Josh Rosen the One Who Got Away?????

Charlie Brown

33 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

“OFFENSIVE “ assistant. For 2 different teams. Nice backtrack ?

Browns/Ravens were one team, then he spent the next ten years on the defensive side of the ball before the Jets hired him. 

This is not the hill you want to die on. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, slats said:

The guy says he was the DC of the Pats when the Jets hired him, you post a blurb demonstrating that he was, in fact, the DC of the Pats when the Jets hired him, and then declared him wrong about that. 

Huh? 

Lol. Ok slats you are obviously jumping in the middle of a late comment. I will catch you up.

What started as me pointing out rex and Todd both pick and sign Defense, defense, defense, because they are DCs at heart still. Never appreciated O much. Mac and. Mike both supported their HCs wishes. We were discussing how mangini actually valued a OL, used a 4th overall and 33rd both for OL. No way the DC minded rex and Bowles push their gm for the same. Someone said well mangini was a dc too. Which we all know he had D experience. I never argued that. I was merely pointing how unlike rex and Bowles obviously, mangini did have offensive coaching experience. Learned under B.B. he was not just the D guru rex and Bowles are. I took it as Rays was disputing mangini had offensive coaching experience. Now you understand I’m sure ?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol. Ok slats you are obviously jumping in the middle of a late comment. I will catch you up.

What started as me pointing out rex and Todd both pick and sign Defense, defense, defense, because they are DCs at heart still. Never appreciated O much. Mac and. Mike both supported their HCs wishes. We were discussing how mangini actually valued a OL, used a 4th overall and 33rd both for OL. No way the DC minded rex and Bowles push their gm for the same. Someone said well mangini was a dc too. Which we all know he had D experience. I never argued that. I was merely pointing how unlike rex and Bowles obviously, mangini did have offensive coaching experience. Learned under B.B. he was not just the D guru rex and Bowles are. I took it as Rays was disputing mangini had offensive coaching experience. Now you understand I’m sure ?‍♂️

He was a low-level offensive assistant for two years (for the same team) before following former DC Bill Belichick to the Jets and then the Pats to spend the next decade on the defensive side of the ball. You think those two early years had an influence on him? If so, probably not much more than his public relations or ball boy experience. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

He was a low-level offensive assistant for two years (for the same team) before following former DC Bill Belichick to the Jets and then the Pats to spend the next decade on the defensive side of the ball. You think those two early years had an influence on him? If so, probably not much more than his public relations or ball boy experience. 

He learned under B.B. did he not ? B.B. was a DC, but he also valued offense no? In fact pats have had a top O, and weak D for many years. B.B. drafts and signs O. Mangini and mike did not just draft Defense. They did not just sign top FAs like rex and Bowles did. That is the point. You cannot possible argue that. Please tell me you think we pick “both “ D brick and mangold if either rex or Bowles was the HC ?? ?

28 minutes ago, slats said:

Browns/Ravens were one team, then he spent the next ten years on the defensive side of the ball before the Jets hired him. 

This is not the hill you want to die on. 

And yet after some time off he went back to offensive side with 9ers, before again switching to DC. So 3 teams with Offense.

28CF8BE5-ED54-449A-A758-5BA6490AD025.png

9EBEAEF3-B870-40B0-9973-13FFC7633376.png

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

He learned under B.B. did he not ? B.B. was a DC, but he also valued offense no? In fact pats have had a top O, and weak D for many years. B.B. drafts and signs O. Mangini and mike did not just draft Defense. They did not just sign top FAs like rex and Bowles did. That is the point. You cannot possible argue that. Please tell me you think we pick “both “ D brick and mangold if either rex or Bowles was the HC ?? ?

Dude, whatever floats your boat. You made the comment that a non-DC drafted two OL in the first round, was wrong about that, and are now doing gymnastics to validate your original wrong statement. Honestly, I wouldn't care if you hadn't quoted Mangini's wiki page citing the fact that he was the DC of the Pats when the Jets hired him while telling another poster he was wrong about Mangini being the DC of the Pats when the Jets hired him. 

Credit the guy for drafting Brick and Mangold all you like, but attributing it to two early years on the offensive side of the ball before spending a decade on the defensive side is a remarkable stretch. 

Carry on. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Dude, whatever floats your boat. You made the comment that a non-DC drafted two OL in the first round, was wrong about that, and are now doing gymnastics to validate your original wrong statement. Honestly, I wouldn't care if you hadn't quoted Mangini's wiki page citing the fact that he was the DC of the Pats when the Jets hired him while telling another poster he was wrong about Mangini being the DC of the Pats when the Jets hired him. 

Credit the guy for drafting Brick and Mangold all you like, but attributing it to two early years on the offensive side of the ball before spending a decade on the defensive side is a remarkable stretch. 

Carry on. 

3, bud. I know you don’t like to admit when you are wrong, but you clearly are here. He was obviously not a D only guru like rex  and Bowles, was my point. Let me know if Todd Bowles next job is a tight end coach for a nfl team ?

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

And yet after some time off he went back to offensive side with 9ers, before again switching to DC. So 3 teams with Offense.

28CF8BE5-ED54-449A-A758-5BA6490AD025.png

9EBEAEF3-B870-40B0-9973-13FFC7633376.png

Ugh, yeah. Being out of the league for years after his last head coaching gig, signs for a season as a TE coach, and that somehow validates the notion that eight years previous he drafted two OL because of his offensive ties. Never mind that that job only lasted one year before he was back on defense - and then back out of the league. 

3, bud. I know you don’t like to admit when you are wrong, but you clearly are here. He was obviously not a D only guru like rex  and Bowles, was my point. Let me know if Todd Bowles next job is a tight end coach for a nfl team ?

See above, the third being a one year stint after being fired from the Jets and Browns and out of the league for years. I guess his time machine makes that year as the 49ers' TE coach years later somehow relevant to the discussion of who Tannenbaum drafted in 2006. 

don't like to admit that I'm wrong? Whoooo-boy. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Ugh, yeah. Being out of the league for years after his last head coaching gig, signs for a season as a TE coach, and that somehow validates the notion that eight years previous he drafted two OL because of his offensive ties. Never mind that that job only lasted one year before he was back on defense - and then back out of the league. 

See above, the third being a one year stint after being fired from the Jets and Browns and out of the league for years. I guess his time machine makes that year as the 49ers' TE coach years later somehow relevant to the discussion of who Tannenbaum drafted in 2006. 

don't like to admit that I'm wrong? Whoooo-boy. 

You are refusing to admit the truth slats. It was not “ 1 yr “as you wrongly stated above. it was “2 years “  in a “ offensive capacity with the 9ers. I repeat 2 years ?‍♂️ 

One as offensive consultant” before taking over tight ends following yr. before then going back as DC. Ya I am sure I can envision Todd Bowles or rex ryan as a “ offensive consultant “ ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2015/01/22/report-49ers-hire-eric-mangini-as-defensive-coordinator/amp/

You are refusing to admit the truth slats. It was not “ 1 yr “as you wrongly stated above. it was “2 years “  in a “ offensive capacity with the 9ers. I repeat 2 years ?‍♂️ 

One as offensive consultant” before taking over tight ends following yr. before then going back as DC. Ya I am sure I can envision Todd Bowles or rex ryan as a “ offensive consultant “ ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2015/01/22/report-49ers-hire-eric-mangini-as-defensive-coordinator/amp/

Here: I was wrong about his tenure as a TE coach eight years after the Jets drafted two OL in the first round. It was two years. 

Everything else is gobbledygook. I never said anything about Rex or Bowles, just said that Mangini was a DC just like them when he was hired, contrary to your original post. Care to offer up your own admission of refusing to admit the truth? I've done my part. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Here: I was wrong about his tenure as a TE coach eight years after the Jets drafted two OL in the first round. It was two years. 

Everything else is gobbledygook. I never said anything about Rex or Bowles, just said that Mangini was a DC just like them when he was hired, contrary to your original post. Care to offer up your own admission of refusing to admit the truth? I've done my part. 

What was I wrong about ? 

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

What was I wrong about ? 

Dude, I'm done. You can rationalize two early years on the offensive side before Belichick moved him to the defensive side of the ball for the next ten years as some kind of well-roundedness all you like. I'm out. 

On 8/11/2018 at 10:45 PM, Charlie Brown said:

Some of us loved Josh Rosen and those of us who did know he just got on the field just now.....

How'd he look?

Rosen was a little nervous to me, went 3 and out but I really believe that he will be special.

However now I am a Sam I Am junkie but still wish Rosen the best.. :) 

I went back and listened to the April 26 "The Ringer NFL Show" podcast w/Mike Lombardi. His son Mick is Jets Asst QB coach. Mike questioned Cleveland's draft management by taking Mayfied #1 because he said Baker would be there at #4. He felt they bought into the talk that the Jets would take Mayfield at #3. He said he knows, as a whole, that the Jets liked Rosen over Mayfield. They liked Darnold the most but never thought he'd make it to them.

IIRC Jets beat guys said after the draft Mayfield was the pick if Darnold wasn't there.    

He also said he knew Devner wanted CB Ward. Buffalo thought they had a trade to #5 but once Chubb was still there Den called it off

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Dude, I'm done. You can rationalize two early years on the offensive side before Belichick moved him to the defensive side of the ball for the next ten years as some kind of well-roundedness all you like. I'm out. 

Lol. All I was trying to point out, was when mangini was here he went balls out to build a Strong OL. After he was gone, the two D gurus pushed D and ignored the OL. Not only did mangini use two very valuable picks for dbrick and mangold, we signed fanaca and woody too Same yr. they were costly too. Fanaca become highest paid OL. So you can not argue mangini did not value a strong OL, unlike the next  2. Rex took advantage of the OL mangini/mike t built. They then ignored to patch it up after fanaca and woody become old. Eagles made their backup look better than brady because their line was so good. Maybe the next regime will understand. Ya I’m done with this topic now. 

4 hours ago, C Mart said:

I went back and listened to the April 26 "The Ringer NFL Show" podcast w/Mike Lombardi. His son Mick is Jets Asst QB coach. Mike questioned Cleveland's draft management by taking Mayfied #1 because he said Baker would be there at #4. He felt they bought into the talk that the Jets would take Mayfield at #3. He said he knows, as a whole, that the Jets liked Rosen over Mayfield. They liked Darnold the most but never thought he'd make it to them.

IIRC Jets beat guys said after the draft Mayfield was the pick if Darnold wasn't there.    

He also said he knew Devner wanted CB Ward. Buffalo thought they had a trade to #5 but once Chubb was still there Den called it off

Hmmmm

I floated the idea originally (as a conjecture) and some have stated it as well that the Jets baited Cleveland in to panicking for Baker Mayfied.  Do you think that is in any way a possibility?

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmm

I floated the idea originally (as a conjecture) and some have stated it as well that the Jets baited Cleveland in to panicking for Baker Mayfied.  Do you think that is in any way a possibility?

It’s possible but IMO I don’t think so. I’m of the believe that if you really like a guy, especially a QB and you’re a team that’s passed up Wentz and Watson, don’t get cute. Take the guy you like. 

I could see the prior Cleveland regime doing that but Dorsey and McCloughan are pretty good and respected football guys

6 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol. All I was trying to point out, was when mangini was here he went balls out to build a Strong OL. After he was gone, the two D gurus pushed D and ignored the OL. Not only did mangini use two very valuable picks for dbrick and mangold, we signed fanaca and woody too Same yr. they were costly too. Fanaca become highest paid OL. So you can not argue mangini did not value a strong OL, unlike the next  2. Rex took advantage of the OL mangini/mike t built. They then ignored to patch it up after fanaca and woody become old. Eagles made their backup look better than brady because their line was so good. Maybe the next regime will understand. Ya I’m done with this topic now. 

It was more a product of the jets giving big contract extensions to both Brick and Mangold and Tanenbaum sticking us in bad cap situations giving Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes big contracts

Tanenbaum used a second round pick on Ducasse in 2010.  Ducasse sucked here but went on to start with other teams.  

18 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We were discussing how mangini actually valued a OL, used a 4th overall and 33rd both for OL

Mangold was the 29th selection. The pick we got for Abe

18 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Not only did mangini use two very valuable picks for dbrick and mangold, we signed fanaca and woody too Same yr. 

Faneca was a year or two later. Pete Kendall was the guy between Nick n' Brick when they were rookies

Thought I would throw this in here..He'll be fine..And Tiger, Brady are notorious for being visibly upset and they've had pretty, pretty good careers. Show emotion and the media questions you..Don't show emotion and the media (and fans) question you. 

Another Frustrating Day for Rosen

By ROBERT KLEMKO 

August 14, 2018

WHO: Arizona Cardinals
WHERE: Glendale, Ariz. University of Phoenix Stadium
WHEN: Monday, Aug. 13
HOW: Flew from Denver to Phoenix

Sam Bradford got the day off as the rest of the Cardinals labored in the friendly confines of Arizona’s indoor stadium, so it was Josh Rosen’s time to shine with the ones. He did so with the benefit of a less-than-live pass rush after Saturday’s harried, inconsistent performance behind a poor performance from the second-string offensive line. Sorry to say, the 10th overall selection in the 2018 draft didn’t look much better against his own teammates. Part of that can be blamed on a wide receiver group without a clear No. 2 to Larry Fitzgerald, but many of Rosen’s wounds were self-inflicted. While his footwork looked solid, Rosen air-mailed several balls at the goal line and down the sidelines, and looked out of sync with route-runners.

Conversely, undrafted free agent quarterback Chad Kanoff is making the most of his opportunity under center, and seems to have a fighting chance at supplanting Mike Glennon as the No. 3 quarterback on the roster. The Princeton product’s accuracy on deep balls Monday, particularly on one bomb to Trent Sherfield, made it hard to tell who was the first-round pick and who played his college ball in the Ivy League (no offense to the Ivy League, which has much more going for it than football).

Here's the strange thing about watching Rosen and Kanoff side by side: When Kanoff faltered, he was reserved, attentive, and quickly moved on to the next play. When Rosen tossed up a bad ball or failed in a third-down scenario, he was visibly upset, taking big swings at nothing with a cleated foot and generally looking pretty miserable. A bunch of anonymous scouts were talking about the UCLA product’s bad body language during the pre-draft process, and while you should take most of that anonymous stuff with a grain of salt, one can see here in training camp why there were concerns.

I didn’t see a receiver separate himself from the pack, and I don’t know that one will. Big-bodied Greg Little, the 29-year-old journeyman who caught 155 balls over three seasons in Cleveland but hasn’t appeared in a game since 2014, had a strong day and looked like he could be a problem for smaller corners. It would be a nice comeback story if the former second-round pick can make a contribution. It’s difficult to get excited about J.J. Nelson, whose elite speed hasn’t translated into production over his four seasons. Rookie second-rounder Christian Kirk, on the other hand, promises to create problems for opposing special teams and probably defenses at some point this season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/14/josh-rosen-cardinals-quarterbacks-sam-bradford-chad-kanoff-mike-glennon

2 hours ago, freestater said:

Faneca was a year or two later. Pete Kendall was the guy between Nick n' Brick when they were rookies

Your right. Woody and fanaca came in 08, 2 yrs after we had drafted dbrick and mangold. That is even more wise to give those 2 rookie studs 2 years before signing 2 I vet studs to complete a Allstar line. Woody was hurt most of 08, but by 09 they were bulldozing everyone. 

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Your right. Woody and fanaca came in 08, 2 yrs after we had drafted dbrick and mangold. That is even more wise to give those 2 rookie studs 2 years before signing 2 I vet studs to complete a Allstar line. Woody was hurt most of 08, but by 09 they were bulldozing everyone. 

I don't recall Woody being hurt most of 2008, the 2008 OL was every bit as good as 2009.  In 2010 Woody got hurt and people forget Wayne Hunter started the NE and Pitt playoff games.

w/ all the cap space next year I expect a heavy emphasis on th3e OL both in FA and the draft.  I don't think our Ol will be bad this year but I think if they make the right moves we can have an elite OL w/in 2 years.

Archived