Josh Norman on Darnold

Lith

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets fans are not the only ones giddy about rookie quarterback Sam Darnold.

Darnold is starting to draw praise from his opponents as well, specifically Redskins cornerback Josh Norman.

Following the third and final join practice between Washington and New York on Tuesday, the outspoken Norman, gushed about Darnold to the media.

“This little kid does not make mistakes. He’s really accurate,” Norman said. “You get rookies in here and try to mess with them and bait them a little bit … and he’s not having it…. It’s crazy to see for such an early age. He’s impressed me.”

Norman went on to compare Darnold to both Dak Prescott and Carson Wentz, who both had great success early in their careers.

“So far, he’s impressed me and I didn’t want him to, I want to break all rookies back’s,” Norman concluded. “He’s been doing a great job”

http://thesportsdaily.com/2018/08/14/redskins-cb-josh-norman-raves-about-jets-rookie-sam-darnold-jlaca11/

When you have other players outside of this organization give a glowing endorsement of your player - et alone, your rookie quarterback, its gets extremely hard not wipe that stupid smile off your face.

We cant possibly ask for much more regarding Darnold than we've already gotten so far.  Keep in mind, he missed some camp time, and he is just 21 years old.

This rules.

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We need to give Bridgewater most of the reps after this week. Showcase him as much we can to get a good draft pick for him. We need them.

I think by having Uncle Josh sit a lot, Bridgewater will get those reps. If he does well and holds up behind our shaky backup O-line, that will go along way for his value and him proving himself again. 

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We need to give Bridgewater most of the reps after this week. Showcase him as much we can to get a good draft pick for him. We need them.

No way.  Keep feeding Darnold.  Bridgewater’s value is only going to be increased by a sudden change of need for another team.  Only thing the Jets need to do is show that Teddy is healthy.  

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

No way.  Keep feeding Darnold.  Bridgewater’s value is only going to be increased by a sudden change of need for another team.  Only thing the Jets need to do is show that Teddy is healthy.  

I think darnold will get a lot more reps once Bridgewater is out of here. Nobody is knocking on the Jets door yet because they haven’t seen much of him in real games. Plenty of teams that could use a capable number 2 Who may jump their 1

16 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  I don't want to stunt Darnolds growth to showcase Teddy.  Plus no one cares what Teddy looks like, everyone knows what he is.  They just wanted to see if he's healthy and can play.  Camp and the first game showed he was.  Can only ruin it IMO

6 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I think darnold will get a lot more reps once Bridgewater is out of here. Nobody is knocking on the Jets door yet because they haven’t seen much of him in real games. Plenty of teams that could use a capable number 2 Who may jump their 1

Taking away reps from Darnold to somehow boost Bridgewaters trade value is lunacy.   Teddy will show what he needs to with the reps he’s been getting.  

10 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Darnold first half, Bridgewater 2nd Half. That's plenty of reps for BW plus if we don't trade him before, he will have the entire 4th PS game against the Eagles. 

38 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Darnold is starting week one. Bridgewater should be playing the 2nd half. Darnold should be playing with the 1s. 

49 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I doubt McCown plays again this PS..Maybe a series...It'll be Darnold starting and playing 2+/3 qtrs and Teddy getting the rest. The league knows what Teddy can do when healthy and he's demonstrated last week he is. It'll come down to which team(s) need him for whatever reason

22 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Taking away reps from Darnold to somehow boost Bridgewaters trade value is lunacy.   Teddy will show what he needs to with the reps he’s been getting.  

You don’t think teddy is already taking reps away from darnold ? Pull the bandaid off fast, why let teddy continue to take away reps from Sam in practice, pre games? Showcase now and move him out, so Sam can take 70-80 % of reps 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/988323002

Josh Norman raves about Jets QB Sam Darnold: 'He's putting it on the money'

MIKE JONES | USA TODAY 
sam-darnold.jpg
SportPulse: It's the most wonderful time of year! No, not Christmas. That window of time just after Week 1 of the NFL preseason where we get to overreact about everything.
USA TODAY

RICHMOND, Va. – Entering this week’s joint training camp practices with the New York Jets, cornerback Josh Norman didn’t know what to expect from rookie quarterback Sam Darnold.

He’d heard of him, sure, and saw highlights from his preseason debut. But that’s about it. Even after one day of practice, the Redskins’ star didn’t see anything particularly special in Darnold, whom the Jets drafted third overall and this week seem to be preparing for his first start (Thursday night against Washington).

Aug 13, 2018; Washington, DC, USA; New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold (14) walks onto the field prior to a joint practice with the Washington Redskins at Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center. Mandatory Credit: Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports
Aug 13, 2018; Washington, DC, USA; New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold (14) walks onto the field prior to a joint practice with the Washington Redskins at Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center. Mandatory Credit: Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports
GEOFF BURKE, GEOFF BURKE-USA TODAY SPORTS

But two more days of facing Darnold changed Norman’s mind.

“You go out here and see him with these throws and it's like, ‘That’s not so much of a college-level throw. He's putting it on the money,’ ” Norman said Tuesday following his team’s final practice against the Jets. “Then you go out there 7-on-7 and it's like, ‘Doggit, this little kid is not making mistakes.' He's really accurate! It’s like, dang! You try to get rookies in here and you're trying to mess with them and bait them and throw a route you can make a play on and he's not having it. It's crazy to see it at such an early age. Dak (Prescott) has that, Carson (Wentz) has that. ... He, so far, has impressed me, and I didn't want him to. I wanted to break all rookie's backs.”

Norman did his best to demoralize Darnold. He acknowledged trying to bait the quarterback into an interception during one 7-on-7 drill in particular.

“I kind of gave him some cheese,” Norman said before describing the play on which he planned to trick Darnold into thinking his receiver was open. Then, Norman planned to jump the route and pick off the pass.

“He was going to throw it, then he pulled it back, so I was like, ‘You little devil. I see you. You’re working really good right now.’ I couldn’t bait him like I wanted to. He saw it and read it like a vet, and I had to tip my hat to him because he’s learning at an early age when someone is messing with him or not. I think he’s got the smarts and willingness. He’s going to make plays.”

This is making news on a lot of different sports sites.

Archived