Redskins - Jets Joint Practices: Days 2 & 3

Lith

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Pryor can stay healthy and keep his head on straight, he is a force. There aren't many 6'4", 230lb WRs capable of running a sub 4, 40. 

I'm tryna tell folks; this dude is the wild card that can make this truly offense potent. Plus look at that dudes hands; Man I feel sorry for his woman :-)

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Just heard Kearse live interview.  This guy isn't going to have a hard time getting by after football.  Real smart guy.

Just for entertainment value they should put Robby up right after him.  :)

Pryor's not bad either..

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

people seem to be ignoring the fact that this D was bad.

Trumaine? we overpaid the guy. he's ok.

Lee still sucks. we still have no pass rush.

our safeties get beat like drums in coverage.

All the more reason to trade for Mack or Fowler until this team has a pass rush the D will continue to be exposed. 

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

You sure are reading a lot into practice report tweets.

As an aside, it's pretty obvious looking at the beat reporter tweets that Mehta didn't make the trip to Richmond. Looks like the Daily News has turned into such a rag that it won't even pay to send him down with the team. Curious to see if he travels with the team during the regular season.

13 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

No one is ignoring any of this.  Ppl here have been complaining about Lee since the moment he was drafted.  Trumaine is and will remain a top 5 CB in the NFL. He got market value and the Jets had plenty of cap space.  Maye is better in coverage than you givehim credit for.  It's Adams that blows in coverage.  

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

No one is ignoring any of this.  Ppl here have been complaining about Lee since the moment he was drafted.  Trumaine is and will remain a top 5 CB in the NFL. He got market value and the Jets had plenty of cap space.  Maye is better in coverage than you givehim credit for.  It's Adams that blows in coverage.  

plus scherff and williams are both stud OL, and alex smith is exactly the qb who can pick apart a team in practice.

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Exactly. However,  the 2 major problems still exist from last year. No pass rusher and Kacy Rodgers. 

30 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

There are some pieces there, but as with every Jets defense, we're bad at the stuff that matters most, which puts a hard ceiling on how good we can be overall.

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

mac hasn't had many early round misses.  all of his first round picks are not busts.  maye is not a bust.  we're really talking about hack and devin smith as the two early picks that haven't panned out.  

Dont want to derail the thread but I consider a high pick RD's 1-3.  So that includes busts like; Smith, Hack, Maudlin, Stewart.  Jenkins is a JAG.  Lee sucks something awful.  Leo has been a disappointment.  And IMO Adams and Maye are never going to be anything more than just good players.

So, I would argue your point but every GM benefits from late round diamonds in the rough.

34 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

I think you are underselling Trumaine quite a bit and why would any fan care how much he is getting paid? We still have a ton of cap room. By coming here, he has made the #1 CB better, and therefore the #2 CB is better (skrine not #2 anymore) and hopefully one of the younger players take over the slot, but Skrine is still a better #3 then we had last year. Willliamson seems better than Davis (who played well last year) and Mo isn't there to set a bad example.

The defense could suck, but we weren't going to the promised land this year anyway. And, if they do suck, don't be surprised if heads will roll - which is apparently what many here want.

However, it is just a practice on the road on a crappy field. Also, we have a lot of new and young players; it will take some time for the defense to catch up; remember that Smith is a game manager with a lot of experience and the Redskins have a decent OL.

Finally, don't forget this crappy D blanked a pretty good Atlanta offense on Friday. I would rather have a bad practice than a bad game. Let's see how they fare Thursday night...

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

There are some pieces there, but as with every Jets defense, we're bad at the stuff that matters most, which puts a hard ceiling on how good we can be overall.

This is why I think we should focus on the offense and shoot for a middle of the pack defense. We need to focus on coverage/playmaking safeties and pass rushers going forward(I know safeties aren’t an immediate need I’m just talking about defensive philosophy). 

The defense “will be what it will be” and the offense is all that matters. Especially since it’s been severely neglected for the last decade of defense and honestly, what do we have to show for it? Even after a complete mismanagement of draft capital and constantly drafting defense, we only fielded a few top 10 defenses and a lot of that was due to Rex.

Enough with the defense. Make it “good enough” and make sure we have a decent D coordinator and focus on SAM. He is our only hope anyways so why not put him in the best possible position? JMHO. 

The D was just awful against the Falcons. It might improve morale around here if you just started rooting for the Pats.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

And see this is a lot better presented. I can agree with this. We have no pass rush. An Elite OLB wild change the entire production of the defense. We have some very good run stuffers and they even rush the passer pretty well but not good enough.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

And see this is a lot better presented. I can agree with this. We have no pass rush. An Elite OLB wild change the entire production of the defense. We have some very good run stuffers and they even rush the passer pretty well but not good enough.

It would change the face of the D and instantly improve EVERYTHING. 

6 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is why I think we should focus on the offense and shoot for a middle of the pack defense. We need to focus on coverage/playmaking safeties and pass rushers going forward(I know safeties aren’t an immediate need I’m just talking about defensive philosophy). 

The defense “will be what it will be” and the offense is all that matters. Especially since it’s been severely neglected for the last decade of defense and honestly, what do we have to show for it? Even after a complete mismanagement of draft capital and constantly drafting defense, we only fielded a few top 10 defenses and a lot of that was due to Rex.

Enough with the defense. Make it “good enough” and make sure we have a decent D coordinator and focus on SAM. He is our only hope anyways so why not put him in the best possible position? JMHO. 

Okay.....right after we find a monster pass rusher. Then we can just move on completely from the defense. 

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

As much as I would love to have Mack in here, I dont see it happening and its simply time that Rogers and Bowles figure out how to generate a pass rush with the players we have here and unfortunately I just dont think they know how to do that.

Bolwes "great defenses" he had before he came here were not great at generating sacks. The 2014 team was in the bottom half of the league in sacks and in 2013 they were better but thats with john abraham and calais campbell as the DEs.

These guys need to figure out how to get guys like Lee and Adams rushing lanes to the QB so we can mix in enough blitzes to keep the mediocore QBs guessing at the line.  When we play good QBs like Brady, we need to use all the DBs we have to cover and hope that Leo and/or sheppard or jenkins can win their one-on-one battles a couple times. Trumaine is going to help give the rush an extra split second, but someone needs to step and win when they are single blocked in order for this defense to take a step forward.

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

As much as I would love to have Mack in here, I dont see it happening and its simply time that Rogers and Bowles figure out how to generate a pass rush with the players we have here and unfortunately I just dont think they know how to do that.

Bolwes "great defenses" he had before he came here were not great at generating sacks. The 2014 team was in the bottom half of the league in sacks and in 2013 they were better but thats with john abraham and calais campbell as the DEs.

These guys need to figure out how to get guys like Lee and Adams rushing lanes to the QB so we can mix in enough blitzes to keep the mediocore QBs guessing at the line.  When we play good QBs like Brady, we need to use all the DBs we have to cover and hope that Leo and/or sheppard or jenkins can win their one-on-one battles a couple times. Trumaine is going to help give the rush an extra split second, but someone needs to step and win when they are single blocked in order for this defense to take a step forward.

plus why would you trade that much draft capital to get a guy like darnold, then continue to invest key resources on defense instead of using them on the OL and weapons?  then throw in all the new rules about lowering your head, defenses are going to give up more points, period.

Archived