Breer On Darnold's Debut

KRL

17 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

It's all we have to grab on to right now. Add in the fact that it's good QB play? Forget it...we're running away with any smidge of hope we see or read about. 

Having hope because you're seeing good things is one thing and I'm on board.  I'm just as excited as anyone to see Darnold play competent Football.  But, making definitive claims and saying this dude is the starter and that dude is trade bait and ranking this guy over that guy, etc. is dumb.

This all means absolutely nothing.  Hack's debut was a thing of beauty, remember? 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Having hope because you're seeing good things is one thing and I'm on board.  I'm just as excited as anyone to see Darnold play competent Football.  But, making definitive claims and saying this dude is the starter and that dude is trade bait and ranking this guy over that guy, etc. is dumb.

This all means absolutely nothing.  Hack's debut was a thing of beauty, remember? 

I hear ya. Hell, Bortles looked legit when I watched him in his first pre season outing. 

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, 3 more SB's would be impossible because there has only been 2 SB's played since they're SB victory. So what you basically said was, Elway dropped the ball because this team didnt make it to the SB the last 2 years which would equate to 4 appearances in the the last 5 and add a magical 3rd that never happened?  I'm no Football historian but has any team ever been to the SB 4 times in a 5 year span with a victory too boot?   I'm pretty sure the only team to go to 4 in 5 is the Bills.

And you're not exactly portraying the situation perfectly.  Kubiak retired, they have a rookie HC and they lost the starter that led them to the playoffs in FA.   They also lost a bunch of dudes from that SB; Trevathan, Ware, Ward, Jackson were all starters. 

But anywho, pretty ridiculous to think the Broncos would have made 4 out of the last 5 SB's if they just would have traded away for a magical QB that some team was just waiting to get rid of.

On top that, I really don’t think Paxton Lynch has been given much of a chance. He played in two games last year and his numbers weren’t that terrible. He’s getting booed off the field by fans who are demanding that he become Peyton Manning after one season. 

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

Can you imagine this board after Browning Nagle's first start?

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

We’ll see this week in practice just how many reps Darnold will be getting with the 1’s and if his turn in the QB rotation gets bumped up in the Redskin game.  I would think Bowles should announce the starter after the Redskin game so that the starter gets his reps in the 3rd pre-season game.  

Also, I would be watching the Broncos QB situation closely.  Keenum hasn’t looked great in practice and in the first game.  If that continues I would be calling them daily about trading them Bridgewater.  

They're not going to name Darnold the starter because they're playing an imaginary game where Teddy still has a chance to start in an effort to pump up his trade value. 

The Broncos are an interesting option unless/until someone's starter goes down. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

No way I'm taking anything less than a #2 for a QB. We sold Richardson for a #2 & Kearse, QB that can start in this league with experience & a great teammate? Bridgewater has way more upside than Fitz when he came in here in 2015! Teddy still has a promising career ahead of him potentially.

This is cut off your nose to spite your face territory. Holding firm for a second-rounder could easily result in Teddy spending the entire 2018 season on the bench and then walking next year while the Jets get nothing in return. If the Jets have a ton of leverage over a team with a desperate QB situation then, yeah, they should squeeze whatever they can out of them. But if they don't have that leverage and they're the ones trying to get a trade done, I'd accept as little as a fourth. That would be based upon the best the Jets could possibly do if Teddy left for free agency next year would be a late third round comp pick in 2020 (and with all their cap room, the Jets are unlikely to get any comp picks). They take that trade, they have a fourth-round pick and an additional $5.5M in cap space. That should be two decent players for a player that isn't going on your team next year, anyway. That's a decent deal. 

59 minutes ago, JiF said:

I don't think anyone remembers that. 

One of the biggest problems here is that many people have unrealistic expectations about what a GM/team can do. GMs are far from perfect and finding the right players given draft order and FA is a very hard thing to do. There are often many whiffs in a draft. With that a few points:

1. It does't matter if he looks like an idiot - he needs to do what is best for the team. If he needs a different QB and can acquire one, he should. He should do what is right for the team and not worry about the perception. It is funny, however, he has had some of the same issues/problems that Mac has (overreaching by drafting a QB too high that can't seem to play) - he does have some advantages in the fact that he is like a G-d in Denver, has been doing it longer, and he won them a SB

2. It isn't just about money for Bridgewater. The other posters are right, he wants to start (or at least a real chance to start). And, if he goes to a team where he can start, he will likely make more money than if he signs as a backup; he also wants to win, so going to a quality team wouldn't hurt either.

3. He whiffed on Lynch, lucked out of giving out a big contract to a below average QB and hasn't found his franchise QB. He is also considered one of the better GM's. People should take that into consideration when lambasted Mac for whiffing on Hack, or more-so on whiffing on Devin when he had no college history of injury. Very few GMs (and I don't think he was GM at the time) luck into a great QB in the 6th. In fact, all of the teams passed on Brady 5 times.

4. We have hopefully found our franchise QB on a team that it starting to build a core of quality young players and have most of our picks (including the 1st) next year. Maybe we can give Mac a little slack.

5. If Darnold is healthy and continues to grow, no way Bridgewater is here next year. He either couldn't come back all of the way, or he is on another team with a good chance to start. I think that is the reality, and we should get whatever we can for him. Also, if Darnold is the guy, I will take losses as grows and gets experience over wins with Bridgewater any day of the week. As long as Darnold doesn't get killed and doesn't get ruined, playing Bridewater is a waste. Trade him if we get good value and use the spot (and any payment) to improve the rest of the roster.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Darnold on his rookie deal has a Cap hit of about what, $8-9M each year for the next 4 years?  We've got plenty of room to pay Teddy well, at least what we're paying McCown right now.

I don't want to get cute with our sudden "quality QB abundance."  For a team that's been starving for decades at the QB spot we could really use 2 of these guys.....especially if, like me, you're starting to see a potential window of playoff opportunity opening with this defense in the next few years.  I still blame Bill Parcells for having a Super Bowl ready team in 1999 but having no insurance behind Vinny Testaverde.

#KeepTeddy

#TradeMcCown

#WhyAmIUsingHashtags

Why do people keep assuming Bridgewater will be content in a backup role particularly if he could start somewhere? This isn't Madden where you can indefinitely keep starters as backups and they don't care. Bridgewater can and will sign somewhere else next year for the opportunity to start.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

I would love to keep Bridgewater. How about we just make him the long-term number two. You're basically paying Josh McCown 10 million to be the number 3 this year. Bridgewater if you get a raise and the team could still save money.

Very good point.  McCown probably has 1  year before retirement (and hopefully straight into the Jet coaching staff) and backup QB is a very important position on a team’s roster (as last year’s eagles and the 1990 giants can attest to).  I would love to have TB as the backup (Not sure he’d go for that though).  And if he proves his worth, we can always trade him at a high valuation 

While I would love to keep TB why would he stay to be a backup in a QB needy League? The only way TB is on the Jets next year is if Darnold flames out and TB is signed to a long term deal. Unlikely.

Either they trade TB for whatever they can get or he leaves as a FA. 

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

While I would love to keep TB why would he stay to be a backup in a QB needy League? The only way TB is on the Jets next year is if Darnold flames out and TB is signed to a long term deal. Unlikely.

Either they trade TB for whatever they can get or he leaves as a FA. 

He was a starter who suffered a freak in jury.  At age 23 he completed 65% of his passes, with a good TD to INT ration.   He is still young, and there is no reason he can't be a 10 year starter at this point in his career, what is he, 26?   Teddy will 100% want to start somewhere, and he should want to.

If Brock Osweiler can get 30 million, and Glennon can get 30 million, Teddy should be able to get that next year.

7 hours ago, JiF said:

lol no, I actually dont......link please?

7 hours ago, Freemanm said:

On top that, I really don’t think Paxton Lynch has been given much of a chance. He played in two games last year and his numbers weren’t that terrible. He’s getting booed off the field by fans who are demanding that he become Peyton Manning after one season. 

Actually........Lynch is shatty....he has been beaten out by every qb they sign or have had since he has been drafted. 

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

What is the floor compensation for the Jets if TB stays this year, gets paid and walks next year.   An end of 3rd or 4th round draft pick?

Depends on what the Jets do in free agency.  Given the large amount of cap space next year, receiving comp picks probably isn’t going to happen.  

1 hour ago, Drums said:

What if we traded Teddy to the Giants? They're going to need a QB.

Interesting to think about. Shurmer connection. Young QB he knows well and could replace Eli in a year. Bridgewater won't have to move. Maybe the Giants pay a little more because it's hard to get the two NY teams to trade. Plus Giants did us a favor with Sam. I could also see the Giants going after teddy in the off season depending on how his tear plays out. 

13 hours ago, Dcat said:

Unrealistic.  Why would Teddy accept any deal that keeps him on the bench for most of his career?  He wants to start somewhere and he will.  

Ummm...because it puts money in his bank account?  And perhaps preserves the longevity of his career with a still questionable knee?

TB is coming off a rookie deal.  He ain't rollin' in it at this point, and for everyone who says 'why would he do it?' I have to say, no one other than TB knows how his knee truly is holding up, how much it hurts or doesn't hurt, how much he may or may not be worried about future injury.  His rookie deal was for like $6 mill ($3 mill SB).

You saying he's gonna not consider a 3yr/$15 million backup deal with say a $9 mill SB?

If his knee holds up for that deal, and he continues to look good when he's on the field, he'd be a 29 y.o. potential starting QB..still able to make more.

It's not unreasonable.

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

He was a starter who suffered a freak in jury.  At age 23 he completed 65% of his passes, with a good TD to INT ration.   He is still young, and there is no reason he can't be a 10 year starter at this point in his career, what is he, 26?   Teddy will 100% want to start somewhere, and he should want to.

If Brock Osweiler can get 30 million, and Glennon can get 30 million, Teddy should be able to get that next year.

TB ain't getting anywhere NEAR that amount (guaranteed that is) until he shows his knee can hold up.  Guaranteed money on a backup deal would probably look awfully good to TB right now, with the potential to start 2-3 yrs down the line.

We'll see.

23 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Ummm...because it puts money in his bank account?  And perhaps preserves the longevity of his career with a still questionable knee?

TB is coming off a rookie deal.  He ain't rollin' in it at this point, and for everyone who says 'why would he do it?' I have to say, no one other than TB knows how his knee truly is holding up, how much it hurts or doesn't hurt, how much he may or may not be worried about future injury.  His rookie deal was for like $6 mill ($3 mill SB).

You saying he's gonna not consider a 3yr/$15 million backup deal with say a $9 mill SB?

If his knee holds up for that deal, and he continues to look good when he's on the field, he'd be a 29 y.o. potential starting QB..still able to make more.

It's not unreasonable.

I'm sure to Teddy it is unreasonable.  Of course I am assuming that he wants to start.  The above is simply a rich invitation to be a back up and he's not going to do it. Nor should the Jets. 

15 hours ago, chirorob said:

All more reasons why TB will not re-sign with the Jets. As I said in my previous post the only way TB is a Jet next year is if he is the Starter and the way things look right now that is not happening. Play him in the pre-season and drum up some interest so you can get the highest return for him. If it stretches into the regular season so be it just as long as it doesn't become a controversy.

6 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

All more reasons why TB will not re-sign with the Jets. As I said in my previous post the only way TB is a Jet next year is if he is the Starter and the way things look right now that is not happening. Play him in the pre-season and drum up some interest so you can get the highest return for him. If it stretches into the regular season so be it just as long as it doesn't become a controversy.

Well, if you cant trade him he may sign for enough to get a 3rd round pick back depending on who we sign

Archived