Breer On Darnold's Debut

KRL

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/13/jon-gruden-oakland-raiders-return-jaguars-jalen-ramsey-dante-fowler-fight-media-suspensions

4. For Jets fans pumped about Sam Darnold’s debut: rest assured, there was reason to feel good. In fact, as I understand it, that showed up in the coaches’ assessment of his night against the Falcons. What you couldn’t see was how he executed the calls, showed command in the huddle, and—despite playing behind backup offensive linemen—didn’t drop his eyes in the face of pressure. One of the things I picked up when I did my story on the Jets’ pursuit of Darnold showed up, too. You could see, especially on the touchdown pass to Charles Johnston, Darnold playing fast. I’d be surprised if Darnold is not starting in Detroit on Sept. 10. I’ve said since May that I think he has a better than 50/50 chance of starting in Week 1. I’ll stick to that, which is where we mention that Teddy Bridgewater looked awfully sharp too, and that presents the Jets with a problem they’re happy to have.

We’ll see this week in practice just how many reps Darnold will be getting with the 1’s and if his turn in the QB rotation gets bumped up in the Redskin game.  I would think Bowles should announce the starter after the Redskin game so that the starter gets his reps in the 3rd pre-season game.  

Also, I would be watching the Broncos QB situation closely.  Keenum hasn’t looked great in practice and in the first game.  If that continues I would be calling them daily about trading them Bridgewater.  

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

We’ll see this week in practice just how many reps Darnold will be getting with the 1’s and if his turn in the QB rotation gets bumped up in the Redskin game.  I would think Bowles should announce the starter after the Redskin game so that the starter gets his reps in the 3rd pre-season game.  

Also, I would be watching the Broncos QB situation closely.  Keenum hasn’t looked great in practice and in the first game.  If that continues I would be calling them daily about trading them Bridgewater.  

After wasting a #1 on Paxton Lynch and spending big $$$ for Keenum, Elway would look awful if he had to

trade for Bridgewater

1 minute ago, KRL said:

After wasting a #1 on Paxton Lynch and spending big $$$ for Keenum, Elway would look awful if he had to

trade for Bridgewater

I agree but, Elway’s window is closing with this group.  If he doesn’t win in the next 2 seasons, it’s rebuild time.  Bridgewater would be an inexpensive insurance policy to Keenum.  Well worth a second round pick for him.  Bridgewater is also extremely cap friendly.  Watching Keenum over-throw RBs would give me great concern right now.  

1 minute ago, KRL said:

trade for Bridgewater

Elway is an Idiot for letting one of  the better defenses and teams in general flounder due to the lack of a QB. When you are ready to win NOW and can possibly win a few SB's you trade draft picks to get the QB you need. 1 or 2 SB's is well worth a number one draft pick IMHO. Elway dropped the ball. if you are building a team for the future the exact opposite applies but Elways team was already built trying to win with Idiots like Osweiler and Siemian 

You could say the same thing about the 09 10 Jets but at least that Jets team was trying to develop a QB they selected with the 5th pick in the draft that just didn't pan out for numerous reasons.

Just now, sec101row23 said:

I agree but, Elway’s window is closing with this group.  If he doesn’t win in the next 2 seasons, it’s rebuild time.  Bridgewater would be an inexpensive insurance policy to Keenum.  Well worth a second round pick for him.  Bridgewater is also extremely cap friendly.  Watching Keenum over-throw RBs would give me great concern right now.  

I hope you're right because I would love to get a #2 or #3 for Bridgewater

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Also keep in mind with a team like Denver and a Teddy Bridgewater at the helm you are probably looking at a late second round pick or a late 3rd round pick because you fully expect a team like that to be a playoff team. In that case I would push Elway for the second or maybe even a first because he would have Teddy on the cheap for at least one year. Either way Elway will never make this deal because if Keenum sh*ts the bed it would be way to late to bring Teddy in and turn the offense upside down for a new QB having to learn a new system and get used to a whole new situation. 

The only way we get a Teddy deal is if a really good team loses their starter and has no answer at back up. Jaguars/Vikings (LOL)/Steelers/Rams/

14 minutes ago, KRL said:

trade for Bridgewater

Denver fans have started a GO FUND ME page to buy out Paxton Lynch contract, LMAO! Teddy to Broncos is not far fetched. Keenum got away with leaving the pocket A LOT playing the likes of Packers, Lions, Bears, wait until he gets a load of Khalil Mack, if or when Mack comes in. I could easily see Keenum getting hurt & Paxton Lynch up next, lol. That defense would lose their sh*t.

13 minutes ago, KRL said:

No way I'm taking anything less than a #2 for a QB. We sold Richardson for a #2 & Kearse, QB that can start in this league with experience & a great teammate? Bridgewater has way more upside than Fitz when he came in here in 2015! Teddy still has a promising career ahead of him potentially.

I would love to keep Bridgewater. How about we just make him the long-term number two. You're basically paying Josh McCown 10 million to be the number 3 this year. Bridgewater if you get a raise and the team could still save money.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I would love to keep Bridgewater. How about we just make him the long-term number two. You're basically paying Josh McCown 10 million to be the number 3 this year. Bridgewater if you get a raise and the team could still save money.

Then that would mean that Bridgewater would be content being a back-up QB in this league.  I dont think he’s at that point right now. Still way too young to concede a back up role in this league.  

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Then that would mean that Bridgewater would be content being a back-up QB in this league.  I dont think he’s at that point right now. Still way too young to concede a back up role in this league.  

He's only gonna be 26 in November. Dude is less than 3 years older than Baker Mayfield. 

No way I'm taking anything less than a #2 for a QB. We sold Richardson for a #2 & Kearse, QB that can start in this league with experience & a great teammate? Bridgewater has way more upside than Fitz when he came in here in 2015! Teddy still has a promising career ahead of him potentially.
Problem is we do not own him next year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bridgewater doesn't want to be a back-up so we need to get something before he walks.   As far as Elway looking like an idiot if he trades for Bridgewater after Lych and Keenum, you have to do what is best for the organization and not worry how you look.  If Bridgewater turns out be  good for them then the story changes to how Elway was relentless in his search for a QB and it paid off.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If that were a realistic option, I think it would be great in theory. But the reason so many are in favor of offering him up in a trade is that Bridgewater has no incentive to do such a thing, and you can't really blame him at all for that. At bare minimum he'll want to test the market again next offseason and, assuming he stays healthy, there will likely be a bigger market for him. The only way he'd come back is if no other team is willing to even let him compete for a starting spot, and Jets offer the most money. Both of those things seem quite unlikely.

Next year will likely be Bridgewater's best chance to reestablish himself as a starter, so he of course has to take advantage of it. There's little reason for the Jets to not try to take advantage too.

1 minute ago, prime21 said:

Bridgewater doesn't want to be a back-up so we need to get something before he walks.   As far as Elway looking like an idiot if he trades for Bridgewater after Lych and Keenum, you have to do what is best for the organization and not worry how you look.  If Bridgewater turns out be  good for them then the story changes to how Elway was relentless in his search for a QB and it paid off.

If Case Keenum gets hurt, the Denver Broncos season is OVER! Paxton Lynch can't play football! You can not go into a season with that defense (Miller + Chubb), and ride with 1 capable QB. Look what happened when Petty had to be called to duty, the team literally sunk, knowing full well they had no chance. 

Denver fans know football & Elway is on the hotseat with them. They could give a sh*t he was a great player, that fan base expects to win. And they are keenly aware they are a Case Keenum injury away from 2-14.

20 minutes ago, Maxman said:

17 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Yeah, that's the problem with the people saying we should keep Teddy. It would only be for 1  year because Teddy will be a FA after this year and there is no way he signs on with the Jets to be cheerleader for Darnold.  

46 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Elway is an Idiot for letting one of  the better defenses and teams in general flounder due to the lack of a QB. When you are ready to win NOW and can possibly win a few SB's you trade draft picks to get the QB you need. 1 or 2 SB's is well worth a number one draft pick IMHO. Elway dropped the ball. if you are building a team for the future the exact opposite applies but Elways team was already built trying to win with Idiots like Osweiler and Siemian 

You could say the same thing about the 09 10 Jets but at least that Jets team was trying to develop a QB they selected with the 5th pick in the draft that just didn't pan out for numerous reasons.

Ummmm, he went to 2.  Won 1 of them.

It really does amaze me that every year going into preseason games, we remind ourselves not to overreact to anything that happens because it the preseason and the reality is, it means nothing and doesnt predict future play at all and yet, every year, we do it anyway.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Ummmm, he went to 2.  Won 1 of them.

Wow thanks for reminding me Im sure no one here was aware of that.

Its obvious Im talking post Manning who actually did nothing In the one SB win. If they would have had a viable option at QB they might have gone to 2 or 3 more SB's 

35 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Unrealistic.  Why would Teddy accept any deal that keeps him on the bench for most of his career?  He wants to start somewhere and he will.  

43 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Darnold on his rookie deal has a Cap hit of about what, $8-9M each year for the next 4 years?  We've got plenty of room to pay Teddy well, at least what we're paying McCown right now.

I don't want to get cute with our sudden "quality QB abundance."  For a team that's been starving for decades at the QB spot we could really use 2 of these guys.....especially if, like me, you're starting to see a potential window of playoff opportunity opening with this defense in the next few years.  I still blame Bill Parcells for having a Super Bowl ready team in 1999 but having no insurance behind Vinny Testaverde.

#KeepTeddy

#TradeMcCown

#WhyAmIUsingHashtags

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Darnold on his rookie deal has a Cap hit of about what, $8-9M each year for the next 4 years?  We've got plenty of room to pay Teddy well, at least what we're paying McCown right now.

I don't want to get cute with our sudden "quality QB abundance."  For a team that's been starving for decades at the QB spot we could really use 2 of these guys.....especially if, like me, you're starting to see a potential window of playoff opportunity opening with this defense in the next few years.  I still blame Bill Parcells for having a Super Bowl ready team in 1999 but having no insurance behind Vinny Testaverde.

#KeepTeddy

#TradeMcCown

#WhyAmIUsingHashtags

Again, that would mean Bridgewater would be happy being a back up.  Sure, it would be nice for the Jets, but the Jets can’t force Bridgewater to stay.  

56 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Also keep in mind with a team like Denver and a Teddy Bridgewater at the helm you are probably looking at a late second round pick or a late 3rd round pick because you fully expect a team like that to be a playoff team. In that case I would push Elway for the second or maybe even a first because he would have Teddy on the cheap for at least one year. Either way Elway will never make this deal because if Keenum sh*ts the bed it would be way to late to bring Teddy in and turn the offense upside down for a new QB having to learn a new system and get used to a whole new situation. 

The only way we get a Teddy deal is if a really good team loses their starter and has no answer at back up. Jaguars/Vikings (LOL)/Steelers/Rams/

Teddy wont be that cheap if he ends up playing.  His contract has all kinds of performance incentives that could get him into the mid teens if he plays significantly

4 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Teddy wont be that cheap if he ends up playing.  His contract has all kinds of performance incentives that could get him into the mid teens if he plays significantly

But if he plays a lot and hits those performance clauses then that's likely because Darnold is ineffective or hurt.  And, in that case I don't think any of us would mind having an expensive starting QB who is expensive because he's clicking along and hitting performance incentives.

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Again, that would mean Bridgewater would be happy being a back up.  Sure, it would be nice for the Jets, but the Jets can’t force Bridgewater to stay.  

Understood.  It may be wishful thinking but I'm admittedly envious of what the Eagles have been able to pull off with Wentz and Foles.  Anyone ever franchise tag a backup QB? :D 

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

It really does amaze me that every year going into preseason games, we remind ourselves not to overreact to anything that happens because it the preseason and the reality is, it means nothing and doesnt predict future play at all and yet, every year, we do it anyway.

It's all we have to grab on to right now. Add in the fact that it's good QB play? Forget it...we're running away with any smidge of hope we see or read about. 

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

#KeepTeddy

#TradeMcCown

#WhyAmIUsingHashtags

The issue is not whether the Jets could or should pay Teddy to remain a career backup.  If Teddy was OK with that, Mac should run, not walk, to the table to sign that contract.  No brainer.  The issue is that there is no way on planet Earth that Teddy resigns himself to career backup status.  

It's not us.  It's Teddy that won't do that.

23 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Who cares about his price tag? What if Darnold gets Injured? Id much rather have him stepping in than some 50 year old journeyman. The Jets have him, they should keep him unless some team offers a #1 pick for him.

9 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Wow thanks for reminding me Im sure no one here was aware of that.

Its obvious Im talking post Manning who actually did nothing In the one SB win. If they would have had a viable option at QB they might have gone to 2 or 3 more SB's 

Well, 3 more SB's would be impossible because there has only been 2 SB's played since they're SB victory. So what you basically said was, Elway dropped the ball because this team didnt make it to the SB the last 2 years which would equate to 4 appearances in the the last 5 and add a magical 3rd that never happened?  I'm no Football historian but has any team ever been to the SB 4 times in a 5 year span with a victory too boot?   I'm pretty sure the only team to go to 4 in 5 is the Bills.

And you're not exactly portraying the situation perfectly.  Kubiak retired, they have a rookie HC and they lost the starter that led them to the playoffs in FA.   They also lost a bunch of dudes from that SB; Trevathan, Ware, Ward, Jackson were all starters. 

But anywho, pretty ridiculous to think the Broncos would have made 4 out of the last 5 SB's if they just would have traded away for a magical QB that some team was just waiting to get rid of.

Archived