What would a Bridgewater extension look like? Today's Resign or Trade Thread

Kleckineau

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rangerous said:

agree on at least trying to sign bridgewater for next season and beyond.  right now the jets still don't have much cap devoted to the qb position so they can afford to offer a decent deal. the downside is bridgewater does want to be a starter so it's unclear if he'll accept the role.

I think it's pretty clear that he won't accept the role until he exhausts every opportunity to get a starting job. If he resigns as Darnold's backup, that'll mean that 31 teams didn't think he deserved a chance to even compete for one. 

If he maintains his level of play from Friday night, either the Jets will find a trading partner or Teddy will find a starting opportunity in free agency next year. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I think it's pretty clear that he won't accept the role until he exhausts every opportunity to get a starting job. If he resigns as Darnold's backup, that'll mean that 31 teams didn't think he deserved a chance to even compete for one. 

If he maintains his level of play from Friday night, either the Jets will find a trading partner or Teddy will find a starting opportunity in free agency next year. 

probably right.  like you said, he won't know about his market as a starter until after the season starts and teams start looking for a guy to replace an injured or ineffectual starter.  at least the jets will know based on the trade interest.

1 hour ago, slats said:

You mean like things were just a few months ago?  Where no one but us signed him, and for pennies?

Also, when one wonders why Jets Luck is so horrible, maybe it's because so much of our fan-base roots for things like other teams QB's getting horribly hurt so we can trade them our backup QB.  Karma can be a real bitch.  Lets hope Darnold doesn't find that out because of the low-moral-values of his new fanbase.

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You mean like things were just a few months ago?  Where no one but us signed him, and for pennies?

Also, when one wonders why Jets Luck is so horrible, maybe it's because so much of our fan-base roots for things like other teams QB's getting horribly hurt so we can trade them our backup QB.  Karma can be a real bitch.  Lets hope Darnold doesn't find that out because of the low-moral-values of his new fanbase.

You haven't seen one post from me wishing for an injury to another teams' QB, so you can take your high-morality shtick and apply it to someone else's post. 

Jets gave Bridgewater a low guarantee, but a respectable base salary and some nice, achievable incentives if he won the starting job. And when he signed, the Jets had no idea what QB they'd wind up with in the draft -or how quickly he'd look the part- and Teddy probably expected an opportunity to cash in on those incentives. Should he still be here opening day, he's guaranteed another 550,000,000 pennies. Not too shabby. Also not too much of an impediment to another team not satisfied with their QB room. 

On 8/11/2018 at 7:28 AM, BCJet said:

I know trading TB for a second rounder would be great to get a pick to continue build the roster but having a good backup QB is also extremely valuable in the league. By all accounts TB is a smart player who will help Sam with the mental part of the game and isn’t the type of guy to cause problems off the field or with the media. 

Now while I’m sure TB wants to be a starter in the league, he’s only 25.  I wonder if he would turn down a 2 year $20 million extension to be Sam’s backup for 2 seasons, slowing him to still hit FA or be traded before he is 27. 

I know it seems like $10/per is a big number and it is, but given our starter is on a rookie contract and we have a ton of money, spending more (a regular backup is gonna cost $4/5 million per season) for a young quality backup QB isn’t a bad idea in my opinion. 

If tb is for real, and stays healthy he would definitely turn down backup job, $$. Jets would have to tag him. At 23 mil ? I don’t think so. I bet tb would take less somewhere else where he has a clearer path to start. Maybe somewhere warm where his knee won’t hurt in the cold. He was successful in dome. A strong OL that will protect his knee is probably on his wish list.

10 minutes ago, slats said:

You haven't seen one post from me wishing for an injury to another teams' QB, so you can take your high-morality shtick and apply it to someone else's post. 

Your entire idea of trading TB for the level of compensation you've stated effectively requires another starter-level QB to go down. 

So yes, you are rooting for another QB to be hurt. 

Spin it however you want.

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Are we allowed to wish some other qb like mark Sanchez gets busted for PEDs and is suspended ? Or is that still low morale ? Lol

On 8/11/2018 at 4:24 PM, slats said:

Bridgewater signed a one-year deal with the Jets because he wants to enter the starting QB free agent market next year. He's not resigning with the Jets as a backup. The idea is nonsensical. 

Not even sure what else needs to be said.

Why so many still can’t seem to grasp this, I haven’t the foggiest.

Teddy will only be 26 years old next offseason and has already had success as a starter in the past. The only reason he isn’t the starting QB right now in Minnesota is because of the freak knee injury.

So why the hell would he want to sign even so much as a 1 year extension here knowing damn well it’s Darnold’s team and he’ll be regulated to backup duty?

It makes less than zero sense.  

Especially when 1 year wonders like Case Keenum are making $18 million a year in todays market.

21 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Are we allowed to wish some other qb like mark Sanchez gets busted for PEDs and is suspended ? Or is that still low morale ? Lol

You are free to set your own moral standards, mate.

Me, I think rooting for other QB's to get hurt, get busted for drugs, etc. is pretty low-class.

On 8/11/2018 at 7:41 AM, T0mShane said:

If you’re a Jets fan, you need to wish for a Kirk Cousins sprained knee ligament over the course of the next two weeks, at which point you can roll up to the Vikings with a ski mask and steal all their draft picks in exchange for Bridgewater 

ok,.. might happen... but  ?

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Your entire idea of trading TB for the level of compensation you've stated effectively requires another starter-level QB to go down. 

So yes, you are rooting for another QB to be hurt. 

Spin it however you want.

I recognize that your master debating style requires you to put words into other poster's mouths or apply the requisite strawmen, but there are other trading possibilities including Teddy simply playing better than another team's starter, and their willingness to make an offer. I've set a minimum level of compensation at a fourth-rounder, so it's not like I'm looking to break the bank. I want something of some value next year rather than nothing. Simple as that. QB for sale, best offer. 

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You are free to set your own moral standards, mate.

Me, I think rooting for other QB's to get hurt, get busted for drugs, etc. is pretty low-class.

Well I do agree with you, about rooting for them to get hurt. I do wish for guys to knock the crap out of tom Brady but not get hurt. I’m not rooting for another qb to do illegal drugs. However, I think it would be low morale not to want them to be caught and punished if they are already  doing something illegal. Are you glad mangini and others blew the whistle on the cheats or do you think they are rats ? 

57 minutes ago, slats said:

I recognize that your master debating style requires you to put words into other poster's mouths or apply the requisite strawmen

Maybe you should care less about me and my "debate style" and more about just posting your own opinions, being consistent in those opinions, and letting their strength carry the day?

Like say, this opinion you posted:

On 4/18/2018 at 9:28 AM, slats said:

I don't like Darnold or Allen, and really think the high expectations on Darnold are going to lead to him being this draft's most colossal bust. All the turnovers are a major concern and his Mayfield-sized hands suggest that he'll continue to have trouble holding onto the ball - especially in the northeast. 

Let me guess, you never really meant Darnold was possibly the "most colossal bust" in this draft, because turnovers, with his tiny little hands in the mean old northeast weather.....I'm putting "words in your mouth" again, right? :rolleyes:  And this certainly wasn't your lone highly critical of Darnold post, was it slats?

By the way, kudos on the massive turnaround on Darnold.  You've come a long way.  

but there are other trading possibilities including Teddy simply playing better than another team's starter

True, there are other possabillities.  But as you yourself have said:

On 6/24/2018 at 2:24 PM, slats said:

Sure, an injury to a starter on a team hoping to contend is the most obvious route, but not the only one.

So clearly you've said that an injury to another starting QB is the "obvious route", i.e. the most likely route to occur. 

So ok, technically you're not "rooting" for it to happen, you're just rooting for "something" to happen, the most obvious route being injury to another teams #1 QB.

The "playing better than another teams #1 QB" portion becomes even more interesting for a guy you said this about:

On 7/26/2018 at 8:50 AM, slats said:

This is a guy whose best offer this offseason was $500k guaranteed to be the #3 option behind Josh McCown and a highly drafted rookie. His former team -who loved the guy!- watched Sam Bradford come in late and put up a better season than he ever had, then watched Case Keenum put up a better season than he ever had the year after that, and considered that along with his knee injury and determined that they'd be better off without him. 

People hyping Teddy up as a potential FQB are out of their minds.  

On 7/30/2018 at 2:32 PM, slats said:

And just like that, Teddy goes from being the second best QB in camp to the third. 

Does that sound like the kind of player that you think is better than a team's established #1?  A guy other teams will trade high-value picks for to replace a non-injured #1 established QB? 

You think our third best QB in camp is a guy another team wants as their #1 QB, without an injury, of course?

Interesting theory. 

I want something of some value next year rather than nothing. Simple as that. QB for sale, best offer. 

You've certainly made your viewpoints clear slats.  

On 8/11/2018 at 11:47 AM, Warfish said:

Sanity and rational thought is my schtick.  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

giphy.gif

Just now, Warfish said:

Let me guess, you never really meant Darnold was possibly the "most colossal bust" in this draft, because turnovers, with his tiny little hands in the mean old northeast weather.....I'm putting "words in your mouth" again, right? :rolleyes:  And this certainly wasn't your lone highly critical of Darnold post, was it slats?

By the way, kudos on the massive turnaround on Darnold.  You've come a long way.  

I was all over the place pre-draft and probably looked the most superficially at Darnold because I didn't think the Jets had any shot at him. Very happy to have been wrong there. I've said many times and I'll say it again for you: I don't watch college ball and I don't pretend to be an expert on the draft. 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So clearly you've said that an injury to another starting QB is the "obvious route", i.e. the most likely route to occur. 

So ok, technically you're not "rooting" for it to happen, you're just rooting for "something" to happen, the most obvious route being injury to another teams #1 QB.

The "playing better than another teams #1 QB" portion becomes even more interesting for a guy you said this about:

Where do I wish for an injury to another team's QB there? Acknowledging that an injury to another team's starter is the most obvious play is different than wishing for such a thing. Do you deny that an injury to another team's starter would improve the Jets chances of getting something more substantial for Bridgewater? 

I'm clearly talking about other options to trade Teddy than just injury to another QB. Weird post for you to quote to try to prove I'm rooting for an injury. 

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Does that sound like the kind of player that you think is better than a team's established #1?  A guy other teams will trade high-value picks for to replace a non-injured #1 established QB? 

You think our third best QB in camp is a guy another team wants as their #1 QB, without an injury, of course?

Interesting theory. 

Interesting, it used to be a 3rd.

He played well in his preseason debut and I'm happy about it, it increases his trade value. Again, not sure where you're going here. The fact that I'm not high on him doesn't mean that I don't think someone else can be high on him. 

Anyway, I appreciate all the attention and effort you put in to dig up quotes from me from as far back as April or more. Shows how much you really care! 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

Shows how much you really care! 

Like you e-stalking my every post tells me how much you care. right?

(P.S. it took about 30 seconds to find those quotes, even on JN's horrible search system.  I.e. not much effort, just FYI).

It's all good.  

You hated Darnold before you loved him and became his biggest all-in fan.

You hated Teddy and thought he sucked before you loved the idea of him getting traded for a high round pick to replace another teams healthy #1.

You know injury is by far the most likely Casus belli for any possible Teddy trade, and you're REALLY rooting hard for that trade, but not the injury, nope.

Ok, good deal.  

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Like you e-stalking my every post tells me how much you care. right?

Hey, it's all good.  

You hated Darnold before you loved him and became his biggest all-in fan.

You hated Teddy and thought he sucked before you loved the idea of him getting traded for a high round pick to replace another teams healthy #1.

You know injury is by far the most likely Casus belli for any possible Teddy trade, and you're REALLY rooting hard for that trade, but not the injury, nope.

Ok, good deal.  

<edit> 

Not bothering. 

On 8/11/2018 at 6:19 AM, Kleckineau said:

McCown: Brief appearance but we know what he is already. Given TBs injury McCown actually may have equal trade value so why not dump him and keep TB.

Darnold: Wow I am so psyched. Kid looked very good last night. Aside from one almost pick he was doing everything very well and he looked very confident plus he will only get better.

Bridgewater: I was somewhat down on this guy before last night and yeah he had the benefit of playing with the 1's but damn he looked good, smooth, confident, went through progressions so nicely and his arm strength impressed me. He moved rally well for a guy with such a terrible injury so maybe he really is fit. McCown is crap. Jets go nowhere with him. I am now firmly in the camp of keeping this TB. Look what having Foles did for Philly last year.

Pryor: 3rd QB and maybe pick another off the scrap heap for the PS.

They are trading McCown. He is the reason Jets did not sign a qb coach. Yes Bates is working with him too, but you can’t expect a first yr Ocord also work full time with a “ rookie “ qb too. I think a lot of people don’t know if Bridgewater knee is going to hold up either when real game contact starts. Couldn’t just go with him and Sam. I’d like to see Bridgewater start 2 games, and then trade him. Team may need a qb by then, and they will know Bridgewater can hold up.

I hope to not get in an accident, but I still buy car insurance. I don't want to die, but I buy life insurance. Being prepared isn't the same thing as rooting for a problem.

I don't root for any player to get hurt (wouldn't mind seeing an errant ball knock the smug look off of Belly's face, however), but QBs going down is unfortunately a fact of playing in the NFL. Forget QBs, how many players on other teams are already lost for the season. Bridgewater went down and the Eagles scored a 1st for the QB. Wentz went down. It is a fact and risk of playing in the NFL. The odds are pretty good that either a QB on a playoff contender will either get hurt or fail to impress. Holding on to an asset just in case that happens is not wishing for an injury any more than buying a generator (or snow blower) in case they are needed. If I bought a new snow blower, I would likely wait until winter to sell the old one, not because I am hoping for someone to get snowed in or for their snow blower to die, but because it has better market value. Nothing sinister, just good business sense....

On 8/11/2018 at 5:36 AM, LIJetsFan said:

IMHO McCown and his 10$M contract have 0 trade value.  What are you thinking? :) 

Not so sure about that...

Look at Jax's roster....if Bortles regresses or gets hurt, you don't think McCown Kessler and Lee?  That's a team that went to the AFC Championship last year with a great D and running game.

McCown would fit PERFECTLY.

Not saying they'd do it in PS, but during the season?  Perhaps...

Look around the league at the backup QBs...McCown and yes Bridgewater are better than most.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

72BD1302-5D91-4C1C-AE38-580799C9D51A.jpeg

Why? I mean it would be akin to a cousins situation. Imagine he puts up 25tds and 7 picks. You gonna franchise him or just say oh what the heck and let him hit FA. If I am the FO I tag him before letting that happen

Everyone keeps saying TB is looking for a starter's gig like thats fact or common knowledge.  Probably is true, but who knows..at this point?

No one's living with Bridgewater's knee, and TC ain't even near over.  Who knows how he'll hold up...at this point, not sure TB knows either.

Even if he's on the roster for the season and sitting behind Darnold/McCown, if he looks good in PS and signs a 'possible starter' deal for next season, it isn't like he's going to get an outrageous amount of guaranteed money anyway due to the concern about his knee (it is what it is, and will continue to be an issue until he shows some longevity in a starter's role..it's unfortunate but true).

There are a lot of ways to make money in the NFL, and a $5 mill/yr backup QB job isn't shabby and might do a lot to increase TB's 'longevity' in the NFL at his age and with his injury history.  Quality play in spot starts in injury time and he could be a backup QB for over 10 yrs while sparing/maintaining his knee in the process.

Anyway, if you keep him this year on the roster, he's gonna get $5 mill.  So, can't believe he'd not consider a 4yr/$20 mill backup deal with a $10 mill SB and bases of $2.5 mill/yr.  We have the cap space, and he'd be a valuable trading chip for the right deal at the right time for at least a few yrs...It's unlikely that he'd get more than $10 mill upfront from anyone else as a starter until he shows he can last a season or more.  It's not like TB has raked in the cash at this point before as he was on his rookie deal to begin with.

Just a thought.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:57 AM, BCJet said:

I’m not sure it’s that simple.  The guy is coming off a traumatic injury and is 25.  Plus he and his agent know there is no more marketable player in sports then the “good backup QB”. 

Take $20 million, keep working, and be an UFA at 27 with zero question marks and you are looking at a Big payday. 

Unless of course he blows his knee out in a practice without contact.  It happened once already.

7 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Anyway, if you keep him this year on the roster, he's gonna get $5 mill.  So, can't believe he'd not consider a 4yr/$20 mill backup deal with a $10 mill SB and bases of $2.5 mill/yr.  We have the cap space, and he'd be a valuable trading chip for the right deal at the right time for at least a few yrs...It's unlikely that he'd get more than $10 mill upfront from anyone else as a starter until he shows he can last a season or more.  It's not like TB has raked in the cash at this point before as he was on his rookie deal to begin with.

This year, Case Keenum signed for two years, $36M, Sam Bradford (talk about injury concerns!) one year, $20M, and Tyrod Taylor got a one year, $16M deal. 

There will most likely be opportunities like that for Bridgewater next year. He's been a starter in this league and has been in the playoffs. People gush about him as a person. QBs are in short supply. He will never sign a four-year backup deal. That simply isn't happening. There's a tiny chance that no one wants to give him a shot at a starting job and he comes back as a backup on another one year deal, but, again, it's highly unlikely. A two-year, $30+M contract is probably what he's looking at if he continues to perform well this preseason and makes it thru the year healthy. 

Paxton Lynch - QB -  Broncos

Broncos GM John Elway said during a Tuesday radio appearance that the club might not "stand pat" with the current options behind starter Case Keenum.

"We’ve got to have confidence that that guy that’s going to be the backup can play and win football games," Elway said. "Even though Chad [Kelly] played very well on Saturday night — we’ll see how he does this week — but if something were to happen to Case, can he come in and continue to win football games for us? That’s the big part of the evaluation process and that’s still going on." Kelly was promoted to No. 2 following his performance (14-21-177-2-1) against the Vikings Saturday and will play with the second-string offense against the Bears this upcoming week. It sounds as if the Broncos and Elway have theoretically moved on from Lynch.
Related: Broncos

Aug 14 - 6:32 PM

On 8/13/2018 at 11:54 AM, Jetsplayer21 said:

They are trading McCown. He is the reason Jets did not sign a qb coach. Yes Bates is working with him too, but you can’t expect a first yr Ocord also work full time with a “ rookie “ qb too. I think a lot of people don’t know if Bridgewater knee is going to hold up either when real game contact starts. Couldn’t just go with him and Sam. I’d like to see Bridgewater start 2 games, and then trade him. Team may need a qb by then, and they will know Bridgewater can hold up.

I think there is less than zero chance of the Jets trading McCown. He is Darnold's mentor and likely future QB coach if McCown wants to go that direction. Trading Bridgewater since he is on a one year contract is maybe more than a 50% likelihood at this point.

23 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I think there is less than zero chance of the Jets trading McCown. He is Darnold's mentor and likely future QB coach if McCown wants to go that direction. Trading Bridgewater since he is on a one year contract is maybe more than a 50% likelihood at this point.

Thanks for pointing it out I left out “ not “ trading McCown. My phone doesn’t type so well after dropping in ocean ha 

On 8/13/2018 at 10:25 PM, TheMo said:

Why? I mean it would be akin to a cousins situation. Imagine he puts up 25tds and 7 picks. You gonna franchise him or just say oh what the heck and let him hit FA. If I am the FO I tag him before letting that happen

The Knicks will win the NBA championship before anyone ever uses a franchise tag on Bridgewater 

23 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If we did get an offer for McCown take it.  Sam can learn without him that’s what the multi-million dollar CS is for

On 8/14/2018 at 6:53 AM, slats said:

This year, Case Keenum signed for two years, $36M, Sam Bradford (talk about injury concerns!) one year, $20M, and Tyrod Taylor got a one year, $16M deal. 

There will most likely be opportunities like that for Bridgewater next year. He's been a starter in this league and has been in the playoffs. People gush about him as a person. QBs are in short supply. He will never sign a four-year backup deal. That simply isn't happening. There's a tiny chance that no one wants to give him a shot at a starting job and he comes back as a backup on another one year deal, but, again, it's highly unlikely. A two-year, $30+M contract is probably what he's looking at if he continues to perform well this preseason and makes it thru the year healthy. 

Keenum looked God-awful in that preseason game. 

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

If we did get an offer for McCown take it.  Sam can learn without him that’s what the multi-million dollar CS is for

If someone offers a 4th for bridewater. it would take a 2nd for them to trade McCown.,but a sh*t team who will likely pick early like jets, maybe a 3rd

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

If someone offers a 4th for bridewater. it would take a 2nd for them to trade McCown.,but a sh*t team who will likely pick early like jets, maybe a 3rd

ANy GM who offered a 2nd for McCown should be fired on the spot.  I’d be thrilled if we even got a 5th for either qb And if McCown is such a great mentor why were Hack and Petty both horrible?

Archived