That's Mr. Williams to you Leonard

Jetster

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

My point exactly, Trent Williams is GREAT, Leo is good. Leo had 2 sacks last year, he didn’t face 16 Trent Williams.

That's not your point exactly.  Your point exactly is spend money on a great pass rusher like Khalil Mack who also didn't do sh*t against Trent Williams.

If you don't think Williams is as good as advertised, so be it.  How he did against Trent Williams in situational practice drills is trivial.  

Just out of curiousity, if Trent Williams lined up against say Von Miller 100 times in the same drill(or one on one in a game) how many times do you think Miller "gets the best" of Williams

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That's not your point exactly.  Your point exactly is spend money on a great pass rusher like Khalil Mack who also didn't do sh*t against Trent Williams.

If you don't think Williams is as good as advertised, so be it.  How he did against Trent Williams in situational practice drills is trivial.  

Just out of curiousity, if Trent Williams lined up against say Von Miller 100 times in the same drill(or one on one in a game) how many times do you think Miller "gets the best" of Williams

Please don’t talk about Von Miller & Khalil Mack in the same sentence as Leonard Williams.

Where did people rank these 3 in the NFL top 100?

58 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Albert Haynesworth before he signed with the Redkins was amazing.

Yep. I was initially trying to name players who are still in the league (before mentioning Jenkins just because he was with the Jets and there was such a stark comparison from the prior few pre-Jenkins seasons).

That he was a crazy loon doesn’t factor into it. There are lunatics at any number of positions. 

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Please don’t talk about Von Miller & Khalil Mack in the same sentence as Leonard Williams.

Where did people rank these 3 in the NFL top 100?

I'm not.  I'm simply asking you, since you value those practice results so much, as to what you think a "stud" pass rusher would produce in 100 opportunities.

Obviously you know the answer if you know that Leonard Williams was "neutered".  I'm just curious to what that number is.

First, let’s not over react in two or three drills.  OL own even the best pass rushers most of the time.  What makes a guy elite is when he can get by OL 4 or 5 times a game that may result in a sack or two.  

The fact that Trent Williams blocked Leo in the drills is the equivalent of one drive in a game.  All Leo has to do is blow by him once to have a shot at a sack.  

Dude, what if he has 10 sacks this season. It's not that crazy to think he can do that. He had 7 in 2016.

10 is not a ridiculous amount. But its certainly not peanuts. 

Then what???! Just saying. He's already been able to stay healthy, is a positive influence in the locker room, is as solid as it gets against the run, requires double teams and creates havoc in the backfield. I would definitely invest big money in a player that does EVERYTHING except produce sacks in the top 5. At 10 a season he would probably be somewhere closer to top 15.     

Let me give y'all a contract; tell me if you think it's reasonable.

A five year 98 million dollar deal, 20 million dollar signing bonus, 50 million guaranteed

2019- 14 million fully guaranteed base, 18 million cap

2020- 16 million fully guaranteed base, 20 million cap

2021- 16 million base, 20 million cap

2022- 12 million base, 16 million cap

2023- 14 million base, 18 million cap

2024- 20 million base

37 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

How have all those overpaid Defensive line players help Miami???

REX has been drafting Dline for ever and none have been  pro bowl type players. Not even WILK.

Lets not overpay unless he commands respect and is pro bowl material. 

Wilkerson was an All Pro under Rex and Richardson was DROY and a Pro Bowler under Rex.

The reason you pay Leonard is because you’re letting Lee walk the next year, and the year after that Jamal Adams is going to ask for cornerback money, which, lol. So if Macc lets Leonard walk, he’s got nothing to show for his first three years of drafting. 

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The reason you pay Leonard is because you’re letting Lee walk the next year, and the year after that Jamal Adams is going to ask for cornerback money, which, lol. So if Macc lets Leonard walk, he’s got nothing to show for his first three years of drafting. 

Similar to his first 3 years of rebuilding.

The video i watched Leonard Williams bullrushed Trent Williams four or five yards straight backwards into the QB....he got the sack.He reached out and tapped the QB(guy with the ball),thats all he has to do to get the sack and the win over the LT.

D line is like O-line in a way. The big guys aren’t as athletic as the skill position players so they tend to have longer careers and there seems to be a lot of good vets that can be found easily like Steve McLendon for example. The Linebackers/passrushers make a 3-4.

Save money on the D-line by maybe having/paying 1 stud like Leo(especially given our cap situation and lack of talent to sign). The old situation of Sheldon, Mo, Snacks AND Leo was insane. We pretty much lost the first 3 and resigning all of them would have been a huge mistake.

You don’t overspend on the overall D line in a 3-4. The reason why Pittsburgh D used to be great is because of their rock solid line backing core. 

I love Leo and think we should resign him as long as it matches production but we should not look for 3 studs on the D line to spend on. If we find a late round, UDFA or FA signing that knocks it out of the park, awesome but it’s not a good use of resources when you are trying to build a team and spending(expensive contracts and/or high draft picks) while neglecting other key areas. JMHO. 

Leo is 24, the age when most NFL players are starting just their sophomore season. In other words, he still has plenty of room to grow. Last year, after a nice 7-sack season in 2016, he had a wrist industry that no doubt contributed to a slow start. We all know he had little help on the line and was constantly double teamed. Yet he led all 3-4 DEs in QB hits with 17 in 2017, according to PFF. So even though he had only two sacks, he was still among the best defenders at applying consistent pressure on the QB. He also graded out as among the leagues best run defenders. I repeat: He did all this at the age of 24. On top everything else, he’s shown himself to be a good kid, a leader and someone eager to put the work in to get better. So the talk I’m seeing in this thread about him being a “jag” or just an “average” player makes no sense. The facts don’t back it up and, on the contrary, indicate that he is a rising star. I’m glad as hell we have him and fully expect the Jets to extend him. Maybe if some of you looked beyond sack totals you might see this. 

10 hours ago, Jetster said:

Just don't want him to be an overpaid NY Jet. He needs to bring it this season, 2 sacks don't cut it for me as a fan. It's time for Leo the Lion to really show up & put himself on the NFL map, I doubt other fans know that much about him. Time to make himself known.

Like Revis his last year, totally agree.

9 hours ago, Ghost said:

I have no idea why this is even a discussion at this point. 

No one in this discussion is calling Leo a Jag, my point is that AFTER you find your franchise QB your eventually going to have to pay him a small fortune, so it's imperative that the other highest paid players are compensated relative to their production.

Leo is the only player whose contract demands will be very large because he is considered the best player on a very average team. If you don't think his agent won't be asking for Leo to be the highest paid DT in the league you haven't been paying attention to these agents. 

Im hoping Leo takes his play to another level the next 2 years but unless he gets to even a Geno Atkins in his prime level, I doubt he'll be worth the contract he'll be looking for.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

No one in this discussion is calling Leo a Jag, my point is that AFTER you find your franchise QB your eventually going to have to pay him a small fortune, so it's imperative that the other highest paid players are compensated relative to their production.

Leo is the only player whose contract demands will be very large because he is considered the best player on a very average team. If you don't think his agent won't be asking for Leo to be the highest paid DT in the league you haven't been paying attention to these agents. 

Im hoping Leo takes his play to another level the next 2 years but unless he gets to even a Geno Atkins in his prime level, I doubt he'll be worth the contract he'll be looking for.

This is the “dilemma”. These agents are crazy plus with the CBA uncertainty, it’s tough to know what to expect. I love Leo and even though he’s not the Aaron Darnold/JJ Watt type that he was supposed to be (that’s crazy and rare anyways), I think he is a really solid player.

The problem is like you said, the agent will ask for the moon and I’m sorry, Leo hasn’t earned that yet. If he wants top 10 DT money, that would be more than fair given the ever rising cap etc but this is based on him having a better year than last year, our great cap situation and “good faith” for a genuinely good guy/leader that can lead his unit (D-line) for years. Plus, I think his 5th year option is pricey ( $14 million  for DE and $11 million for DT depending on what they classify Leo as) and by not making him wait until it’s over, he may come down on price. We will know more after his performance this year but if we redo the deal early, I believe we will get a reasonable number. Doing it early won’t “hurt” us either since the 5th year option is pretty high and the difference from $11million to $16million annually is not the end of the world and yes I do expect a number of at least $15 million/year from Leo given the current market. 

Like I said in another post, splurge on 1 D line player tops (Leo can and should be that player), use late round picks/FA vets for the other 2 lineman and move on to other positions. 

How often do we actually draft someone good? We lost our core of Brick,Harris, Mangold and Revis but it seems like Leo fits the bill for a new jets core/fan favorite. If he stinks it up and still wants too money, then we have a problem and you cannot overpay THAT much just because. 

6 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is the “dilemma”. These agents are crazy plus with the CBA uncertainty, it’s tough to know what to expect. I love Leo and even though he’s not the Aaron Darnold/JJ Watt type that he was supposed to be (that’s crazy and rare anyways), I think he is a really solid player.

The problem is like you said, the agent will ask for the moon and I’m sorry, Leo hasn’t earned that yet. If he wants top 10 DT money, that would be more than fair given the ever rising cap etc but this is based on him having a better year than last year, our great cap situation and “good faith” for a genuinely good guy/leader that can lead his unit (D-line) for years. Plus, I think his 5th year option is pricey ( $14 million  for DE and $11 million for DT depending on what they classify Leo as) and by not making him wait until it’s over, he may come down on price. We will know more after his performance this year but if we redo the deal early, I believe we will get a reasonable number. Doing it early won’t “hurt” us either since the 5th year option is pretty high and the difference from $11million to $16million annually is not the end of the world and yes I do expect a number of at least $15 million/year from Leo given the current market. 

Like I said in another post, splurge on 1 D line player tops (Leo can and should be that player), use late round picks/FA vets for the other 2 lineman and move on to other positions. 

How often do we actually draft someone good? We lost our core of Brick,Harris, Mangold and Revis but it seems like Leo fits the bill for a new jets core/fan favorite. If he stinks it up and still wants too money, then we have a problem and you cannot overpay THAT much just because. 

My point exactly. I hope he kicks azz!

Leo is 24, the age when most NFL players are starting just their sophomore season. In other words, he still has plenty of room to grow. Last year, after a nice 7-sack season in 2016, he had a wrist industry that no doubt contributed to a slow start. We all know he had little help on the line and was constantly double teamed. Yet he led all 3-4 DEs in QB hits with 17 in 2017, according to PFF. So even though he had only two sacks, he was still among the best defenders at applying consistent pressure on the QB. He also graded out as among the leagues best run defenders. I repeat: He did all this at the age of 24. On top everything else, he’s shown himself to be a good kid, a leader and someone eager to put the work in to get better. So the talk I’m seeing in this thread about him being a “jag” or just an “average” player makes no sense. The facts don’t back it up and, on the contrary, indicate that he is a rising star. I’m glad as hell we have him and fully expect the Jets to extend him. Maybe if some of you looked beyond sack totals you might see this. 

Oh, you mean Jets fans are frequently dumb and wrong? Who knew.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived