It's been 1 week of preseason but rate the top 4 rookie QBs

TuscanyTile2

3 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Also, at the Goal line usually those 10 yard backup penalties cause a FG and Darnold willed his team into the EZ.

Sam threw 3 TDs on 3 consecutive plays - each one harder than the last. The fact that only 1 of them counted is not on him.

3 against DC Walmart employees > 2 against NYC metro Walmart employees. 

edit: he also only had 1 true incompletion in his first 9 attempts and displayed pocket presence, mobility, and playmaking ability with his arm when the pocket broke down. Then he was shut down for the rest of the game except for the third down rollout to the left and perfect pass throwing on the run against his body. 

52 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Sam threw 3 TDs on 3 consecutive plays - each one harder than the last. The fact that only 1 of them counted is not on him.

3 against DC Walmart employees > 2 against NYC metro Walmart employees. 

edit: he also only had 1 true incompletion in his first 9 attempts and displayed pocket presence, mobility, and playmaking ability with his arm when the pocket broke down. Then he was shut down for the rest of the game except for the third down rollout to the left and perfect pass throwing on the run against his body. 

He also threw the ball EXACTLY where it should have been on the Stewart play where Stewart inexplicably stopped running. I've been defending Macc but that Stewart sucks & I've seen nothing from Hansen this year yet either. Sam is gonna need some explosion players going forward. 

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is homerism. Darnold looked good, but Mayfield looked like he’s been in the league for ten years. 

Not exactly. Orlovsky broke down his film and Mayfield made fewer plays that were based on the play called, and more plays where he freelanced. He said Darnold made plays within the plays that were called because he understood where the ball should go on specific plays. Mayfield did not look to the correct receivers based on the plays he ran and often went through his progressions in the wrong order based on pre-snap configurations. He said Darnold was further along in understanding the play and where he should be looking based on pre-snap reads and the routes his receivers are running. Basically, Darnold was understanding the play and processing the info more quickly. He said Mayfield is clearly not ready yet since the regular season will be different and his reads need to be correct.

36 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Not exactly. Orlovsky broke down his film and Mayfield made fewer plays that were based on the play called, and more plays where he freelanced. He said Darnold made plays within the plays that were called because he understood where the ball should go on specific plays. Mayfield did not look to the correct receivers based on the plays he ran and often went through his progressions in the wrong order based on pre-snap configurations. He said Darnold was further along in understanding the play and where he should be looking based on pre-snap reads and the routes his receivers are running. Basically, Darnold was understanding the play and processing the info more quickly. He said Mayfield is clearly not ready yet since the regular season will be different and his reads need to be correct.

I've been waiting for someone to point that out....Sam played great within the scripted plays, the coaching staff might have wanted to see how he would do by handcuffing him a little.  

When Sam goes off script, you get that spectacular play in the Rose Bowl when he and Tay connected in the end zone with that perfect throw and catch between three PSU defenders.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:48 AM, #27TheDominator said:

People really liked Mayfield that much?  I thought he looked fine for his first game, but I watched a bit of the first half and he kind of looked like sh*t.  On top of that, he looked all happy feet, herky jerky.

Okay.  I watched the replay of the Giants game last night.  Mayfield looked a little better than I thought.  OTOH, he didn't look particularly sharp and the Giants pass D is particularly atrocious.  He was mostly working against the Giants 2nd, 3rd and beyond teams and they only have 2 CBs (one of whom is Eli Apple) and 1 S.  He had a couple of bad throws, but several were better than I thought when I originally watched.  Nice first outing, but the idea that he proved something major or looked like a seasoned vet was laughable IMO. 

Archived