Trouble in Jax (with a Jets point twist)

JustInFudge

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Donte Fowler was rated only slightly higher than Darron Lee by PFF last year (58 v 44). I know one's inside, and the other's outside, and PFF isn't the bible when it comes to football stats. But I present that just as a reality check, because fans always get excited by guys on other teams that were high draft picks, yet who are actually just JAGs in disguise. I would rather try getting a second round pick for Bridgewater rather than Fowler. For a guy whose sole job on the Jacksonville defense seems to be to rush the QB, 8 sacks in 2017 is mighty mediocre production. Yeah, he's talented, but his NFL career so far has been one of underperformance. On top of that are the potential maturity issues. Do we really need another Sheldon Richardson?

8 regular season + 2 in the AFCC vs. the Pats = 10 but still, 8 sacks would be good for 5 more than anyone on this roster. I'd take that for a 6th.

I think you also have to factor the projection here. IR rookie season.  4 sacks first year and was playing really well down the stretch, 10 sacks in his 2nd full year.  Who knows if he can get his head straight year?  That's the point.  I think it's worth it for a 6th round pick. 

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Plus he's suspended for a week. Having to spend a week off wandering around Jacksonville is just gonna drive that nutjob even more insane.

Strip mall madness. It’s a real condition.

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

8 regular season + 2 in the AFCC vs. the Pats = 10 but still, 8 sacks would be good for 5 more than anyone on this roster. I'd take that for a 6th.

I think you also have to factor the projection here. IR rookie season.  4 sacks first year and was playing really well down the stretch, 10 sacks in his 2nd full year.  Who knows if he can get his head straight year?  That's the point.  I think it's worth it for a 6th round pick. 

Compared to the crap we have at LB, Fowler is the next coming of Lawrence Taylor. 

7 hours ago, JiF said:

All the buzz here in Jax, FL is the team suspensions of Jalen Ramsey and Dante Fowler. 

Jalen is taking his diva ways to the next degree.  Biggest Diva in the league.  Apparently, he's made an all out war on the media in Jax, had a private meeting with them to clear the air and it got nasty.  So then he had a private meeting with Coughlin and supposedly, that went even worse.  Lots of talk that he's not worth the headache and they're not going to give him a monster pay day.  Something to keep an eye on.  

And then on the more immediate tip and the Jets twist, Dante Fowler and Yannick Nagakoue fought at numerous different times on and off the practice field over the weekend.  The talks are, they cant even be in the same room anymore.  If I'm Big Mac, I'm calling Caldwell right now and floating a conditional pick for Fowler.  It would cost next to nothing right now.  Give him a trial run, see if he's a good boy and have first crack a contract extension if he plays his cards right.

I legit think a 5th maybe even a 6th rounder would get the job done and would do it in a heartbeat. 

Fowler for the win, baby! 

No chance JAX alienates Ramsey at the moment, for a litany reasons. 

8 hours ago, JiF said:

All the buzz here in Jax, FL is the team suspensions of Jalen Ramsey and Dante Fowler. 

Jalen is taking his diva ways to the next degree.  Biggest Diva in the league.  Apparently, he's made an all out war on the media in Jax, had a private meeting with them to clear the air and it got nasty.  So then he had a private meeting with Coughlin and supposedly, that went even worse.  Lots of talk that he's not worth the headache and they're not going to give him a monster pay day.  Something to keep an eye on.  

And then on the more immediate tip and the Jets twist, Dante Fowler and Yannick Nagakoue fought at numerous different times on and off the practice field over the weekend.  The talks are, they cant even be in the same room anymore.  If I'm Big Mac, I'm calling Caldwell right now and floating a conditional pick for Fowler.  It would cost next to nothing right now.  Give him a trial run, see if he's a good boy and have first crack a contract extension if he plays his cards right.

I legit think a 5th maybe even a 6th rounder would get the job done and would do it in a heartbeat. 

I understand your trial run concept.

But please don't encourage the "STB" posters on the board... the kind that drool with their tongue out at every possible name player without thought to practicality or potential consequence.

The Jets have a good thing going.  I don't know enough about the Jaguars situation. But rest assured... whichever player Tom Coughlin is willing to part with is the guilty party.  Talented or not... the last thing the Jets need is a volatile, douchebag messing up the chemistry.  

One bad egg causing a few fights on the practice field can cause a whole lot more damage on game days. 

Now... Khalil Mack?  That is a good idea...

2 minutes ago, BigO said:

So what - Bowles will be history soon 

Have you seen the ownership?  They think 5-11 is worthy of an extension if Darnold plays well at all and we go 7-9 get used to your grandkids watching Bowles coach the jets

Oh and Dante Fowler is not good

4 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Oh I wouldn't trade Bridgewater straight up for Fowler either. But there is a deal to be made there if the Jags realize that Bortles isn't the answer.

A monkey ? knows Bortles isn’t the answer.  Bortles sucks. That Jag team is balanced on O and D. All they need is a decent game manager. 

If we drafted fowler we would all be crying for a new gm now we want Mac to trade for him? I get he was a good prospect coming out of college, Devin Smith was a good prospect too sometimes you whiff and players get nailed with injuries. If we could get fowler for a late pick sure take a swing on him but don't invest our future trying to bring another cancer into our locker room. ( trading teddy for fowler is a bad trade for us)

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

13 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

If we drafted fowler we would all be crying for a new gm now we want Mac to trade for him? I get he was a good prospect coming out of college, Devin Smith was a good prospect too sometimes you whiff and players get nailed with injuries. If we could get fowler for a late pick sure take a swing on him but don't invest our future trying to bring another cancer into our locker room. ( trading teddy for fowler is a bad trade for us)

I don't agree with any of this.

I must be crazy and/or stupid. For the first time in a real long time we have a true starter and a true quality backup (you choose the other), and all I hear from Jets fans around "hey let's trade one of them!".

Did people forget that "5 mins ago" Chad went down and literally 1 play later Jay Fiedler went down? How did that season go? Do we have a better offensive line than that one?

On 8/13/2018 at 9:59 PM, bealeb319 said:

Fowler sucks and is a problem child.  

22 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I must be crazy and/or stupid. For the first time in a real long time we have a true starter and a true quality backup (you choose the other), and all I hear from Jets fans around "hey let's trade one of them!".

Did people forget that "5 mins ago" Chad went down and literally 1 play later Jay Fiedler went down? How did that season go? Do we have a better offensive line than that one?

We only have him for one year.  He will not sign another contract with us next year to back up Darnold; he will go somewhere he has a chance to start.  I think we should try to get something of value for him at some point during the season or even the preseason.  How many good back-ups do we need?  Is a second back-up worth more than a second round pick?  I don't think so. 

6 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

We only have him for one year.  He will not sign another contract with us next year to back up Darnold; he will go somewhere he has a chance to start.  I think we should try to get something of value for him at some point during the season or even the preseason.  How many good back-ups do we need?  Is a second back-up worth more than a second round pick?  I don't think so. 

Perhaps, it is the grade of caution what I do not share. I envision that at one point during the early part of the season, we decide to extend him or not. Only one preseason game has passed, and already people have forgotten about the reality of sudden changes in the NFL and real bad luck this team has had. Is it really an unlikely scenario that Bridgewater gets traded as some people desire, and in the first season game our poor offensive line gives up a hit on Darnold that benches him for an entire season? do people have that much confidence in this oline?

How many good backups do we need? I don't know. You tell me how important is to have depth in professional football. 

2 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Perhaps, it is the grade of caution what I do not share. I envision that at one point during the early part of the season, we decide to extend him or not. Only one preseason game has passed, and already people have forgotten about the reality of sudden changes in the NFL and real bad luck this team has had. Is it really an unlikely scenario that Bridgewater gets traded as some people desire, and in the first season game our poor offensive line gives up a hit on Darnold that benches him for an entire season? do people have that much confidence in this oline?

How many good backups do we need? I don't know. You tell me how important is to have depth in professional football. 

Point well taken but Teddy simply will not sign another contract with us.  We don't get to decide to extend him.  He's 25.  He wants to start and he knows that Darnold is our guy.   McCown is a good back-up.  I'll take my chances and try to pick up a draft pick that we can use on an offensive lineman.

3 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Point well taken but Teddy simply will not sign another contract with us.  We don't get to decide to extend him.  He's 25.  He wants to start and he knows that Darnold is our guy.   McCown is a good back-up.  I'll take my chances and try to pick up a draft pick that we can use on an offensive lineman.

If that is the case, then I would say, start Bridgewater until the very trade deadline, and then start McCown. It is exactly because this Darnold is our guy that I do want to risk him behind this oline, unless they show in preseason that they can play above their potential.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:22 PM, Paradis said:

Fowler for the win, baby! 

No chance JAX alienates Ramsey at the moment, for a litany reasons. 

Well, they suspended Ramsey.  I'm not sure that's alienating him but it came because of a conversation he had with Coughlin. 

On 8/13/2018 at 9:17 PM, RoadFan said:

I understand your trial run concept.

But please don't encourage the "STB" posters on the board... the kind that drool with their tongue out at every possible name player without thought to practicality or potential consequence.

The Jets have a good thing going.  I don't know enough about the Jaguars situation. But rest assured... whichever player Tom Coughlin is willing to part with is the guilty party.  Talented or not... the last thing the Jets need is a volatile, douchebag messing up the chemistry.  

One bad egg causing a few fights on the practice field can cause a whole lot more damage on game days. 

Now... Khalil Mack?  That is a good idea...

STB?

Fights happen.  It takes 2 to tango.  Fowler was on the team last year.  The best D in the league, went to the AFCC game.  I dont think he's ruining any chemistry, he's just a nut job.  The Jets are filled with nut job idiots and they dont do anything as valuable as Fowler does.  So, what does 1 more  idiot hurt? 

Archived