What would a Bridgewater extension look like? Today's Resign or Trade Thread

Kleckineau

3 hours ago, Freemanm said:

I’d love to keep Bridgewater as he’s definitely a starter.  If the Jets do trade him it should be for nothing less that a first rounder. I don’t want to make the mistake that the Pats made with Jimmy G. Otherwise, find a way to keep him. 

I'm with you in spirit but I don't think we can hold out for a 1st rounder.

For a team that has searched high and low for decades for a young, franchise QB, I still CAN'T BELIEVE that we might actually have 2 of them now!  I'd like to keep both Teddy and Darnold but not sure how we'll really be able to do it.  The Eagles with Wentz and Foles could be the model to observe.

If the Jets defense looks legit and we find another piece or two on offense then a window could quickly open for this team like it did in 2009-2011.  And, if that happens, we'd want both Darnold and Bridge on the roster.

I have a very hard time thinking that we have such a wealth of QBs now that we should be trading any of them.  We've been starved for so long that I'd want to find a way to keep both. Sam is relatively cheap for the next few years (as far as potential franchise QBs go).  I think we can probably afford Teddy for 2019 and maybe 2020.  I'd even consider, as crazy as it sounds, franchising him next year.  Darnold is only about what, $8M cap hit.  McCown and that $10M will be gone.  WE CAN AFFORD TEDDY.

That said, if someone offers us a 2nd rounder I'd probably take it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, prime21 said:

Bridge has more value than McCown on the market.  McCown would make a really good back up and coach as @Adoni Beast said.

Said it elsewhere.

Dress: Sam and Teddy

Street clothes, headset and clipboard: McCown

Its what you paid him for in the first place.

If you award Teddy the starting job, then you extend him for 2 more years - with clauses. Gives Sam room he may need, gives time to make sure Sam won’t bust, and time to maximize Teddy’s value for a trade later.

To trade him now would be risky. I wouldnt do it into it’s clear San is the goods.

46 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Said it elsewhere.

Dress: Sam and Teddy

Street clothes, headset and clipboard: McCown

Its what you paid him for in the first place.

If you award Teddy the starting job, then you extend him for 2 more years - with clauses. Gives Sam room he may need, gives time to make sure Sam won’t bust, and time to maximize Teddy’s value for a trade later.

To trade him now would be risky. I wouldnt do it into it’s clear San is the goods.

This.

Maybe offer him a 2 year top backup money deal now, with a 3rd year as an option. Promise him that he can shop around for a trade in the off-season that includes tearing up the contract.

This way he gets some security with us, while also having the option to move on to a better deal if he can find one. The Jets either get a quality backup for a few years, or fair compensation in a trade.

Mind you, I'm not sure how realistic this is. ?

6 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

It would be interesting to see Teddy's response if the Jets put a 2/24 or 3/36 guaranteed contract extension in front of him right now.

He just went through some psychological turmoil with the career threatening injury.  He might take the life changing money and still be young enough for another big time contract or two.

The Jets would have the Josh money coming off the books, be completely covered with two quarterbacks, and still be way under what the league is paying franchise QB's.

I’m sure that that would really make Darnold and his agent feel warm and fuzzy.

“You’re the franchise and we’re behind you 100%. BUT....we’re going to resign a guy that wants to start at your position AND use resources that could go to towards supporting your play to pay the other guy. He’ll make more money than you as well, but it really means nothing.”

5 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree with @Warfish about valuing a solid backup more than a 6th or 7th round pick. My only concern of not getting enough value in that case is the roster spot. We will be tight at other positions and probably don’t have the luxury of carrying 3 QBs this year. I think we may have to trade him for anything just because of that. Who knows. 

A 6th or 7th? Where’d you get that from? 

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'd keep all three (as I've said).

Teddy would start week 1 if he keeps looking as good as last night.  Need to see ALOT more before I tryst that tho.

Darnold would take over at some point, maybe a few weeks in, unless Teddy is lighting it up/winning alot of games.

McCown would never see the field, he'd be exclusively a sideline Coach-in-uniform-and-cheerleader.

A 5th or 6th rounder isn't worth trading away a solid guy (it seems) to hold the fort till Darnold is truly ready, and could perhaps win a few doing so.

I'd rather have two QB's than one, but thats me.

Dont understand that plan at all but that is me. Darnold is not a wilting flower that will be crushed and ruined by pressure. He was the best QB on the field last night by a large margin and there is not a single valid reason not to name him the starter right now and do all you can to prepare him. Franchise QBs require 100% commitment.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If you’re a Jets fan, you need to wish for a Kirk Cousins sprained knee ligament over the course of the next two weeks, at which point you can roll up to the Vikings with a ski mask and steal all their draft picks in exchange for Bridgewater 

Yep, said this as soon as the Jets drafted Darnold.  Ultimate justice would be if Cousins gets hurt in preseason, and the Vikes had to cough up a 2nd and a 3rd to keep their season alive.  Man would Vikes fans be howling.  

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yep, said this as soon as the Jets drafted Darnold.  Ultimate justice would be if Cousins gets hurt in preseason, and the Vikes had to cough up a 2nd and a 3rd to keep their season alive.  Man would Vikes fans be howling.  

Yeah, but we deserve it 

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

You don’t spend 40 years looking for a QB, suddenly find 2, and dump 1 asap... unless you’re goal is to be as jetsy as possible.

Because 1 of them, Teddy, is not under contract after this year and isn't going to sign as a backup to Darnold next year. He is here for 1 year and then when we leaves after the year we get nothing for him (we are also likely to be signing a bunch of FAs in the offseason so wouldn't even get a comp pick back). He probably came to the Jets on the hopes the rookie they drafted would be a bust and if not he also knew that Mccown wouldn't need many reps in camp/preseason so he would have a chance to show off his stuff. 

I also don't get the fans that think the Jets could just extend Teddy. Again, why would he want to sign an extension with a team that is all-in on Darnold. He is better off hitting free agency and hoping 1 or multiple teams need a QB and think he is the answer.  

With that said, I am not giving him away. He is a valuable asset on a team that wants to win games this year. But if we could get a 2nd rounder for him, I don't see how we can say no when odds are he isn't playing this year and won't be coming back next year (assuming Darnold stays healthy). 

Who doesnt agree that the only reason McCown was given this years contract is because the GM never in a million years thought Darnold would be on the board at 3.

For once the Jets may have an embarrassment of riches at the most important position.

Keep Darnold on the bench and let the kid learn.

Play TB. If they make the playoffs he literally becomes 24K gold and Darnold will have had the benefit of not being thrown into the fire and or injured.

McCowns money is spent. Good for him. Good guy / lousy QB.

He is gone after this year anyway and the Jets keep TB they could be developing a Smith Mahommes / Wentz Foles / Brady Garrapolo scenario.

Bridgewater signed a one-year deal with the Jets because he wants to enter the starting QB free agent market next year. He's not resigning with the Jets as a backup. The idea is nonsensical. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Bridgewater signed a one-year deal with the Jets because he wants to enter the starting QB free agent market next year. He's not resigning with the Jets as a backup. The idea is nonsensical. 

Do you see teams still entering into Matt Flynn /Mike Glennon deals though? 

Teddy looked ok yesterday the falcons played an umbrella defense the entire game which favors Teddy’s game which is mostly passes to the flats and drag routes

i saw Teddy do nothing yesterday to suggest his passing ability has gotten better granted it was a small sample

1 hour ago, slats said:

Unless he gets hurt again

15 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

IMHO McCown and his 10$M contract have 0 trade value.  What are you thinking? :) 

McCown doesn't have a 10M contract to the team trading for him, since 5M of that was signing bonus.  He has a 5M contract, which is perfect value for a high-end backup QB.  What a lucky coincidence his money was structured that way.

3 hours ago, slats said:

Exactly.  There's literally no reason Bridgewater would take any such deal right now unless he's completely pissed away all the money he's earned since coming into the league and is too desperate to risk the relatively moderate payday he'd get in a "backup" deal with the Jets against the huge payday he'll get as a FA.  And if he was that desperate, he'd have signed with us for more than 1 year this offseason.  Unless Sam blows out his arm this year, there's zero chance Bridgewater is a Jet in 2019.  Zero.

The only scenario in which Bridge re-ups with the Jets is if the market for him as a potential starter is barren dry.

There would have to be no team that needs a bridge starter (heh) for a rookie. There would have to be no team that was weary of their incumbent that wants somebody to push them for the job. Or there would have to simply be no interest in Bridgewater from anyone to be the QB to fill those roles because of individual factors like weariness over his near career ending knee injury or a distaste for his dink and dunk playing style.

And even THEN I doubt he'd re-sign for more than one year. Because even if he's unlucky enough to not have a QB market hungry for his services in 2019 it makes all the sense in the world to try again the next year. 

So a Jets extension of Teddy looks a lot similar to his current contract; a one year incentive heavy deal with a backup level base salary. However I would imagine that said base salary and the guarantees that come with them would probably be higher than they are now, probably as high as McCown's.

So I'd see a 1 year, 10 million dollar deal (with as much guaranteed) with incentives based on playing time and team success (let's say 250k per regular season start, a million per postseason start all classified as unlikely to receive) 

That's a fair deal for Teddy who gets to pad his resume and wallet a little bit, for the Jets because it gives them a young and viable backup during a potentially more competitive 2019 campaign and for both sides because it's still affordable for anybody that wants to trade for him.

Once again, that assumes there's just no market for the guy beyond his being nothing more than a QB2. If any team were to offer him a chance to start he's GONE, GONE, GONE. 

If things continue to go the way they appear, Sam will eventually be the starter - it is just a question of when

If Bridgewater's knee doesn't hold up or he stinks up the place, the Jets won't want him and he is released. Let's assume that Teddy's knee holds up and he continues to get back into his old form. There is NO way the Jets sign him. If he bounces back, he will want to sign for a team that he has a chance to start - that won't happen here (unless Sam stinks it up) so he will be gone.

That would leave 2 options:

1. Teddy walks at the end of the year, and signs for 10+ million; the Jets may get a comp. pick (possibly 3rd) if they don't sign away FAs.

2. The Jets trade Teddy before the trade deadline.

Again, if both Teddy and Sam continue to show promise, there is no way Teddy is here next year. So, we can either take our chances on a comp. pick or trade Teddy for what we can get. In a year where we don't expect to go to the playoffs, there is no reason to have 3 viable starters on the team.

7 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

That would leave 2 options:

1. Teddy walks at the end of the year, and signs for 10+ million; the Jets may get a comp. pick (possibly 3rd) if they don't sign away FAs.

2. The Jets trade Teddy before the trade deadline.

Again, if both Teddy and Sam continue to show promise, there is no way Teddy is here next year. So, we can either take our chances on a comp. pick or trade Teddy for what we can get. In a year where we don't expect to go to the playoffs, there is no reason to have 3 viable starters on the team.

The Jets have a lot of players on one-year -or the last year- of their contracts this year. It's possible that they net a comp pick or two but, with another $100M to spend in free agency next year and plenty of current and future holes, it's not likely. 

Trading him isn't just the bird-in-the-hand option, it's probably the only one where they get something in return for him. They're running ads in the local papers (disguised as articles) because they're ready to jump at an offer. 

4 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets have a lot of players on one-year -or the last year- of their contracts this year. It's possible that they net a comp pick or two but, with another $100M to spend in free agency next year and plenty of current and future holes, it's not likely. 

Trading him isn't just the bird-in-the-hand option, it's probably the only one where they get something in return for him. They're running ads in the local papers (disguised as articles) because they're ready to jump at an offer. 

Resigning your own players doesn't count against the compensatory picks (including 1 year rentals); I may be wrong, but I believe that if a player is released (to get out of an expensive contract for example), signing that player doesn't count against the comp. picks either. But, yes, a comp pick for him is a long shot.

If he plays well enough that we would want him, he will want to go somewhere where he can start. So, the only value we are likely to get for him is if we trade him.

On 8/11/2018 at 6:00 AM, Kleckineau said:

Maybe a team who feels they are contenders and do not have a legit #2.

would ask for Bridgewater over McCown 100 out of 100 times. It might very well be a team who lost its number 1 to injury that calls the jets to make that trade .

On 8/11/2018 at 7:41 AM, T0mShane said:

If you’re a Jets fan, you need to wish for a Kirk Cousins sprained knee ligament over the course of the next two weeks, at which point you can roll up to the Vikings with a ski mask and steal all their draft picks in exchange for Bridgewater 

I'm thinking more like Nun outfits, like in the movie The Town.

Image result for The Town nun mask

This was discussed AD NAUSEAM in another thread, but here goes again:

It makes TOTAL sense to trade Bridgewater.  With drafting Darnold, he is the future.  Bridgewater was a good option in case we did not happen to get one of the top three guys, and we would have settled for an Allen or a Lamar Jackson.  Bridgewater could have started, and if he improved from his two seasons, good for us.  But in this scenario, he is NOT staying with this team.

THAT SAID:  The issue has been starting Darnold, rather than letting Bridgewater start.  Bridgewater cannot showcase his talent and sign any kind of starting level contract if he does not play.  Unless he sees the bulk of the remaining three pre-season games, nobody will risk signing him unless he has the opportunity to show that knee is completely healed and he can play at a high level after losing 2 seasons.

This was always the point in the other thread expressed by many different people.  Not starting Darnold for the first 3-4 games is not going to ruin him, like it appeared some people were arguing.  Do we REALLY think if he starts the whole season we have a shot at the playoffs, and making some noise?  That said, if Bridgewater starts a couple of games, it could (and there is a risk this could backfire admittedly), but if Bridgewater starts AND plays well for two games, his trade value goes from maybe a 4th-5th round pick to possibly recouping the 2nd round pick it cost us to move up and get Darnold.  

Again, admittedly Teddy could sh*t the bed, he could get hurt, and we get nothing.  But if you are a gambler, why not try and maximize your asset rather than settling?  If we want a second rounder next year, it probably means trading down in the 1st to recoup it.  Why not showcase Teddy a bit and see if there is someone willing to part with a 2? 

On 8/11/2018 at 7:41 AM, T0mShane said:

I'm tempted to think that way, you are correct, but karma is a scary concept... Particularly when you have something to lose.

agree on at least trying to sign bridgewater for next season and beyond.  right now the jets still don't have much cap devoted to the qb position so they can afford to offer a decent deal. the downside is bridgewater does want to be a starter so it's unclear if he'll accept the role.

Archived