It's been 1 week of preseason but rate the top 4 rookie QBs

TuscanyTile2

I'm not saying to rate them based on their PS week 1 performance but rather your overall take on these guys now that we've actually had a chance to see them.  If you could redo the draft rankings right now where would you rank the 4?

I'll go with:

Darnold

Mayfield

Allen

Rosen

Mayfield looked very good but I still would rather have Darnold.  I listed Rosen 4th because of arm strength, lack of mobility and injury concerns.  Josh Allen on the other hand is a very intriguing QB.  He's a good runner and wow is his arm strong.  Check out the throw at 8:05.  Almost 40 yards off his back foot and it was a strike.  I hope he starts this year because it'll be fun to see the guy play.  Having Darnold and Allen in the AFC East are both nice additions rather than having Tom Brady as the only QB in the division.

Just now, BROOKLYN JET said:

Only because Sam missed 3 days of camp. ?

I think it has more to do with Bakers coach calling him out on not getting up early enough for practice. Both played like rookies with upside but Baker had a side order of FU Coach . Dude played angry good. 

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is homerism. Darnold looked good, but Mayfield looked like he’s been in the league for ten years. 

Are you saying that if the Browns offered you Baker for Darnold right now, you'd do it?  I would not.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not saying to rate them based on their PS week 1 performance but rather your overall take on these guys now that we've actually had a chance to see them.  If you could redo the draft rankings right now where would you rank the 4?

I'll go with:

Darnold

Mayfield

Allen

Rosen

Mayfield looked very good but I still would rather have Darnold.  I listed Rosen 4th because of arm strength, lack of mobility and injury concerns.  Josh Allen on the other hand is a very intriguing QB.  He's a good runner and wow is his arm strong.  Check out the throw at 8:05.  Almost 40 yards off his back foot and it was a strike.  I hope he starts this year because it'll be fun to see the guy play.  Having Darnold and Allen in the AFC East are both nice additions rather than having Tom Brady as the only QB in the division.

Rosen looked better than Allen.

It's not his fault he literally had to scoop every low snap off the turf. Or that he had 1.3 seconds to find an open man (who were not getting any separation).... I thought besides the one throw where he'd nearly got pick-sixed, he was OK. Not great, but OK. Allen was far more erratic. 

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Rosen looked better than Allen.

It's not his fault he literally had to scoop every low snap off the turf. Or that he had 1.3 seconds to find an open man (who were not getting any separation).... I thought besides the one throw where he'd nearly got pick-sixed, he was OK. Not great, but OK. Allen was far more erratic. 

So are your ratings Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, Allen?

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So are your ratings Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, Allen?

Sure. I think Darnold and Mayfield were pretty interchangeable in their postive play. Both handled themselves at QB1 levels. Both showed an advanced grasp. We shall see what week 2 holds!  

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Sure. I think Darnold and Mayfield were pretty interchangeable in their postive play. Both handled themselves at QB1 levels. Both showed an advanced grasp. We shall see what week 2 holds!  

Reasonable choices.  I'd love to poll everyone on here at various intervals of the season.  I'm sure the ratings will change over time.  It's interesting to see how they'll move though.  I have to admit I thought the Browns were nuts to take Mayfield.  I thought he was the 4th best QB of the 4.  So far I have to admit that he does seem pretty good.  

25 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Reasonable choices.  I'd love to poll everyone on here at various intervals of the season.  I'm sure the ratings will change over time.  It's interesting to see how they'll move though.  I have to admit I thought the Browns were nuts to take Mayfield.  I thought he was the 4th best QB of the 4.  So far I have to admit that he does seem pretty good.  

I thought, generally speaking, they all looked exactly as advertised - though Darnold was more polished and decisive than I expected. Baker looked like OU simply switched Jerseys, Allen did his "watch this" routine with 60 yard bombs that land in receivers hands about 50% of the time, and Rosen was Rosen; takes what the defense gives him. If there's one thing about Rosen that's a knock in my books, it's that he goes to sleep for a 1-2 quarters at a time. When the light bulb goes on, there's no one better, but it's not automatic - seems need to spark or something. 

Hate to admit it but Josh Allen looked better than expected and a few of the throws he made even if they weren't for a completion were incredible he can throw the ball clear across the field. If he can fix his accuracy up a bit and buffalo gets their hands on a fast receiver they can be dangerous...happy with darnold. Mayfield looks good. Rosen who I love didn't impress me as much as I would have liked. Haven't seen anything from Lamar Jackson that makes me think he is going to dethrone flacco anytime soon

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

lamar jackson has looked good as well

If Lamar Jackson can stay healthy he can be a force to be reckoned with.  While I don't think he'll be able to survive as a runner in the NFL (and if he doesn't run then I think i takes away a major strength of his) I'd love to see how good he can be.  Imagine if he can stay healthy for even 2 years?!  He can be an absolute difference maker.  Baltimore has been kind of a boring offensive team for years now.  He could single handedly make them electrifying.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is homerism. Darnold looked good, but Mayfield looked like he’s been in the league for ten years. 

That would explain 5 of 12 at the half, barely over 50% for the game and more off target throws than on target.  He completed 11 passes, at least three were off their mark and cost him YAC.  

But then again, i cant figure out what games some were watching.

They all showed what they’re known for  

Allen has a cannon. If buffalo gets a speed demon and better oline Allen will make huge plays but he’s going to miss a lot and get picked. 

Darnold is a leader, calm, reads the d and controls the game. 

Mayfield is a playmaker but will have plenty of mistakes

Rosen =  Pennington 

Jackson runs like Vick and throws like sh*t. He’s not winning games and I doubt he’ll last a full season.

So far I’d take Darnold then Mayfield and Allen then trade down for a lineman  

Would mainly rank as:

1) Darnold

2) Mayfield

3) Rosen

4) Allen

Darnold's throw running to the left without setting and with pinpoint accuracy is something the other QBs probably can't do since only Rodger's is the only other QB in the league and maybe 1 or 2 others that can do that. Also, at the Goal line usually those 10 yard backup penalties cause a FG and Darnold willed his team into the EZ.

Archived