Rule: If you love Baker Mayfield, you hate Sam Darnold.

Patriot Killa

Skip Bayless thinks Darnold isn’t that great and he will disappoint us in the future. Says he’s a good guy but he tries too hard to be liked and NY is going to eat him up — Skip loves Mayfield

Colin Cowherd thinks Sam Darnold is an elite player in the making and has the absolute perfect temperament for NY, he thinks we won the draft and even likened the situation where CLE passed on Darnold to my poor Blazers taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. — Colin doesn’t think Mayfield is all that great for a #1 pick.

Will Cain hugged Mayfields nuts on air the other day while he also bashed Darnold and did nothing but make fun of his California accent. He treated Baker as a god and made it seem as if Sam has no business even being considered a franchise QB.

it seems like most these sports personalities like one but hate the other..and i’m not sure why.  Is it some sort of unspoken rule that if you like one then you must bash the other? And is specifically Mayfield/Darnold being thrown in this hate/love mixing pot during discussions. No one talks about the others.

just curious of the motivation for those feelings behind these talk show/debate show personalities. It’s just a slight trend I have caught on to.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like them both. I like Rosen too.  Have no issue cheering for them (when not playing the Jets).  However, I am very happy Sam is with the Jets and I think he will be very good. 

Media has to have these arguments because they need the narrative of someone making the "wrong" pick.  Drives discussion, even if unproductive as each QB likely went to the perfect place for them.

24 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Skip Bayless thinks Darnold isn’t that great and he will disappoint us in the future. Says he’s a good guy but he tries too hard to be liked and NY is going to eat him up — Skip loves Mayfield

Colin Cowherd thinks Sam Darnold is an elite player in the making and has the absolute perfect temperament for NY, he thinks we won the draft and even likened the situation where CLE passed on Darnold to my poor Blazers taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. — Colin doesn’t think Mayfield is all that great for a #1 pick.

Will Cain hugged Mayfields nuts on air the other day while he also bashed Darnold and did nothing but make fun of his California accent. He treated Baker as a god and made it seem as if Sam has no business even being considered a franchise QB.

it seems like most these sports personalities like one but hate the other..and i’m not sure why.  Is it some sort of unspoken rule that if you like one then you must bash the other? And is specifically Mayfield/Darnold being thrown in this hate/love mixing pot during discussions. No one talks about the others.

just curious of the motivation for those feelings behind these talk show/debate show personalities. It’s just a slight trend I have caught on to.

^Florida Man

15 minutes ago, jbt said:

they do it for the tv/radio so they can argue with someone.

Mostly this!

Based on very, very early returns it does look like both of these QBs could turn out to be excellent.  I don't think you have to hate one in order to love the other, and vice versa.  In fact, I do like both of these guys but I think we got the best one.  Just an opinion.

If Darnold went #1 and the Jets got Mayfield I'd still be happy saying that I believe we got the 2nd best QB in the draft.

These two guys will forever be linked simply because of the unexpected decision John Dorsey made at #1.  It's neither QB's fault.  They can only go where they're selected.  But it does put a little more pressure on Mayfield and the Browns' decision since they left Sam Darnold on the Draft Board.  The Jets never had the opportunity to take Baker.

Whether Darnold succeeds or fails I'll never criticize the decision to take him there at #3.  Smartest thing we've done in a decade and could be the best trade-up in Round 1 since we went up to #14 to get Revis in 2007.

25 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

they're all morons.  mayfield will probably be a decent qb as will darnold.  the talking heads are all about personalities an subjectivity.  morons like bayless are not objective at all.

25 minutes ago, tfine said:

Skip Bayless also said Bryce Petty was the Jets QB of the future.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Skip is not that hard to figure out.

Skip grew up in Oklahoma, spent much of his professional career in Texas.  And he liked Bryce and now he likes Mayfield.  Not exactly a shock.

As far as I am concerned, I just want Sam to be a great QB - will not diminish it at all if Baker turns out to be great too.  Because he is in our Division, and it is fun to laugh at Buffalo, I hope Allen sucks; but I would be happy for the Browns and their fans if Baker is good.  Let him kick Pittsburgh's asses twice a year for the next decade.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Mostly this!

Based on very, very early returns it does look like both of these QBs could turn out to be excellent.  I don't think you have to hate one in order to love the other, and vice versa.  In fact, I do like both of these guys but I think we got the best one.  Just an opinion.

If Darnold went #1 and the Jets got Mayfield I'd still be happy saying that I believe we got the 2nd best QB in the draft.

These two guys will forever be linked simply because of the unexpected decision John Dorsey made at #1.  It's neither QB's fault.  They can only go where they're selected.  But it does put a little more pressure on Mayfield and the Browns' decision since they left Sam Darnold on the Draft Board.  The Jets never had the opportunity to take Baker.

Whether Darnold succeeds or fails I'll never criticize the decision to take him there at #3.  Smartest thing we've done in a decade and could be the best trade-up in Round 1 since we went up to #14 to get Revis in 2007.

totally agree.  i was going for mayfield primarily because i thought darnold was going to go no. 1.  both of these guys look like they have the physical and mental talent to succeed.  and it will be good if they both do.  the jets and the browns need wins.

30 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is a good point and I never understood this way of thinking.  I guess they think they have to take strong positions in order to get ratings.  Personally, I think they are both going to be good but I'm glad we got Darnold.

I preferred Mayfield.

Then Darnold.

Then Allen.

I hope Darnold proves me wrong, and his (very) early signs have thus-far been promising.

My biggest concern was his turnovers.  After Pennington, Sanchez and Geno, and everyone in between, I've seen enough Jets INT's to last a lifetime.

This is why I can't wait to see Darnold play (play, not just hand off an entire half) in PS Games #2 and #3, vs. legit NFL #1's.

No injuries (hope #1) behind this sh*t O-line, and no turnovers (hope #2).

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Skip is not that hard to figure out.

Skip grew up in Oklahoma, spent much of his professional career in Texas.  And he liked Bryce and now he likes Mayfield.  Not exactly a shock.

As far as I am concerned, I just want Sam to be a great QB - will not diminish it at all if Baker turns out to be great too.  Because he is in our Division, and it is fun to laugh at Buffalo, I hope Allen sucks; but I would be happy for the Browns and their fans if Baker is good.  Let him kick Pittsburgh's asses twice a year for the next decade.

He loved Cutler because he played at Vandy, his school.

He loved Tebow, still thinks he can be an elite QB who is a winner.

Who cares what guys looking for ratings think?  

Everything Skip Bayless says about Mayfield he also said about Manziel when he came out. Not that I think Mayfield is another Manziel -- I think he'll actually be a good QB.

But as others have said, they're just trying to get a rise out of people for the clicks and hits.

29 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

That means it’s time to choose a side, buddy.

@Villain The Foe

Im siding with Brian Baldinger on this one. Baker Mayfield is f'ing special. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/baldys-breakdowns/0ap3000000947413/Breaking-down-Baker-Mayfield-s-NFL-debut-Baldy-s-Breakdown

Glad to have the 2nd best QB in Sam Darnold tho. I can always say that "The Jets didnt pass on Mayfield, he simply wasnt available". Im content with that. 

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t care about what anyone of them have to say, dude. 

I’m simply making an observation of the media.

Play the game or don’t.

You didn't get that everyone you listed makes a living with shows totally based on debate?  Kind of hard to debate anytime it's you like everyone

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im siding with Brian Baldinger on this one. Baker Mayfield is f'ing special. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/baldys-breakdowns/0ap3000000947413/Breaking-down-Baker-Mayfield-s-NFL-debut-Baldy-s-Breakdown

Glad to have the 2nd best QB in Sam Darnold tho. I can always say that "The Jets didnt pass on Mayfield, he simply wasnt available". Im content with that. 

I gotta disagree. He’s not going to be better than Darnold.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You didn't get that everyone you listed makes a living with shows totally based on debate?  Kind of hard to debate anytime it's you like everyone

Again, simply making an observation of liking a player while also disliking the other. Maybe it’s traits and little things some see while opposed to the other player who has opposite traits that other people may like in him. 

I’m not scolding debates. I’m just making an observation of the trend.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Again, simply making an observation of liking a player while also disliking the other. Maybe it’s traits and little things some see while opposed to the other player who has opposite traits that other people may like in him. 

I’m not scolding debates. I’m just making an observation of the trend.

No, I get what you're saying.  Just wouldn't worry about what time of these guys say.  All the personnel, draft experts favored Sam.  Debate guys looking for ratings are split and argue with whoever is lined up across the table. 

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I gotta disagree. He’s not going to be better than Darnold.

That's cool. I've been siding with Baker since 2016 before folks knew the name Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield even. I'll be siding with him afterwards. 

He literally has me following Browns football. I liked what I seen from Darnold on Friday, the dude is talented, and to be just 21 years old, he literally reeks of talent. But he still has some work in front of him, mainly ball security. Darnold is most likely going to start for this football team sometime this year, if not, by week 1. If he can maintain ball security and play "Sam Darnold Football" then we may FINALLY see a guy dethrone Joe Namath as the face of this franchise. 

I think Baker Mayfield is a generational talent. I could be absolutely wrong here, but I believe that's what I've been seeing.

Im talking one of the "all time greats" type potential. 

I've been riding this wagon for almost 3 years, might as well stay on and see where it goes. 

Im just loyal like that. 

4 minutes ago, GATA-Bot said:

I never liked Mayfield, but I don't hate the guy. 

I'm just happy we got Sammy.

I never liked Sam Darnold, but I didnt hate him either. 

I really liked what he did on Friday night. 

Sam made a case for himself like Baker has. 

Sam and Baker were clearly the two best rookie QB's of week 1, and not just stat wise. How they played the position and managed the offense, like a point guard if you will, was very impressive. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I never like Sam Darnold, but I didnt hate him either. 

I really liked what he did on Friday night. 

Sam made a case for himself like Baker has. 

Sam and Baker were clearly the two best rookie QB's of week 1, and not just stat wise. How they played the position and managed the offense, like a point guard if you will, was very impressive. 

Based off that one performance, I don't see how you can not start him day one, let alone redshirting him the entire year, as Hue Jackson said he plans to do. He's 23 years old and clearly ready. The pressure on Jackson to start him should make for some good Hard Knocks episodes.

11 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Based off that one performance, I don't see how you can not start him day one, let alone redshirting him the entire year, as Hue Jackson said he plans to do. He's 23 years old and clearly ready. The pressure on Jackson to start him should make for some good Hard Knocks episodes.

Because its one performance, not even a complete 4 quarter performance...and it's a game that doesnt even count. 

I'll say it again and again. Baker Mayfield is in the best situation. He has talent around him offensively, a decent oline, an offensive coordinator with some stripes in this league and a guy in Tyrod to compete with. 

Lets not forget, Ty went 5 for 5 for 99 yards, a TD and a perfect QB rating. Lets also not forget that this is the same Ty that took the Bills to a playoff birth after like 20 years. 

Baker Mayfield can sit out this year, learn under Hailey, become a pro and next year take the league by storm. 

They need to treat him more like Aaron Rodgers, not like the last 20+ QB's they drafted and threw out there. And dont get me wrong, I think Mayfield could hold his own, but there's no need to rush him when you have Tyrod Taylor...a guy who's a starter-quality QB in the NFL. 

Let it be Tyrod's job to lose, not it being thristy to get Mayfield on the field. Let Mayfield earn it in that regard. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

986668.jpg

Archived