6 players who helped themselves and 5 who hurt themselves vs Falcons

These are 6 guys who I thought might be longshots to make the team who now seem like they have a much better shot

1. Charles Johnson WR - looked like a solid to good NFL WR to me
  2. Ben Braden OL - who's a better backup guard on the roster? Might depend if Swanson or Harrison wins a spot as a C/G
  3. Taylor Bertolet PK - still don't think he wins the job, but he looked like he could make it a real battle
  4. Lawrence Thomas FB - just seems to be a solid all player who can help on special teams   - seems way ahead of Flowers 
  5. Neville Hewitt LB - Probably thought he was going to make the team anyway, but he really looked good all night 
  6. Clive Walford TE - assuming Herndon and Sterling are in, Walford made a case to be the 3rd guy 

5 Guys Who Really Hurt Their Chances vs Falcons

1. Antonio Garcia OT - I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but ....um....He didn't play great
  2. Harry Anderson DE - He will probably make the team, but I didn't see anything special, X Cooper looked better to me
  3. Dylan Donahue LB - Had a sack and he does play hard, but he just looks small and unathletic compared to other OLBs 
  4. Ardarius Stewart WR &....
  5. Chad Hansen WR - maybe it was part of some sort of plan, but they didn't play much and several other WRs looked better
  • Upvote 2

I thought I saw Donahue make some plays in coverage on special teams, which may be his best route onto the roster.  

Walford may still be a long shot -- I assume Tomlinson is ahead of him, we need a blocking tight end.  He is probably behind Sterling (if healthy) and Herndon.  And Leggett would probably get the benefit of the doubt ahead of him as a 5th round pick from last year (if he ever can get his butt on the field).

As for Garcia, he looked like he doesn't belong.  Don't know if he is still regaining his strength from the illness, or if he just sucks.  Practice squad is his ceiling if it is just a question of regaining strength but right now he has no more business being on an NFL field than I do.

• Upvote 1

I thought Luvu played really well. On two separate plays he maintained the edge and helped string out the play so other guys made the tackle.  For some reason he just seems like a player that “gets it” to me. 

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Trent Cannon as a punt returner might be a question mark. 

They need to end that experiment right now. Cannon has a real chance to help this team on offense with his Big play ability, but he’s still got a lot to learn. I don’t think there’s any reason to add a job to his plate that is very difficult. I don’t care if we fair catch every punt, let’s not stunt cannon’s development 

• Upvote 3

I’m really disappointed in Stewart. What a freaking waste of space and a 3rd round pick. I just hope at least Hansen pans out but after practicing with Darnold, I haven’t heard much about him and worry. At least the 2017 draft class is still an upgrade from the prior years but not by much. 

• Upvote 3
50 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

These are 6 guys who I thought might be longshots to make the team who now seem like they have a much better shot

2. Ben Braden OL - who's a better backup guard on the roster? Might depend if Swanson or Harrison wins a spot as a C/G
  3. Taylor Bertolet PK - still don't think he wins the job, but he looked like he could make it a real battle
  4. Lawrence Thomas FB - just seems to be a solid all player who can help on special teams   - seems way ahead of Flowers 
  5. Neville Hewitt LB - Probably thought he was going to make the team anyway, but he really looked good all night 
  6. Clive Walford TE - assuming Herndon and Sterling are in, Walford made a case to be the 3rd guy 

5 Guys Who Really Hurt Their Chances vs Falcons

1. Antonio Garcia OT - I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but ....um....He didn't play great
  2. Harry Anderson DE - He will probably make the team, but I didn't see anything special, X Cooper looked better to me
  3. Dylan Donahue LB - Had a sack and he does play hard, but he just looks small and unathletic compared to other OLBs 
  4. Ardarius Stewart WR &....
  5. Chad Hansen WR - maybe it was part of some sort of plan, but they didn't play much and several other WRs looked better

Disagree on Donahue otherwise looks pretty good.

also Cannon muffed those punt returns ... def hurt themselves with keeping that role 

• Upvote 2
52 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Charles Johnson had an odd series.    Dropped a TD pass after getting open.   Drew a penalty on a borderline push off, negating a TD.   Made a nice play and caught a TD.   All in the same area in the end zone.

• Upvote 2

I liked Cannon as a running back. He attacks the line unlike what we have been seeing from Jets RBs for the past, I don't know 7-8 years now, When he gets the ball he is already looking for the next 5 yards-one thing though, take away his punt return gloves and never allow him to attempt another-ever. Again. Put a hands guy back there. Atkinson, had a real shot to show something and all he showed us is that the apple must have rolled away from the tree because he's not his father's son as far as football play goes.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

i am not at all for Charles Johnson making this team. Didn't he drop and then push off in the end zone on consecutive plays? that combined with the fact that he is a career JAG...pass.

a little unfair because the offensive PI call was bs...imo.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

I liked Cannon as a running back. He attacks the line unlike what we have been seeing from Jets RBs for the past, I don't know 7-8 years now, When he gets the ball he is already looking for the next 5 yards-one thing though, take away his punt return gloves and never allow him to attempt another-ever. Again. Put a hands guy back there. Atkinson, had a real shot to show something and all he showed us is that the apple must have rolled away from the tree because he's not his father's son as far as football play goes.

Also, it seems he could be an option out of the backfield.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Nope they didn’t play.

Thanks. Just making sure. Aside from the other rookies who played well, I really wanted to see Herndon and Nickerson after constantly reading nothing but good things about them in camp.

• Upvote 3

What about Anthony Wint guys? He played greal solid. Minter played well, I like how he caught the flat route right before it developed and stopped the first down because not s single player on D besides him sniffed it out.

Neville Hewit is an awesome coverage LB with awesome instincts and should be valuable in sub packages. Just realized those are 3 MLB’s...I really like our MLB depth..I don’t wanna cut any of them.

• Upvote 1

Where was herndon???

I was very disappointed in cannon after all the hype.  Guy had no clue how to be patient and let the line block for him and also had nothing laterally.  I thought he was a leon washington type but he has no moves to juke a defender or cutback.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, KSJets said:

Thanks. Just making sure. Aside from the other rookies who played well, I really wanted to see Herndon and Nickerson after constantly reading nothing but good things about them in camp.

Barring another injury, they should be ready for Redskins/Jets on Aug. 16th

1 hour ago, ljr said:

Disagree on Donahue otherwise looks pretty good.

also Cannon muffed those punt returns ... def hurt themselves with keeping that role 

I think it was a pretty big clue that they didn't let a little quick guy like that return punts in college.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Charles Johnson had an odd series.    Dropped a TD pass after getting open.   Drew a penalty on a borderline push off, negating a TD.   Made a nice play and caught a TD.   All in the same area in the end zone.

Johnson has been a popular target for both Teddy and Darnold at practices.  If it comes down to him vs Stewart, sign me up for #88. 

1 hour ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

a little unfair because the offensive PI call was bs...imo.

I'm looking to see a detailed replay from the beginning of the play.  If there was a push off, it was NOT near the end zone.  The big screen replay they showed did not reveal contact unless it was well before the ball was thrown.  The defenser was screaming push off from the moment he got up.  It might have happened much earlier in the play. 

38 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Where was herndon???

I was very disappointed in cannon after all the hype.  Guy had no clue how to be patient and let the line block for him and also had nothing laterally.  I thought he was a leon washington type but he has no moves to juke a defender or cutback.

Had nothing laterally as in he had no lateral quickness?

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

Cannon was impressive because the OL was getting no push whatsoever and he was still making positive plays. With good blocking he could be deadly. He is small but he doesnt have that fragile look to him at all.

• Upvote 1
Barring another injury, they should be ready for Redskins/Jets on Aug. 16th

As a life long Canes fan I am here to tell you, Herndon will be worth the wait. The man is a beast and will end up as the #1 TE on the Jets roster. He will be a force to deal with for a long time, our version of Gronk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Worse than a question mark. He is not a punt returner at this point in his career. He proved that last night. 

He never was a punt returner, thats the jets trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole.  Let him be a running back and catching the ball out of the backfield.  I think he is the most explosive back we have on the roster.