wait to see if a team suddenly has a pressing need at the position. 

Of course. I was considering up until the trade deadline even.

I am a relatively younger fan, and I don't remember a time in which we had two competitive QBs simultaneously...sometimes we never had 1.

The only thing to do now, knowing how quickly things can change in the NFL, is to secure these assets to put ourselves in an advantageous position. That is extend Bridgewater, and let things play out. Do not go into things with the trade mentality.

Currently, our OL is suspicious, so it makes no sense to risk our biggest investment behind it. 

I’d love to keep Bridgewater as he’s definitely a starter.  If the Jets do trade him it should be for nothing less that a first rounder. I don’t want to make the mistake that the Pats made with Jimmy G. Otherwise, find a way to keep him. 

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

I know trading TB for a second rounder would be great to get a pick to continue build the roster but having a good backup QB is also extremely valuable in the league. By all accounts TB is a smart player who will help Sam with the mental part of the game and isn’t the type of guy to cause problems off the field or with the media. 

Now while I’m sure TB wants to be a starter in the league, he’s only 25.  I wonder if he would turn down a 2 year $20 million extension to be Sam’s backup for 2 seasons, slowing him to still hit FA or be traded before he is 27. 

I know it seems like $10/per is a big number and it is, but given our starter is on a rookie contract and we have a ton of money, spending more (a regular backup is gonna cost $4/5 million per season) for a young quality backup QB isn’t a bad idea in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Its fine if you accept 5-11. 

TB can win games.

I think we're making it more complicated than it is. 

The $10M associated with Josh is spent. Forget about it, is what it is. If TB plays like he did last night, he's your starter. McCown takes on mentorship/inactive role. The problem with that is; MGMT will always opt to get that draft on the account of "committing" to one guy. 

Archived